Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404319 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1693 on: December 28, 2008, 13:31:27 PM »
Do you put newspaper under the cat litter in the tray?  Just a thought cos I got scared once thinking I had seen blood but it was print!  Hope nothing lurking, keep us posted.  xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1692 on: December 28, 2008, 11:10:40 AM »
Swampy just peed yet again before a poo - although the 2 may be linked, it doesn't usually happen and it's under 2 hours from last time. There were 3 tiny red specks in the clump of litter when I cleaned it out. I don't know if they are part of the litter itself or could be blood. I'm going to put Cystease in his little snack with his steroids at 11.30am. He has been more agitated this last hour too. I don't know what I can really do but I am now worried. If he's not better by tomorrow in terms of this, I have to decide if I take a sample to the locum or to the other vet nearby. My vet's not back until 7th which yesterday felt easy and today feels a long way off.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1691 on: December 28, 2008, 09:50:11 AM »
Im so glad Swampy is doing well at the moment, hope he keeps it up, and still sending healing vibes for him  :Luv: and hugs for you Kate and OH :hug:  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1690 on: December 28, 2008, 09:33:39 AM »
Bless him he seems to be coping really well at the moment keep it up Swamps x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1689 on: December 28, 2008, 09:27:57 AM »
OH asked if it's safe to leave the heatpad on 24 hours a day - hope so as that's what I am doing. The bed is just under the radiator too and they are curled up in it with the SAD light shining at them! It's the blue heatpad kind (BSAVA) that vet uk sells. Think I'll email them to ask. I could always turn it off for an hour or so while they are curled up together, but they love it so much.

Swampy is weeing more often - often under 3 hours now although the wees are small. He's been walking better yesterday and today and he does drink a bit more (although not a lot) when he can find the water easily.  I don't want to take down a urine sample this week unless I have to.

Keep warm everyone  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1688 on: December 28, 2008, 07:39:31 AM »
Glad he had not too bad a day yesterday, he is entitled to complain a bit I think don't you?  Hope the night was calm and he can find a patch of sunlight in the cold day to lie in, if not then he has his heatbad which I expect is really cosy.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1687 on: December 27, 2008, 22:10:44 PM »
Yes, I'll say one thing for Fortekor and that it is well designed and doesn't get spat out. No reason why the manufs of those pred steroids couldn't coat them with something so that they don't taste as vile as they obviously do. Plus if they get spat out, they are often too gobby or broken to use - like last night. I am still not sure exactly what dose Swampy ended up getting!

He's been ok today, had a good meal earlier even though his blindness causes him to take longer to find stuff even when he's walking ok and he complains. But think old cats do quite a lot of vocalising anyhow, don't they?  That green bed has their old SA 'leopard' bed in it which they both love - there were 2 of the beds, but one came to grief when the nurse washed it at 90 degs when Swampy had it in hospital in 2006 - so fat Max tends to occupy it and has to be shoved to one side to let Swampy in! 

night, night, peaceful sleep to all. It is going to be very cold this week so hope all furbabes are warm too  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1686 on: December 27, 2008, 20:36:19 PM »
Little so and so my dog Pepsi used to do that with heart pills and you would find them scattered round the house or stuck in her fur (she was long haired).  Anyway hope he has enjoyed his day as best he can and hope you all have a quiet night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1685 on: December 27, 2008, 10:00:42 AM »
Hi! He is not too bad, thanks. Up and down. Last night he gobbed out his steroid pill. I found a mangled 1/2 of it in his bed (no sign of other half), so only gave him another 1 pill (he has 1 1/2 pills). I don't know if he chewed the other half and swallowed or if he got it in him at all. He was drooling and foaming because pred obviously tastes awful and I was tired and gave it to him badly :(
I hope he's had enough to keep him all right and eating for 36 hours though.
the other thing is he's only drinking a little. I don't know if this means he's not thirsty or if it's that he can't be bothered or dementia - I take water to him and he shies away. I do give him a few droppers of water if he's not drunk for ages, but that gets about 3 - 4mls into him. I also add water (5mls - teasp) to his wet food. His skin folds go back pretty well so don't think he's v dehydrated; just would expect a cat with kidney issues to drink more.

