Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368371 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2533 on: June 26, 2009, 14:12:43 PM »
Don't forget, the antibiotics can make them a bit depressed and off their food sometimes.  :hug: I'm not sure about Pepcid I'm afraid, I've never used it.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2532 on: June 26, 2009, 11:28:08 AM »
Swampy's not feeling too well. He's a bit off his food for the first time in a very long time. I hope the antibiotics haven't made things worse. Please send positive thoughts , vibes and prayers for him that he will be ok and that the abs won't make his kidney values climb even higher.

Does anyone know if Pepcid is ok for cats with high values in CRF as my vet's not very keen on it but both boys are eating green plant so much I took it away as they then vomit which makes dehydration worse. I would like to give him 1/4 pepcid as think it may help with stomach acid or nausea. Also don't know if fluids can take away appetite, make him feel fuller? He was not good all night, then this morning was a bit better, but after vomiting during a meal and then having his sub cut fluids, he felt worse again.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2531 on: June 25, 2009, 22:41:15 PM »
Well I'm unemployed so I have the time and can get up at night and not have to face a boss in the morning! the worst thing is the lack of sleep, which doesn't help with the worry either. Purrs really helps so a big hug to you all.

Swampy is not so great today, but he's been put back on antibiotics for 10 days and I hope they help rather than make things even worse. We will have to work out a quick method of giving him his fluids. One of the nurses said she would help me on one of the days OH is away as long as I wasn't fussy about what time. Not sure the other day as she's not working, but I hope we can sort something out.
I never thought it would be too hot to take him on the roof, but I waited until 5.30 this evening, when there was hardly any sun. Don't think he was impressed, but I was keen to avoid having to give more fluids!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2530 on: June 25, 2009, 17:17:14 PM »
I could'nt do it either!  :scared:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2529 on: June 25, 2009, 14:13:43 PM »
don't be upset by the what the vet said Kate, I have to be honest I wouldn't do what you are doing - he is probably shocked that anyone is that dedicated  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2528 on: June 25, 2009, 09:26:14 AM »
Wish me luck. I have to plead with one of the nurses to come and help me with Swampy's fluids when OH is away for 2 days soon. I can't do it on my own. This morning, Swampy got the needle out while OH was holding him tight! He doesn't mind the needle, but warming the fluids made zero difference. He just went nuts when he felt the fluids. It is only 2 - 3 mins in 24 hours and he purred away within 30 seconds of it ending, but to do on my own isn't even an option.

I emailed the vet as am in shock over Swampy's raised creatinine seeing as though it was 273 on 16 April and 273 the test before that too. I feel it may be linked to his not having any antibiotic treatment since 7 April. I'm sure his cold and the bit of blood in his urine probably need some abs. The spike coincides neatly with no abs. Then again too many abs will hurt his kidneys, which at current values is a huge worry.
I'm unimpressed and disappointed with fortekor though as Swampy has proteinurea and those are supposed to be the ones that benefit most.

Swampy hasn't lost significant weight and his coat is good but what's a constant is his snorting and snuffling. I'm sure those don't help bp and high/er bp is bad for kidneys too. The vet does tend to say it's all because he's old but at 17 years and 8 months he's not that much older than 17 years and 6 months is he?! Of course it could be that. I just hope and pray he doesn't crash as hospital is unlikely to be possible.

Max has done better for 48 hours now, eating well, so now I am back to huge stress about Swampy.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2527 on: June 25, 2009, 07:10:19 AM »
I had it out with him; I told him I've been unwell for their whole lifetimes and they supported me. Now it is my turn to support them until their time has come.

:hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2526 on: June 24, 2009, 19:16:45 PM »
I think I will do that, as although they aren't refrigerated, nor are they at 37 degrees body temp. Poor Swampy's blood results are a lot worse than 6 weeks ago which is why I wanted them tested. I sensed it. The fortekor isn't holding his creatinine and urea in check. The latest numbers are creatinine 487 (last 2 times 273) and urea 28 (17 last time). It's a shock. The vet says he was a bit dehydrated yesterday which would elevate the numbers a bit, but to give him 50 - 100mls fluids, probably once a day for now will be what he will cope with as he struggles with the sub cuts, but it's only 30 seconds and the fluids are all we have left and should help him a lot. Vet said it's ok to heat them up to more like his body temp, then let them cool to below 25 again. He is only slightly anaemic, like last time so we keep on with the 1ml kaminox too. And his phosphate is ok. He only eats k/d so it should be.

Swampy's not been feeling too well from mid afternoon - maybe it was the catmint in the mouth episode but his walking's not good and he's stressed. I just hope that a nice long sleep and a good zoom groom tonight will calm him down.

The vet says he wasn't judging me, just is quite astonished as he has not had a client who would do this for their cats ie live for them 24/7 and he can see I am running on empty.  He hasn't run into some of the people on here or other cat sites clearly! I had it out with him; I told him I've been unwell for their whole lifetimes and they supported me. Now it is my turn to support them until their time has come.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2525 on: June 24, 2009, 15:43:19 PM »
I always warmed the fluids up before use, I put the bag in a bowl of warm water. I kept the bag in the fridge in between times.

Nice to hear Swampy had a little outing on the roof  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2524 on: June 24, 2009, 14:00:43 PM »
He had 50mls sub cuts this morning on the vet's advice and he didn't mind the needle but as soon as the fluid went in....wow. It took both of us and 50mls takes about 20 seconds. I can't really warm it up as it's kept at room temp in a cupboard where the fridge thermometer in there (is there a better one for accurate non fridge use?) says it is 22 or 23 degrees. The fluids have to be under 25 degs. But as the needle didn't bother him, it must have stung him maybe? Anyhow it is quickly done with the syringe. He got a bigger hump than Max, so I think he is less dehydrated.
I get his blood results back tomorrow probably. I hope the fortekor is working.

He went out on the roof for 30 mins today and was relaxing and doing fine until he started eating the catmint and got a branch of it stuck in his mouth. I was watering and didn't see him for a bit. Poor little guy foamed all over everything, even his head. I cleaned him up, brought him back in and brushed him for 15 mins and then he ate his lunch and is now looking as though a good sleep is in order.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2523 on: June 24, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »
Hope Swampy is feeling better today...Maybe just the shock of the vet visit that has upset him more?  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2522 on: June 23, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Swampy just had his home visit. The vet changed to today (I had to change my only plans to go out all week  :() otherwise he would have cancelled the pre-arranged appointment again tomorrow for the 2nd week in a row. I complained and he said he is a one man practice and people who come into the surgery take precedence. I'm pretty annoyed as we aren't abusing it and to say we've sent a bit of business his way since September would be an understatement. He said he'd always fit Swampy in, if I can take him down. I can't take him down. He knows there are no other good vets and that we trust his treatment of the boys. Anyhow today is his day off, so he chose to come today and at least we had a decent appointment. Swampy allowed a tiny bit of blood to be taken, which will be sent off tomorrow. The results should be back by thursday morning latest.

Swampy was a bit agitated after the bloods and his bp was 200 but I think it's more like 160 or 170 normally. He's a bit dehydrated so we may have to try to give him 50mls of fluids. He's going to be a lot more difficult to do it to than Max. Swampy was so sick in the night from his cold muck going down and I think that is why but I can't get him to drink today and he's not eaten as much either.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2521 on: June 22, 2009, 18:07:17 PM »
I take a photo or two of them daily so I have a photo diary. OH says all the pics are identical (which they are) but what is wrong with that?!  :P

What a fab idea Kate!  :wow:

Positive vibes for Swampy's appointments~~~~~ :Luv: :hug:

So glad they are getting back to normal with each other!  :Luv2:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2520 on: June 22, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
I've confirmed the appointment's now for wednesday.

Swampy found the kitchen in the night and scoffed the Applaws I'd left out in case Max ate anything. So far so good. But then he mixed it with a little old k/d and the carpet has yet another stain! Poor Swampy is still feeling a bit off I think as hasn't eaten his usual amount at breakfast either.
They are at last curled up together and asleep. I take a photo or two of them daily so I have a photo diary. OH says all the pics are identical (which they are) but what is wrong with that?!  :P

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2519 on: June 19, 2009, 07:36:34 AM »
Understandable that you're feeling more than a bit let down Kate.   :hug: :hug:  Sending positive thoughts for you all this morning. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2518 on: June 18, 2009, 17:51:28 PM »
What an awful, emotional time for you and your babes all round, you would of thought the vet would of given Swampy a full going over to ease your mind too!  :Crazy:

Positive vibes for you and your men x :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2517 on: June 18, 2009, 14:46:22 PM »
the vet can't come. His operating overran and then there's a RTA come in. So as he's not able to do tomorrow or saturday and he's off monday and tuesday as usual, Swampy's visit is bounced to wednesday. I could have the locum come on monday but I'd rather not. It is a bit nervy for me as who knows how Max will be by wednesday as well. I'm going to ask for a good long home visit anyhow as I had to pay for an urgent one last friday (for Swampy's eye) when he didn't have time to do anything other than do his bp and check his eye. I'm a bit disappointed.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2516 on: June 18, 2009, 09:45:06 AM »
The vet is coming today to inspect his eye and (in theory) take bloods. We need to see if the fortekor is working and how his kidneys are doing and his anaemia. There is an ear pricking thing that I am going to be shown how to use for taking just enough blood to measure anaemia without doing full bloods.
Swampy is still not too good with his vestibular problem today but is eating well and happy in himself, breaking the purring record this morning again.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2515 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »
His eye still doesn't look good so I have to book another home visit and maybe bloods too, if he allows. I'm now so scared to just leave him until I see changes in case there's something treatable that we miss. He's not having such a good day today but I hope will feel better again soon. It could be from the eye. Hope the vet can fit us in this week.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2514 on: June 15, 2009, 06:53:25 AM »
I am feeling sad though today as their passports expire tomorrow.

:care: :grouphug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2513 on: June 14, 2009, 09:27:45 AM »
I got 4 hours in the bedroom and I think Swampy was a bit calmer (OH sleeps very very well!). He's still walking about quite a bit but is purring more when picked up. I think it probably is that his eye is very sore, it looks horrible. The only problem is the steroid drops have possibly made his nose worse (he was already snorting) but he has to have them. Max isn't curling up with him much as yet but there was just a moment where they ended up in the same green bed and Swampy was a bit 'oh it's you'.

I am feeling sad though today as their passports expire tomorrow.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2512 on: June 13, 2009, 20:15:16 PM »
You do need to take care of yourself Kate and try not to stress.  I know Iam the worst person to tell  you that being as I am Mrs Anxiety 90% of the time but I promise you they pick up on it, I have seen the reaction in Charlie.  SO please please try and drink some of your funny tea, cuddle with your boys and eat some Kit Kat.   :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2511 on: June 13, 2009, 14:37:15 PM »
Kate i know its really hard for you now with both boys being ill but you really need to get some rest or your going to make yourself ill as well, and the boys both need you ,could OH possibly stay with them for a couple of hours while you try and catch some sleep or if not OH someone who could help maybe your sitter ,                               Your bound to be anxious and worried i know and altho i cant help physically im here for you as are everyone else and we all send those healing vibes not only for the boys but also for you to :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2510 on: June 13, 2009, 11:21:11 AM »
his eye looks full of blood again behind the iris, but I'm sure it wasn't so bad earlier so it does seem he is bleeding in his eye area. He has finally gone to sleep but he only sleeps a little then wakes up. We are going to fetch Max and I will ask what to do re his meds as he is due to have his steroids at lunchtime today and that's likely to hype him further. The vet is not there until tuesday after today either.
yes it is very worrying and excuse me if I sound shrill but I am so desperately worried and tired. I haven't slept since 2am the night before last so 2 hours in 2 nights with the worry isn't helping me cope. Sorry. It's a shock as he's been stable and so happy for a few months now.

PS vet says it's probably the pain from his eye stopping him sleeping and it should improve over a week with the drops. He said I may have to leave him in the lounge alone to get any sleep, which is very very hard to do.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 14:26:27 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2509 on: June 13, 2009, 10:28:48 AM »
More positive vibes for Swampy, do hope this can be sorted and hopefully with Max home he may be more relaxed, sending lots of :hug: :hug: for you to, you must be so worried with them both being ill

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2508 on: June 13, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
Positive vibes all round Kate~~~~~hoping the vet can get Swampy sorted and with a bit of luck Max's being home may work its magic again!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2507 on: June 13, 2009, 07:06:44 AM »
Swampy is very ill. He has been awake all night and unable to rest for longer than an hour. He is finding everything but is stressed. Something has happened in his brain. His eye looks a bit better but there's something very wrong and it's terrifying. I've been up with him all night. AT first he purred when I picked him up but this morning, not. It started again at about 1am. We are going to fetch Max today but I have to speak to the vet who thought Swampy was looking well yesterday. I don't believe his bp is normal, it's something neuro that has gone wrong.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2506 on: June 12, 2009, 21:04:55 PM »
Sending calming vibes to help with Swampy's eye treatment~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2505 on: June 12, 2009, 19:52:19 PM »
Well you will certainly have your work cut out but let's hope he is a good boy and you can get the drops and ointment in and his eyes are soon better  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2504 on: June 12, 2009, 13:53:16 PM »
He has 2 new drops 3x a day to somehow get in his eye. His bp was normal. He's been so agitated all morning so I think it was lower yesterday. As for his eye, the vet thinks it is his lens that has detached from old age and previous hypertension and it has got a blood clot. It will hopefully disappear gradually and not lead to glaucoma, which would be painful for him. He didn't even try to take bloods so will have to have them done quite soon on another visit. The vet thought Swampy was looking ok. Now "all" I have to work out how to do is to put the ointment into his eye (there's 1 drop and 1/2 hour later some ointment). He hates eye ointment and a lifetime of herpes problems treated with fucithalmic means he knows just how to avoid getting it in his eye.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2503 on: June 12, 2009, 08:28:42 AM »
Try to stay calm Kate , i always say go by your gut reaction, you know Swampy better then anyone and im sure if you feel its the drops then you have done the right thing, talk to the vet when he comes and tell him your fears. fingers crossed it goes well for you both :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2502 on: June 12, 2009, 08:25:09 AM »
flipping eye drops are dexamethasone which I think is steroid and the same stuff that Swampy had in injectable form months ago and he went nuts and hyper for 3 days. We had a rough night with him crying and wanting to eat a lot and not wanting to be cuddled = higher bp  >:(

I haven't given the drop this am and have emailed the vet to say I think it's increased the bp and can we please decide later what to do. I hope missing 1 dose doesn't matter, but surely if it's bp related, it's not good to just give something which may be hyping him up. He was more like Swampy in the bad old days before Selgian/istin and it wasn't nice.

I'm just stressing so much about it all.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2501 on: June 12, 2009, 08:24:34 AM »
Hope everything goes well with the vet today and thats his meds can be adjusted to help him, sending lots of positive vibes for Swamps and hugs for you too :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2500 on: June 12, 2009, 07:08:12 AM »
Kate, am thinking about you, and hoping all goes well.  Sending Swampy a speshul snuzzle and a whiskery PPpprrffffppptt from Paddy (he says it's an extra gentle Pppprrrrrfffppppttt)  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2499 on: June 12, 2009, 06:11:16 AM »
Good Luck with the vet visit today, hope its nothing to worry about!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2498 on: June 11, 2009, 23:21:42 PM »
How worrying. High BP does spring to mind, maybe the dosages might need tweaking? Hopefully the vet will be able to put your mind at rest tomorrow.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2497 on: June 11, 2009, 19:25:44 PM »
just as I think all's going well....Swampy's right eye is full of blood (inside). I had to email photos to the vet and he is coming around tomorrow to have a look and check Swampy's bp. He is on Istin and fortekor so it shouldn't be high but not sure what else could cause this. I am so worried.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2496 on: June 11, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »
What a star that Swampy is rises to the challenge.  Well done Swampy boy  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2495 on: June 11, 2009, 06:58:10 AM »
So glad Kate.  Swampy's a  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2494 on: June 11, 2009, 04:40:25 AM »
Aw brilliant, glad he was fine while you were visiting Max...Im sure you were relieved when you got home! Good Lad Swampy!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat