Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404334 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1653 on: December 22, 2008, 20:10:50 PM »
WTG Swampy lad, adventuring.  Did you check out the PAH vet?  they have good opening hours and ours even opens Bank Holidays and all day Sunday though obviously wont be open over Xmas.  Hope you all have a quiet night and Swamps wasn't too grumpy at being disturbed for his ab's - I don't think you're mad at all I think you are a lovely caring mum and that Swamps is lucky to have you so Merry Xmas to your family member. xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1652 on: December 22, 2008, 19:32:38 PM »
He's been off for a guided walk again today, purring all the way. I heard from a reliable source that the locum vet is lousy btw, so if anything should happen (please not) we would have to look for alternatives.

Good news is the insurance paid, less my hefty 35% excess. Bad news is I owe what they paid me to the vet anyhow. Oops it's antibiotic time! He's asleep so I may not get my finger munched. xx  :hug:

PS annoying family member rang about Xmas....found out I'm sleeping on the floor with him and says I am quite mad. thank God for you lot on here, who understand  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1651 on: December 22, 2008, 12:00:41 PM »
First chance to pop on to see how he's doing today.  Sounds like he's doing good and hope he continues having a nice cozy day x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1650 on: December 22, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »
Monsieur Swampy, the Essex born french passport holder, had a good night but.....he's now getting quite vocal. He found what he was looking for at 3.30am and just had to tell me about it - so loudly it got through the earplugs and woke me up. He has eaten ok, had a wander and is now in the igloo under his bright light with Max. I gave him vivitonin today though as it's supposed to be for dementia, which is what I assume the shouting is - he makes a new noise, bit like someone just stood on his tail.
going to be warm and gloomy so I may join him under the 10 000 lux light now  :hug: xx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1649 on: December 21, 2008, 21:00:12 PM »
Lots of hugs and vibes for Swampy  :hug:  Bless him with his visit to the bedroom!

I heat Jaffa's snugglesafe heatpad for 6 mins on a 800W microwave.  He prefers his hot water bottle to the snugglesafe though  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1648 on: December 21, 2008, 20:26:35 PM »
He was really grumpy and I got upset - so Max wanted to take off down the passage (he hides under the bed at the slightest upset). I left the door ajar for when his Maxness wanted to come back (usually 15 mins or so). Swampy was circling a bit but found the door open a crack so pulled it open with his paw and off he went, not totally straight but still..... Supervised.....but unsupervised he found the bathroom and wandered around it, then went into the bedroom and after a bit of a guided tour wander, he sniffed the bed and up he hopped and started to wash himself all over while purring madly - doesn't do the full wash that much anymore. Max joined him and lots of nggggging of mutual snogging of eyebrows later, they have curled up together, after having had a big joint purr and shared a teeny plate of k/d (Max will eat a little when it's not 'his').

Think I am going to have to incorporate a wander to the bedroom into the daily routine as Swampy clearly gets bored, even if he's so unwell. Just hope he doesn't fancy it at 3am!  :hug: xx hope everyone has a good night.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1647 on: December 21, 2008, 20:25:44 PM »
Popped in to say goodnight and sleep well xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1646 on: December 21, 2008, 15:22:06 PM »
I hope the boy is settled today xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1645 on: December 21, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »
OH did last night and it was agitated apparently. This morning likewise, he was just wanting to pace and not purr. Since then he's calmer, in a better mood and has eaten well and is now asleep at last! The new SAD light is nowhere near where he's sleeping but hope it will help in due course (I put it near the igloo).

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1644 on: December 21, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »
Good morning everyone.  Hope you had a quiet night and your day is stress free (well as much as it can be) :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1643 on: December 20, 2008, 21:41:19 PM »
Just here to send goodnight wishes you all hope Swampy has a warm snugglesafe stress free night.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1642 on: December 20, 2008, 17:04:52 PM »
 :thanks: that's a big help. I've been doing 5 mins which seems fine. I might get myself one, it stays warm for ages :) xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1641 on: December 20, 2008, 16:53:21 PM »
Snugglesafe timings - do not exceed these times.

