Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404855 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #693 on: October 09, 2008, 14:35:48 PM »
Go swampy, keep it up little man  :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #692 on: October 09, 2008, 13:45:18 PM »
:cheer: :yayyy: :care: :Applause: :blow kiss: :yesss:

WTG swampy soldier.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #691 on: October 09, 2008, 13:04:02 PM »
My littly managed to get off the bed by himself, then walked down the passage by himself in a straight line. I took him to the tray (needs more water - teeny puddle) and he left the kitchen easily (first time since saturday) and has gone to lie on the futon in the sun.  I'm trying not to get too excited but cortisone - thank you. Spoke to the vet again who wants to hold back on too much cortisone unless he deteriorates as it may kick in his herpes. He doesn't know if the agitation (he's only NOW got to sleep since midnight) may be good or bad, not sure. Swampa (Swamp-purr) is fighting, bless him.  :hug:  :hug: Day to day or hour to hour as you say! xx

going to use those urine collection pipettes to get water into him,unless anyone has a better idea? My friend is a cook and she said try pipettes rather than syringes. Or I could use the potassium med dropper (2mls) but all his water would taste yuk.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 13:06:30 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #690 on: October 09, 2008, 11:40:09 AM »
Kate try not to worry too much about what might be and concentrate on the what is.  He hasn't had anymore seizures since the accident has he so there is no reason why he should have one now.  See how he goes (I can understand your nervousness re weekends) and let's hope he improves gradually each day.  All things considered he has done so well so far and let's hope this circling is just a blip and can be controlled.  I don't like Fortekor too much either, I lost my Dragan due to that but it was a very rare side effect and hopefully half the dose will help Swampy.

Thinking of you and hoping you get some rest and relaxation today and that Swampy boy has lots of sunshine and as good a day as he possibly can  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #689 on: October 09, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
I just spoke to the vet. He doesn't want to top up the cortisone as thinks it has worked but wants to see how Swampy goes over the next few days (weekend coming, always makes me so nervous). Also says I must give Swampy a half dose of fortekor which may help his bp a little bit as well as his kidneys. If he becomes depressed on that, we must try Istin. Swampy did so badly on fortekor before (at full dose) that I took him off it. I'm the one motivating my concern that the pacing and agitation could be leading up to another brain episode but anyhow he said he can come and visit him in the next couple of days if needs be.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #688 on: October 09, 2008, 09:34:48 AM »
I am sorry he has been pacing all night, will probably sleep all day now.  Glad that things have improved a little though.  I would just ask  your French friend to postpone the visit due to personal circumstances and not go into any long explanation.

Best of luck and sunny day hugs

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #687 on: October 09, 2008, 09:19:36 AM »
sun is out  ;D but Swampy's just fallen asleep now. He's been very awake since midnight last night; done a lot of pacing and a bit of miaowing and getting marooned on the stairs (rescue me time); missed the new litter tray but at least found it - and walking a little straighter today and eating a lot. I assume that's the cortisone (?) which was only meant to last 3 days but kicked in yesterday (jab given mon afternoon at 2 ish).
I will call the vet to ask when it should be repeated, maybe not today.
I don't know how or if we can calm him a bit at night as I threw in the towel (spat the dummy) at 4am leaving a tired OH to take over until 7. I have to go out this morning for an hour so I hope the little one will zzzz and not get stuck anywhere or wet the carpet (thanks for the bio washing powder tip). I don't like seeing him so agitated, but hope that it's not a bad sign. So hard to know.
lots of sunny purrs to everyone this morning and am hoping for the best  :hug:

