Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368271 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2733 on: September 12, 2009, 22:03:17 PM »
What a gorgeous photp of your lovely lil man  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2732 on: September 12, 2009, 21:50:37 PM »
Aw bless him Kate, he truly is a lovely natured gentleman...... Please let there be sun for you all!  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2731 on: September 12, 2009, 21:46:25 PM »
OH and I just syringe fed him just over 1/6th can of a/d - about 5 or 6 x 5ml syringes (make it as thick as possible) which is a miserable 30 calories or something, but at least a top up. Within 2 mins of finishing, he was purring and lying happily being zoom groomed by OH.  He is just a magical little old man.

tomorrow looks like I will have to show him how grey and miz it is outside (if they are right), then take him for a walk to the bedroom and plonk him down somewhere on his soft cushion with the halogen heater and hope that he relaxes.  The most wonderful thing about the roof and why I'm so worried now that autumn is here, is how he relaxes. He has these amazing dreams where his whole body jumps and he changes position and there's no way I can wake him for ages - if I need to, have to do it gently over several minutes as he is so fast asleep and contented.

Btw showed a similar photo to the vet who thought it was funny. He said it's "retired burmese on holiday on the riviera"  ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 21:49:23 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2730 on: September 12, 2009, 21:36:38 PM »
Thats a lovely pic of handsome Swampy lapping some sun up, hope the weather at your end stays nice for a while longer!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2729 on: September 12, 2009, 18:55:04 PM »
What a fabulous photo of such a Handsome Brave boy :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #2728 on: September 12, 2009, 18:26:37 PM »
What a beautiful boy xxx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2727 on: September 12, 2009, 18:06:28 PM »
Kate, that's a brilliant photo.   :hug:  What a handsome lil' man.   :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2726 on: September 12, 2009, 17:42:48 PM »
hi, the vet thinks in 90 mins some or most of a meal should be absorbed. Swampy didn't eat much by himself today - about 1/2 of a small 85g can of old i/d. So will have to help him with a syringe feed later. I hope he will eat more by himself tomorrow as it is a steroid day. Yesterday morning early we syringe fed him and he ate by himself the rest of the day and felt better.

However today was lovely here and all in all he had a bit more than 4 hours in the sun, which he found very relaxing. I took some photos and here's one that I love. I'm worried though as the weather is changing and looks lousy for the next few days.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2725 on: September 11, 2009, 14:03:31 PM »
What a little love he is!  :Luv2:

Glad you are managing to get some food inside him, argh! but to then have to think about amount of fluid vs sub cut vs vommiting....Mare!  :Crazy:

Glad he has had a good poop too!  :wow:

I dont know why 2 hrs is popping into my head for digestion? Dont take my word for it though!  ;)

Thinking of you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2724 on: September 11, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »
He is being unbelievably sweet.  He is now eating a little on his own but not enough, so we have to assist feed him a bit.  Neither of us enjoys it (or all 3 as it takes 2 of us) but it does make him feel better.
Only thing is too much water in the a/d makes him vomit because of his nasal drip muck he has swallowed, so I put less in the a/d this morning. I'm so thankful I squirrelled away (OH said I am mad at the time) some of the old formula i/d as that is what he will eat on his own and perhaps a little hi life chicken pate.

He has pooed better today so something must have gone in! The sun's out so I hope the roof will be warm and sunny for him for at least 2 hours.  I gave only 60mls sub cuts today as he is still the same weight despite his poor eating so thought it may be fluid retention.

Does anyone know how long food has to be in the tum before at least most of it is absorbed? My heart is in my mouth every time he drinks.  Plus I have to give him 1/20th of a bisolvon packet sometime today - that's going to be fun to divvy up - which I'm sure may make him sick as it dissolves mucus.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #2723 on: September 11, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: come on swampster

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2722 on: September 10, 2009, 20:37:05 PM »
Hope the change in meds will help him out!  :crossed: :grouphug: :ahh:

Offline Sanchi

• Adult Cat
  • Mah boys, I luffs them!!
« Reply #2721 on: September 10, 2009, 18:37:37 PM »
Just read all 55 pages with my heart in my mouth!!

