Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368447 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2453 on: May 29, 2009, 09:48:33 AM »
He only got up once in the night, which is very unusual, but it's the second night in a row he's done that. However he wasn't too senior to find the kitchen and eat up Max's Applaws! Not good for him, but to be honest I hope he enjoyed it.

A bit of secret noshing sounds well good!  :)  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2452 on: May 29, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »
I'll have to try that  ;D first get some clothes pegs as in a flat we don't have a washing line!

The thing is he walks off too in the middle of it. How long should it take to get about 50mls - 60mls in him using a 21 syringe and squeezing the bag a bit? It comes out very slowly but I don't want to give too much either. The vet said a golf ball sized lump, but that happens with only about 10mls fluid  :Crazy:

He only got up once in the night, which is very unusual, but it's the second night in a row he's done that. However he wasn't too senior to find the kitchen and eat up Max's Applaws! Not good for him, but to be honest I hope he enjoyed it.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2451 on: May 28, 2009, 23:12:14 PM »
Have you tried the cloths peg trick to see if that stops him wriggling? http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_giving_set.htm#clothes_peg_trick  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2450 on: May 28, 2009, 20:50:40 PM »
Tried sub Qs again. He was restrained (theoretically) but still managed to keep moving, so we sub q'd the carpet. I have to get better at this and fast.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2449 on: May 28, 2009, 06:25:23 AM »
Poor Little feller.  Sending special hugs and Paddy purrs for all of you this morning   :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2448 on: May 27, 2009, 22:20:23 PM »
we are going to have to do bloods (somehow: Swampy doesn't allow it often). Novartis say that Fortekor does increase potassium if a cat is eating quite well, which he is at the moment and Swampy is on Kaminox (potassium, iron, amino acids) 2x daily for his anaemia. CRF lowers potassium though but the only way to tell is via bloods. Same with anaemia, so please hope that Swampy allows bloods in the next week.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2447 on: May 27, 2009, 09:27:44 AM »
He's suddenly so senior this morning. I don't know if it's because of the cold and his cold too, but he's been crying and digging up his bed and a bit restless, poor old boy. I had to cuddle him from 4.30am for an hour (lots of purrs, so worth it)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2446 on: May 25, 2009, 21:38:24 PM »
Swampy's not too bad. We'll have to sort out the fluids thing as he is permanently a little dehydrated. It's kept in check by the fact that he has about 7 or 8 small meals of wet food with some water added in 24 hours and of course he drinks. He tells me if he can't find the water and wants to drink by 'nose-coning' ie he walks slowly around with his nose to the ground trying to sniff out the water so all we have to do is help him to the bowl. His cold's not great which makes him sick sometimes, which doesn't help of course.
But he got cuddled and we 'danced' around the room to some nice spotify music this morning and there were mega purrs.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2445 on: May 25, 2009, 17:09:17 PM »
How's Swampy today?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2444 on: May 24, 2009, 19:15:29 PM »
  I hope he has managed some fluids and glad to hear he enjoyed some sun.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2443 on: May 24, 2009, 12:57:28 PM »
he had a lovely time on the roof, but sub cuts are going to be impossible. I think I'm either going to have to just do it whatever he thinks 2- 3 times a week for a few minutes of annoyance or put in that catheter that you just have to top up. Basically he felt the needle and did what he does with any blood tests - move suddenly and violently to avoid it. He's only drunk a little today despite his skin folds being a little dehydrated so can't be too thirsty.

Had a good purr outside though and this time I moved him to the shade after 15 mins so he didn't get too hot.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2442 on: May 24, 2009, 11:34:08 AM »
Sending more vibes to you all~~~~~ :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2441 on: May 24, 2009, 11:15:18 AM »
He's still subdued and vomited up his food in the night (his cold's not clever). But mega purrs and I managed to cut his very long nails this morning while he sat on my lap. we are planning to give him a little sub cuts too as he is a little dehydrated and not wanting to move - so eating and drinking less. I hope we don't mess it up and he doesn't mind too much.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2440 on: May 23, 2009, 20:26:45 PM »
He's doing really well though isn't he?  So a little set back now and then is probably to be expected.  Hope you all have a wonderful quiet night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2439 on: May 23, 2009, 18:59:42 PM »
Yes they are definitely comforting each other. Swampy's not had such a good day today - missed the tray and not eating that well so I gave him pepcid. But full of purrs and had a little outing on the roof in the sun (hope for more tomorrow). thanks for keeping the vibes coming for him too  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2438 on: May 23, 2009, 17:12:28 PM »
Not heard anything today Kate, hope everything is ok>?

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2437 on: May 23, 2009, 11:37:04 AM »
How is Swampy coping with Max being ill, i know if any of mine are off colour some of them come and seem to offer comfort to whoever is ill at the time, i do hope hes doing well and you are staying calm, hard i know :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2436 on: May 22, 2009, 22:22:45 PM »
He is a real little trooper, he's had so many things to cope with over a number of years but is still a love sponge. He's really one in a gazillion (or more).  The new carrier arrived today and with a cat in it it is pretty heavy but I think it's loads better than the old plastic little "frontloader" one. It's green with a red fastening wand so looks quite smart. yes, the arm muscles coming up the stairs were groaning (or what's left of the arm muscles).