Got a tricky conversation to have with a friend who wants to come to London later this month - I just can't do the Show London buzz thing right now, whether or not Swampy is still with us or not. She's french and lovely but not someone who understands quite why all this 'fuss' about animals; would get mighty offended if I said I wouldn't arrive if your son or daughter was so very ill. It's so hard to know what to say (in another language) as she's a really great friend and I don't want to hurt her feelings; she's disabled, not well off at all and has been looking forward to the trip and planning it for ages. All a lot easier in English!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #686 on: October 09, 2008, 09:13:56 AM »
More topping up vibes on their way, and more of these too :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope you all have a good day today xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #685 on: October 09, 2008, 09:00:08 AM »
Just topping up the healing vibes for Swampy and praying the sunshine comes your way  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #684 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:45 AM »
Just been catching up with Swampy's progress, and sending more healing top ups for him this morning.  Kate, am also sending big higs to you too, because I feel for your sleepless nights (and your neighbour's snoring sounds horrendous!  :evillaugh:)   :hug: :hug: :hug:  And a big whiskery PPPprrrffpppppt from Paddy.  ;) ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #683 on: October 09, 2008, 07:38:25 AM »
Hoping you all managed a restful night and have a lovely sunny day  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #682 on: October 09, 2008, 01:31:52 AM »
Hoping for a restful night for all of you - big :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: and healing vibes for Swampy+ kisses from the Lincoln persian gang :Luv2:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #681 on: October 08, 2008, 23:49:23 PM »
Topping up the vibes for you both.  I hope Swampy has a good night tonight and that you manage to get some sleep too  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #680 on: October 08, 2008, 23:09:28 PM »
thanks again so much  :hug:  I hope Swampy will sleep a bit better tonight, but he's done quite a bit of zzzzing this afternoon so.....OH says I must wake him up at 5am so he can do a 1 1/2 hr shift while I rest (lol). I'm trying not to land on the futon until about midnight by which time I hope Swampy's had a tray visit, but he does like a wander and a miaow in the night. I've put a spare tray where he normally goes, but he'll probably head off in the other direction as a result! And I've got my earplugs as my downstairs neighbour's snoring is unbelievable - earthquake (and he gets 10 hours a night).  I'm trying to keep cheerful, but I have to ring the vet tomorrow to tell him if another cortisone jab is required. If all is as it is now, I am sure that we will give him another one maybe on Friday to see if he can improve at all or if not.  good night to everyone and big purrs and  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #679 on: October 08, 2008, 19:38:25 PM »
Heres hoping both Swampy and his meowmy get a restful night.xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #678 on: October 08, 2008, 19:32:17 PM »
Bless him he tries so hard.  Hope he had plenty of sunshine to enjoy today and hope you all have a quiet night with lots of sleep  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #677 on: October 08, 2008, 18:32:50 PM »
I do hope Swampy found the sunny bit and had a good snooze and you too  :hug: :hug:

Lots of good thoughts for Swampy tonight  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #676 on: October 08, 2008, 16:39:18 PM »
Swampy is brave indeed.  Just to say that I'm thinking of him and of you.

:hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #675 on: October 08, 2008, 16:26:26 PM »
Topping up the love, huggles and positive vibes for Swampy xxx Thinking of you Brave boy xxx

:hug: for you Hun - try and take care of yourself and get some rest xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #674 on: October 08, 2008, 14:55:35 PM »
Hugs for Swampy!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #673 on: October 08, 2008, 11:21:28 AM »
I'm just catching up as I've been away for a few days.

More vibes from us  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #672 on: October 08, 2008, 09:47:58 AM »
Hi, I'm keeping a sort of diary but formalising it is a good idea especially as I am so tired. Swampy decided that 1.45am was wake up time and got up every hour on the hour last night for either food or a wee, so no sleep for me.  We are going to have to sort out some way that he can get to a nearby tray at night so that I can possibly move for a few hours a night to the bedroom or at least get some sleep as a month with no real sleep makes life and decisions and everything so hard. The sun has arrived so hopefully some of the morning we can lie on the bed - he'll sleep, I'm too wound up to sleep during the day so rest is NB I suppose.
He got half way up the stairs again this morning and found the water bowl (once) by himself, but then again he needed a lot of leading at other times. I think the cortisone's helped. Anyhow barring any dramas today he will most likely be having a top up dose of it tomorrow or Friday as he is still not at that point where we are sure that there's no quality of life. We know there's not long, it's more a question of how long, as there is no way I am putting him through any invasive kidney support stuff like sub Qs when he has such a lot on his plate already. The vet said there would be more clarity in 2 weeks and then it's deciding what he can cope with. He is such a brave little cat and such a fighter and while he's still clearly having some enjoyment, so be it.
 :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #671 on: October 08, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
I, too, think the diary is a good idea that way you can see if there is any pattern to his behaviour.

