Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404777 times)

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1133 on: October 31, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »
I really admire you all and the way you are dealling with this.   :hug: Hugs for all of you

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1132 on: October 31, 2008, 09:40:33 AM »
You are one brave lady with a little fighter.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

(the website I wanted to give you should you ever need it was http://www.sunnyfieldspetcrematorium.co.uk/index.php my friend spoke incrediably highly of them)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1131 on: October 31, 2008, 09:25:29 AM »
thanks everyone  :hug: Swampy was awake all night - turns out I should have been giving him his vivitonin in the early mornings, but started giving it when the vet popped round with it, mid afternoon, and kept doing that. It's apparently too dangerous to give it  twice in 24 hours so it would have meant missing a day. So excuse me if I am very tired.

I have asked the vet more than once. He says that if it was his cat, the decision to pts would have been taken earlier for personal reasons as he cannot devote this kind of time and nursing to his own animal. I asked him when Swampy came out of hospital and he said def no, then. Then when he visited he said you could, or you could nurse 24/7 and see how YOU cope. What he said yesterday was again that he is not sure, that we will be sure and he will back our decision if it's now or if it's in a short while - he does not think Swampy has very long, that's all, as is on a high dose of steroids etc.

I have taken the pts decision twice before, with CRF cats and it was traumatic but the decision took itself. I remember holding my 17 year old Louis in my arms and he looked at me and I knew and asked the vet to come. CRF and cancer type illness, as the vet says, progressively deteriorate to a point where you are sure and the suffering is 100% of the time and it would be totally unkind and selfish to prolong life. The absolute b*stard about neurological illness, especially where there is no MRI scan, is to know what is going on and if there is any chance of stabilising or even improving. The vet says in rare cases you see an animal which is very poorly and does then unexpectedly improve.

Swampy's life is hard; he does suffer stressful walking and inability to find his tray and all that, but that's mixed up with more quiet and even some happy moments. Plus there are still times he can find his water or even his tray. The vet thinks this is because of the uneven nature of whatever lesions there are in his brain. I think the vet is glad he is not having to take this decision to be honest. It is for us to be sure.

We will see how he is over the weekend and then decide about Monday. All we are sure about is it must be because of Swampy's needs, not my own.  Many thanks to everyone again for your support. I don't know what we would do without you all and send lots of love xx  :hug: :hug: sorry if this is a bit incoherent, must go and feed my boys now as they both want something to eat.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1130 on: October 31, 2008, 09:09:49 AM »
Kate I understand your post completely, you feel you need to try and do everything for Swampy.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I hope the sun shines for the little man today

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1129 on: October 31, 2008, 08:56:45 AM »
I usually ask my vet too.  Whatever happens Kate I hope that Swampy has a wonderful weekend with you all.  Hope it's full of sunshine and purrs.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #1128 on: October 31, 2008, 07:51:51 AM »
I also agree with asking the vet, I do that with my vet - she didn't like it at first, but she does now. I do hope you can have a good weekend, and it is kinder to let them go while they still have some dignity than wait and risk something major happen that could make him a lot worse.
Please spay your cat

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1127 on: October 31, 2008, 03:10:00 AM »
Lots of healing vibes and big gentle kisses for the little boy from us all in Lincoln , and  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to all of you.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1126 on: October 30, 2008, 23:13:22 PM »
Sending lots of vibes for a restful night for you both tonight  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1125 on: October 30, 2008, 23:08:30 PM »
I know you love Swampy so much but I just feel his little head is so confused now and his quality of life nearly gone with no chance to get better. Love is a painful thing but maybe you and your Oh have to really consider Swampys quality of life this weekend and make the kindest decision for your little man.

This is the hardest thing to do but is an act of kindness and like Michelle, I would ask your normal vet what he would do if Swampy was his cat.

We are all suffering with you and Swampy and the most wonderful thing in the world would be for him to get better but sadly I think you know that cant happen, even with all the love and care that you are giving him.

I feel your pain  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Have a good rest tonight Swampy  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1124 on: October 30, 2008, 23:00:26 PM »
I do that too, always ask my vet what she would do if it was her pet but I have to agree with Desley on this one it's not a matter of being there to care for him it's what Swampy is going through  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1123 on: October 30, 2008, 22:52:09 PM »
Kate hunny i know there are so many things going round in your head, you and hubby must be so confused about where to go from here but maybe asking your vet what he would do if Swampy was his would help (this is what i do) because he seems to indicate that the time has come but then doesn't actually follow it up with saying its time, which in itself is confusing
you are the most amazing Mummy who has moved hell and earth to make him better and try and keep him comfortable but as you have said his life isnt uncomfortable anymore, which sadly even after all you are doing for him, seems is not going to get any better.
Thinking of you and sending you much love xxx

Give Swampy a big kiss from Me....if theres any room left after all the kisses he has to have from everyone every night lol

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1122 on: October 30, 2008, 22:36:53 PM »
Love, hugs and positive vibes for you and Swampy  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1121 on: October 30, 2008, 21:41:41 PM »
Sending lots of prayers for Swampy , and even more for you. You have a heartbreaking desicion to make - and I know whatever you decide it will only be with Swampys best interests xxx :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #1120 on: October 30, 2008, 21:22:30 PM »
I too wouldnt have tried the tablets, and I think your vet is only partly right - it isn't just about how long you can care for him, but how much Swampy can take when he isn't going to get any better, and you dont want to give him as long as you can and something happen before you felt he was ready. I think you and your husband really need a long chat this weekend
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1119 on: October 30, 2008, 20:50:17 PM »
Kate only you can know what is right for Swampy.  When the time comes you will be sure.  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #1118 on: October 30, 2008, 20:42:06 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1117 on: October 30, 2008, 20:15:50 PM »
No, don't worry, we think about it all the time.  The awful thing is though that Swampy might or could possibly go on like this for quite some time (we only know there are lesions which make him circle and unsteady all the time) and I am able to give him 24/7 'hospice' type care at home - I go out for about 1/2 hour a day when I know he's peed and that he is asleep. The vet preyed on my doubts and fears when he said that I must factor how much I can cope with into the equation as I told him no, I am adamant that the decision must only be based on Swampy's suffering. The thing is though that neuro stuff is so imprecise, it's not like CRF or cancer, or not necessarily so. So this morning I was 100% sure as he was miserable, confused, circling, dizzy and miaowing, weak and clearly suffering for many hours during the night and all morning until he went to sleep. Not so right now - the steroids are at their peak now. The vet says that he thinks Swampy's stress is probably contained to those moments and that cats can tolerate more than people (moot point?). So doubt is still there, although I do accept that his life, even in his best moments, is very limited indeed and not at all easy. He is entirely dependent. I think his being deaf and blind frightens him. I can reassure him but only Max can calm him and nothing can when he's at his worst.

I could not live with myself if I thought that I had had him pts because I had reached the end of my ability to cope. But nor do I want to keep him struggling on because I want to hang on to him for as long as possible. Sorry to go on, hope that you understand. Swampy is terminally ill as it is mega unlikely after all this time that there can be any substantial improvement, but as he has someone to help him, he has managed so far. If I were working full time, the decision would have had to be taken earlier.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1116 on: October 30, 2008, 20:13:10 PM »
I really hope it helps too or it has to be the kindest thing hun :hug: :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1115 on: October 30, 2008, 20:11:23 PM »
Dropping in to wish Swampy the best of nights  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #1114 on: October 30, 2008, 19:37:19 PM »
 :( oh poor swampy ... I hope the pills do work for you's and Swampy's sake. 

Kate please don't hate me for saying this but if there is no improvement after the 2 - 3 days do you think it could be time to consider the other alternative and showing Swampy the final act of kindness?

I'm sorry for asking this question I have umm and ahhed about posting it and I really hope you don't think me insensitive or uncaring because I'm neither of these things  :hug:

I am hoping and praying that the pills do help your boy xxxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1113 on: October 30, 2008, 19:14:11 PM »
The vet rang. He said to try the pills for 2 -3 days at night as if they have any side effects, it could be sleepiness. So far it's 3 hours on and Swampy's circling is still the same. He was right next to the tray, very stressed and circling so fast as needed to poo but couldn't get into it somehow. I had to help. But then he's purring and loving being fussed on the bed or cuddled in my arms.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1112 on: October 30, 2008, 17:27:14 PM »
Personally I wouldnt do this  :(

I hope that you are able to make the right decision for Swampy  cos my heart goes out to him and also to you for all the love and kindness you give him  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1111 on: October 30, 2008, 16:31:37 PM »
Fingers crossed

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1110 on: October 30, 2008, 16:28:28 PM »
this is it. seems to be a risk if have high bp or prone to seizures, but not sure there is much else we can do. I've just given it to him with some k/d and he's back in his igloo with the Max.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/meclizine-bonine-antivert/page1.aspx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1109 on: October 30, 2008, 16:17:26 PM »
I have no idea I'm afraid if our vet was in work today though I'd happily ask him for you but his not!!

But you have to try if you think it might help  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1108 on: October 30, 2008, 15:24:36 PM »
I'm off to get him some Sea Legs tablets (only ones in London by the look of it) for motion sickness as I googled vestibular syndrome and in America they use it (12.5mgs meclizine or Antivert) for cats and dogs - it may not work, it may make him worse, it's a human med and it's entirely at our own risk - but we feel it is worth a try. The vet was googling it just while I was, so is none the wiser as well but says try - Swampy's main problem is giddiness and stumbling. He fell over going to the tray. Please please hope that it helps a bit and doesn't have any side effects. Has anyone else used this before with their cat? I'm so nervous, but think we have to try.  xx

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #1107 on: October 30, 2008, 14:28:56 PM »
Sending more  :hug: and love to you all and special vibes for Swampy.  :hug:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1106 on: October 30, 2008, 12:25:26 PM »
Still thinking of you all and big  :hug: to everyone :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1105 on: October 30, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
Oh Kate this isnt the news we want to hear  :hug:
Hope Swampy gets some sleep today bless him x

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1104 on: October 30, 2008, 11:43:53 AM »
Sending loads of love and hugs to you all, come on Swampy xx  :hug: :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #1103 on: October 30, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »
Lots of prayers and love to you and darling Swampy.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1102 on: October 30, 2008, 11:17:35 AM »
Come on Swampy darling boy I know you must be exhausted with all the fighting you have to do but take 5 and rest up as much as you need.  We are all very worried about you and sending ALL our love and thoughts for your brain to be peaceful and non agitated.  Your mummy is doing everything she can to help you and we all love you so much.
 :hug:Swampy :hug:
 :hug:Kate :hug:
 :hug:Max :hug:
 :hug:OH :hug:

Hope you can speak to your vet and get some help

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #1101 on: October 30, 2008, 11:05:44 AM »
Still sending love, huggles and heaps of positive vibes - your devotion to Swampy should be an inspiration to us all  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1100 on: October 30, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »
thanks everyone, please if you don't mind keep the prayers and vibes coming as my little one has been very poorly since 5am. That wretched circling and dizziness causing him distress. He is in the igloo now with Max after a cuddle. He's weaker today, he enjoyed going up the stairs but had a lot of trouble coming down so I helped him down. I'm so grateful that the sun's out as I held him for a few minutes in the sunshine and got richly rewarded with that lovely purr. I left a message for the vet, who apparently has a very busy day. I need to know if we can keep Swampy going over the weekend with steroids or any other anti vestibular stuff as I think that my husband would like to spend the weekend with him, as long as of course he is no worse or suffering. I'm hoping and praying that the steroids I gave him at 6am will give Swampy a boost a bit later as he was ok at 3am, finding (despite circling) some food and water. So the decision we have taken at the moment (things change so quickly though sometimes) is if the normal vet is on duty monday, which I think he is, we will try to wait for then with palliative care. xx :hug:  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1099 on: October 30, 2008, 09:18:01 AM »
More hugs and vibes to you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

(On the other subject my friend received a lovely, dignified service from the crem she used. I will ask her which one as I can't remember but its her birthday today and I'm a bit reluctant to ask her today but I will find out for you, I believe they might be hertfordshire way as my friend lives in east London.)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #1098 on: October 30, 2008, 08:56:03 AM »
Hope you had a restful night, and that Swampy managed to get some rest as well.

Topping up with the  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: again today xxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1097 on: October 30, 2008, 08:39:11 AM »
Top up hugs for you all:  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1096 on: October 30, 2008, 08:25:45 AM »
Ditto from me.  Hugs to you Swampy Max and your partner  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1095 on: October 30, 2008, 07:49:35 AM »
Kate, am sending a big hug for you and Swampy today.  I'm so pleased he purred his way through the paw print impression.  He's such a wonderful brown boy.

:care: :care:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1094 on: October 29, 2008, 23:14:49 PM »
Sending lots of vibes for the lovely Swampy and hope he has a restful night  :hug: :Luv:

Link to CatChat