Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404858 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #653 on: October 07, 2008, 16:22:18 PM »
That is lovely  :)

Great that he is getting some tlc from Max as well  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #652 on: October 07, 2008, 16:19:13 PM »
I took a little video and photos of Swampy earlier this afternoon. Will try to post them and hope it works.

The video clip when posted takes you to access my whole album - nothing private in there (cats!) but how do you keep it just the one video, or upload it simply from iPhoto please? It's one of the boys cleaning each other.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 16:22:20 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #651 on: October 07, 2008, 15:21:03 PM »
Nothing useful to say except I'm thinking of you both  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #650 on: October 07, 2008, 14:39:40 PM »
this is so hard for you, you will know when you think the bad is outweighing the good but at the moment it seems to change from minute to minute  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #649 on: October 07, 2008, 14:35:56 PM »
I know how many of you have had these kind of decisions to take, and me too with little ones before. But in the past, the decision has been in one way easy, in that the suffering was no longer bearable or necessary and it was just the hardest but only thing to do. But how do you deal with this - Swampy was asleep all morning, then got up and wandered around in circles....then he found the staircase (there are 15 stairs up to the mezzanine in the lounge) and up he went. Once up there, Max bounded up and he circled round and round, sniffing happily for the most part. I could see how tired he was getting so guided him to the staircase and he sort of plopped down all of them on his own. Then of course I had to guide him to the tray again. He still won't drink either on visiting the bowl or having it offered to him and knocked the Kaminox dropper out of my hand with a paw as he was so pissed off with being given medicine. He's really robust and strong for his age. However the brain's still bad as when he sits he moves his head and eyes side to side, which isn't a good sign at all and is why he is disoriented and circling.
For his slight dehydration, all I can do is add water to his food and hope he drinks later. If I put it in his mouth with a syringe, he just spits it out. I love my bravest little burmese so much. 

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #648 on: October 07, 2008, 14:12:37 PM »
Sending some more healing vibes for Swampy and his family today. :hug:

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #647 on: October 07, 2008, 09:46:20 AM »
Topping up the healing vibes thinking of you all  :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #646 on: October 07, 2008, 09:12:06 AM »
topping up with loads more healing vibes this morning, sounds like you could both do with some rest this morning, so hope you manage a purry cuddle and some sleep  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #645 on: October 07, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »
He woke me at 3 and was manic until about 7. A little calmer now but the steroids have made him a bit more agitated. No sign of any improvement otherwise. His mum's knackered so I must rest and hope for the best this morning. Lots of love and  :hug: to everyone xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #644 on: October 07, 2008, 07:57:42 AM »
I hope the meds do buy him some time and that it is as simple as an ear infection rather than the other things the vet thought. Do you have a shop called The Range near you? I got some kitten milk from there, and they did seem to have a range of feeding things, sure one did look quite long.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #643 on: October 07, 2008, 07:36:34 AM »
I hope Swampy had a good night and that he continues to do good today  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #642 on: October 07, 2008, 06:17:55 AM »
Good morning hugs for you all.  Hope Swampy has a good day.  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #641 on: October 07, 2008, 00:17:10 AM »
Good night kisses and healing  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: for Swampy and stress free  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you for doing such a great job.
Everything crossed here ( including 5 sets of paws) for a better day tomorrow with improvement.
Take care.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #640 on: October 07, 2008, 00:09:32 AM »
Keep strong Kate and Swampy  :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #639 on: October 06, 2008, 23:54:24 PM »
Popping in to give Swampy his good night kiss X

