Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368372 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2573 on: July 20, 2009, 12:33:02 PM »
Thinking of you and the boys and sending you some sun for your balcony!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2572 on: July 19, 2009, 22:20:23 PM »
When Swampy has vestibular symptoms, normally putting him on antibiotics helps. Today I had to put him back on antibios as his cold was becoming a problem (infection not good with his kidneys) although his vestibular issues weren't a problem. So now his cold's a bit better already but he isn't walking as well, but turning left and needing help so they clearly work in some weird way on his vestibular probs.  It may be a long night as he can't find the food. He is happier though with his snorting less and is eating a little better. It's all such a tricky, tiring juggling act.  I suppose I must ask the vet what the minimum no of days is for the course of abs to help. It's the first time he's had abs when his vestibular symptoms are not a problem; I didn't want to leave his cold untreated as for some reason during the 2 1/2 months without any abs, his kidney values almost doubled (I'd not put him on them as he was walking just fine most days in those 2 1/2 months).

Thanks again to everyone for your continued support for both Swampy and Max (and their mum)  :hug: xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2571 on: July 17, 2009, 13:34:48 PM »
Well my dad informed me that the next heat wave does not start till the 15th Aug!  :tired:

Wishing that when the sun splits the cloud it shines on you and yours!  :wish:  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2570 on: July 17, 2009, 09:14:40 AM »
I woke up at 4am to find he'd been up and eaten and found the tray, but he's making those loud globby noises when he swallows, so I think he may need to go back on his antibiotics unfortunately. It's so difficult as they aren't good for bad kidneys but nor is fighting an underlying infection. He's been sooooo purry overnight and this morning though and gave his dad's ear a big lovebite.

We've also found that holding him for the eye ointment with me putting it in from above his head seems to work better (if that helps anyone else fighting to get eye ointments in!). He opened his eye briefly and it didn't look quite as bad this morning. Apparently it's good that he keeps it shut as then his paw won't hurt it further.  He also seems to have a slightly tattier coat but it's thicker, like a winter coat. I wonder if he knows there's no more hot weather?!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2569 on: July 16, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »
Oh you must be exhausted Kate, not just the physical but the mental also!  :Luv: :hug:

Sending positive vibes to help his tum out and more vibes for a lovely sunny day for you all~~~~~~"Chin up"  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2568 on: July 16, 2009, 09:11:58 AM »
Only 2 hours sleep for the second night in a row too and then this morning Swampy ate so well .....and vomited it all up....then did a poo in 3 separate "instalments" in both his trays! Plus I have to drive friends to the stupid shopping centre. Oi. Sun is out so I hope to get him on the roof for 20 mins, then refeed him and he keeps it down. I think the vomit is from his cold. Vet wants him back on antibios quite soon. :(

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2567 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:25 AM »
His fluids are being absorbed faster these days so I hope 100mls a day is enough for him. He doesn't drink that much though (but not exactly hot weather now is it?). I went out yesterday for a rare treat and someone sat with them while I was gone. She sat on the sofa, preventing Max from sitting there (or he thought so) so he went and got into bed again with Swampy and they mutual groomed and went to sleep. So they've not had a fight, Max just prefers the sofa. It's such a pity as Sarah (catsitter) also said how happy Swampy was when Max arrived with him. We managed 25 mins between showers on the roof yesterday with Swampy who loved that. But just lately he is eating less. Rollercoaster worries again.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2566 on: July 13, 2009, 13:05:14 PM »
Sounds like a good sign to me! More positive vibes being sent to get the eye healed properly~~~~~ :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2565 on: July 12, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »
Swampy opened his eye for a bit this morning. I hope that is a good sign. This week we have to concentrate on really getting the right amount of ointment in despite him trying to stop us. He has had eye ointments since he was tiny (herpes) so has got used to avoiding them. I so so hope he can knock out this ulcer. His eye still looked red though but that  apparently may never fade.
I think he misses Max curling up with him but there is nothing I can do about it. Just try to keep him happy when he is awake and make sure he has lots of purrs.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2564 on: July 10, 2009, 17:34:37 PM »
The vet came here again today to see Swampy's eye. Sadly his ulcer's still there which isn't surprising given his age and health problems, but it's a worry. Normally it takes about 6 weeks of constant ointment to heal and if not, a cat would have an op. That's not really an option. Otherwise his bp is up (probably linked to the ulcer) still at 200, so his Istin's been upped to a 1/4 tablet.
Little one was quite calm and co-operative today and had a good time on the roof in the sun, before it rains all weekend. I've got to watch out now that he doesn't get lethargic and his bp go too low. Poor little guy even had his nails cut too. 

