Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404748 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1453 on: November 30, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »
It is so very hard to face life without them, but the decision has to be made for them, not us, and even if he fights back now, how long will he have, and what quality? This is what I had to think with PEbbles, as her issues were getting more frequent and each one was worse, and I couldnt' have lived with myself if I had pushed her her to get through her last battle, but then the next one was so much worse - we had no idea what was causing it, like you dont, which makes it harder, but I couldnt see her keep suffering because I wanted to keep her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1452 on: November 30, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »
Morning how's our favourite boy been overnight?  Settled I hope.  Sending positive thoughts for a calm day  :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #1451 on: November 29, 2008, 23:24:57 PM »
Sorry to hear Swampy is not doing well.

Sending big hugs to you all and calming vibes to Swampy.  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1450 on: November 29, 2008, 23:00:51 PM »
Kate, just wishing you and Swampy the best - whatever that is for you  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1449 on: November 29, 2008, 22:44:03 PM »
Big  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you all there and all the get well vibes in the world for Swampy - hope he has a better day tomorrow .
Hope you all have a restful night .

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1448 on: November 29, 2008, 22:14:35 PM »
Just popped back to wish you a peaceful night.  Hugs for you all, come on Swampy boy. :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1447 on: November 29, 2008, 20:29:05 PM »
:hug: thanks. I'm not doing too well, just not sure how many more times he can fight back. Spent most of the afternoon watching my little brown ears sleep and not too good in stopping the tears. I know life's unfair but these neuro illnesses are just so cruel, as he was so good yesterday and is such a sad little man today it breaks my heart and I just don't know how I am going to cope without him. He's always been there for me, through some very difficult times, and brought me through with his love and the terribly deep bond we have. Sorry, but I know that on here you understand. On here I'm not alone in building my life and decisions around a overwhelmingly loved little one, which in the 'real ' world people just don't understand.

Kate i think we have all been there, wondering how on earth we will cope without one of our babies  :hug:

Definitely. You have to recognise you loved them and hopefully made their life as happy as it could possibly have been while they were with you. I still miss my bridge babies and always will. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1446 on: November 29, 2008, 20:07:00 PM »
Best wishes for you and Swampy, its never an easy decision, George had neuro problems so i understand how hard it is with them seeming ok one day and not the next   :hug: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1445 on: November 29, 2008, 20:00:01 PM »
:hug: thanks. I'm not doing too well, just not sure how many more times he can fight back. Spent most of the afternoon watching my little brown ears sleep and not too good in stopping the tears. I know life's unfair but these neuro illnesses are just so cruel, as he was so good yesterday and is such a sad little man today it breaks my heart and I just don't know how I am going to cope without him. He's always been there for me, through some very difficult times, and brought me through with his love and the terribly deep bond we have. Sorry, but I know that on here you understand. On here I'm not alone in building my life and decisions around a overwhelmingly loved little one, which in the 'real ' world people just don't understand.

Kate i think we have all been there, wondering how on earth we will cope without one of our babies  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1444 on: November 29, 2008, 19:41:04 PM »
Oh Kate  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #1443 on: November 29, 2008, 19:30:36 PM »
 :hug:

Hope things improve.

We are all therefore you no matter what. As a burmese owner I know just how special these little terrors are.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1442 on: November 29, 2008, 19:21:03 PM »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1441 on: November 29, 2008, 18:50:28 PM »
Praying that Swampys suffering ends soon
Big kiss for the brave boy xx

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #1440 on: November 29, 2008, 18:40:57 PM »
 :hug: to the both of you.