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #638 on: October 06, 2008, 23:36:13 PM »
Have a good rest Swampy and you, hope he is feeling a bit brighter in the morning  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #637 on: October 06, 2008, 23:12:50 PM »
I don't know if it's positive - it could just be a one-off - but you know when it's like this, you take what you can - tonight he made a metre's progress by walking in circles towards the futon. I only had to rescue him when he got very agitated; he was near it but didn't know, so the circles got more manic. Plus before that I'd put some water in his food and it clearly made him want to drink (with the cortisone) so he headed off, he walked with his head right down, used the Bastis tent as a marker and somehow he found his water bowl. He drank a bit, having missed it a couple of times, then walked in circles around and came back and drank some more. So I don't have to try to get water in him tonight at least. His potassium meds Kaminox comes in a bottle with a really good 2ml dropper. The one OH bought at Boots is 0.5mls, not so good. As Swampy's the nearest to a baby I've ever had, can you please tell me what a weaning bottle looks like (sorry!).

many thanks from all of us for all the help, with comfort and prayers and wishes. We all hope you all have a good night. xx

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #636 on: October 06, 2008, 22:45:58 PM »
Just catching up with this thread and am so sorry to hear Swampy isn't so good. I can only echo what everyone has said and hope the injections do the trick. He is very lucky to have a mum like you who cares for him so much.

Sending lots of  :hug: for you all, come on Swampy we're all praying for you.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #635 on: October 06, 2008, 22:06:06 PM »
I would recommend a weaning bottle it has a long nozzle and worked fine on Gem

Hope you are coping :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #634 on: October 06, 2008, 21:30:42 PM »
Kate, thinking of you and Swampy, XX
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #633 on: October 06, 2008, 21:11:54 PM »
Just popped on to wish you all a peaceful and restful night with improvement in the morning.  Come on Swamps, don't give in now.  :hug: :hug: :hug:.  Don't give up hope Kate until there is none.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #632 on: October 06, 2008, 21:09:40 PM »
Poor  , poor you and poor old Swampy. No matter what hapopens he has had a fantastic life with you and you will know when the time is right to show him that very last kindness and let him go peacefully. :'( :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #631 on: October 06, 2008, 21:09:13 PM »
He said though that some people let their cats or dogs go on like this for ages and that's their decision but he thinks we must now seriously consider pts (as if we hadn't, all weekend) if this week shows no improvement and we talked that through, which helped me to understand how he does it. He told me he uses a firm in Cambridge for cremations, KT or something like that. I could see that he thinks it won't be long now as he spoke gently to me about what a lovely life Swampy has had with us.

I know this fear is now more real than it has been before Kate  :hug:
But I know You will have Swampys quality of life in the forefront of your mind xxx

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #630 on: October 06, 2008, 21:06:48 PM »
Just catching up with this thread. Wish there was some help or advice I could give but all I can do is offer more crossed fingers :grouphug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #629 on: October 06, 2008, 20:09:01 PM »
I am so sorry to read all this and Swampy is such a brave boy and you are taking great care of him.  All I can do is send lots more good vibes for Swampy  :hug: :hug:

Reference the water and stuff I would aim for the cheek cos I would be so scared that it would go into his lungs by accident.

I just hate to say this but now he is blind as well as deaf and he is virtually having to be forced drinking which he hates....................................................... :(

