Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404757 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1293 on: November 14, 2008, 15:40:07 PM »
that's what I'm thinking. It's a tough call as he seems to do better OFF steroids for a bit, but not for too long or he deteriorates, but I wish I could just stop them to see, but apparently that is dangerous.
20 mins ago Max sat on him and he woke up and they had a 10 second paw bat!!!! I nearly fell over. That's not happened for weeks.  This is the same Swamp that was so ill in the night.

just took him to the tray and he has stopped being able to walk straight and is pulling hard left again. I think I'll do the steroids in an hour or so. I so enjoyed seeing him better while it lasted and expect poor wee lamb did too.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 15:51:03 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1292 on: November 14, 2008, 11:46:13 AM »
Just an idea and don't know if you have already thought about it (u probably have as you are thinking of changing it) but maybe he is worse at night because the steroids from the morning are wearing off so I think its a great idea to change him to having them in the evening.  I really admire you and the way you are coping I hope you will find the correct medication and dosage soon  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1291 on: November 14, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »
yes he is always worse at night. He's either very alert but quite purry, or terrible (occasionally) like last night. I'm tempted to try the steroids every other day at the current dose but don't want to experiment too much while OH is going to be away and I will have 6 nights without sleep it seems. The better days or better part of days could be a coincidence, but this is the 3rd one he's had. Wish I could sleep during the day but I just can't.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1290 on: November 14, 2008, 11:12:30 AM »
How strange if only you knew why he was so much better!!  Glad you are having a good morning with him, is he allways worse at night?  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1289 on: November 14, 2008, 11:06:26 AM »
I'm totally baffled; this is so weird. We got no sleep cos Swampy paced in a manic way all night from 12 to after 4am. I couldn't get him to let me pick him up even. Nothing calmed him, not even meals (he had 2). Then this morning I didn't give him steroids (trying to move to this eve) and just gave vivitonin, antibiotic and fortekor and he is amazing. He is walking in straight lines, eating, purring, finding his tray and water, having a love in my arms etc - a different cat.
He got temporarily better last time we cut the steroids for a day - but then we lowered the dose and the next night he deteriorated badly. Gives a whole new meaning to 'rollercoaster' to see him so different just a few hours apart. I just have no idea what to do - and can't leave him to wander madly at night in case he can't find the tray as with his infection he must pee. Have emailed the vet but don't think he'll know why this is happening either.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1288 on: November 14, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »
Just popping ion to top up the healing vibes  - I hope you all had a peaceful night.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1287 on: November 14, 2008, 07:28:09 AM »
Hope you all had a quiet night.  I am away this weekend so wont have internet access, hope you have a stress free time and will be thinking of you  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1286 on: November 13, 2008, 19:44:42 PM »
Ditto  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1285 on: November 13, 2008, 19:37:03 PM »
Heres hoping he has a more restful night tonight xx :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1284 on: November 13, 2008, 19:12:20 PM »
thanks  :hug:  I think I may just give Swampy his steroids tomorrow mid or late afternoon, instead of at 6am - tbc when I see how he is I suppose. He and Max had a lovely grooming snog and he's eaten well, but he can't be feeling too great (apart from the circling problem) and my guess is the antibiotics aren't going to make him feel very wonderful until they start to work either. I was going to give him a little lick of a yoghurt pot lid but someone said that it's pointless until after the course of antibios as the drugs will just kill the good bacteria from the yoghurt (?). I was looking at my diary and he did seem to have marginally better nights with the steroid dose in the evenings so I am keen to try that if possible for my own sake - if he'd sleep until 4 or so, I could get a little sleep. Anyhow I'm hoping he doesn't need to pee every hour tonight again - very weird that it's a manageable 3 or 3 1/2 hours during the day but more frequent at night. The steroids are given at 6am and he gets lousy from 1am the next night - pacing and restlessness would be easier to handle during daylight.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1283 on: November 13, 2008, 17:23:36 PM »
Poor Swampy and poor you. I hope he turns the corner quickly.  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1282 on: November 13, 2008, 15:35:01 PM »
 :get well:  Poor Swampy and poor you.  Wj=hat alot to deal with all in one go, I hope things get better for you all  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1281 on: November 13, 2008, 15:18:04 PM »
Poor swamps  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1280 on: November 13, 2008, 15:15:48 PM »
Poor Swamps as if he hasn't enough to contend with .  Hope he is feeling better very soon :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1279 on: November 13, 2008, 14:08:40 PM »
The vet rang. Swampy has granular casts in his urine (he did explain but it went over my head) and blood and some protein so it looks like a kidney infection. He still thinks to go with the antibiotics which take about 3 days to work if they are going to. Plus up the fortekor to a whole tablet from tomorrow. He thinks that the steroids or all the meds he's had recently have possibly made his kidneys deteriorate as his CRF was moderate when he had his last bloods on 3 Sept. He can't tell exactly where the infection is but still thinks the most likely cause is an infection. Swampy had another good drink which is unusual for him - I'm taking the water to him after he's eaten and just trying to keep him warm and quiet. I'm a bit disappointed that it takes as long as 3 days for him to possibly feel better.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1278 on: November 13, 2008, 13:34:30 PM »
Also sending loving vibes to Swampy.   :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1277 on: November 13, 2008, 13:15:49 PM »
Not sure about pills but sending big hugs and hope they kick in soon

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #1276 on: November 13, 2008, 13:08:20 PM »
MANY HUGS to Swampy  :hug: xxxxxxxxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #1275 on: November 13, 2008, 13:00:49 PM »
*hugs* for Swampy. Poor little thing.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1274 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:48 PM »
He's got blood in his urine so he's on antibiotics now. I just gave him 2 Noroclav, then he has 1 tonight and 2 a day from tomorrow. I asked the vet if he needed to see him, or if he thought this was too far and he said no, he's eating and cleaning himself and he thinks it is worth a go and may make him feel better. Apparently it's likely to be caused by the steroids. On them, he told me to move the dose to suit myself as a single day probably won't make a huge difference, although last weekend missing one day was a problem. The vet is doing a more detailed urinanalysis later and says he will call me when he can. I knew something was wrong. No sugar in his urine. Vet said to keep giving him k/d or the senior pate, nothing with too much protein. I hope and pray little Swampy is more comfortable later on. Not sure how fast the pills get to work - does anyone know?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1273 on: November 13, 2008, 11:57:29 AM »
Keep calm - best to get it tested.  Try shifting the steroids slowly and hour or two later each day.  That might work without disrupting him, check with your vet.  You are seeing patterns to his behaviour which is a good thing I think;.  Let us know how you get on with the vet.  Big hugs to you all

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1272 on: November 13, 2008, 10:36:15 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:

Good luck at the vets

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1271 on: November 13, 2008, 10:09:44 AM »
I'm in a state of nerves (more than usual) this morning as Swampy peed 4 times between 11.30pm and 6am and is eating better and drinking quite a lot, so the vet wants to test his urine for sugar - high dose steroids for a longish time can cause diabetes. I'm going down there just after 11 because the nurse said she'll try to let me see him to chat face to face. That's a lot better when you're tired. Before last night I wanted to talk to him anyhow as was checking the NOAH meds compendium and it def does say it's best to give steroids at night to a cat, because of the peak cortisol levels it helps with their adrenal function. If that goes all wrong they get abnormally stressed. Swampy gets upset now if he wants a drink, food or tray and as soon as he's got what he wants, he relaxes. I have no idea how we'd switch him to nights again without a deterioration.
I'm just trying to take deep breaths. Will post later when I know what he says.  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1270 on: November 13, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »
Hope all was good last night and you all have a restful day xx

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1269 on: November 12, 2008, 21:33:47 PM »
Hope you both get some good sleep.  It's horrible being so tired but still being on alert for every little noise.  Sounds like Swamp is doing ok though  :Luv:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #1268 on: November 12, 2008, 21:21:38 PM »
Night Night Swampy boy - hope you have nice pleep - and have a lovely morning tomorrow xxxxxxxxx many hugs to you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1267 on: November 12, 2008, 20:30:15 PM »
Kate please don't feel alone when your OH is away we are all here for you to lean on if needs be.  Hope you all have a restful night. :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1266 on: November 12, 2008, 19:14:28 PM »
Yes I think you are right about taking it one day at a time  :hug: don't forget to take care of yourself too  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1265 on: November 12, 2008, 10:37:05 AM »
 :blow kiss: for the messages. OH is studying so did the night last night in here which gave me a few hours again. OH sleeps easily so he snored from 9 -12, then worked until 2.30, then slept with a Swamp loo interruption until about 6. I'll be back 'on' tonight though until maybe friday and of course all next week while he is away. I can only fall asleep, then not get back to sleep once I'm woken, so usually end up with an hour or at best as the only definite pattern is that Swamp gets up in the very early hours for a wander and pee. OH tried to ignore him he says but Swampy was making unhappy noises so seems now to expect to be rescued poor lamb.

Swampy walked in a straight line for 5 mins last night, just got up and went to the tray at 11.30 to poo - then once done, started circling again. It really is most odd. He's still circling and his eyes are darting around but he ate better this morning at least. And the sun is out. OH says when he was studying he took him to the desk with him and he sat with him too. I don't know what to do or make of it all other than the one day at a time rule. I am very nervous though about next week - sunday to friday night is a long time in Swampy's life.

big hugs to you all, hope the sun is out everywhere making for happy little furries and their slaves xx  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1264 on: November 12, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
Morning to you all.  Hope you had a good night and wishes for a calm day   :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #1263 on: November 11, 2008, 21:49:09 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1262 on: November 11, 2008, 21:43:56 PM »
Hope the lovely boy had a great day and hope you all have a restful night  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1261 on: November 11, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
Come on Swampy we are all waiting to hear that you have perked up.  Special had butt for Max, glad you managed some sleep :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1260 on: November 11, 2008, 09:39:10 AM »
Max is fine - he's getting ever fatter from mopping up the leftovers and had a good cuddle this morning after a 5 minute yowl. He has an awful voice.

Swampy's not so good. He didn't eat very much this morning. OH slept some of the night in here so I got 3 hours. It was hard to get more as I'm sort of hyper now from too long without sleep so you forget how. Or can't relax enough. I hope he will eat more later and we'll see some improvement, even small. mega hugs to everyone  :hug: xx

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #1259 on: November 11, 2008, 09:02:10 AM »
Awww poor max as well as swamps and you too.

:hug: :hug: :hug: for you all

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1258 on: November 11, 2008, 07:19:39 AM »
Morning Kate.  Sorry to hear Max is feeling a little left out.  Sending a special hug for him  :hug:, and topping up the cuddles for you and swampy.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1257 on: November 10, 2008, 22:53:24 PM »
Yes Kate, you definitely need to get some sleep, you need to keep your strength up for Swampy - hoping for a restful night for you.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1256 on: November 10, 2008, 17:45:18 PM »
You don't need to thank us Kate we all care about little Swampy and want him to do well.  You must try and get some sleep or else you will be too ill to look after him and then where would he be.  Special big hugs to you all and hope Max isn't too mad.  :hug: I may not be online again today so if not wish you all a peaceful and sleepy night

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1255 on: November 10, 2008, 17:41:18 PM »
thanks to everyone for your support xx as ever it's so vital to me and to little Swamp  :hug:
trouble is that I need sleep to stay strong and calm and take correct decisions that I am 100% sure about.  I am a terrible sleeper at the best of times and can't sleep during the day and am on 'nights' it seems with Swampa, whose worst times are 1.30 - 6am it seems. I hope and pray that he will be better by wednesday.
I am no longer even sleepy, seem to have got beyond that after so little sleep for so long so I just rest and because I'm not working at least I can do that. But Swampy slept for 3 hours this afternoon at last and is a bit happier on the futon or igloo but is still with a left head tilt and circling left that's mighty strong.  I am going to try to get OH to sleep in here tonight even though he sleeps so soundly that Swampy may not get the attention he needs, but I think I must try to get 3 hours sleep as am feeling a bit odd despite resting all day and it is hard to stay calm and rational. The vet suggested a little valium for Swampy at night but I think that may complicate any healing in his head (?) - he said a sub dose. The valerian hasn't or isn't working. Max is becoming quite annoyed at the lack of attention he's getting compared to Swampy and is now refusing to eat his wet food if it's not hand held for him too (little devil).
thanks again for just being there for us xx

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1254 on: November 10, 2008, 14:33:22 PM »
 :hug: for all of you hope Swampy settles soon x

Link to CatChat