Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404825 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1053 on: October 28, 2008, 20:15:31 PM »
 :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1052 on: October 28, 2008, 19:52:50 PM »
 :hug: I too hope that Swampy stays calmer. It's such a difficult time, my heart goes out to you both.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1051 on: October 28, 2008, 18:00:12 PM »
I read all, of this with great sadness and hope that Swampy will become stable again for a short while even. I can see that you know the situation and that this is the hardest thing in the world for you. Swampy knows how much you care and have always cared and he knows you have never let him down.

All my love and bestest wishes to Swampy, you and Max  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1050 on: October 28, 2008, 17:43:47 PM »
Poor Swamps, will be thinking of you all and sending all the positive energy I can to you  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1049 on: October 28, 2008, 17:27:11 PM »
The vet was very gloomy and I suppose with good reason but I refuse to lose all hope. This evening so far is more like Sunday than yesterday ie gets out of igloo and sits down on the floor, confused and purring.
Pick him up, he's calmer and enjoys that. Put him in kitchen and he circles around to the right so I guide him to the tray to wee. Then circles around for 5 minutes, eventually using the shut lounge door to locate the water bowl. When he's finished though, becomes upset as can't find his way back to the igloo. I guide him back with his little body pulling to the right. Into the igloo and finds Max and starts cleaning his ears.
I will just see how he is later, overnight and most importantly tomorrow.

Vet bounced a meds decision at me though -the jab he was given is a mega powerful steroid. He says that I can decide whether to give Swampy his usual 1 1/2 dose of pred tonight or wait until the morning. I've no idea. Thanks to you all for your loving messages, I will pass them on via littly's head. I hope he stays less manic as I feel then that he is happier, albeit still very confused. xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1048 on: October 28, 2008, 15:57:24 PM »
 :hug: to you all

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1047 on: October 28, 2008, 15:33:55 PM »
Thinking of you and Swampy xxxxx  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1046 on: October 28, 2008, 15:13:22 PM »
My first opportunity to check in on our little friend and I am so very sad to read the posts from you Kate.  I do so hope you have, by now, managed to speak  to or had some contact with your usual vet.  I too hope that Swampy has settled and you do not have to make that awful decision on Thursday.  You don't know what tomorrow might bring for the little fella.  Come on Swamps you have so many people sending you love and get well wishes, We love you Swampy  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1045 on: October 28, 2008, 13:09:55 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1044 on: October 28, 2008, 13:06:51 PM »
 :hug:

Thinking of You and Swampy x

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #1043 on: October 28, 2008, 13:06:02 PM »
Kate, thinking of you and Swampy.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #1042 on: October 28, 2008, 12:27:25 PM »
:grouphug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #1041 on: October 28, 2008, 12:17:07 PM »
My thoughts are with you too.  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1040 on: October 28, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »
Thinking of you Kate and Swampy  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1039 on: October 28, 2008, 12:03:54 PM »

To you and Swampster.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1038 on: October 28, 2008, 11:04:02 AM »
just to let you know we are thinking about you alldaily Kate :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1037 on: October 28, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
The vet rang me just now - the usual one. He says to try some more pred from either tonight or tomorrow morning and that pred can cause them to pick up for a couple of weeks and then deteriorate. Swampy should get calmer by tomorrow. However he thinks that we are probably very close to the end now. If there is no improvement by thursday, we will have to decide then. He thinks Max bit Swamp because he sensed weakness. The vet said that he doesn't think Swampy is suffering but is confused, but that his quality of life is what we must think about.
I took Swampy into the sun in the bedroom and at last and at least he is calm. I'm going to sit with him. I can't help it if Max gets upset if I am upset, Max will be ok.
 :hug:  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:59:15 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1036 on: October 28, 2008, 10:36:31 AM »
well, the male ego can be a fragile thing, but it's unprofessional for no-one to get back to you.  Giving them the benefit of the doubt, morning may be a particularly busy time for them, but I would say if they haven't got back to you by 2 p.m., then it's fine to be making a bit of a fuss!

I suspect Max may be a little spooked by Swampy's behaviour.  It sounds like he's trying to get his old brother back.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1035 on: October 28, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »
no reply, no call either from the locum. I emailed (on the young nurse's suggestion), expressing my wish to hear from the main vet and said why to be honest. So I suppose noses or egos are out of joint.
I may get a call after surgery at 11.30. I think I'd better not just give him the usual dose of pred in case it tips him over the edge. I'm really upset - how often is an animal this ill or dying and what does it cost to pick up a phone for 2 mins?

I've banished Max to the sun spot in the bedroom as this morning he was staring at Swampy and then a short while ago he bit him a few times - not that hard, could have been playing but I think pent-up aggression is more likely as he is a very jealous cat and Swampy's had a lot of attention overnight and this morning. Swamp got a big fright and gave a little yelp, poor wee boy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 10:17:36 AM by swampmaxmum »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1034 on: October 28, 2008, 08:26:59 AM »
Kate, if you're concerned, then I say text your usual vet. Swampy has very specific problems to deal with, and for the locum vet not to have read his notes won't have been at all reassuring to you.   Put your mind at ease by taking whatever steps you feel the need to.   :hug:  If for any reason you have to resort to the locum, then make it quite clear what your concerns are, and ask him to talk through the treatment he gave and his reasoning for it.  The two may not be directly connected, but unless you can talk it through, you'll be anxious and upset and that will communicate itself to Swampy, bless him.

Let us know how you get on.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1033 on: October 28, 2008, 08:12:01 AM »
I'm texting my usual vet, but don't know if he will reply. Swampy is worse this morning, circling all the time that he isn't sitting or lying down. He seemed tired overnight, resting but not sleeping. He ate well at 1 and 5, then I thought he hadn't been to the tray so I took him. He stood in it the first time and purred. The second time he went in and squatted, then stood up, confused. The third time he did wee. Since then he's cried, I've put him in the tray and he's poo'd and then I took him to the water and finally he drank something. Then took him back to the futon where I plan to keep him, with tray visits every few hours.
The locum asked me yesterday 2 things which are replaying in my head "how is his vision?" and "has he ever had any seizures?". I should not have been too polite to say 'haven't you read his notes?!'. He had read what my usual vet had given him last time the circling was bad, and clearly had a different approach as I've said.

I think it is my vet's responsibility as he hired this locum to cover for him so I hope he will reply and advise me - I need to maybe give Swampy his pred steroids this morning to help him, but no idea what to do.
I don't want to speak to the same locum - I'm just off him and find him too young, hair gel type (sorry I am tired, but that is how I feel). I don't have confidence in him. I almost feel like keeping texting until he does call me as this is urgent.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1032 on: October 28, 2008, 07:07:06 AM »
 :hug: wishing Swampy a better day today xx (PS can'tyou ring the vets and tell them how he's been and that you're concerned)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1031 on: October 28, 2008, 07:03:59 AM »
Kate, I hope Swampy has settled a little overnight, because we know this is a very testing time for you.  The uncertainty of knowing whether the vet you normally see with Swampy would have done the same or different is always a worry.  He's an amazingly beautiful and brave cat, and am topping up the healing vibes for you both this morning.   :care: :care: 

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1030 on: October 28, 2008, 02:26:32 AM »
lots of healing vibes and  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: from us all in Lincoln sending straight to Swampy .
Take care and look after each other.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #1029 on: October 28, 2008, 01:41:03 AM »
give swampy a cuddle from me :Luv:

thinking of you both  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1028 on: October 28, 2008, 00:24:50 AM »
Wishing you all the best  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1027 on: October 27, 2008, 23:39:53 PM »
Very very hard and all my thoughts with you and Swampy tonight  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1026 on: October 27, 2008, 23:28:01 PM »
the dexamethasone's given him some fairly unpleasant side effects so far, in that he's weaker and fairly manic. I'm really wondering if it would have been the drug of choice for my usual vet - I think he'd have used the steroid he used last time, or increased the dose of the pred pills to see if that helped first. I googled and this dexa one seems to be for shock and was probably the one he was given first up after his accident (I remember being told short acting, very strong type of steroid). This one lasts 2 - 2 1/2 days in the blood. I also have to give him pred tomorrow morning, which makes me nervous too on top of this. It is just so hard when the vet you trust isn't there. The locum was very young and didn't know that Swampy is blind or had had seizures so wasn't working from his full notes. I hope I haven't made Swampy worse. We have to try to hang on until wednesday.
Sorry again to go on and thanks for being there for Swampy and me  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1025 on: October 27, 2008, 22:36:54 PM »
I feel so sad that he is like this and do hope the injection helps him. Lots of love to the bravest little cat Swampy, tonight  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1024 on: October 27, 2008, 20:56:32 PM »
 :hug: hoping Swampy is much better by the morning

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1023 on: October 27, 2008, 20:10:55 PM »
Sending loads of cuddles and scritches for the lovely Swampy.  I hope he has a good night tonight.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1022 on: October 27, 2008, 19:51:33 PM »
Purrs, headbutts and paws and fingers crossed for Swampy here  :hug: xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1021 on: October 27, 2008, 19:37:19 PM »
He seems weak when he walks now. He had a reasonable meal, but I had to help him to the tray afterwards. I can tell when he wants it (even if he doesn't always realise the first time) as he gets so agitated.
He then clearly wanted the igloo but needed some help to find it. The injection takes 12 hours or so to work so if there is any improvement it should be by the morning. However the vet said no steroids until the morning, which may or may not help. He still has a good purr for me and his dad though, even though he is a bit agitated and hasn't slept much.

OH and I were talking about him and how he's got not a bone of meanness or jealousy in his body and is the gentlest, most loving boy we've ever known all our lives. When he had his freedom, all the other cats loved him - even the grumpy old girl across the way who wouldn't normally let any other cats into her garden - and he made lots of cat friends. And whatever's happened to him, he's always had a purr 30 seconds later. I feel immensely honoured to be Swampy's mum.
We send lots and lots of love and burmese purrs to everyone tonight and keep sending your prayers and vibes please as Swamps needs them now.  :hug: xx  :hug: xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1020 on: October 27, 2008, 19:17:15 PM »
Kate, sending shedloads of good vibes through for Swampy and you, and hoping you have a good evening.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1019 on: October 27, 2008, 14:15:03 PM »
Hope it goes well  :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1018 on: October 27, 2008, 13:05:21 PM »
everything crossed the little fella is helped by his new treatment xx

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #1017 on: October 27, 2008, 12:58:28 PM »
Sending good vibes for your injection sweetie

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #1016 on: October 27, 2008, 12:32:16 PM »
Sending another :grouphug: for you both, hope the injection helps him.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1015 on: October 27, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
Hope the injection today helps, and topping up with some more vibes and  :hug: :hug: :hug: from Sunny Surrey too  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1014 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:18 AM »
More vibes for you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I hope todays injection works

Link to CatChat