600 -650 w 8 mins
700 -750 w 7 mins
800 -850 w 6 mins
900-1000 w 5 mins
1100 0 1200 w 3 mins
1300-1500w 2 and a half mins

Leave to stand in microwave for 1 min to allow heat to stabilise

Hope this helps x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1640 on: December 20, 2008, 16:48:18 PM »
nope on the back it says to consult the original bit of paper that came with it - and don't overheat!

Swampy has been overgrooming his side for the first time; it's soaking wet. I'm not sure why as he's not done that for years. Not a good thing with him having to stay hydrated. The only 'new' med from today is I switched his glucosamine to cystease, but I doubt it's that.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1639 on: December 20, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »
If its a snugglesafe doesn't it have the timings on the back?  Glad things not too bad and hope the lamp helps.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1638 on: December 20, 2008, 11:57:46 AM »
His night wasn't too bad, we had a sing along at 3am and some circling, but then he settled again. Today though he's a bit agitated again and not eaten as well so the old Pepcid's been given again. I gave vivitonin, now I'm wondering if it's that that causes some agitation?

His lamp (aka our trial SAD lamp) arrived today and is very bright. The instructions say run it morning only in 2 hour bursts, so we've ended up getting 2 lamps (ordered the one you told me about Mark but will only come after Xmas as isn't in stock); this one is on a 30 day trial. I don't think we'll keep it unless it really does work and picks up his (and my!) mood on the dark days. I also have to make sure that he doesn't look at it as it's 10 000 lux which is like 240W I think. The company are german and they told me it's a misconception that any of these lights produce Vitamin D but they work on mood and general well being.

I dug out an old heatpad - the hard round pet kind you put in the microwave - and can't remember if 5 mins (700W MWave I think) heating in the MW is ok, as he enjoyed it last night. If others have one, would that be about right for heating time? It says don't overheat and refer to original leaflet....which is well lost after 2 years!

big purrs from Swampa to everyone.  :hug:xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1637 on: December 20, 2008, 07:01:22 AM »
Sorry missed me night time post think my brain must have been frazzled.  I use Companian Care the vets at PAH and the have been lovely with Charlie.  I would speak to them if you are concerned about the locum.  Hope things go well today xxxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1636 on: December 19, 2008, 23:00:00 PM »
my neighbour's dad uses a vet not far from here, in PAH shop and he thinks they are good (they have a dog though, in good health). I asked him to ask as know he loves his dog v much.

I am so tired that my brain froze and I forgot to give Swampy his a.bs on time tonight, so he's had it 3 hours late. Not good; the one pill the vet told me to really give on time. I got to the usual time and thought "I'm sure there's something I'm meant to give him" as there's a lot at various times.....old brain just fried. I hope it's ok. I'm going now to the notebook to write down all tomorrow's meds right now. Duh.
He has been calmer today so I'm going probably to withhold the vivitonin tomorrow too to see if it helps.

night everyone, sleep well and stay warm with the furry ones xx  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1635 on: December 19, 2008, 17:55:11 PM »
Oh dear well you know Swamp's is a very unusual case and he might be very interested - let's hope so and let's hope you don't have to test it out

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1634 on: December 19, 2008, 16:57:49 PM »
just went down to fetch more pills and briefly ran into the locum. He seems to be processing patients every 5 minutes, bit like my GP (I wasn't there long and 3 lots of people went in and out; the nurse says he gets through many more patients than the usual vet) and looks quite severe and very old school - my initial reaction was to think please please don't let anything happen until my usual vet is back.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1633 on: December 19, 2008, 15:36:56 PM »
Mega loads of vibes coming from us for the next week  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1632 on: December 19, 2008, 15:06:31 PM »
Lots and lots of calming vibes winging there way to Swampy and hugs to you :hug: :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1631 on: December 19, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »
Waves and waves and waves of vibes heading Swampy's way  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1630 on: December 19, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
We've been up since 4 - he's a bit agitated. I had a big cuddle with him though, kissing his tum and making him purr loudly and then he just got up and followed me into the kitchen. So I'm sure it's stress; the only problem is how to control the stress and keep him as calm as possible. The sun's out but at this time of year it hits the back carpet in the lounge, not the futon or anything so he can't lie in it :-(
It's difficult for me to go out in case he gets up (he's not sleeping very much) and needs a hand. right now the 2 of them are doing their face washing routine together which he loves and calms him right down, but I have to get some steroids down Swamp in a minute, which is going to derail that unfortunately. I didn't give him his vivitonin this morning because I want to see if it makes any difference to how calm or stressed he feels.
Please keep the calming vibes coming  :hug: thanks! xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1629 on: December 19, 2008, 09:33:43 AM »
Good morning Swampy and co.  Hope your night was restful and your day is sunny  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1628 on: December 18, 2008, 23:44:49 PM »
Hope you and Swampy have a restful night  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1627 on: December 18, 2008, 21:43:07 PM »
Just popping in to wish you all a peaceful night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1626 on: December 18, 2008, 18:01:33 PM »
thanks so much. I'll see if my friend manages to help me tomorrow - I've left her a message and it will depend if she can get to la Poste or not before she goes away until after Xmas. xx  :hug:

