Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368276 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2693 on: September 07, 2009, 18:35:07 PM »
Actually I think he is missing Max. As time goes on and the weather's cooler, I think he's noticing that he is by himself all the time now in his bed. I've put a red blanket that has Max's hair on it behind his bed but not sure if that helps or hinders.
He will just get all the love he wants and needs right now.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2692 on: September 07, 2009, 17:35:28 PM »
I think he is trying to tell you something  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2691 on: September 07, 2009, 17:24:00 PM »
He ate a little plate of RC renal blended chicken food but I don't know how much he really got in calories and nutrients as it's quite watered down of course.  Little one is so old and slow at the moment. I don't know if it's part of an infection or if this is how he is going to be now. He's so sweet and loving but so very old, it just breaks my heart.
He's taken to coming to the futon to sit there; perhaps he knows there's company there. I must go and give him just that.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2690 on: September 07, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »
Sending tons of eating vibes for darling Swampy~~~~~C'mon little man you needs your food!  :wish: :grouphug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2689 on: September 07, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »
He's a bit more active because I downed his bp meds a little bit, but he still won't eat more than a square inch or two of food which is a big worry. I don't know if it's his mouth or teeth, his cold (his nose is runny) or his tum. I just wish he'd eat. I'm trying all sort of pate, soft foods but so far he eats just a little then the paw comes out and he turns away.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2688 on: September 06, 2009, 20:34:30 PM »
Tons of eating vibes coming for Swampy and hope he gets somemore sunshine too  :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2687 on: September 06, 2009, 20:18:42 PM »
yes please send eating vibes as he just won't eat more than a nibble. He's doing an awful lot of sleeping too.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2686 on: September 06, 2009, 17:16:13 PM »
Aw bless him, Im glad that he is enjoying some time on the futon and on the balcony.... Hope the meds start kicking in soon so that he can get some food inside.... Thinking of you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2685 on: September 06, 2009, 16:03:00 PM »
We did get a decent offering left in the tray on Friday night and he then ate better - only to vomit from his post nasal drip yesterday afternoon and since then I can't get him to eat very much at all. So we are back to square one. I was hoping the laurabolin given on Friday night would help and the 2 antibiotics, but not yet.

He did something unusual this morning -he came and sat with me on the futon and I picked him up and for a couple of hours he went to sleep in my arms.   Quite wonderful but not something he would normally do.  Then today though the sun did come out so as it's not too hot, he had a full 2 hours on the roof so enjoyed that.

He is definitely weaker though and more tired. I have to remind him to get up sometimes.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2684 on: September 04, 2009, 22:32:27 PM »
You cant blame yourself Kate!  :hug:

Hope the steroid helps him out and sending him strong pooping vibes~~~~~Thinking of you all!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2683 on: September 04, 2009, 09:17:46 AM »
still no poo, still not wanting to do more than a nibble. He's behaving very sweetly but quite senior, with bed digging and so on. I've asked the vet to call as he also needs his laurabolin which I hope will help too.
shouldn't have said anything should I, but wed was such a good day.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2682 on: September 04, 2009, 01:31:51 AM »
Aw what a total sweetie he is!  :Luv2:

Probably is just a case of waiting for the stuff to get through his system, he prob feels abit full!

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2681 on: September 04, 2009, 00:00:50 AM »
Hope he has a good day tomorrow  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2680 on: September 03, 2009, 23:49:20 PM »
I thought quite a few times before posting as yesterday and this morning he was doing so well. Tonight he won't eat though but is cheerful. I hope it's just because he's had lactulose with no 'result' as yet.
Yes, it is also mostly down to Swampy and his strong will to live and to interact and love with his mum and dad and Max. And also when we nearly ended it in January, the vet in Edinburgh who put him on the experimental drug regime which has worked so far, so well. I'm going to write to her to thank her so much.
It's not hard at all nursing Swampy but a bit tiring getting up every night at my age! But he is a lovely patient.  :hug: xxxx :hug: to everyone.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2679 on: September 03, 2009, 20:04:07 PM »
It took me a while to find this topic and go through it to find out what had happened to Swampy but i have since followed his progress, all the ups and downs  and its all down to you Kate, so much love and dedication against all the odds :wow: long may you and he continue with this very very special relationship :Luv2: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2678 on: September 03, 2009, 17:16:57 PM »
Wow and what a year its been for you both, and Swampy defying all odds too.

Loads of vibes and  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both

Seconded! Much love and kitty kisses coming his way!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2677 on: September 03, 2009, 14:15:03 PM »
Wow and what a year its been for you both, and Swampy defying all odds too.

Loads of vibes and  :hug: :hug: :hug: for you both

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2676 on: September 03, 2009, 13:32:24 PM »
poor Swampy, I can't believe it has been a year already - don't know how you have managed for so long  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2675 on: September 03, 2009, 13:30:17 PM »
Swampy had a good day yesterday and helped me no end as I wasn't too well.  He even left his own warm bed to come and sit with me on the futon for over 2 hours.  I am trying to keep calm and not get superstitious about anything, but tomorrow will be 1 year since his awful accident.
I am overwhelmed by the wonderful support Swampy and I have had on Purrs for so long and also I am so happy to report that all the nursing at uncivilised hours of the night and internet research and vet nagging etc have been so well worth it.
He is old, he is ill, he has umpteen health problems and medications, but he is still my Swampa and a fluffy, purry cuddle monster.
He sends big dark ch-o-c-y purrs to everyone and everyone's furbabes.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2674 on: September 02, 2009, 07:04:50 AM »
Dropping by with a gentle hug to start the day for you and Swampy  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2673 on: September 01, 2009, 20:31:13 PM »
Im glad a good time has been had by all, just hope the abs will affect him differently this time round!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2672 on: September 01, 2009, 18:17:28 PM »
Swampy's had a lovely time on the roof in the sun and I found (OH did a clear out!) an old lounger cushion so he's comfier than ever.  However he's been a bit senior lately, but at least quite cheerful and purry.
I have to put him back on antibiotics though which is a worry as he is doing all right but the vet thinks it's best.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2671 on: August 31, 2009, 19:18:24 PM »
Thinking of you both and hoping that you have all had a good Bank Hol!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2670 on: August 30, 2009, 09:32:30 AM »
Yep, I think Autumn is here too Kate.  My sister has one of those heaters, and the dog and her two cats take up residence so close to it it's a wonder you can't smell singeing fur!  :evillaugh:

Sending hugs for you and Swampy.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2669 on: August 29, 2009, 21:20:08 PM »
 :care: :ahh: :grouphug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2668 on: August 29, 2009, 21:12:03 PM »
thanks very much.  Last winter Mark helped me look into the reptile type heaters, then the vet decided that the heat or light was too intense at the time. They also have to be put up very close to the reptile (or cat). I'm assuming that a cat can be up to about 1 1/2 metres away and still feel the warmth?

Swampy got up a while ago and we tried everything that he could want - nothing - he was just feeling the need for love and reassurance.  I have been missing Max so much tonight too, maybe he was missing his little friend.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2667 on: August 29, 2009, 11:21:45 AM »
Someone on another forum I use (an emigrate one) was asking about lamps like they use for reptiles and snakes as a possibility for simulating the sun and warmth a bit. Maybe that's also an option.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2666 on: August 29, 2009, 10:50:59 AM »
Do you use Freecycle Kate? I know I have given one of those heaters away in the past so you never know your luck! Just a thought as the shops must be still hoping for a summer!  :tired: ;) :hug: :hug:

Big head rubs for darling Swampy!  :ahh:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2665 on: August 29, 2009, 10:29:48 AM »
 :thanks:
if the temp on my bike this morning is anything to go by, if I wait a couple of weeks the shops will be full of them! Autumn is here  >:(  I saw the sun and thought I'd take my lovely old fluffyman out the window, only to realise I'll have to wait an hour or 2 or he won't enjoy it.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2663 on: August 28, 2009, 14:55:12 PM »
We went in the car in the end as they changed the appointment time a couple of times. He didn't enjoy it and got really hyper coming back so all the progress overnight for him to be calmer and walk fine has had a set back.  Anyhow he has to go on to abx again as soon as he's feeling a bit better, hopefully in 2 - 3 days time as both his teeth and his cold are not good.  The vet thinks his large intestine is probably inflamed from his urea etc so he's got to have lactulose 2 or 3 x daily in a small dose. And zantac at night. He got a good exam anyhow; vet says he's holding up well despite all his old cat problems.  He's been very 'senior' and miaowy today too, was very grumpy because I changed his bedding for a less sordid one.

hope tomorrow's better for him. Some sunshine and less wind would be just the ticket for a nice long relaxing roof snooze. I'm not taking him out today as it's really windy and changeable and I think he's had enough excitement.

Btw vet okayed the halogen heater but I can't find anyone with any stock except that seller on ebay who I'm a bit wary of as his ad is riddled with howling spelling mistakes (call me fussy but puts me off).

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2662 on: August 28, 2009, 13:31:55 PM »
Lots of vibes coming your way  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2661 on: August 28, 2009, 13:12:53 PM »
Sending positive healing vibes for darling Swampy's vet visit~~~~hope all turns out okay!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2660 on: August 28, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
I'm taking Swampy down to the vet again to be checked over. He's walking better today off the abx so I hope that it doesn't backfire on me. We are going by minicab so that I can stroke him on the way down.
Please wish us luck, with the trip and its effects and for the outcome.  :thanks:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2659 on: August 27, 2009, 22:25:51 PM »
I sent the vet your photo to give him an idea about them! And ask if they are safe for Swampy, with his brain issues. The light is extremely bright.  thanks for all the info  :hug:

Swampy is still not right with his tum today. The vet says to monitor his poos as it's possible that his nitrogen wastes may be causing some blood in his poo. I was hoping it was just the iron he takes that made them dark today (they weren't yesterday) but the way he lay for quite a bit of today suggests his tum may be a bit sore or uncomfy.  He has eaten though and his tummy doesn't feel too hard.
I'm desperate for no problems over the long weekend.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2658 on: August 27, 2009, 22:15:35 PM »
Gillian, that heater (they are unsurprisingly out of stock most places until september) is it 1200W? What sort of heat distance does it reach - I would want to put Swampy more than 1 metre away and still have him bathe in the warmth (the theory: he'll probably know straight away it's not the sun). Thanks

Yes its 1200w, this is the exact model I've got, looks like its unavailable though, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Igenix-1200W-Halogen-Heater-Remote/dp/B0000ERUQO . I would say even 1 mtre away Swamps would get full benefit, especially if it was on full (there's 3 settings).

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2657 on: August 27, 2009, 17:53:12 PM »
thanks  :hug: :hug: he did a dark poo so am stressing about that too, as for 2 hours afterwards he lay in that horrible uncomfy on his tum position with his head straight down. Now he seems more comfy. I rang the vet who said to keep an eye on him and if it happens again to call. I'm going to give him zantac when he wakes up too, if I can cut it small enough.

Gillian, that heater (they are unsurprisingly out of stock most places until september) is it 1200W? What sort of heat distance does it reach - I would want to put Swampy more than 1 metre away and still have him bathe in the warmth (the theory: he'll probably know straight away it's not the sun). Thanks

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2656 on: August 27, 2009, 15:04:58 PM »
Hope stopping the abs helps Swampy perk up! Sending healing positive vibes his and your way~~~~~ :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2655 on: August 27, 2009, 14:21:09 PM »
Swampy's not feeling so good today, he's coming off the abx to see if that helps.

:hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2654 on: August 27, 2009, 14:16:07 PM »
that's hilarious, Gillian thanks for cheering me up. Swampy's not feeling so good today, he's coming off the abx to see if that helps.

Link to CatChat