Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 368179 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2813 on: September 28, 2009, 04:53:24 AM »
Everything crossed here that the fluid build up will decreace with the meds without needing upping....Im so glad that he has had some sun and an obvious happy weekend....Long may this continue.... :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2812 on: September 27, 2009, 21:18:05 PM »
,Im glad its been sunny for Swampy and will send every single vibe i can muster that he shows some improvement overnight :Luv: hope you have loads of cuddles and purrs tonight and that its calm and peaceful for you all :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2811 on: September 27, 2009, 18:10:52 PM »
How long little Swampy can go on for will depend on whether the frusemide can get rid of his fluid build-up or if it keeps increasing.  It's touch and go at the moment. Please send vibes or prayers that they work. Of course they go for the kidneys, so it's not possible to do for long as his CRF is worsening too.

At least we've had a lovely sunny weekend here so Swampy has been basking.  He's very weak and needs my help with everything now, but a purry old man in the sun is such a joy to see. He also lay in my arms on the futon this morning and then lay in his dad's arms.  Such incredibly special moments.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2810 on: September 26, 2009, 17:16:50 PM »
Loads of healing vibes coming your way for the gorgeous Swampy , hope he has a good night and feels better tomorrow.

I have just had a look and those are what Bungly are on - 2 per day - but since Monday and she has only been on 1 steroid ( vets advice ) -the last 2 days she hasn''t been so good and today she isn''t good at all , she won''t eat anything and is very quiet - i am wondering whether to put her steroids back up to 2 again ? She goes back again Monday and seems like she has lost some fluid to my feeling round her tummy.

Dropping from 2 - 1 steroid is quite a drop..
as you know it was the steroids that kept Issey going for so long
I would be inclinded to put her back up and then tell your vet what you have done...sometimes WE do actually know what is better for our babies xxxx

Kate really sorry to hear that Swampy is so weak, hopefully the lovely sunshine this weekend will help to lift his spirits xxxx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #2809 on: September 26, 2009, 17:05:43 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2808 on: September 26, 2009, 13:57:08 PM »
Kate i hope the sun shines all weekend for Swampy so he can enjoy it :Luv: and have lots of cuddles and love together :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2807 on: September 26, 2009, 13:52:12 PM »
Im glad Swampy is enjoying cuddles with his mum and that the sun is shinning on him as he so deserves it...What a total sweetie he has been throughout Kate.....You should both be so proud of each other!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Dont like the thought of his duretic tonight, poor boy but a must is a must, just hope it dos'nt affect him badly this time! Thinking of you all x  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2806 on: September 26, 2009, 13:37:00 PM »
Hi, Swampy had a reasonable night and then at 6 this morning I brought him into the futon and he purred and slept in my arms for 3 hours.  He is now very weak and needing help with everything. I am so grateful that it is sunny as he is loving that today.  We will see how he is after the weekend. I am just making sure he is comfy and knows just how much he is loved. What is now sure is we don't have very long.

The diuretics (he has to have 1 more tonight unfortunately) made him feel ill and since them, he's drinking much less which is all very weird.

Bunglycat - can you try 1 1/2 steroids? Going from 2 to 1 is a huge reduction in dose in one go.  I hope it works. I know they have been a godsend for Swampy. I'm sure your vet told you that the best dose is the lowest, effective dose so maybe 1 is not enough.  1 every 48 hours has never been quite enough for Swampy. Good luck  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2805 on: September 25, 2009, 22:53:02 PM »
Im sorry Swampy is not doing so good ,and i hope he feels better tomorrow and enjoys some more sunshine, send mega loads of healing vibes for this wonderful little man and  positive vibes for you and OH and hope things improve for you all :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2804 on: September 25, 2009, 22:15:52 PM »
Loads of healing vibes coming your way for the gorgeous Swampy , hope he has a good night and feels better tomorrow.