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2435 on: May 21, 2009, 11:43:36 AM »
I am glad to read that Swampy is still doing well,hang in there boyo :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2434 on: May 21, 2009, 06:59:29 AM »
You'll have muscles like Arnie Schwarz-thingie in no time!  :evillaugh:  :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2433 on: May 20, 2009, 22:19:16 PM »
What a clever boy Swampy is, hopefully you can get him used to going in it without getting stressed bless him :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2432 on: May 20, 2009, 16:07:12 PM »
Well done Swampy boy what a star again.  Perhaps you should regularly put him in it and carry him around so he does get completely used to being in there?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2431 on: May 19, 2009, 13:18:55 PM »
I put him in and carried him down the passage, which he thought was a lovely little adventure and purred his sweet little head off. I may do the same for him later when he wakes up.  He found some of Max's reject tuna renal and had a nibble too. But the egg....noooo  :sick: thought that was just a terrible idea.

Does anyone know if NF has more or fewer calories than k/d as thought I may risk it by giving him a little bit now and then if it's more? They weren't involved in the chinese food scandal were they? I always worry about the cereals in prescription renal food, but Swampy loves k/d, so he must have it. With all that is going on with Max, Swampy is my de-stress little magic man.

PS went down to the common hallway (down 45 stairs - phew the wire carrier is heavy) with him inside and then up again....purrs.....wouldn't be the same in a car though. I've ordered one the same size 61 x 30 x 30 cms so will be a gym workout. OH was resisting yet more money at the moment, but we have to be able to take him to the emergency vet in a carrier that is as least stressful as possible, should it be necessary. I hope we never have to use it but you never know.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 14:37:55 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2430 on: May 18, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
I'm going to try the wire carrier borrowed from the vet later today, now that Swampy is a bit calmer with his Max to sleep on (head on tum).  The one on the site is quite a bit shorter though. I think they must have lent me a recovery cage.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2429 on: May 17, 2009, 20:01:18 PM »
Iv used the company before and can vouch for service  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2428 on: May 16, 2009, 21:00:01 PM »
brilliant, thank you. I borrowed one from the vet to see if he's go in it or not. We have to have something in case a home visit isn't possible like at night.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2427 on: May 16, 2009, 19:22:39 PM »
They are about £20 from metalcote, i much prefer them for stressy cats
I cant remember if prices shown include vat or not  :doh:

http://catbaskets.co.uk/

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2426 on: May 16, 2009, 09:17:55 AM »
He's not weeing much, which right now is causing me a bit of concern.  What I've asked the vet is can I borrow one of their wire carriers (they cost £50+ new apparently!) to see if Swampy would go into one without panicking in an emergency. All of this rush to Vet's Now (1/2 hr in the car from here) with Max made me wonder what if? for Swampy. He won't go into the little plastic carrier any more. I tried one day to take him out of the window and he became very anxious.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2425 on: May 15, 2009, 13:41:51 PM »
It is amazing sometimes, our furbabes never cease to impress! Hugs for the Swampster too!  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2424 on: May 15, 2009, 13:27:42 PM »
wise words from Maddiesmum, Kate.  One day at a time.   :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2423 on: May 15, 2009, 13:21:50 PM »
you're right  :hug:  When I came back from visiting Max this morning, Swampy was sitting quietly on the futon, waiting for his mum to come back and see to him and give him more k/d.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2422 on: May 15, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »
Stop worrying, he is eating, not too bad with his circling and otherwise as happy as he can be save for missing Max.  Please Kate talk to yourself and rid yourself of these black thoughts, I know what it is like it's horrendous and you have to really focus on staying positive and talking down your anxiety.  Things aren't as black as you think right now and hopefully they wont be  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2421 on: May 15, 2009, 10:54:40 AM »
I weighed Swampy this morning because with the extra stress he's been eating more (and more coming out the other end last night). He's down to 4.5kgs. I know I should realise that this is entirely normal in a 17 1/2 yr old cat, but it just feels like more bad news to have lost another 100g despite eating so well. Little man seems calmer though. I sent him all the love and vibes sent from Purrs through his head. I told Max about everyone on here's good wishes for him while I was holding him on my knee and he was purring. Sometimes I talk to Max's head too as I tend to forget he can hear!  :Crazy:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2420 on: May 14, 2009, 21:10:54 PM »
Bless him he must wonder where Max is.  Hopefully things will settle down when Max is home.  Hope you have a quiet night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2419 on: May 14, 2009, 20:35:29 PM »
He reminds me of when he'd just had his accident and it took constant meals to comfort him. He's eaten a lot since Max was in hospital, maybe getting through about 2 tins of k/d in 24 hours. He eats a small meal every 2 - 3 hours all day and night. He's also been a bit senior and vestibular. I don't know if seeing Max on saturday will perk him up or confuse him further, but I hope Max doesn't avoid and hiss at him. If he came home from hospital Max would hiss at him, we'll see about the other way round. He also needs loads of reassurance when he is awake, but I'm always up for a cuddle.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2418 on: May 14, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »
Poor fella he must be confused.  Hope he settles down:)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2417 on: May 14, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
 :hug: :hug: He is getting up more in the night and needing more help and vocalising a bit. I don't know if the longer Max is in hospital, the easier it may get. But he's eating well, although some of that can be due to nerves. He is ok in the daytime as when he is awake, I try to be around (or Laura in the afternoon if I am Max visiting). There are just certain things no human, no matter how much I love him and he loves back, can do in the place of a cat.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2416 on: May 13, 2009, 20:22:23 PM »
Topping up the positive vibes.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2415 on: May 13, 2009, 20:02:46 PM »
A ton of vibes for both boys and you and OH from Manchester.   :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2414 on: May 13, 2009, 17:19:34 PM »
Lots of positive happy and healing vibes coming your way, im sure they will soon both be back together, :hug:

Link to CatChat