Swampy's been circly again today, not sure why he is agitated but at last has gone to sleep for a bit. He's eaten quite well though - the a.bs tend to improve things dramatically for a day or 2 and then not. Still means he probably needs them though, or why would they give him that initial boost?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1625 on: December 18, 2008, 15:59:02 PM »
Let me know if you can't get anyone in France I have friends there, Belgium and Germany x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1624 on: December 18, 2008, 12:40:44 PM »
He's a bit circly today - wasn't at night. All very odd. I'm staggered by the Pepcid situation and am going to post in another thread to see if anyone knows where I can get it - the one supplier to the UK I found wants $11 for the tablets but it goes up to $43 with shipping and isn't even quick!
You can get it in France but I can't seem to contact any friends, many are away already.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1623 on: December 18, 2008, 11:03:23 AM »
No answer re the Pecid but deeeelighted to know the little guy did so well last night keep it up Swamps xxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1622 on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:51 AM »
Swampy had a good night. I got so zonked that I've overdosed him on lactulose I think - I didn't look in Max's tray, just his ones and so redosed Swampa.....hopefully not too serious but we will find out later! He wandered to the kitchen at 4.30am and ate something left out, found tray etc which is great. It's either Pepcid or a.bs helping - last time the a.bs helped him for a few days, then not, but imo that shows that they are working on something - ??  Does anyone know if Pepcid exp 08/08 is a problem as right now I've no alternative; it seems to be helping.

I've turned on his heatpad in the travel bed (not the igloo) and he's safely in there. I'm sure Max will join him for a lovely long zzzz.  :hug: everyone xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1621 on: December 18, 2008, 09:33:06 AM »
Morning hugs and good vibes for Swampy's day  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1620 on: December 18, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »
Topping up the Swampy cuddles.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #1619 on: December 17, 2008, 22:59:08 PM »
If you put a little Olbas oil in the humidifier with the water it will help to clear their noses, its perfectly safe, I do this with mine. Its just acting like Vics and hot water treatment. All they are used for is to keep the moisture in the air so would not be doing the cats any harm  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1618 on: December 17, 2008, 22:11:01 PM »
Sorry I havent posted for a long time but I have been keeping up with this thread and sending positive vibes to Swamp and hope tonight is a good night for all of you :hug:

You guys are such an inspiration to any cat owner,I really dont know how you keep it together and can only admire you all as a family :hug:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 22:11:50 PM by Gwen »
Love me,love my animals.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1617 on: December 17, 2008, 22:09:48 PM »
He's had his antibiotic and Pepcid and has eaten a little more, doing much better, but he's on the heatpad in the other bed (not igloo) and hasn't moved for 7 hours......think I'd better remind him that a wee might be needed! the Pepcid's out of date (bad mum just noticed) but hopefully not a problem until I can get some more from America.

I turn off the heatpad at night, trying to keep them or Swampy in the igloo as it's next to the futon where I sleep. I'm thinking that there may be complaints  :hug: xx hoping for a good night for all and a good tomorrow too.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1616 on: December 17, 2008, 21:34:11 PM »
What a nightmare.   :hug: :hug: for you both (and Max to) x

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1615 on: December 17, 2008, 21:31:11 PM »
Juggling act when our babes have multiple problems isn't it.
Modern veterinary is both brilliant, and a completely complex nightmare  :Crazy:
Glad he has eaten a little today.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1614 on: December 17, 2008, 21:26:06 PM »
Good night God Bless you Swamps and big hugs to you all with wishes for a restful night :hug:

Link to CatChat