Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 401017 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2893 on: October 16, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »
Poor love, the day got off to a good start with purrs and love, but he's since been sick again. 1 1/2 hours after eating. I hope he kept some of it down. He's upset there's no sun, just the heater.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2892 on: October 16, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »
happy birthday Swampy - though you may be a bit too grown up for :disco:

here's hoping for some  :summer 1: at least

and failing that, at least some sunshine in your heart - cos I don't think Kate will allow you one of these :cake4:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2891 on: October 16, 2009, 11:20:34 AM »
Happy birthday swampy  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2890 on: October 16, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »
happy birthday swampy, 18 is an amazing age!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2889 on: October 16, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »
Today is Swampy's 18th birthday. I didn't want to post in the lead up to it as he has been so poorly. I feel so blessed to share it with him. Even if he's not feeling his best (bit of a runny tum today) he had a million kisses and he purred like a tractor while lying in my arms this morning.
I just hope he can have a quiet loving day and no vet visits (please tum be all right!).  It's amazing to think that 18 years ago today, a weeny little brown swamprat-kitten with closed eyes and teeny little brown ears came into the world and has been a cuddle, love monster ever since.  I've never known a cat anything like him and I know I never will. I sang him all his songs to his head this morning, plus of course happy birthday.
Swampy sez iz gud to be deaf sumtimes  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2888 on: October 15, 2009, 14:45:45 PM »
There was a thread not so long ago asking this? Will see if I can find it.....Positive vibes to you both!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Grr! Cant find it sorry!  :( :hug:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 14:58:16 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2887 on: October 15, 2009, 13:52:17 PM »
poor swampy  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2886 on: October 15, 2009, 13:51:16 PM »
anyone know how long food has to be in the tum before it's digested, so if he vomits I can know that he's digested most if not  all of it? Today he vomited 1 1/2 hours after his food. His moron mother shoved a fortekor down him without doing it properly and he choked and up everything came. Well a lot of brown liquid and the fortekor anyhow.

He's very weak so I had to regive yesterday's puked up steroids at 12 today and now am waiting out 3 hours with bated breath (to be sure he's got the dose in him) before I give him another meal. Luckily right now he's sleeping in the sun but it'll disappear from the bed quite soon. 3rd day in a row he's going to be down on his food intake.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2885 on: October 15, 2009, 13:32:36 PM »
Glad to hear the locum has given you some really good all round advice!  :wow:

Thinking of you and Swampy and wishing you both all the best!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2884 on: October 14, 2009, 23:36:33 PM »
yoghurt will have quite a high water content - it all counts
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2883 on: October 14, 2009, 22:33:13 PM »
I am sure he has access to water all the time cos duritics will make him thirsty.........cant remember if hes on them or not. Kocka used to drink little but splash water every where and seemed to have an obsession with water.

I was interested about the abs and had wondered why they  seem to work for Franta , although he only has 7 injections when he is ill.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2882 on: October 14, 2009, 22:01:16 PM »
I can''t remember why now but at one point i was giving Smartie some extra water in a syringe straight into his mouth and funny boy that he is -he loves to drink it that way sometimes even now  :Crazy:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2881 on: October 14, 2009, 21:52:20 PM »
just done his laurabolin and vit B 12 and hope it's going to help. He had a good purr earlier (but is still miaowing for water, then doesn't drink much) and he highly recommends danone ultra creamy vanilla yoghurt btw!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2880 on: October 14, 2009, 21:47:00 PM »
Glad you had a good chat with your Locum and it went well.
Hope that things improve and Swampy start to feel better again soon :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2879 on: October 14, 2009, 20:15:55 PM »
I went to see the locum to chat with her and I was actually very impressed. She said she loves cats, especially older ones and has a 21 year old cat herself and is giving her 100mls a day sub cuts, so we discussed what to do and what had gone wrong. She is sure the diuretic is making Swampy feel worse and suggests that 1/8th of a 40mg tablet should be enough - a little more if and when I give more sub cuts. She thinks I will have to, as he is deteriorating and 50mls a week isn't really enough. Swampy is not very dehydrated on the skin test, but he's started crying for water when he can't instantly find it so he must be very thirsty. Mind you, he seldom drinks for very long or drinks very much and still does his polite little wees.  I wish I had seen her before starting the sub cuts but that's how it goes.