Come on Swamp we're all here for you and sending you hope.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1439 on: November 29, 2008, 17:22:16 PM »
Poor poor Swampy, what is going on with him.  Come on Swamps your aunty Chrissie is sending you all positive thoughts and hugs and everything she can think of to help you.   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1438 on: November 29, 2008, 15:37:10 PM »
It's heartbreaking to see how bad he is today, after being so much better as recently as yesterday. I just had to help him and carry him to the tray and gently hold him as he's wobbly and if he walks, the circles are so tight that he loses his balance. His head is going side to side and he is so dizzy. He can't stay like this, but given what's happened before, we have to give him a few days and try things to see if anything helps. I know I keep asking as it's one crisis, then it eases a bit, then another one, but please do send your prayers and vibes to Swampy this weekend. xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1437 on: November 29, 2008, 13:50:39 PM »
he's back on antibiotics just in case. His white count is a bit up (it usually is though because he has chronic herpes) but as he was on antibiotics when the sample was taken and has deteriorated, vet sees no harm in another week of them. His CRF is the same  - moderate - urea 15.8 and creatinine 273 but phosphorus still normal; but he is anaemic so I have to give him the laurabolin anabolic steroid injection first thing on monday am. Vet thinks we should wait until then in case of unforeseen neuro side effects a few hours afterwards. His urine SG is still 1.014, unchanged so Fortekor isn't giving him better readings, but they are stable from the last test in october.
So the vet thinks what is happening is hard to say why stuff, neuro and so we just hope and pray that Swampy's brain can adjust to 'better' settings again asap. I had to put him in the tray a while ago and his head was going all over the place and he was a bit wobbly while he crouched. It's so hard not to show him how upset I get when I see him like that. Anyhow the Zylkene has (I hope) allowed him a few restful hours in the igloo.
 :blow kiss: :grouphug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1436 on: November 29, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »
Hope the vet can help, sending positive vibes  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1435 on: November 29, 2008, 10:32:05 AM »
Something's happened in the night as he started circling really badly in the other direction (left) again. I rang the vets and hope to speak to him at lunchtime with the results. We have to try something to help him, as he was even circling this morning on the futon and couldn't get off it, let alone find his tray. He was so good yesterday, it's just such a rollercoaster and so unpredictable. What I do know is that it's not just 'a bad day' with tomorrow better (the vet thinks a bit like this); I know we need some kind of intervention - more antibiotics, painkiller, something - to help stabilise him if he's this bad, which he has been before and had it turned around. Please send best vibes for something to help him. Vet will probably ring me around 1pm I think after his surgery.  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1434 on: November 29, 2008, 10:30:44 AM »
Hope he managed to settle and you all got some sleep.  Hope, too that  you have a restful and calm day and get your results  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1433 on: November 28, 2008, 20:56:26 PM »
have to wait for tomorrow for the results. Swampy was fine up until early evening, since when he's been pacing a lot and unable to relax and just sleep. Hope he doesn't do that all night - he must be very tired by now.
good night to all xx  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #1432 on: November 28, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »
Sending lots more hugs for Swampy today - glad he is having a good day! ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1431 on: November 28, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »
That sounds good news.  Hope he has a good day and you get the results soon.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1430 on: November 28, 2008, 11:06:42 AM »
Suppose I am my own worst enemy as I didn't sleep - worrying. Swampy didn't get me up but during the night he started walking straight again and he found everything including walking up 5 stairs to locate Max's 'hidden' dry food (nasty mark on carpet now). He had his last antibiotic yesterday morning, so possibly they helped him at first for 6 days, then didn't or made him feel bad and now he's off, there's a 'good' spike as well. Of course not sure how long it will last but at least seeing him stride quite fast across the lounge in the night was just great.
Vet will call when he has the results.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1429 on: November 28, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »
Morning hope you have all had a quiet night  :hug:  I agree with Gillian you will be fine with the injection once you have done it a few times.  When I was working at the rescue I had to inject a diabetic cat and I have a massive fear of needles.  I was terrified the first time I did it but it got so much easier  :hug:  Hoping you get the results back quickly so you get some answers.  Good luck for a peaceful day today  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1428 on: November 28, 2008, 07:30:52 AM »
Good morning to the Swampy camp.  Hope you all had a good night and things are good for you today  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1427 on: November 27, 2008, 18:57:52 PM »
I feel for you Kate when is it all going to stop I wonder?  Poor Swamps one thing after another.  Hope the test results get to the bottom of it and it is something easily rectified.  Hope too that you have a restful night as I am sure you all need it after last night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1426 on: November 27, 2008, 14:37:03 PM »
Possibly tonight if the lab isn't at all busy, probably tomorrow night or else saturday morning. I just really want to know by the weekend.  Swampy is noticeably weaker than a week ago and as his urine test isn't good and he was already a bit anaemic before all this saga, I am sure he is very anaemic and am stressing like crazy. The sub Q injection will have to be fine. The liquid (laurabolin, an anabolic steroid) is thick like honey though so the needle is not the thinnest.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1425 on: November 27, 2008, 14:26:54 PM »
If Swampy is anaemic, I have to give him a sub Q injection - he showed me how (nervous??? me?????!!!!) and I'll have to manage.

You'll be fine, its a bit nerve wracking the first time you do it but it gets easier. I used to give Suzie subQ fluids every day, scarey at first, but soon got into the swing.  :hug: When will you get the test results?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1424 on: November 27, 2008, 13:58:57 PM »
can't remember now which thread was also discussing Zylkene (for felines, not their mums!) and prices - I just found it cheaper in packets of 10 as I don't want to order 100 as am still on a trial basis - they seem only to come in 10s or 100s. Hope it's ok to post - if not, please remove it as no harm intended, just trying to save a bit of cash. http://www.vets-drugs-direct.com/shop/search.asp.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1423 on: November 27, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »
Of course you do and there is no reason not to hope at the moment.  Try and have a nice relaxing day - dunno about the Zylkene  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1422 on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »
 :hug:  I know I must try; it's just harder on no sleep really. It's not as if I don't know that he's very ill, but you always hope against hope don't you that the tests won't be too bad or it will be treatable.
Silly old brebis off to make 5th cup of tea of the day xx  :hug: to you. (don't suppose Zyklene works on old sheep does it?!)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1421 on: November 27, 2008, 11:47:42 AM »
We all love and care about Swampy on here.  Sorry you had a rough night.  Hope he calms and settles. Try not to stress too much (difficult I know) as he will pick up on your vibes.   :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1420 on: November 27, 2008, 11:39:34 AM »
I'm a bit bleary eyed today, only about 1 hour's sleep. Swampy was up at 3 and a bit agitated and nervy including this morning, so circling more than yesterday. Harder to get a purr than normal and grumpy when I gave him his tablets. Possibly the vit B injection's effect. I'm nervy too, very worried about those test results, was all going through my head last night. He's now sleeping in the igloo, he came out but I put him back and he settled again. Thanks again for caring xx

Just spoke to one of the nurses. they are going to run a toxoplasmosis test (long shot but it can cause brain problems) with the others. She said that 'some of his urine tests were quite high' which is not good, but he wants to wait for the blood tests to come back before giving me the whole picture of just how bad it all is.
Don't have to tell you how nervous I am.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:47:52 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1419 on: November 27, 2008, 07:58:44 AM »
Good morning Swampy camp hope you all had a restful night and enjoy a calm day :hug:

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1418 on: November 27, 2008, 07:43:04 AM »
Glad the vet came and managed to get all he needed for tests  :hug: At least you should be able to get some answers when the results come back and he can be treated for whatever they find  :hug:  Massive hugs for you all and hope you have had a good night. Hope you have a nice day together and Swampy isn't circling too much  :hug:

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #1417 on: November 26, 2008, 15:17:19 PM »
*hugs* for Swampy.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1416 on: November 26, 2008, 14:15:39 PM »
Good boy Swamps.  Glad to hear he has done so well.  Fingers, toes, eyes and everything crossed for good results.  Have a lovely day all of you (well as lovely as is possible)  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1415 on: November 26, 2008, 13:24:48 PM »
The vet just came around for a good visit. He followed my suggestion and took blood easily from Swampy's neck on the futon. Swampy didn't see him coming and was so much more relaxed than being put on a table. The vet got a wee sample out of him too. He thinks Swampy is probably anaemic and is worried about his kidneys but apart from that he now thinks it's brain stem lesions and agrees that we must keep him calm.
So I have a nervous couple of days to wait for the results as the courier has already been today so it will get to the lab tomorrow. (aka let's see if Fortekor works or not....).
If Swampy is anaemic, I have to give him a sub Q injection - he showed me how (nervous??? me?????!!!!) and I'll have to manage. He also says he's emailed the insurance company and so we are waiting to hear back.

Little one wouldn't eat much just now as is recovering from the assault, but I hope he'll eat better later on. He was really quite good as he managed back from the tray via the futon to his igloo quite easily. Each time the vet visits he doesn't circle much, so I told the vet to come around every day!
I'm doing deep breathing on the test results. He got enough for everything to be tested this time.

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1414 on: November 26, 2008, 12:12:46 PM »
Things sound a little better today I glad x  Hope you all have a calm afternoon and night  :hug:

Link to CatChat