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #670 on: October 08, 2008, 09:16:37 AM »
Mornin  :hug:  Hope you all had a good night, and that you're feeling a bit better yourself after hopefully a better night' sleep  :hug:

I think the suggestion of a diary is a good one, to keep a record of when he has his good times and not so good times, so that way you can see when one starts to outweigh the other.

Topping up with oodles of healing vibes, and hope you've got some sunshine today, if not I'll wing some of ours over at about 11 ish  :)

Sending lots more  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: too xxx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #669 on: October 08, 2008, 08:09:13 AM »
I hope he is better, and at least you can be practical about what quality of life he does have. I think maybe some kind of diary so you can work out how many good/bad times in a 24 hour period might help.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #668 on: October 08, 2008, 06:59:41 AM »
Hope you all had some sleep and that you are feeling better this morning Kate.  Hope too that the meds help with Swampy  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #667 on: October 07, 2008, 23:39:12 PM »
Take care of yourself too, Swampy needs you  and you are doing such a great job with him, i can only imagine how upsetting this is for you - but whilst there is hope !
Healing vibes to all of you and lots of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: for a resful night.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #666 on: October 07, 2008, 23:15:27 PM »
Hope you feel a bit better if you can get some sleep  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #665 on: October 07, 2008, 22:22:26 PM »
Yes I think the key is if he can learn to do things for himself and isn't constantly circling distressed & having to be led to the tray or water bowl. If I'd posted a video of the walking or circling you'd see what I mean. It's unbearable to watch. He starts out ok and then becomes more and more unstable as he turns faster, in little circles. Yes, it's vestibular, like with ears but isn't ears - it could be lesions (most likely) from when the swelling has gone down, in key areas of his brain. Or it could be that he has a tumour. The cortisone has helped a little, with appetite certainly and he is not unhappy as you say when he is sitting or lying down, especially with me or Max. He has moments when I have hope. Tonight he found the litter tray and walked 2ms in a reasonably straight line. But then he left the tray and had no idea how to get back to the bed and circled frantically and cried. The trouble with not having an MRI is that the vet and I don't know what we are dealing with. An MRI would let us know if there's any hope - but he can't have an MRI.

I hope he has a restful night as I'm not very well and could use a few hours' kip tonight!  :hug: to everyone xx I will pass on all your messages too.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #664 on: October 07, 2008, 20:52:57 PM »
I think you are doing everything right Kate.  Swampy still wants to eat, still purrs and enjoys his cuddles with Max.  His prognosis is not good and his world will be smaller but if he can learn to do things for himself and the circling is under control with the meds then fair enough.  If not then I understand what you are saying.  However, I still say don't give up hope whilst there is some.

Hope you all have a good night  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #663 on: October 07, 2008, 20:41:12 PM »
I just love that video and the pics, Swampy and Max are such a gorgeous pair and he doesnt look ill at all in the video  ;D

Times like these are so very very hard and Kocka probably went down hill too far and then had fluid on her lungs along with all her other problems and I still remember her at the vets on the last morning and felt so bad cos I couldnt get to see her for 24 hrs and I knew how she hated vets. By then she was on a drip and just lying there and it broke my heart. She was always such a fighter and I felt that while she was fighting I had no right to send her to the Bridge.........too late maybe but I will never know   :'(

I think the decision with Swampy is much harder cos neuro and ears are a real problem,,,,,,,,,,,,I know this cos I have an ear problem and and they thought it was neuro........in a way it is because my brain cant balance me properly. The rapid eye motion and Swampys circling indicate this type of problem. Swampy looks so good and I can feel your pain and understand so much what you are going through.

You are doing a great job with Swampy and one of the senses he still has is touch and he must get so much pleasure from his interaction with Max and yourself and he is thinking clearly if he can bat things out of your hand and spit stuff out and is telling you, heyyyyyyyy I dont like that  ;D

I am sending lots of healing vibes for Swampy and hope that you both have a good rest tonight  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #662 on: October 07, 2008, 17:17:30 PM »
there's something wrong with my iPhoto, it's greyed out certain images and Apple aren't sure why. Anyhow among them are the semi-pro ones taken in 2007 (I have CDs luckily) where he looked really well. But after posting I went back and looked at the sept/oct 2006 ones during the liver disease and he looked so frail. We thought we'd lose him back then and he'd not make his 15th birthday on the 16 October. I remember he'd have 10 tiny meals of that l/d muck a day for nearly a year.  Yes, he has such character and strength which is why we want to give him every chance to fight.

But although the pics make me happy, I'm acutely aware that he's deaf, blind, has CRF, herpes, a dodgy liver, a heart murmur, arthritic legs and now worst of all, brain injury or tumour which means he can't do anything for himself. So if there is nothing but illness and being taken to the loo and water bowl to look forward to, I'll have my wonderful memories. I just wish I could show you one of him as a youngster but none of those are digital and all of them are in storage too.
going to log out now and see if I can get him to drink as his skin folds aren't going back too well. xx he sent a purr then xx
I'll ask about the snogging!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 17:37:14 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #661 on: October 07, 2008, 17:11:37 PM »
Just adding to the healing vibes.  :hug: Take care of yourself too  :hug:

Beautiful pic.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #660 on: October 07, 2008, 17:05:38 PM »
They do look like they are snogging. It is incredibly lovely to watch.  Swampy does look so well and healthy too.  Bless that little cat he has such inner strength.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #659 on: October 07, 2008, 16:43:41 PM »
Yep, it's definitely private now ie just that video shows.  They look like they're snogging in the first bit  :-[

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #658 on: October 07, 2008, 16:40:26 PM »
Awwww bless them, lovely video  :Luv:

And a lovely photo too, he's such a handsome boy  :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #657 on: October 07, 2008, 16:38:28 PM »
Many thanks Helen! OK so here's the video clip then of the cleaning session (I must get him to drink as this and ear cleaning went on for a full 25 mins in the igloo before zzzzing). Yes he looks robust for his age, that's why having a neuro illness is just so terribly tragic.  Vet said if his brain was ok, he could live another year quite possibly. I think it would be easier as I say if he was terribly frail.
Anyhow I enjoyed taking this and watching them:

(let me know if it's still on public, I did switch it to private but with me and my head the way it feels, can never be sure).   :hug:  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 16:38:55 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #656 on: October 07, 2008, 16:36:50 PM »
I dont know what to say Hun, when the time has come to say goodbye to my furbabies in the past they have always told me in their own way and basically given up in one way or another.  I have always said that whilst they still fight to live I will always fight for them.

Thinking of you and still sending healing vibes for Swampy xxx  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  He is such a handsome boy x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #655 on: October 07, 2008, 16:30:05 PM »
What a lovely photo of a lovely boy, from how you've been describing the last few weeks I was expecting him to look frail and weak but he looks so strong  :hug:

To make photobucket show just the one vid that you post rather than your whole album - log into your photobucket account, choose 'account options' (top right) scroll down to 'album settings' and change it to 'private' rather than 'public'.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #654 on: October 07, 2008, 16:23:59 PM »
you're probably just the person to ask Mark as you are a mac man?? You saw it before I edited it - yes Max does a lot of cleaning him but Swamp spends ages cleaning da Max's ears x
had to use flash for the photo to get a shutter speed fast enough but almost all the others are blurry as Swampy moves his head and eyes left to right all the time.
another one of them zzzzing in the igloo

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 16:28:13 PM by swampmaxmum »

Link to CatChat