I have just had a look and those are what Bungly are on - 2 per day - but since Monday and she has only been on 1 steroid ( vets advice ) -the last 2 days she hasn''t been so good and today she isn''t good at all , she won''t eat anything and is very quiet - i am wondering whether to put her steroids back up to 2 again ? She goes back again Monday and seems like she has lost some fluid to my feeling round her tummy.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2803 on: September 25, 2009, 21:22:20 PM »
Sending tons of positive healing vibes your direction Kate....You are all always in my thoughts....Much love x  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2802 on: September 25, 2009, 20:44:11 PM »
Loads of love, prayers, positive vibes and strength winging it's way from Manchester to my little friend Swampy XXXXXXXXX  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2801 on: September 25, 2009, 20:09:32 PM »
wishing loads of lovely dreams for Swampy in the warm glow of his fire, and no pain or suffering for the lovely man

and strength and fortitude for you and OH, Kate :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2800 on: September 25, 2009, 19:16:16 PM »
Swampy is poorly. He had another X ray. He has still got fluid around his lungs. He's on frusemide, which doesn't make them feel too well but is necessary. I had a good chat with the vet and with OH and we are really going day to day. This afternoon Swampy spent in the sunshine on the roof and he enjoyed that and he's now asleep in front of his very own heater.
Please if you can spare him your prayers and vibes right now.  The vet says he could deteriorate quite quickly.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2799 on: September 24, 2009, 17:21:35 PM »
Aw bless him...Im glad that he is eating okay as that's one worry less!  :hug:

Its the fluid saga again that must be such a worry.....Sending positive vibes that the steroid and Kaminox help him out and make him more stable bless...I do hope next week will be a smooth one for you both...much love!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2798 on: September 24, 2009, 13:58:56 PM »
thanks  :hug: and thanks Mark. I'm giving him one meal of RC renal a day now and the rest a/d. I spoke to the vet and he emailed me Swampy's blood results.

Only good news is that the Baytril has helped his infection so he's on it for a few more days. His albumin and protein are up, which is no doubt from the diet as he gets a/d, i/d and RC blended renal.  However the other news isn't so good. His creatinine is up to 376, urea 26 and there's a big jump in his ALT to 74. (less fluids maybe doesn't help). He is a bit more anaemic as his PCV is now down to 20.  However his potassium has dropped too, to 3.3 and my vet says that that explains the weakness as he is not in end stage CRF yet but the constantly dropping PCV and potassium are potentially a huge problem. Swampy has been on kaminox throughout, about a dropper (just under 1ml) a day, so all I can do is increase it to 2mls a day and hope that it helps.

The laurabolin has made him feel better, but it doesn't last long, not as long as the 18 days which is the minimum you can have before you can give it again. He's had 2 little plates of i/d by himself so far today as well as some a/d by syringe and has been purry and enjoying the sun on the roof. He had his brolly as it was pretty warm, a lovely day.  I am so grateful that he is having some good weather.

I'm supposed to get him to walk up and down the passage to keep his leg muscles going, but he doesn't want to and puts on the brakes and sits down. Everything is tiring and being blind, he likes just living where everything is familiar.
He's happy today which is lovely. I am very stressed though as OH has a week next week that he only has occasionally, where he just can't get off work should anything bad happen.  Please just hope with me that Swampy will respond to the kaminox and laurabolin and keep puddling along in his lovely little old man way.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2797 on: September 24, 2009, 08:01:04 AM »
just sending some love xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2796 on: September 24, 2009, 07:07:15 AM »
Good luck with the results Kate  :hug:

btw - It cam up on another thread. Gillian listed the ingredients of RC renal wet and it contains egg white.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2795 on: September 24, 2009, 00:21:32 AM »
 :crossed: for his blood results and I do hope he gains some strength in his back end!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2794 on: September 23, 2009, 20:37:53 PM »
I think egg yolk is high phosphorus but they get such a small amount is is fine I'm sure. Willow is CRF so I add a pump of renalzin to her meals anyway. Anyway I checked Ocado (a really good site for checking ingredients  :) ) and it says min 4% egg. The can is 85g so 3.2g of egg per can. Even if 1/2 that was yolk (which is unlikely), there would only be 1.6g of egg yolk per can so nothing to worry about.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2793 on: September 23, 2009, 20:29:14 PM »
:hug: Hope the blood results give some idea as to what is happening.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2792 on: September 23, 2009, 18:23:26 PM »
I think egg yolk is banned for CRF cats, not sure why.
Swampy had blood taken at the vets today and I'm nervously waiting for it to come back. His back legs are suddenly weak. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2791 on: September 23, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
You would think with the protien dropping he would be allowed the yolk as its a very good all round source!  :shocked:

Best of luck at the vets with Swamps Kate...hope the test results will be okay!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2790 on: September 23, 2009, 09:54:42 AM »
Hi Mark, well he's been given some hard boiled egg white but I always find it spat in his bed a few hours later. He is really good at pouching it. It's too big for a gelcap too! So no, must keep trying though.

Does that Souffles cat omelette (honestly, what next eh) food have egg yolk in it or just white, as he's not allowed yolk?  I'm still pondering (couldn't find it in the supermarket) powdered egg white, just to add a teaspoon to water should be easier. I made a right mess of syringing bisolvon down him in a syringe and egg white would be similar powder I assume, but think it's worth a go. Assuming the vet gets blood out of Swampy ok today, need to check his protein and albumin levels. Last time protein was dropping and albumin holding steady so the vet said to wait on the egg white if he doesn't like it because cats don't.
 :thanks:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2789 on: September 23, 2009, 09:21:01 AM »
Is he having the egg white Kate?

I bought Willow some Gourmet Gold tins last week that called "Souffles" - It looks like a catfood omlette  :evillaugh: . I think they are something like 5% egg. - I didn't hold out much he but Willow loves them.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2788 on: September 23, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »
Swampy's off to the vet again to try to see if they can get bloods, as his walking is getting weaker. Hope he allows it!  He did me a poo in the night, so what a relief. But his tum is still sore and bloated. He's not had fluids since sunday (only 50mls) so I expect the blood results will be much worse as he's less hydrated for sure. I'm always so nervous taking him in. It's a normal appointment so we won't have time to deal with all his issues, just get the bloods done.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2787 on: September 22, 2009, 17:29:32 PM »
He lay in my arms, purring and then sleeping from 5am.  The best present any boy could give his mum.

See I took this as better than a mouse!  :doh: :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2786 on: September 22, 2009, 12:12:59 PM »
So glad you two have had a lovely night together.....I hope the sun is your direction today!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2785 on: September 22, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »
He lay in my arms, purring and then sleeping from 5am.  The best present any boy could give his mum.

He's had some food and is sleeping. I just hope for a peaceful day and that he will continue to cope for a while longer yet. Thanks for all the good wishes for Swampy  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2784 on: September 21, 2009, 23:15:11 PM »
Billions upon billions of prayers and get better vibes from us all here - come on Swampy you can do it  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2783 on: September 21, 2009, 23:03:09 PM »
Prayers and vibes being sent by the bucket load~~~~~ :wish: :grouphug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2782 on: September 21, 2009, 23:01:11 PM »
Swampy is weak tonight. I don't know if he chewed up his steroid dose this morning so has had a big underdose as he started fading mid afternoon with that scare. Or if it is him just fading now. He is just lying quietly and still by his heater.
Please send prayers and vibes that he picks up.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2781 on: September 21, 2009, 22:45:31 PM »
Hope Swampy and you manage to have a peaceful night with no more scares, sending lots of positive vibes for him and hugs for you Kate :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2780 on: September 21, 2009, 22:37:34 PM »
Sending good vibes for Swamps, and you Kate  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2779 on: September 21, 2009, 22:35:34 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2778 on: September 21, 2009, 20:00:27 PM »
Oh Kate, thinking of you and Swampy and sending positive vibes to you all~~~~~~ :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2777 on: September 21, 2009, 18:50:06 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2776 on: September 21, 2009, 16:28:38 PM »
2 hours ago when on the roof, Swampy had a funny turn. He was a bit restless, unable to sleep, then fell into a sort of coma sleep. He started breathing shallowly and fast and through his nostrils. I couldn't wake him. I brought him in and I knew he needed the tray as it was time for a wee, but he collapsed and did the wee in a semi conscious state. Then he lay on the futon and after 1/2 hour I managed to wake him and get him to purr when brushed and to eat a nibble. But then he opened his bad eye (it's shut normally) and walked very slowly and wobbly to his bed where he is lying. He just wants to be alone. His breathing is a lot slower and I think both of us got a fright.

Vet isn't there, it's a locum today and I'm not sure what he could do anyhow and it would stress Swampy further so I am just watching him at home, counting his breathing and letting him know I am around if he needs help.  He's had bad dreams and been crazily fast asleep on the roof before from the sun, but not like this.
He is a little nervy now so I gave him his Istin early to help calm him. Probably need one myself as I am quite scared.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2775 on: September 21, 2009, 13:00:04 PM »
I know that arnica is brilliant for bruises on humans but didnt know it was any good for healing of sore spots......I would check its uses and whether it can be used safely on cats.............your vet does worry me sometimes LOL

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Link to CatChat