Sending lots of positive vibes to your little one and some healing reiki vibes too... :cat rub:

My boys are sending purrs for you also.  :hug: :hug: :Luv:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 22:28:54 PM by Sanchi »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2720 on: September 10, 2009, 17:52:15 PM »
He wouldn't lie on his side, so no X ray. He's gained weight despite not eating, so I'm nervous about fluid retention (steroids cause it but he's getting sub cuts too). The vet has switched him to Baytril antibiotic as it's meant to be better for respiratory problems. He also has bisolvon which I've got to work out how to give him for a few days.   For pain relief, the vet will have to find out from Prof Gunn Moore about what is ok with selgian but steroids are increased now in case it makes a difference.
Swampy ate when he got home but only a very little. I don't like the idea of assist feeding him a/d but think I will have to or he will go downhill even faster.

The vet said he can see our problem: the bloods are the same as July, the vestibular disease (thought uncontrollable) has been largely under control for months - let's see if  Baytril makes that worse - his weight is stable, coat is good,  mood old but essentially the same. Just he won't eat.
He wondered if it could be dementia related as he checked his teeth and said there's a lot of tartar but no obvious rotten tooth that is causing bad pain. I told him Swampy starts eating, then stops suddenly and hides his head.  I'm a nervous wreck from trying to get it all right and do the right thing.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2719 on: September 10, 2009, 15:49:19 PM »
Hope everything went okay with the visit Kate.... So glad he got his time out on the balcony.....  :Luv: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2718 on: September 10, 2009, 14:43:10 PM »
Took Swampy out for over 2 hours and he had a nice sleep in the sunshine.  But when we came in, I tried to get him to eat. He ate about an inch of hi life and sardines in tomato, then abruptly stopped and backed away with his head down.
I wonder if he would start eating at all if it was just nausea or if he is in pain from his mouth so as soon as he has to chew, he can't eat. I am going to ask for painkiller. Bonjela was a stupid idea imho of the vet. Ok so one of his patients tolerates it, but it's a horrible taste.
I think it's a combo of his nasal drip causing nausea and his sore mouth that has caused the deterioration.

Swampy got sung all his old songs (to his lovely tufty little deaf head) on the roof and a big cuddle. When he was asleep, I cried my eyes out.
I hope the vet visit isn't a mistake. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2717 on: September 10, 2009, 13:02:49 PM »
Tons of positive healing vibes coming Swampy's direction.... I do hope the vet visit is a stress free one and that they can give him something to help him out~~~~~Am thinking of you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2716 on: September 10, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »
My connection is back up but not sure for how long as BT have messed the line up the ISP thinks. I will text MM if it goes again.

Swampy is not unhappy but is making a blocked nose noise when he breathes like a metallic purr. His weight isn't down at all despite his not eating, so that is a worry as it should be. I am taking him in at 3.30 today.  The vet did a home visit on tuesday but things have changed since then.
Later this morning I hope it's warm enough and there's some sun for Swampy on the roof. He does love that.  Please keep the vibes and prayers coming for him as he is poorly. He only ate about 2 inches of a/d off the plate so I gave him some on his tongue with my finger, then he cheered up a bit.  OH is coming too, which can help the vet to concentrate better. I think he thinks there's nothing he can do for Swampy and I'm sure that there is. He is not yet giving me the same vibe as Max when Max was near the end.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #2715 on: September 10, 2009, 08:42:07 AM »
Sending tons of positive vibes for Swampy and Kate  :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2714 on: September 10, 2009, 08:36:45 AM »
Have just been texting with Kate.  There is no change in Swampy, he is still not eating and he is off to the vet this afternoon to see what can be done.  He needs all our positive vibes to help him, he is such a brave little cat:)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2713 on: September 10, 2009, 07:01:05 AM »
Sending much love to Kate and to Swampy.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2712 on: September 10, 2009, 00:46:28 AM »
Sorry Swampys mum has internet problems -will still be looking for his updates - hope he is feeling better and we send loads of healing and eating vibes for Swampy. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2711 on: September 10, 2009, 00:44:50 AM »
Sorry Kate's internet is down at present.... Please give her my best wishes and let her know that I am sending tons of positive vibes out to her and Swampy~~~~Hope he picks up soon!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2710 on: September 09, 2009, 22:38:30 PM »
MM tell kae im thinking of her and sending tons of positive vibes for Swampy and hope its just the vets that have upset him, and im sending lots of sunshine for the next week so he can go out and bask in it,  :hug: :hug:i
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2709 on: September 09, 2009, 22:16:57 PM »
You've both been through so much and I read about his awful accident at the beginning of the thread. I can only wish you well and say a little prayer for you both. I suffered long cat ilnesses and it is heartbreaking but also heartmaking as the love continues to well-up all the way. Kisses to little Swampy and hugs to you. In my experience vets add hugely to the stress of an ill cat. I hope all goes as well as possible for you. :catlove2:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2708 on: September 09, 2009, 21:56:53 PM »
Kate's internet is out of action, at least until tomorrow.  I spoke to her a while ago on the phone.  Swampy is not good but his bloods have come back and they have not really deteriorated to any extent.  If Kate is not back online tomorrow I will try to update for her.  Positive vibes needed for our little Swampy man:)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2707 on: September 09, 2009, 09:52:30 AM »
Kate, do you feel he's letting go? It is hard, most of us on here have lost one of our furry family members at some time and none of us ever really get over it. Spend the day with him, most definitely and look after yourself. :care:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2706 on: September 09, 2009, 09:38:01 AM »
He's poorly and doing some very senior things. He's eaten a very little bit of food overnight and this morning. His blood results should be back tonight. He's had his fluids this morning and I'm going to spend the day with him, just trying to keep him happy. This is so very hard.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #2705 on: September 09, 2009, 08:51:52 AM »
Lots of vibes for the swampster and for you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2704 on: September 08, 2009, 22:52:21 PM »
Hope Swampy perks up again tonight - it may have just been the vet visit upset him.
Lots of healing and get better vibes to the choclit boy  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2703 on: September 08, 2009, 22:14:22 PM »
I hope he perks up again Kate, sending positive vibes  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2702 on: September 08, 2009, 18:19:12 PM »
Am sending so much love your way Kate, and for Swampy too. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2701 on: September 08, 2009, 18:15:27 PM »
Im sure its down to the vet and really hope that he perks up again....Thinkoing of you all!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2700 on: September 08, 2009, 16:33:04 PM »
I'm sorry he seems to be going downhill Kate  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2699 on: September 08, 2009, 16:31:19 PM »
The vet came to do his bp and bloods today at lunchtime and since then, Swampy is so much worse.  He refuses to eat anything and is lying in his bed, won't even purr. He got very stressed when the vet was here but I am extremely upset and anxious. I've not seen him like this before.
He was out on the roof and happy enough there, but he is clearly very unwell. Please send him your prayers or vibes that he can pick up again as he's done before.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2698 on: September 08, 2009, 11:39:34 AM »
Just googled and found this!  ;) :hug:

A cat needs the nutritional equivalent to 7-10 mice per day. This translates to 20 - 30 calories per pound per day. (some say 15-25 cal/pound).

Calories in canned cat food  www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html
Calories in dry cat food        www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/dryfood.html

I would also say there should be some leeway depending on age, ability etc!  :hug:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:41:19 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2697 on: September 08, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
just realised bad mother has been giving food that is 2 months out of date (the renal RC pouch). Stored under the bed for a rainy day, marked "nice food". They told me to chuck it. I have another lot exp in a few days time that I'm sure should be fine.

The problem is it has so many fewer cals than a can of k/d. 138 cals in a pouch (and being blended I'm losing some on the blender) as opposed to about 180 in a can. But if it's all he'll eat then it just has to be.
He doesn't do much so I suppose doesn't need much more than 100 cals in a day (?). He can't have more than he'll eat unless I assist feed and I don't want to do that.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2696 on: September 08, 2009, 09:28:59 AM »
 :thanks: :hug:

refusing to eat anything except the blended RC renal chicken. He just has to lick it up and he had a little plate this morning. I think maybe his mouth is sore but the antibiotics should help, although today is day 5 of them. Of course I'm stressing terribly.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2695 on: September 08, 2009, 01:08:45 AM »
Aw! Bless him, we can never quite imagine what a cat pal must go through....You have each other to comfort though Kate and that Im sure he is making the most of!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2694 on: September 07, 2009, 19:22:22 PM »
as he's a bit senior now he probably knows something is different, but maybe not what that something is

given all his problems it sounds to me as if he is doing pretty well, on the whole :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat