Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368370 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2493 on: June 10, 2009, 18:40:21 PM »
thanks, I will try his ears next time.

I had to visit Max today and decided to stay a bit longer in the hope that Swampy (who was having a reasonably good day) would be ok at home for 2 hours unsupervised. I left out some food in the kitchen, took a deep breath and went out. When I came back he was in his bed and all the food had been munched and he is having a lovely purr. I can't do this every day by any means, but what a relief and he is just magic.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2492 on: June 10, 2009, 08:03:15 AM »
You can put it on ears and also in food.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2491 on: June 09, 2009, 23:38:13 PM »
apparently there's an alcohol free RR so will try to get that. However the water bowl is now a big, flattish dog bowl so Swampy can find it easily. A few drops may not be quite enough in that vol of water. Swampy has been quiet today, slept a lot, eaten a bit less and quite purry when awake, so perhaps (who knows?) the upset will come in episodes. I read something today on the importance of touch, which is something we'd realised now that he is blind-deaf. I'm now taking 5 mins longer to keep touching and stroking him when i settle him down.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2490 on: June 09, 2009, 08:27:49 AM »
The Cinnamon Trust use Rescue Remedy when they have pairs of cats and one is seriously ill, I will see if i can dig out the newsletter that was in and if there is any more info than that - alternatively, you could ring them, and maybe someone can advise you?
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2489 on: June 09, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »
To be honest I never though my Dragan would cope with losing Pepsi the dog but he did.  He lost her and his two cat buddies and he thrived on being the only cat with all the attention.  He used to sleep with the dog and go into the garden with her for a potter.  He used to eat from her dish and head butt her all day.  Stop projecting things that might not happen, ie Swampy wont cope.  They surprise us all the time.  I know it is part of the anxiety pattern and we can't help it but try to focus on the good things Swampy is doing and not worry yourself sick over what might be (having said that who is the worst worrier in the world? Me)  Big hugs to you all and I am here at the end of the phone if you need a shoulder  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2488 on: June 08, 2009, 22:03:58 PM »
His dementia (I think that is is; agitation and over eating) is worse today, without Max. I don't know if he will cope. How long does it generally - if there are rules of course as everyone and every cat is different - take to know if an old cat can cope with the loss of a life long companion and is there anything I can do to help him.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2487 on: June 08, 2009, 13:33:55 PM »
Brillians news.  Keep up the good work Swampy  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2486 on: June 08, 2009, 12:44:18 PM »
Brilliant, WTG Swampy boy :)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2485 on: June 08, 2009, 06:57:51 AM »
Was just thinking same thing as Bazsmum.  Hope you had a good night with him.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2484 on: June 08, 2009, 04:54:28 AM »
That is good news....here's hoping Swampy is on the up, certainly sounds as if having his pal back has done him the world of good!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2483 on: June 07, 2009, 20:54:02 PM »
we went for a walk and came back to find him in the bedroom down the passage, wandering about. I don't know if it was just self correcting or if it's because Max is back.  I hope it's a self correcting thing. We'd left the door open for Max who was in the bedroom, to come back in, never thinking Swampy would go for a walk by himself. I think he was 'looking' for the kitchen to eat something but turned left a bit soon! But he was calmly exploring and in a really good mood. I so hope it lasts.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2482 on: June 06, 2009, 14:36:33 PM »
Lots of hugs and positive vibes for Swampy and you too :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2481 on: June 06, 2009, 14:28:17 PM »
Sending more prayers and vibes to Swampy...hoping that with Max back home he will be happier!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2480 on: June 06, 2009, 14:26:58 PM »
please send your prayers and vibes for little Swampy too as he's not feeling too well again. His vestibular disease has started up after 2 months of being ok.  I have to put him back on abs if it continues another 24 hours, to see if that still helps as it did before. But sometimes he can self correct and be ok again, so please hope for him that he can. He is cheerful, purring when stroked and cuddled and eating ok, but a bit more subdued and lying down a lot and circling left, which is always worse for some reason, than right.  So far Max has roundly ignored him so he doesn't know that Max is back. I will bring Max in here later on and I hope he will curl up with him and we'll see if that makes any difference at all.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2479 on: June 05, 2009, 15:31:57 PM »
 :grouphug: Cat nip makes one of my cats drool!  :sick:

Big head rubs for darling Swampy.....and lots of love to yourself!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2478 on: June 05, 2009, 15:03:37 PM »
Oh dear he is doing so well isn't he?  Maybe just a glitch because he is upset without Max.  Hopefully he will settle and you can leave him safely. You don't need all this stress Kaste  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2477 on: June 05, 2009, 08:42:09 AM »
He's been so good for a while now with his vestibular problems - more than 2 months - but at 2am it started again. He's going left and not finding stuff and getting stressed. I am so worried, I hope it will self correct and it isn't because Max isn't here. It means I am going to struggle when I go to see Max in case Swampy needs help. He's fine as soon as he's rescued.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2476 on: June 05, 2009, 07:03:48 AM »
Just popping by with early morning cuddles for you and Swampy, Kate.   :hug: :hug: :hug:  He's bound to be missing his Max Monster.   :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2475 on: June 04, 2009, 19:59:24 PM »
wow clever boy swampy  :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2474 on: June 04, 2009, 19:27:16 PM »
Well he found the kitchen and cleaned the plate while I was out and found his way back to bed, so maybe he overdid the catmint grazing, just I've not seen him drool when he ate it before. He's just sitting quietly in his bed this evening but I'm sure he is missing his brother.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2473 on: June 04, 2009, 18:45:31 PM »
I was gonna say about cat mint the other day...it has the same effects as nip!  ;) :Luv: :hug:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 18:47:20 PM by Bazsmum »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2472 on: June 04, 2009, 13:40:36 PM »
Catmint can do that sometimes.  Might also be responsible for his wobbly walk too  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2471 on: June 04, 2009, 13:30:29 PM »
Swampy had 45 mins on the roof in the sun which he loved, but he drooled when he ate some catmint (like when they taste something bad) so I took it away. He started walking not so well on the roof, which is typical as I have to leave him alone today for 2 hours when I visit Max because Laura is working elsewhere. I hate leaving him but must do so as Max needs his mum too.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2470 on: June 04, 2009, 08:53:03 AM »
Hope Swampy managed to have a peaceful night last night and you to, im sending those vibes for you both and lots of hugs :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2469 on: June 04, 2009, 02:17:27 AM »
Aw give Swampy big head rubs from me and mine!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2468 on: June 03, 2009, 22:21:16 PM »
Kate could you get a larger cuddly toy and take it with you to the vets and rub  it up against Max so his smell is on it, that maybe will comfort Swampy a little bit  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2467 on: June 03, 2009, 20:44:34 PM »
Swampy - Paddy sez, yoo can snuzzle wiv him anytimes yoo likes - just close dem luvverly eyes, an' finks of Paddy or Max, an'nen next fings yer knoes is dat dey will be dere..... jus' fer yoo.   ;) :Luv:  Rown d' clock.   ;)  :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2466 on: June 03, 2009, 17:32:53 PM »
Poor little Swampy it must feel odd for him without his furry pillow.  It is worth trying a bigger toy but, as you say, he wont be easily fooled.  Hope he manages to settle tonight.  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2465 on: June 03, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »
He was restless last night and kept getting up to eat and to have a little miaow before settling again for another hour or so. Most tiring night for quite a while. I hope he will get used to being on his own, should the worst happen with our Max. Right now he is asleep. He purrs when we comfort him, but it shows how much he loves having Max around. I was wondering if a bigger sized soft toy may comfort him. I tried a small seal toy but he licked it once then realised it wasn't his buddy. Swampy is such a bright cat too, not easily foxed.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2464 on: June 02, 2009, 22:46:58 PM »
thanks, well he's had a lot of it now. We have 2 plants and some dry stuff from them. I hope it makes him happy as yesterday he was fine without Max, but today I think he is missing him more. He has eaten a bit too much (like comfort food eating) and is more restless and active, getting up and wandering around more. We cuddled him a lot tonight and try to make sure that when he is awake, someone goes to touch and reassure him (as he is deaf-blind) and he's eating happily as I type.  I hope he will be all right tonight as I must try to get a few hours sleep.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2463 on: June 02, 2009, 22:39:40 PM »
Ive tried several times to grow catmint but it never gets very far as no matter where i hide it my lot always find it and devour it in one go :sneaky:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2462 on: June 02, 2009, 15:14:44 PM »
Winston sits in the pot with it and chews it so i would say its okay .
Mega healing vibes are sent every day for Max and Swampy from me and the family every day . :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2461 on: June 02, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
We have a plant and ours chew whole leaves off, so I'm assuming it's safe! ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2460 on: June 02, 2009, 09:05:40 AM »
is it all right if cats eat catmint (presumably?) as Swampy just ate a whole mouthful of dry catmint like a cow eats grass. He seems to enjoy munching it, in the roof garden or dry. OH put out some dry for him. Just checking that he's ok with it if anyone knows?

he had a calm night without Max. I hope his day will be ok too as he adjusts. I'm off to see my little hospital patient in 10 mins time.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2459 on: June 01, 2009, 07:19:10 AM »
So glad he managed to make the most of the sunshine, even if the clothes pegs weren't a great success.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2458 on: May 31, 2009, 16:38:42 PM »
Glad he managed some time on the roof, he really seems to enjoy that:)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2457 on: May 31, 2009, 15:56:09 PM »
He didn't mind the clothes pegs at all. But when I put in the needle, he started going nuts again and getting upset.

Oh, what a shame, but it was worth a try. Glad to hear he's enjoying the sun anyway  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2456 on: May 30, 2009, 23:24:01 PM »
Have you tried the cloths peg trick to see if that stops him wriggling? http://www.felinecrf.org/giving_sub-qs_giving_set.htm#clothes_peg_trick  :hug:

He didn't mind the clothes pegs at all. But when I put in the needle, he started going nuts again and getting upset. We managed a very little, about a minute, then he jerked around and rolled on his back in one fast movement, so getting rid of the pesky needle once and for all.  I can see that we are going to have to have that horrible catheter put into him because then he will tolerate fluids. I mean the vet's got 13 years' experience and he still can't get blood out of Swampy quite often and always with a struggle.  He's never been easy but it's worse since he was blind.

But he had a great 1/2 hour on the roof laying down in the sun. He won't lie on the towel but lies on the shingle, so dumb-mum just worked out he likes the warmth. I must get some old tiles or something and put them down for him to be ultra comfy! The sun's great and he loves it, so long may it last.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2455 on: May 29, 2009, 16:44:26 PM »
not too bad thanks. He had 1/2 hour on the roof and loved his tum tickled out there and gave me a few lovebites, all of which was good. I'm taking him for another wander down the passage as he's up and about this afternoon.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2454 on: May 29, 2009, 15:42:46 PM »
How;'s he doing today?  :hug:

Link to CatChat