Btw we discussed diet and the vet's view is that the renal foods are the best and that although cats are carnivores, a diet too high in pure meat would mean a cat died younger as it's too much protein for old kidneys. That's because I moaned about the cereals they put in the k/d.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2563 on: July 08, 2009, 13:23:31 PM »
he's been sweet and sleepy since yesterday, so when my neighbour helped with the fluids this morning, he was just fine. She's used to cats and held him still & nuzzled his head which he likes. I rang the vet's and they want him to stay on this ointment but say I can use the other one as well as that may soothe the eye. Only trouble is, he's not the easiest to get eye ointment into! I only get a tiny slither when I'm on my own.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2562 on: July 08, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »
Id maybe ask the vet about the eye med change....sounds as if the new meds are making his eye go back over (from open to closed).

Lots of vibes to you all~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2561 on: July 07, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »
 :thanks:  have turned on his heatpad (amazing after last week!). Last evening I took him to the bedroom and held him on the horrible chest that he used to sleep on all the time (and where he fell off for his accident). To my surprise he settled straight away. I can't leave him there though as it's too dangerous so I sat with him for about 1/2 hour then brought him back. He did enjoy that and he relaxed. I'm thinking of bringing that bedding (not v washable though, unlike his current vet bed) to his bed here in case that helps. Max just wants the sofa or else to sleep curled up with me. I took Swampy on to the futon to Max, but he didn't react and turned away.

His eye was open on the fuci, but is now shut tight again on the chloromycetin. They are supposed to be better for his ulcer than the fuci. He's not rubbing the eye but I do wonder if it's adding to his agitation that maybe this ointment is not as well tolerated. I wish he could talk!  (other than yelling for food at 2am....end of my sleep for the night).

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2560 on: July 07, 2009, 07:36:39 AM »
Would a very soft teddie rubbed on Max to get the smell and a little hotwater bottle  to make it warm and a little clock (mimic the heartbeats ) help him to settle, i know it sound silly but desperate means calls for desperate measures and could be worth a try, apart from that Kate i dont have any other ideas, hope you can find the solution :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2559 on: July 06, 2009, 18:24:30 PM »
Swampy seems a little upset because since the very hot weather (this flat gets like a furnace) Max has decamped to sleep all day and night on the sofa. He just won't share the bed with Swampy any more. Those of you who've seen the photos on the thread know that they've curled up together every day for 15+ years. Normally they get on so well and mutual groom all the time.  I don't think it's because he's feeling ill as when he was feeling awful before going into hospital, he hid under the bed. It seems more like choice (right now he's blissfully asleep on the sofa- it's a very soft one). Poor little Swampy so enjoys and relaxes when he has his head on Max's tum but there's nothing I can do. I tried to encourage Max to go into the bed but he walked straight out.  I took Swampy to the sofa but he wasn't happy out of his bed. If I put stuff on the sofa, Max goes upstairs to his other spot, which is an old cat-radiator-bed cover tatty thing on the floor. I don't know if they've had a kitty argument or what is going on.
Swampy doesn't sleep for as long as a result so I have to get up and go to him a lot more. He eats more too, which is a stress response. Between the 2 of them wanting to eat last night, i got about 1 hour's sleep  :Crazy: His bp at the vet visit was up to 200 so his Istin's been slightly increased (very "scientific": I cut the tab into 1/4s then shave "a bit less off" than before). I get so upset for him as it's not as if Max isn't here or anything. He's in the same room but Swampy has no idea where he is.

He's just woken again. Only been asleep about 45 mins. Does anyone have any ideas as I can't imagine how to get a cat to do anything it doesn't want to do.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2558 on: July 06, 2009, 08:44:04 AM »
Morning Kate hope things are a bit more positive for you and the boys this morning, still sending those positive vibes for them both and lots of hugs for you :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2557 on: July 03, 2009, 21:32:39 PM »
Glad the visit went well  :hug: to Swampy
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2556 on: July 03, 2009, 21:02:48 PM »
peeing every 2 hours but today the vet visited and spent 45 mins checking him over. Swampy has an eye ulcer but in the *better* part of the eye to get one, so is on an antibiotic ointment. His bp meds have been slightly increased as his bp was 200 and he wasn't too stressed as had been asleep. He also got some laurabolin which made him hungrier and quite walky and purry and cheerful so maybe it worked straight away on his slight anemia.
I hope it's just the extra fluids making him pee so often and his bloods aren't worse as he's only having them redone in a month or so, unless something really changes. At least we had a good visit and a chat with the vet.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2555 on: July 02, 2009, 22:28:23 PM »
Hopefully the peeing more will be in conjunction with the eating more....Hope you can get someone to help out while OH is away!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2554 on: July 02, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
Bazsmum you're as bad as me, up at 4am  :Crazy: !  thanks xxx

He is eating a lot today so the heat hasn't put him off food today at least (or 3x in the night....) but he has peed too much overnight. He purred all through his fluids this morning too. OH is going away he tells me at 6am on tues until late thurs night so looks as though I may need help with the sub cuts for 3 days. We had 25 mins lying on his towel on the roof but then it got too hot for him.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2553 on: July 02, 2009, 04:11:32 AM »
Glad his eye seems to be getting better!  :)

Happy he is having a great time on his fave spot on the roof too!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2552 on: July 01, 2009, 19:02:45 PM »
yes, well I went around there, having done a dye test last night ourselves on Swampy and taken a terrible photo (deemed hopeless of course) to look at photos in a book of what it looked like under the UV light. Answer not really any of them. He is booked in for a visit on Friday (unless.....). In the meantime I took him off the chloro ab ointment as it was causing pain and put him back on fucithalmic. His eye opened a little this afternoon and there's less pus so that's good.
He also had a 20 minute roof session which he seemed to enjoy, had a nice lie down in his lion pose and even managed a pee on the roof (not something to tell the neighbours). However I think soon I may have to give him a bit more fluids as he may be a little dehydrated. Then again it may be because he is drinking/moving less in the heat. They say you can only give 100mls in one go on a regular basis, which will mean 2 gos.  It only takes a minute and helps so much that it is worth it though. If anyone out there is thinking about it for their cat, do it, it's not hard and it only takes a couple of minutes in a 24 hour day.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2551 on: July 01, 2009, 07:19:57 AM »
Kate, amd sending bagsfull of positive thoughts for you and Swampy and Max this morning.  I'm not surprised you were upset.  That's the trouble when your vet is a One Man Band.  Ours is the same, and I know he works extremely hard, but there are times when I feelhe just has too much to handle on his own.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2550 on: July 01, 2009, 02:43:51 AM »
Positive vibes for Swampy's eye~~~~~~~ :grouphug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2549 on: July 01, 2009, 02:23:34 AM »
Lots of vibes here for poor Swampy - hope he gets seen tomorrow and he gets something to help him.
I really think that vet is out of order -its his job to comeout if you can't get there - he may be a one man practise , but he is getting well paid for it all !
Sorry you are having such a bad time with both Swampy and Max being so ill - lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:  for you all too .
Take care of each other .

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2548 on: June 30, 2009, 22:54:02 PM »
It seems his chronic herpes and the steroid drops given for his blood in the eye have caused an ulcer. OH and I had to use a dye strip tonight and the vet's UV light to see if there were green patches. There is one. His third eyelid is up a lot and his eyelids are swollen and he is keeping that eye shut.  I'm bathing it with saline often. I have been told to use an antibiotic ointment called chloramphenicol, but it hurts him and if he has an ulcer (probable apparently), he has to have eye ointment every few hours. I hope fucithalmic would do (maybe too gentle?) as he tolerates that too. He is quite calm about the eye, just keeps it shut, doesn't rub it, although it looks so sore. But as soon as I put that ointment in, he rubs madly.

I had a go at the vet for not doing the home visit I wanted for Swampy. He is always too busy as is a one man practice, he doesn't get lunch etc. But he gives priority to patients who come in rather than home visits, although the latter would only take 20 mins door to door return as we are close. Swampy can't be risked in a car journey or I would do that. Anyhow I said my piece as didn't feel that I am competent to do eye tests at home with UV lights and know what I am looking at. Vet said to photograph the eye and email it. Well my old camera isn't up to that as Swampy moves and UV light is dim so the shutter closed too slowly and we got a blurred image.
I've calmed down now but poor little boy, he needs to be SEEN. He needs an antibiotic ointment that helps his eye and painkiller drops too.  Please send vibes that this gets sorted out tomorrow. Apparently when properly and correctly treated, these flare ups can settle in as little as a week.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2547 on: June 30, 2009, 09:37:42 AM »
I'm really tired so excuse this if it is a stupid question, I've closed the window in the lounge (we only have 1 and it is south facing) and the curtains and turned on the fans. One is facing Swampy. Do you think the breeze could make his eye worse? We got the fucithalmic in and I've bathed it 3x overnight but it still looks horrible.  Then again,  he purred all through his sub cuts this morning  :Crazy: his dad was biting his head, which he always finds funny and purrs.

um, should I close the window in the morning? It was wide open all night and early this am to let the cooler air in.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2546 on: June 30, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »
Poor Swampy hes not having much luck just lately is he,hope his eye is a bit better this morning and sending lots of healthy healing vibes for him :hug: :hug:

Seconded!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2545 on: June 30, 2009, 08:31:24 AM »
Poor Swampy hes not having much luck just lately is he,hope his eye is a bit better this morning and sending lots of healthy healing vibes for him :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2544 on: June 29, 2009, 23:44:01 PM »
Ahh, poor Swampy - how about some cold tea or cool boiled water ?
Lots of healing vibes being sent for the handsome boy  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2543 on: June 29, 2009, 23:42:04 PM »
Swampy has a bad eye infection, the same eye I've been putting the steroid drops in. His eye is pretty gummed shut and even when I force it open to put in his fucithalmic, you can hardly see the pupil, just eyelid.
Of course the vet won't come but I've been told to bathe it in saline water often so that's what I'm doing. I hope he will be better tomorrow. However I tend to think it's his herpes that has flared from the heat.
It is so hot in this flat. We have 2 fans going and I wipe him with a damp, cool cloth sometimes but there's not much else I can do. Tomorrow I think I will close the windows and curtains between 11 and 3 to see if it helps.
Please send vibes for the poor little old man's eye to heal. He's not rubbing it, but it looks horrible.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2542 on: June 29, 2009, 09:42:09 AM »
He'll have some early morning on 7th and then sometime on 9th when one of the nurses will come. Because he's not too co-operative (for that read struggles like anything) we are trying to give once daily, about 95mls- 100mls in this weather. If it doesn't work, he will just be a bit dehydrated for one day. Not ideal. I am going to ask my neighbour (who is moving end July but should be here then) to plunge the syringe if I hold Swampy still. This morning he was not keen at all, whereas yesterday he was not too bad. Just afterwards though he was fine and purring again so the fright is just temporary.

The trouble with doing it twice on 7th possibly is that cats must have absorbed the first dose before you give a second.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2541 on: June 29, 2009, 07:59:44 AM »
Kate just wondering would it be possible to give his fluids on the 7th instead of the 8th, if thats possible it would solve your problem :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2540 on: June 28, 2009, 14:54:39 PM »
so sweet. He is lying on the towel on the roof, licking a yoghurt pot, wearing his harness (it makes him feel safe) and purring.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2539 on: June 28, 2009, 14:21:06 PM »
Hope you can find someone to help -you have a bit of time left , so good luck .
Lots of furry headbuts and  :hug: :hug: :hug:  to the Swampy man

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2538 on: June 28, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »
He carried a lump in his leg all day so I'll only give him an underdose today as right now his skin feels hydrated and he has had a drink though (didn't drink yesterday). It doesn't seem to make him feel better, like Max.
His walking's not so good but he's eaten well today. Thanks for the support. If I give more than 100mls again, will have to sort out 2 doses.

I am still stressing about who is going to help me on 8th July with his fluids. The cat sitter is away and the vet nurse who agreed to help isn't at work that day. The other nurse was more negative.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2537 on: June 28, 2009, 07:12:43 AM »
Kate  :hug:  try not to worry.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2536 on: June 28, 2009, 03:36:59 AM »
Im sure he will be fine Kate, gosh I really feel for you right now....this must be such a strain on you!  :care: :grouphug:

Positive vibes for the boys~~~~~~~ :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2535 on: June 27, 2009, 11:15:05 AM »
Yes he picked up a bit last night when it got cooler. Today I did a stupid thing because I'm tired. I always put all the cats' syringes with the sub cuts in a container and then we can dispense the fluids as fast as possible to them both, so it is 2 x 50ml and 4 x 20 -  25ml filled syringes all together. This morning I got in a muddle and Swampy got 25mls more than he should have, as he got one of Max's by mistake. I hope it is ok. I am worried. He is fully hydrated and he still has a hump to absorb. I'm so scared that I hurt him. I'm such an idiot.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2534 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:36 AM »
Hope it is just the meds...Positive vibes for darling Swampy~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug:

Link to CatChat