Purrs and snores to everyone from the heatpad-bed dwellers. The igloo seems to have been abandoned for the minute!  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1684 on: December 27, 2008, 08:19:06 AM »
Hope no news is good news :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1683 on: December 26, 2008, 21:34:50 PM »
Hope you all had a lovely day together and that your night is stress free x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1682 on: December 26, 2008, 10:05:40 AM »
Bless him I hope he continues to do so well xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1681 on: December 26, 2008, 09:50:38 AM »
Swampy sez Hello Paddy an Charlie an all my frienz! I haz eaten bout 5 mousies terday so far. I iz not drinkin so mum sez I must eat mousies a lot. Kissmouse was gud. I haz SAD lamp and heatpad and I sends big NGGGGGGGGGtttts (dat is eyebrow eatin noiz) to all my mates. Iz sleepin now, bye xxxx

He's not walking too straight, except sometimes, for no apparent reason, but he seems happy and warm curled up in that green bed with Maxi and the new catnip banana (it's their rabbit cage, long distance car-travel bed from France) right under the radiator with the heatpad on under them too. If nothing else, the SAD light means I can take photos of them without flash and Swampy's colour comes out better  ;D

Happy Boxing day to everyone  :hug: xx  may it be a good day for all. Sunny here but freezing cold wind.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1680 on: December 26, 2008, 09:33:46 AM »
Hope that Swamps and his army had a restful  night and he can enjoy snuggling with Max and having little adventures round the house today.  Hope he eats and poos too x

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1679 on: December 26, 2008, 09:14:57 AM »
Oh Kate - what a beautiful picture.  Paddy specifically wanted me to put the pooter on so......

:shify:  Allo Swampy   :yesss:  I wants ter send yoo der big whiksery PPPPPrrrfppppTTT fer Kissmouse an opes yoo had a luvverly day.  Is gud dat yoo bin snuzzlin wiv yer bruvver an I 'opes yoo all has der very gud day terday an all.    :Luv:  Bye fer now.  Paddy  xxx   :shify:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1678 on: December 25, 2008, 21:58:41 PM »
Hope the boys and you and OH had a lovely and relaxing Xmas Day and hopefully your night will be stress free xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #1677 on: December 25, 2008, 13:20:01 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1676 on: December 25, 2008, 13:04:44 PM »
 :Luv:so beautiful ,and relaxed, hard to imagine he has so many problems bless him sending healing vibes for a lovely Xmas for him and you all  :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1675 on: December 25, 2008, 12:17:49 PM »
Oh wow what a beautiful pic making my eyes leak  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1674 on: December 25, 2008, 11:27:17 AM »

The SwampMax send a sleepy snore purr to all their Purrs friends for a lovely, relaxing Xmas xx this was about 20 mins ago.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #1673 on: December 25, 2008, 09:49:27 AM »
Hope you, OH, Max and of course Swampy have a lovely and relaxed Christmas  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1672 on: December 25, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »
A very happy Christmas to everyone who is and has been sending vibes and prayers for Swampy and may you all have a lovely day with your furbabes too  :hug: xx

My Swamp was doing well until 4am, since when he's become agitated, no idea why. He's not wanting to eat. Just given him his Zylkene and hope that it works and he'll eat later. No Xmas dins sadly as he just eats k/d now. I'll pass on the headbutts and he sends mega dark brown purrs back to everyone xx

thank you from the bottom of my heart for being here for us xxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1671 on: December 25, 2008, 08:03:06 AM »
Charlie and I hope that you all had a peaceful and restful Christmas Eve and that your Christmas Day is everything you wish for.  xxxx

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1670 on: December 25, 2008, 00:02:49 AM »
Hoping you all have a peaceful and stress free xmas , with mega healing vibes for Swampy and  :hug: :hug: to you all for taking such great care of him -including furry headbuts to Max and Swampy from the persian clan in Lincoln.
Hope there is no need for any vet calls for a long while .