Anyhow it helped to have a chat and I explained the reasons for certain meds and she seemed to understand that management of the elderly with multiple health problems involves compromising on meds. In an ideal world Swampy wouldn't take anything that hurt his kidneys.  I am going to stop his antibiotics from tonight though as we spoke about how his stomach is battling with them and needs a break.
He's been on them a month and they help his cold tremendously. She also didn't seem phased when I said they helped his vestibular disease  - she said she'd use them to control it too.

I have to give him his laurabolin injection soon so am nervous about that - she didn't seem totally familiar with it but looked up his notes to see the right dose.

thanks again for all the support  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2878 on: October 14, 2009, 19:31:34 PM »
You stick with what works and dont let a locum start messing about!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2877 on: October 14, 2009, 14:49:05 PM »
She's tried (failed) to change his meds, take him off the selgian as it's not great for his CRF. I must try to chat to her later. Swampy vomited 1 1/4 hours after having his vital steroids this morning. She says (via the nurse) that he can't have absorbed any of the dose so I must regive it. To double up would be a bit risky, but this morning was 48 hours since the last dose so not to have steroids would be very risky too. I'm not sure what to do.

Managed to get 2 little meals down him since the vomiting. When he was eating before the vomit, he was swallowing glug glug glug like from his cold so think that was what it was.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2876 on: October 14, 2009, 11:11:26 AM »
definately Kate my mother in law is Italian and lives there, her vet didn't want to neuter her persian "once they are gone they won't grow back"

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2875 on: October 14, 2009, 11:09:25 AM »
The locum vet is Italian and doesn't like cerenia as says it's only been around 2 years. The Americans all use it. Could be the old thing of different countries, different protocols.  Swampy's nausea is increasing, some from his CRF and some from post nasal drip (which gets worse with increasing urea). She wants me to use this ulcer drug instead
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/omeprazole-prilosec/page1.aspx

Does anyone know about this or has ever used it with a CRF cat please? I am always so nervous to use anything new. If it works, it could make sense as his tum has had a lot of antibiotics and his tummy acid isn't good. However am worried that it can cause gas as that is a bit problem. On his X rays, there was a lot of gas in his abdomen.

thanks for the support, it means a lot. I know that I did things wrong, but I also know I did my best and that it wasn't good enough as he needs sub cuts but I can't give him the level he needs. Watching him going downhill now is heartbreaking. My job now is just to keep him knowing how loved he is and as comfy as possible for as long as possible.
 :hug: to you all xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2874 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50:53 AM »
Kate you have never let Swampy down don't ever think that, I take my hat off to you and how you've coped and dealt with this  :hug: :hug:

Lots of vibes for the swampster  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2873 on: October 13, 2009, 20:51:16 PM »
Oh Kate you cant blame yourself, you have done so much for darling Swampy and all I can say is "you should be so proud of yourself!"  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2872 on: October 13, 2009, 20:31:45 PM »
:hug: There is no way in any shape or form you should ever think you've let Swampy down, as you say (and from what I read when Dinah was poorly) it's so difficult to get the dose right with sub cut's.  Glad to hear he's enjoying the October sunshine.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2871 on: October 13, 2009, 17:06:55 PM »
the good is he spent 1 1/2 happy snoring hours on the roof in the sun - wonderful for October.
His tummy gas isn't good though.  He is doing some eye wateringly smelly backfires poor boy. Without the regular sub cuts, his kidneys seem to be producing ever more waste. With them, he gets fluid around his chest and abdomen. I've learnt ( so has the vet) that sub cuts are a lifesaver but it's not as easy as the websites say as you have to get the right dose for each individual cat.
I'll say it again - I don't understand why fortekor works so well on some cats and not at all on others. It's so disappointing that it isn't holding his kidney function steady. That's why the americans use sub cuts not fortekor to treat CRF.  I just so wish I'd got Swampy's fluid dose right from the word go. I feel that my amateur hour efforts let him down and the vets have no experience either.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2870 on: October 13, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »
Aw bless him, do hope the sun will shine on his balcony more often!  :Luv2:

With ref to the new lip licking, I wonder if it is just his way of trying to get himself up for the loo? Strange but seems to coincide so maybe not a worry!  :hug:

Best wishes to you all!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2869 on: October 12, 2009, 10:44:14 AM »
He was a little better yesterday. The sun's out which should hopefully go down well later on this morning for a couple of hours. I don't know if it will be warm enough to take him out.
The diuretics seem to have got him into the habit now of wanting to wee every 2 or 2 1/2 hours even though he's only on 1/4 once daily. This is ok when he is in his own bed and can find the tray easily, but at night from the futon I have to help him find it (he's under the duvet and gets confused). He wants to be under the duvet as it's cold at night now. Plus I think whether or not he purrs, he finds it comforting being next to me and knowing I will help him.
However I am running on empty. I am so exhausted as I have to get up every 2 hours or so all night and can't sleep in the day.  I just lay down to rest and some unsolicited CS call got me up  >:(

The other thing is he's started lip licking (like he's nauseous) when he wants to go to the tray. I don't understand that and it's new. So far thankfully it stops when he's been.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #2868 on: October 11, 2009, 18:27:13 PM »
Hope he's feeling better today!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2867 on: October 11, 2009, 16:09:17 PM »
Looks like its another case of whats good for one thing counteracts another!  :tired:

Hope the walking exercise manage to help his back end out bless!  :wish:

So glad you two are still having loads of together time!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2866 on: October 11, 2009, 13:34:22 PM »
He did have a bit of a better night thanks, but his legs are weak and it is a huge worry. On the plus side of all the extra caring that my little old man now needs is that he thinks it's just lovely to come and sleep in my arms under the duvet.
I am taking him down the passage for a couple of 'walks' a day just to try to keep his muscles working a bit and the vet showed me a couple of stretching exercises (I wish he'd shown me when he told me not to let him walk for 10 days when the fluid was around his heart - that would have been the time to start them).

Also giving him more regular lactulose, about 0.5mls after his meals, just in the hope that he doesn't store up and do a mega poo again as that nearly finished him off as it made him exhausted.  That's the trouble with a/d which the vet warned me about. Much of what he eats is now a/d. The renal foods don't have enough to keep up his strength.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2865 on: October 11, 2009, 08:58:09 AM »
Hope Swampy had a better night last night and that today is an improvement :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:, still sending lots of positive vibes for him
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2864 on: October 11, 2009, 01:55:16 AM »
Sending tons of positive healing vibes to Swampy bless him, and bless you for being his perfect mum!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2863 on: October 10, 2009, 14:23:20 PM »
Poor Swampy - hope he picks up again today -will be sending mega healing vibes for the beautiful boy  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2862 on: October 10, 2009, 13:54:59 PM »
Im sorry hes a had rough night Kate and will send a mega load of positive vibes for Swampy and hope he picks up ,take care of yourself as well Kate :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2861 on: October 10, 2009, 13:52:14 PM »
Swampy had a rough night. He was doing all right until he went for a large poo. Then his back legs became very weak. They were a little better this morning, but he is struggling. If you have any prayers and vibes left over, please send them all to him today.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2860 on: October 10, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »
Hope all goes well with the locum  and that he turns out to be really good and lots of positive calming vibes for you both :hug: :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #2859 on: October 09, 2009, 22:33:16 PM »
 :hug: Fingers crossed the locum will be fab!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2858 on: October 09, 2009, 21:15:01 PM »
Sending positive calming vibes for you all~~~~~ :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2857 on: October 09, 2009, 21:04:53 PM »
He's still got a little bit of fluid on his chest so has to stay on the frusemide, but also has to have 50mls a week or so of sub cuts as he is getting worse with his CRF and is crying for water now - although he doesn't drink that much or wee that much.
My vet is going away now for 2 weeks. A locum will be there. I'm very nervous about it all.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2856 on: October 09, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
Best of luck with Swampy's xray tonight!  :wish:

I hope the giving of the fluids every 4 days or so works out for you both! Thinking of you all!  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2855 on: October 08, 2009, 17:44:51 PM »
The vet's just told me he's going away all next week so there will be a locum, who he says is good, but of course I get so anxious. Swampy is going for his X ray tomorrow evening. He should have had it yesterday but the emergency case cat came in so we didn't do it, so now the poor lamb has to go back. Anyhow we need to see if his chest is clear and adjust the frusemide as his CRF is worsening so the theory is that he needs some sub cuts and hopefully can tolerate 50mls every 4 days or so without it building up in his chest.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2854 on: October 08, 2009, 02:27:34 AM »
if Swampy seems to be doing OK, and enjoying his life, so what if the test figures don't always add up

they sure don't matter to the Swamp monster himself :hug:

I could'nt agree more! Thinking of you both!  :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat