Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404461 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1533 on: December 06, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »
Yay heres hoping a peaceful night was had by all. :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1532 on: December 06, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
WTG Swamps.  xxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1531 on: December 05, 2008, 22:26:18 PM »
I'll trot down to the health shop tomorrow for some SEB. Swampy went down the passage tonight ( a guided tour as he was a bit muddled) and he found his old bed next to the radiator - in he went and there's no shifting him. Max has joined him. It's a bit more spacious than the igloo so I may move them and bed into the lounge for tonight!
good night and lots of love to all and furries tonight; keep warm everyone  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1530 on: December 05, 2008, 22:08:39 PM »
Just popping on to say goodnight God Bless to all in the Swampy camp  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1529 on: December 05, 2008, 22:00:30 PM »
I know with my meds, I have to allow 2 hours for them to absorb before taking other things. Not sure if it's the same for cats but would have thought that would be fine.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1528 on: December 05, 2008, 16:30:40 PM »
The vet says it could be the anabolic steroid and hopefully he will feel better on his own, but I can try SEB just give it a few hours (he's not sure how many) away from any other meds. How many hours is a good idea?

He said I could withhold food if Swampy's not hungry, but it's a problem if he's not drinking as then I'd have to syringe water down him, which would stress him out. I can see why vets are on the immigration exempt list in England -  the locum situation is stressing us out - he had trouble finding one, he doesn't know any of them; the first one is some retired vet from somewhere up the north of England, who may or may not do things the same way, then other locums for short spells each; my vet allows me to do a lot and to contact him by text and email, and we have the utmost faith in him. We're starting to think that this is a real issue as Swampy needs such constant support and hands on treatment. It may also be his time and to have a stranger do that who may not be sympathetic is very worrying. On Monday we've decided I am going to chat to another local vet, who is very kind - a bit further away - to ask about just that. I can't just assume that Swampy can keep going until after 7 January. OH has a final exam next week and we are not able to discuss things while he's studying, but I know he's pretty concerned too.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1527 on: December 05, 2008, 13:24:46 PM »
Mark may be right about the absorption thing, but I do believe SEB works (for both constipation and diarrhea). I wouldnt bother with the yogurt, as you say it won't be effective whilst he's still taking antibiotics, usually recommended to start probiotic after course of antibiotics finished.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1526 on: December 05, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
thanks for the help with that, Mark.  Is there anything else that helps tums settle? I'm just giving yoghurt but not sure it's really doing any good. After he ate a bit of green plant (spider plant thing), he managed to find Max's dry stuff in the kitchen and helped himself to a few -he can't eat much of it anyhow, finds it hard to pick up so sprays it around the bowl more than eats it, but it was a good sign at least.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #1525 on: December 05, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »
I would be a bit wary with SEB as it creates a mucous and may hamper absorption of other things given orally. I asked vet about it for Clapton once and he said it came under the "harmless" category but didn't think it did anything.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1524 on: December 05, 2008, 10:21:04 AM »
morning everyone  :hug:
Gillian, that was my thinking (milk based) so I've asked the vets to call Schering as the calming effects do help a bit I think. Swampy's tum isn't great and that's causing him to circle a bit back to the right again. I'm sure that it's from his tum not feeling quite right - his poo this am was less toxic and more normal coloured than last night (sorry! but yesterdays were lighter for some reason). He's also been for a little wander down the passage and had a bite of green plant, both up on the enjoyment scale. After doing those, he circled less and found his water more easily. Shows how important it is to keep him calm and happy.

But I need to help his tum. I'm giving a little yoghurt but suppose the antibiotics just nuke it. I thought of slippery elm bark and we have a german health shop not too far from here I can go to today, but I've read that SEB can help constipation - I certainly didn't want to make him go even more! My vet's not a big fan of SEB but is not hostile to herbal or homeopathic, just says he doesn't know too much about them or what to use and how much.   :hug: xx to you, thanks for pulling for Swampy.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #1523 on: December 05, 2008, 08:39:06 AM »
just  sending Swampy lots of love and kiss' for a lovey restful day  :hug: :hug: Have a good one handsome lad xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1522 on: December 05, 2008, 07:15:01 AM »
Topping up Swampy cuddles for today from me and Paddy.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1521 on: December 05, 2008, 06:50:15 AM »
Doseage is 1 capsule or cats up to 5kg and two for cats over that weight so depending on Swamps weight I wouldn't give him more than the advised dose until speaking to your vet.  Hope he settled and had a good night.  and that your day is calm  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #1520 on: December 04, 2008, 23:00:17 PM »
But it's not a drug, but a supplement but suppose it could upset his tum? thanks if anyone knows.

I suppose it could upset his tum - Zylkene is made from a protein found in milk, so I don't know whether thats significant or not.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1519 on: December 04, 2008, 18:00:26 PM »
He somehow found Max's dry again and had a nibble, so must be feeling a bit better (or steroids working). But does anyone know if it is safe to give more than 1 capsule Zylkene a day as I'd like to add another 1/2 to his food tonight as he's done a bit of right hand circling, which I need to try to stop getting worse (stress related). The product's a new one on the vet and Schering are closed until tomorrow. Swampy weighs somewhere between 4.5kgs and 5kgs; normal dose is 1 capsule as per the internet blurb. But it's not a drug, but a supplement but suppose it could upset his tum? thanks if anyone knows.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1518 on: December 04, 2008, 15:19:56 PM »
thanks  :hug:  Actually the vet won't let him have the RC unless nothing else goes in at all as it's high in phosphorus and he's worried by the kidneys/bit of blood in urine, but if things go downhill I think the vet may have some in stock. I have a whole tray of i/d kept from before they changed the formula 'just in case' which now of course he's not used to so no longer likes! He's got terribly conservative, sticking to his routines. What I have got is diarsanyl to gum him up if things get runny - don't want to do that unless I have to either as his tum feels a bit hard today. He ate 2 teaspoons of k/d and one of Max's turkey yuk (smelly) at lunchtime and has had a wander, so I hope that he'll pick up later with no more tum explosions. Hottie topped up and re-iglooed now and I can hear soft snores. Max's tum's the pillow today xx  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #1517 on: December 04, 2008, 13:18:53 PM »
Have you got any RC sensitive wet food?  It's a good standby when tummies are off.  Poor boy.  Sometimes the meds work against each other in terms of tolerance.  Hope it settles down soon.  Big hug to Swampy and big hug to his family too xxxx

Was gonig to say RC sensitivity control - Zebedee had this when he had a dodgy tum when he was a kitten.

FABULOUS photo of the two of them   :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:. Max's face on the other photo ;D

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1516 on: December 04, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »
Poor swamps, hope is back on his food soon

:hug: :hug: :hug: to you all

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #1515 on: December 04, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »
Oh poor Swampy , hope his tummy feels better soon. :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1514 on: December 04, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
Have you got any RC sensitive wet food?  It's a good standby when tummies are off.  Poor boy.  Sometimes the meds work against each other in terms of tolerance.  Hope it settles down soon.  Big hug to Swampy and big hug to his family too xxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1513 on: December 04, 2008, 11:21:16 AM »
Swamp's tum's not too good today. He did an unexpected nasty this morning early and is off his food. The vet's told me to give him bland food, but he will only eat k/d or a bit of senior turkey pate - he had a few licks at the i/d and went 'no'. I hope I'm doing the right thing - I've just let him eat a little of what he WILL eat (he's not eaten more than a few teaspoons anyhow today)?  I don't know what's brought this on, as last night he pooed a mega one (sorry folks), so this morning's one was an indicator that his tum's not well - prob pill related but he's been on the same pills for a while now.
He won't eat chicken or boiled fish, egg etc either. I have to try to get something down him after his pills so didn't want to leave him with no food at all, but he's now had the last lot until tonight. He's supposed to have glucosamine (for his cystitis) in his food this afternoon too, so that may be in a gelatine capsule as well if he won't eat, poor wee boy.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1512 on: December 04, 2008, 08:03:38 AM »
Good morning to you all - hope your night was good and that your day will be too. :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #1511 on: December 03, 2008, 22:04:39 PM »
Oh they are both absolutely gorgeous.......and looking at that photo at the two of them together I can truly see WHY you have fought so long and so hard to keep Swampy with his buddy. :Luv2:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1510 on: December 03, 2008, 21:51:31 PM »
Love the expression on Max's face.  Positive thoughts for a peaceful and warm night for you all  :hug:

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #1509 on: December 03, 2008, 21:49:51 PM »
both gorgeous boys  :Luv:  love that purr...   :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1508 on: December 03, 2008, 21:47:30 PM »
Such a wonderful purr.  Glad that things seem to have settled a little again.  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1507 on: December 03, 2008, 20:08:06 PM »
I havent been here for months, i am so sorry for what hapeened to Swampy.

Sending you lots of  :hug:

Their picture together looks  :Luv: :Luv2:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1506 on: December 03, 2008, 18:35:04 PM »
:)  Max is feeling left out - he's a jealous wee boy and Swampy is of course getting so much attention with his battle. I took this one of our Max recently; he is quite bonkers sometimes (when awake: he is 15 and sleeps most of the time). I think he had just seen something on the telly he'd reacted to. Swampy's thread, but here's his little bro' too. Swamp has just de-iglooed so must go and see what he wants.  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1505 on: December 03, 2008, 17:26:55 PM »
I have gone all warm inside sigh

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1504 on: December 03, 2008, 16:45:50 PM »
yes, they either lie yinyang or Swampy uses Max's (ahem) ample tum for a pillow. As for vids, which take soooo long to upload, here's a short one of my littly (bald tummied vampire) to turn up the speakers for as well. Taken earlier today on the futon.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 16:47:41 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #1503 on: December 03, 2008, 16:07:50 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: what a lovely photo ying and yang
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1502 on: December 03, 2008, 16:04:23 PM »
not the greatest photo, but here are the 2 of them in their igloo:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1501 on: December 03, 2008, 13:14:20 PM »
My first chance to check on our little pal today.  Lol I can understand him being cross at the paw in his face.  Naugthy Max.  Hope his day goes well and good idea re the vet visit.  xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1500 on: December 03, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
Bad SMMum forgot the antibiotics by 1/2 hour last night as I was a bit conked out - I know, I've been told to give them on the dot if possible. This morning I went back to the usual time. He's been up quite a bit in the night and we had one 'incident' at 3am when Max tried to playfight, which woke me and didn't go down well with Swampy who was resting and suddenly had a paw in his face. But by this morning he felt up to giving OH at least 8 chin lovebites - and he's now iglooed having been cross with me about giving him his pills. The laurabolin hasn't helped his appetite, maybe a bit the opposite.
I booked a home visit for next week before the vet goes away (until 7 Jan), as if I don't book it now he will be too busy unless it's an emergency. I just hope that the locum is good and gentle.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1499 on: December 02, 2008, 22:24:42 PM »
Night Swampy xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #1498 on: December 02, 2008, 22:08:59 PM »
Glad he is calmer - hope you both have a good night.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1497 on: December 02, 2008, 21:26:01 PM »
Just popping in with night time hugs xx

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #1496 on: December 02, 2008, 11:12:33 AM »
Think I might join Swampy in his igloo - it's bloomin freezing here.
Thai wouldnt move from the bed this morning - she had warmed a spot and there she was staying. As close to the radiator as possible.

Warms snuggles to Mr Swampy xxxxx

Offline sazkat2

• Senior Cat
« Reply #1495 on: December 02, 2008, 10:45:58 AM »
 :hug:  Lets hope u all have a good day xxx Hugs and purrsss xxxx

PLEASE GIVE A BLACK CAT A CHANCE LOTS ARE LEFT IN RESCUE JUST BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOUR.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1494 on: December 02, 2008, 10:29:41 AM »
Good to hear Kate.  re the vet perhaps he can make sure whoever is covering him is completely au fait with Swampy's details and the need to make home visits?  Hope the rest of the day is good for you all x

Link to CatChat