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #628 on: October 06, 2008, 19:53:35 PM »
Swampy just got up and I guided him to the tray. His circles were bad. However I couldn't get him to drink. Where can I get a decent dropper (chemist here doesn't have them, nor does vet) and/or the type of syringe that has a sort of long nozzle to put into the side of his mouth? The 1ml or 2.5ml syringes I use are hopeless. He just spits out the water I give him. I need to get 2 or 3 syringes into him at a time at least. He gets very stressed when I hold his head and try to do that. I also have to do his vitamins with that dropper and lactulose, so he's got very used to it and hates it. The larger syringes have a small, snub nozzle which is even worse. I'm also worried that I will shoot water down (as he jerks his head) into his lungs. Should I aim for the cheek and how do I stop him spitting it out? He's got very canny at doing just that. If it's a dropper, do I aim for the back of his mouth or the side/cheek (assuming I can aim with him wriggling). thanks  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #627 on: October 06, 2008, 19:21:40 PM »
I so hope that the medication the vet has given him will help.  He was doing so well and you are doing great with him.  It must be so hard for you seeing your little man like this and praying he will improve all the while knowing that you can't let him go on like this indefinitely.  This is the really  :censored: side of pet ownership.  Sending loads of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you both.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #626 on: October 06, 2008, 17:23:06 PM »
Oh I am so sorry Kate.  Let's hope the medications kick in and help our Swampy.  It is a difficult time and will be a very difficult decision if it comes to that and I sincerely hope it doesn't.  you and Swampy have fought so hard and he has done so well in many ways.  As I have said before it is a testament to the loving care you have given him.  My thoughts and prayers are with you all and let's hope our Swampy boy responds.  xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #625 on: October 06, 2008, 17:21:01 PM »
:grouphug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #624 on: October 06, 2008, 17:14:24 PM »
Thinking of you Kate & Swampy  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
« Reply #623 on: October 06, 2008, 17:01:31 PM »
Kate, I wish that there was something that I could say or do to make this better for you and dear little Swampy. Let's hope that the steriods give him some relief. Whatever happens you have done everything you possibly could for the little guy, no-one could have done more. I know that you will always do what is best for Swampy. Much love. :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #622 on: October 06, 2008, 16:53:26 PM »
Oh Kate  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Can't say much more as I just don't know what to say
xxxxx

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #621 on: October 06, 2008, 16:05:52 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Hoping that the injections all start to work for him in the next 24 hours .
Will continue to send healing vibes for him - take care, you are doing a fantastic job of caring for him - no-one could look after him better. :hug: :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #620 on: October 06, 2008, 15:28:54 PM »
Thinking of you both  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #619 on: October 06, 2008, 15:22:06 PM »
He's had a steroid and antibiotic injection, the steroid is a 3 day one. Now we just wait to see if there's any improvement. The vet was very nice and explained to me that Swampy has some rapid side to side eye movement which, with his circling, means either a tumour, brain injury or middle ear infection and without an MRI we have no real idea, but most likely some afters from the brain injury a month ago obviously. In 3 - 7 days we should see an improvement if there's going to be one. He told me Swampy's not in pain and his circling is to stabilise himself so don't stop him unless he's becoming distressed. I watched him circle with the vet and eventually Swampy sat down. The vet says it will be tough for me as it's 24/7 nursing and he will need to drink and pee more with the steroids and can't reach his bowl or tray.
He said though that some people let their cats or dogs go on like this for ages and that's their decision but he thinks we must now seriously consider pts (as if we hadn't, all weekend) if this week shows no improvement and we talked that through, which helped me to understand how he does it. He told me he uses a firm in Cambridge for cremations, KT or something like that. I could see that he thinks it won't be long now as he spoke gently to me about what a lovely life Swampy has had with us.
But the steroid may mask and help him over the next few days and I hope so. When the vet left, Swampy managed to get on to the futon (he's not been doing that today) and had a tummy rub and purr. The vet agreed that with Swampy's neuro problems it's a terrible decision as physically he's still a strong little man.
I suppose it's normal, but I sort of alternate between hope and tears. Swampy is now in the igloo on a hottie and has had a mouthful of food. We all send everyone a huge  :hug:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #618 on: October 06, 2008, 14:53:27 PM »
Thinking of you  :hug:

More huggles, love and positive vibes for Swampy xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #617 on: October 06, 2008, 14:37:10 PM »
Hope theres something the vet can do for him  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #616 on: October 06, 2008, 14:29:01 PM »
Come on Swampy we are all behind you.  Hope the vet's visit is successful and has a positive outcome.  You are in my thoughts x :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #615 on: October 06, 2008, 11:14:45 AM »
Morning Kate and Swampy....and not forgetting Max

Hope the vet visit goes well....I am out for the day but will be checking this thread as soon as i get back!

Give both boys a kiss from me xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #614 on: October 06, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »
I've not posted much on here, but have been reading and hoping Swampy makes it through this. Whatever the diagnosis is by the vet today, you've done all you can and Swampy is loved so much. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat