Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404870 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #573 on: October 04, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »
Poor Swampy.  Let me tell you though Kate that when my daughter had the viral encephalitis she had days when I despaired and days when she seemed perfectly normal.  This went on for three months so don't give up hope.  Now Swampy, you rest your little brain today and let mummy do the worrying for you.  Try to sleep little man and dream of sunshine.  I will check back later to see how he is and my fingers are all crossed for him. 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #572 on: October 04, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »
I don't know what to say either - other than you are trying your best for poor Swampy and giving him every possible chance  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #571 on: October 04, 2008, 11:36:15 AM »
Really don't know what to say but I do want you to know that I'm thinking of you both :grouphug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #570 on: October 04, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »
 :hug: he's finally gone to sleep. The carpet smells awful, we used a couple of different things but what should we use? He may get even more confused when he wakes up and thinks that is his tray as it smells of urine.
I'm sitting with him today and hope and pray he settles down and his brain calms later on. It's such a shock one month on.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #569 on: October 04, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »
Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #568 on: October 04, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »
C'mon Swampy  :hug: :hug: :hug:
love
Tab

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #567 on: October 04, 2008, 11:04:58 AM »
Oh swampy :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #566 on: October 04, 2008, 11:00:49 AM »
Hi, things have taken a turn for the worse since early this morning. Swampy's been very agitated although he did eat. He was confused and walking in circles all the time, some really small circles and always to the left,even getting stuck under one leg of the table. He then has wet the floor as I was out of the room for a minute and he obviously couldn't find the tray. He keeps walking left in circles which he's not done since he came home from hospital. I rang the vet who said his bloods were back and his kidneys are worse and that it's the neurological lesions from bleeding in his brain that are probably doing this. We will have to see if it lasts a day or if it is not something he can recover from, in which case we are very near the end for my little one.
Please send all your prayers and positive vibes for my Swamp today. He's now calmer as we turned on the heating and put him in a little bed he used to sleep in. He was doing well and this is unexpected, but the vet also said that with his higher kidney readings, that could be not helping. He can't find the water bowl either. I'm giving him some amino acid and potassium (caminax) drops 3x a day to try to help him, but right now things are difficult.  xx

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #565 on: October 04, 2008, 10:10:33 AM »
Sending strong vibes to Swampy :Luv2:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #564 on: October 04, 2008, 00:51:45 AM »
Week-end healing vibes again for brave little Swampy- have a restful night and hope you have lots of sunshine at the week-end . :hug: :hug: :hug: to all of you.

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #563 on: October 04, 2008, 00:47:25 AM »
oh and i think its uv b light you need to stimulate the production of the vitamin d in the body  :shy:

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #562 on: October 04, 2008, 00:42:16 AM »
am always thinking about you all - just never know what to say  :hug:

http://www.cybercheckout.co.uk/Items/Item.aspx?SKU=600154416

hope its useful  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #561 on: October 03, 2008, 23:03:35 PM »
I agree with some below and think it may stress Swampy if you confine him. I use Euchy oill most of time and it works well if you put some frops on top of hot water in a small dish.

Cats arent supposed to like the ssmell of it but my cats dont seem bothered and in London Kocka seemed to smell of it as she spent so much time on my bed.

I wouldnt put it close to him , just in the room that he spends most time in.

Lots of restful vibes to Swampy and you  :hug:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #560 on: October 03, 2008, 21:24:05 PM »
Hope you and Swampy have a good night's sleep - he has the best Meowmy so make sure you take care of yourself too.   Let's hope for some sunshine tomorrow.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #559 on: October 03, 2008, 20:43:58 PM »
Hope Swampy and you all have a lovely peaceful night and lot of sunshine tomorrow  :hug:

Offline bisley boys mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #558 on: October 03, 2008, 13:58:17 PM »
you are doing a great job and sometimes vets say things without thinking first, and they arent always right as i found out to the detriment of our old boy TC.

it sounds like he is enjoying life, as long as he is eating, and if its only a little, it doesnt matter, he will eat when he is hungry and little bits are easier for his tummy to cope with. its so nice that you can spend all this time with him, i have no doubt he appreciates it. i know how difficult it is and how easy it is to stress over our furbabes but they do pick up on it too. sounds like he is enjoying life in his own way.

my cat is also nearly 17 and he has had a few health problems but since changing vets he is coming on in leaps and bounds and is reverting to being a kitten at the moment but i still take it one day at a time as he was poorly for months before and i kept wondering when i came in from work if he would be there to greet me - just remember they can beat the odds and prove everyone wrong. swampy sounds like a fighter and a big character, he knows he has a great meowmy  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #557 on: October 03, 2008, 12:41:43 PM »
Don't be too disheartened by what the vet has said, from your 'diary' on here we can see what progress he has made  :hug:  We all get old sooner or later and that's an inevitable thing but that doesn't mean we have to give up fighting  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #556 on: October 03, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »
A lot of the "sunlight" type lamps I looked at seemed to be harsh tanning type ones where you have to wear googles. The bulbs or strips seemed like a good idea. I would assume if they are safe for birds and lizards, they must be fine for cats. Apparently, it penetrates fur  :)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #555 on: October 03, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »
Can you put something in an oil burner?  Eucalyptus or something similar? He might get stressed if you confine him

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #554 on: October 03, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
thanks again everyone  :hug:  I'm a bit zonked Mark so it didn't occur to me to put in a bulb in a desk lamp! That sounds a good idea. I'm going to forward the links on to the vet for his approval as we have to be a bit careful with any artificial light. Swampy got some kip last night (I must do something about making myself a bit comfier as am too scared to move in case I disturb the boys!) and is in the sun having a nice zzzz. I must go and get him some potassium powder as apparently that may perk him up a bit, and I'm waiting a bit nervously really for the results. I'm also wondering if I can confine him in his old travel rabbit cage for inhalation purposes (bowls of steaming water either side) or if that would be too stressful. He went into the bathroom with the extractor off at shower time today but it doesn't work terribly well. He needs steam!!

Purrs, head butts, whiskery kisses to you all  :hug: and if anyone can make the sun last the weekend, that would be just  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #553 on: October 03, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
I can only echo what the others have already said hun, you are doing an amazing job with darling Swampy  :hug:

Hope you guys had a good night, and that you can find a suitable lamp for the both of you  :)

Topping up with some Friday morning sunshine vibes and lots more  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #552 on: October 03, 2008, 05:59:20 AM »
I really feel for you just now  :hug: I think you are doing an outstanding job and your doing the Best you can do for Swampy  :Luv:
Sorry that your vet thinks he has deteriorated, but living things have a strange way of soldiering on when the odds seem stacked
against them, as long as there is the will to carry on!!
and remember Vet's do get it wrong at times !!

Sending all My Healing thought's to Swampy and Hugs for you both
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

p.s. give Swampy a chin rub from Me and Misty :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #551 on: October 03, 2008, 00:00:09 AM »
Hi,
That was a bit insensitive for the vet to say that - if it had been me -i would have felt upset too !
I thinkSwampy is doing fabulous considering all his health problems and the accident - you are doing an incredible job of looking after him .
My mums cat started looking old when it got to 15 - but sge lived till the beginning of this year and  was 22 then when she died - she  had heart problems and other illnesses , but kept going and then died in her sleep.
So heres hoping Swampy is around till he is 22 +
Sending lots of healing vibes to Swampy and sunshine for tomorrow.
Lots of positive vibes for you and  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to all of you.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #550 on: October 02, 2008, 23:20:21 PM »
how would you use it with a cat if they don't always sleep in the same place?

I don't know what the range is but the blurb on the manufacturers site say it is good for vitamin D.

I was wondering if you bought a bulb and put it in a regular lamp, you could move it around. I was thinking maybe a desk lamp that has a bendy shower hose type thing.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #549 on: October 02, 2008, 22:51:12 PM »
I am sorry that the vet said all that stuff and wish they would be a bit more sensitive to the hoomans feelings.  :hug:

None of us are getting younger and when you havent seen someone dor a while you notice changes that someone with them dont and I can look back at pictures of Kocka and I didnt notice at the time how bad she was looking cos I was with her all the time.

I think that Swampy has done so well and your love and care must have helped him so much. To think he is walking around finding food and the sunny bits to lie in, if you think back you never expected him to do these things, Cats are so remarkable.

Lots of snuggles to Swampy tonight and a good rest for both of you  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #548 on: October 02, 2008, 22:39:23 PM »
Yes well I suppose vets do see illness so much - I guess I'm tired and he said things I wasn't expecting. I'm worried about the test results too, but I'm not expecting them to be too brilliant. Poor wee boy just threw up all over the only bit of the paper I'd not read  (taking Pepcid and Zentonil doses for today with it :( ). All I can do is what all of you are doing too, which is to look after my little one as best as I can and to keep him as happy as possible for as long as possible.

On the light thing, thanks Mark.  I'm probably being thick, but how would you use it with a cat if they don't always sleep in the same place? I wonder what it's range is?  And thanks for the infra red link Maddiesmum - they seem to be often designed to warm up turtles and reptiles so I suppose really hot?! I've emailed the companies to ask about products.  I read (no science boffin me) on the internet that UV and Infra red occupy different parts of the spectrum, so it may not be possible to find them both in one suitable lamp (?). Mind you there was a medical one for $800 on the web  :Crazy:   Swampy needs to be warm (not hot) and get vit D.....his mum too. I read that we need 15 mins of sun a day!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #547 on: October 02, 2008, 19:49:01 PM »
He said how old Swampy was looking and how this has really knocked him back and what an old, retired boy he was now.

As Swampy'd had a better start to the day, I'm in tears as I type this as I KNOW he's old and hasn't got too long left, but I'm so proud of how well he's done

Thats a pretty insensitive thing for the vet to say - but there you go, some vets just don't have that bedisde manner do they?  :-: Of course he's going to look different from when the vet last saw him two years ago! Anyway, you know how much Swampy's improved since the accident,  and I'm sure he will continue to do so with your love, care and attention.  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #546 on: October 02, 2008, 18:28:10 PM »
http://www.24parrot.com/product.asp?cat_id=168&pf_id=8130a&jump=4&sfile=1=

I have done a bit of reading and this brand of lamp works well. The advantage is you only have to buy a striplight or a bulb, rather than a whole unit although they do also sell units.

Here is the manufacturers site http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=16&mid=13&lan=en

I saw their name mentioned on a few sites.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 20:19:27 PM by Mark »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #545 on: October 02, 2008, 15:32:56 PM »
Well that just goes to prove what a wonderful little survivor and fighter he is.  Bless him I want to give him a big hug - he is magnificent, so brave and strong and he has a wonderful family to love and care for him.  I so hope he has plenty of sunshine and that the lamp can help him.  My eyes are leaking right now

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #544 on: October 02, 2008, 15:31:02 PM »
Try www.acquatics-online.co.uk - they have infra red/UV lamps listed.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #543 on: October 02, 2008, 15:27:26 PM »
Swampy will be 17 on 16 October. He's had a lot of bad luck with health since 2005 though so maybe he feels a bit older than that. 2005 - big op for rabies vaccine caused tumour in France; 2006 freak reaction to Torbugesic sedative given for routine heart scan so he almost died from acute cholangiohepatitis; now this.

sending lots and lots of mega purrs and  :hug:  Don't know what I'd do without Purrs (and purrs) xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #542 on: October 02, 2008, 15:16:12 PM »
Well I am sorry that the vet said all those things to you and has upset you.  It is awful when we realise they are getting older and frailer.  How old is Swampy?  Anyway regardless of what the vet said he has done wonderfully well and seems to be adjusting a little at a time to his new disability.  Hopefully the results wont be as bad as you are fearing and remember we are all here for you.  Big  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #541 on: October 02, 2008, 15:03:03 PM »
The vet came and took a little blood from Swampy's leg as he wouldn't allow it from his neck. Didn't get enough to do all the tests. He said how old Swampy was looking and how this has really knocked him back and what an old, retired boy he was now. Swampy's also a bit dehydrated, so I have to syringe water into him and put water in his food (he only drinks in the early mornings). He nicked some more of Max's food while the vet was talking to me, which I took as a good sign, but he seems to think that seeing Swampy at home, he can see how he has really deteriorated since he first saw him (2 years ago). He told me that Swampy is at very high risk of another accident because he is blind and deaf and has some signs of dementia, so it's good that I'm unemployed and can stay and look after him until the end.

As Swampy'd had a better start to the day, I'm in tears as I type this as I KNOW he's old and hasn't got too long left, but I'm so proud of how well he's done and I suppose I thought the vet would be pleased wit him and I just don't want him to suffer. I don't think he's suffering right now. Anyhow we will know more about the kidneys and liver tomorrow evening or saturday morning and I"m nervous about that as he had not just the trauma but huge doses of drugs.  And the vet was nice and said he'll do a letter for the insurance about the home visit as thinks the less stress Swamps has the better. Swampy even let him pick him up and cuddle him too - it was so much better than a surgery visit. I also have to give him some potassium in his food. He thinks the days off eating were probably due to his CRF spiking, but we should know more when the results come back. And his gulping and licking is because his nose is blocked.

He also told me we probably aren't there yet (results depending) but there's a new thing for CRF cats that avoids sub Qs, if they keep it in place (IF)  - a tube inserted in their vein which you just top up with saline every few hours.  The risk there is infection. It all sounds more than I was hoping for right now I suppose.

The only thing that made me smile was when Max came to see what was going on, took one look and went WAAAH no, and disappeared. Not just a pretty face is our Max!

So I'm just going to keep looking after my beloved purry old man as best I can.  One thing he did say was that a heat lamp like for SAD but with UV rays that generate vitamin D would really help him feel better.  If anyone can help me find that (must be infra red and UV mix to a certain frequency that gives off vit D; not just halogen heater type) on google, I'd be very grateful. I'm not sure what to google really. Vet says I can send him the links by email and he'll tell me what's best.

thanks again to you all for listening and reading this. Swampy's purring his head off now so he's going to get another cuddle and 400 kisses. Wouldn't eat much lunch but I hope he eats something nice later  :hug:  :hug: from us all. He is in the sun and enjoying it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 15:08:18 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #540 on: October 02, 2008, 13:45:25 PM »
I'm glad Swampy is feeling well enough to nick food  :Luv2:

Also good that you are getting a UK made topper. The cheaper ones are mainly Chinese which I wouldn't buy for lots of reasons, one being that they contain nasty chemicals which seep out into the atmosphere.

I think if I hadn't stopped buying Chinese made before, I would have now as I wouldn't trust anything made there. I hope the rest of the world has the same views.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 13:46:55 PM by Mark »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #539 on: October 02, 2008, 10:24:50 AM »
Clever boy Swampy  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #538 on: October 02, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »
Today's the vet's visit IF he finishes operating early enough to come. Max decided to try to throw up on me at 4am so I've had a bit less sleep than I wanted (mattress toppers back on the agenda but Aldi nowhere near here and the internet says £100  :shocked: for a Uk made memory foam double). But the sun's out and he's found it. He ate quite well this morning, not so much of his own, but then to my amazement just now he ambled into the kitchen and started helping himself to a bit of Max's RC dry! I wonder if that's the Pepcid talking as he's not done that for yonks?! I'll let you know if he allows blood to be taken at home. Last time the vet only got enough for the kidney and liver tests, not the biochem due to "non co-operation of the patient". Anyhow must make a list of questions and also tidy up a bit (oops).
 :hug: to everyone, hope the sun stays out and we all have a peaceful day.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #537 on: October 02, 2008, 08:55:12 AM »
I echo what Sue P says hope the vet visit goes well and that he is happy with the boy's progress.  Looking forward to our daily update  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #536 on: October 02, 2008, 07:04:10 AM »
Morning Kate.  Sending early morning hugs and healing snuzzles to you and Swampy.    :care:  Is today the vet's visit?  If so, I hope that he'll be delighted with Swampy's progress and your care of him, and that he'll be able to set your mind at rest over some of the issues that've been worrying you, such as Swampy's  swallowing, and his not wanting to eat much the other day.    :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #535 on: October 02, 2008, 01:33:32 AM »
Have a good rest Swampy  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #534 on: October 02, 2008, 00:19:28 AM »
Topping up the healing vibes - hope you have a resful night and sunny day tomorrow :hug: :hug: :hug: to all of you

Link to CatChat