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1669 on: December 24, 2008, 23:03:40 PM »
Hope you have a wonderful peaceful Christmas  :hug: to you and soggy nosed smooches from Dave xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1668 on: December 24, 2008, 23:00:33 PM »
A peaceful Christmas to you and the boys  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1667 on: December 24, 2008, 22:52:23 PM »
All the best for a peaceful Christmas to you and Swampy  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1666 on: December 24, 2008, 18:09:11 PM »
Just want to say God Bless the little man and all of you who are caring for him (including Max).  I hope you all have the best possible Xmas and have no need of any vet. xxxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1665 on: December 24, 2008, 09:19:54 AM »
I'm going to fetch his last lab results just in case they are needed. But he was good last night, except he peed 3 x, which is 2x too often so I am (of course) worried. He is finding everything today so far which is good but not eating as well as yesterday (more Pepcid later). But Max is having a jealous fit and shoved him out of the bed twice so I need to make a fuss of my fat little Max today too.

Thanks for the Santa bag full of vibes and love for Swampa. I'll pass it all on. He had a sudden stress attack for 5 mins this am after I'd had him on his back and was kissing his tum so weird, but OH cuddled him and it passed. We just want to have a loving and peaceful Xmas together, as I hope all of you do too with your little ones, especially the ones that aren't too well xx  :hug:  :grouphug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1664 on: December 24, 2008, 06:38:58 AM »
Glad he had a good day and hope the night was too.  Tell Swampy Santa Paws is on his way and his sack is filled with loving vibes for a special special boy and his special mum.  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1663 on: December 24, 2008, 01:47:39 AM »
Lots of mega vibes for a stress free night for you all -big  :hug: :hug: to everyone- hope Swampy keeps doing as well all over xmas and new year and longer .

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1662 on: December 23, 2008, 23:39:28 PM »
he's had a good evening so I'm hoping for some sleep tonight. night night, thanks for sending all the lovely messages Chrissie  :hug:  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1661 on: December 23, 2008, 21:21:45 PM »
Hope the little soldier has had a good day and that you all have a quiet night  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1660 on: December 23, 2008, 16:27:01 PM »
Nice lady NOT

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1659 on: December 23, 2008, 14:13:28 PM »
the vet (not a Saffie as my neighbour said, but Irish) said apparently that she was on on her own so didn't want any home visits for animals she didn't even know. ( a merry Xmas to you too). A question like this though does show what a vet's like I think.
I'm hoping and praying that he will be just fine. They are yinyanging in the other bed now, the heatpad is on 24/7 as they love it.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1658 on: December 23, 2008, 13:48:30 PM »
What happened to the good old fashioned vet that would help any animal in need,  to say they wouldnt help even in an emergency beggers belief :shocked:,,  sending lots of healing vibes  for Swampy and hugs for Kate :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1657 on: December 23, 2008, 13:31:44 PM »
How awful I am really surprised but I expect it comes down to their ethics!!!  Let's hope the locum comes up trumps if needed.  Hang on in there Swamps. xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1656 on: December 23, 2008, 10:15:02 AM »
think you are right, better go down there and speak to them sometime today. They are right at the back of the shop in a sealed area and it's difficult to get past the receptionist though. Not sure I could speak to a vet

Just called them. The vet won't help me, even in an emergency. She says I have to stick with the locum. She sounds nasty so I wouldn't want her near Swampy anyhow. I'll just have to hope and pray that nothing goes wrong or at least that the other bloke who is around a few days is working.  I get spoiled with the vet I have - around here some of them (most of them) are just awful.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 13:13:12 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1655 on: December 23, 2008, 08:53:51 AM »
They are not the cheapest by any means but they are thorough and every time you go in they do a good check weight etc.  It's their opening hours that attracted me to be honest.  Anyway best of luck but it might be worth sorting out a decent vet before you may need one?  Hope Swamps and you all have a good day today will be thinking of you all as usual xxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1654 on: December 22, 2008, 23:11:24 PM »
not yet. It's very near Asda and Sainsburys so wonder how long it would take to get there and back at the mo'!  I did go there when we first moved in, but they wouldn't sell me a bag of RC food like they'd been eating for 2 years in France, without my making an appointment for each cat ie £50, so I got put off and never went back. But hopefully they are good vets, if needed. I have the name of 3 vet practices, just a question of who would be around during the holidays.  It is so vital to have someone who is both v good and nice isn't it.

night all from the eyebrow snoggers xx  :hug: sleep tight  :hug:

Link to CatChat