Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404316 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1733 on: December 31, 2008, 14:58:54 PM »
Im so glad everything went okay (apart from bloods ) with Swampy im sure all the love hes recieving plus the healing vibes are doing him good, hope you have a good day today  :hug:  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1732 on: December 31, 2008, 14:31:16 PM »
Hey that's not such bad news then is it?  Naughty boy Swamps re the bloods though but I can't say I blame you.  It's good, I think, that the second vet has confirmed what your own vet has said all along, that you are doing the right thing by Swampy.  Hope he continues to have a happy day

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #1731 on: December 31, 2008, 14:15:02 PM »
Rescue Remedy can be added to water or rubbed onto the back of the ears hunnie - its great stuff.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1730 on: December 31, 2008, 13:52:32 PM »
I think we need vet visits every day - Swampy was quite a bit better during the visit than he's been lately!   He'd just woken up and purred while the bp was taken with a new style little bp measuring cuff (not too high but of course the vet says that's as low as it will ever get...160, 170) but he would NOT allow bloods to be taken at all. He walked around without too much circling and found both his beds and had a good yell once too. The vet says it was helpful to see him on a better day as well as it helps his judgement of how bad he is. He says that often he sees pets where owners, in his opinion, are carrying on too long because they don't want to let go, but he doesn't feel that this is the case with Swampy.  Still another 10 days of a.bs though, although we discussed that Swampy has in the past felt better with a few days break.

He did say and we know it of course, that deterioration could happen at any time as we just don't know what is wrong exactly. Plus quite a bit may be dementia too, as he said his bladder's not that full, yet Swampy will probably try to pee even though he may not really need to.  So I plan to spend NY's Eve cuddling my boy and hoping he is calm.

Btw he said he knows nada about Bach Flower Remedies but I could try them for calming - does anyone know? Presume rescue remedy is no good as you have to add it to water?

thanks for the vibes, they worked (who cares about the bloods eh). He's not that anaemic he doesn't think as his gums are pink and he's not dehydrated. Such a brave little man xx  :hug: to his friends  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1729 on: December 31, 2008, 13:04:30 PM »
Come on Swamps try your best to let the vet help you.  Perhaps your mummy can hold you?  Hope it all goes well.  Love and vibes coming your way from Manchester  :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #1728 on: December 31, 2008, 12:21:59 PM »
Sending lots of vibes and hope that the new vet can get what he needs  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1727 on: December 31, 2008, 12:05:45 PM »
I am so nervous with the new vet coming around in 1/2 an hour. He is going to try to take bp and bloods if Swampy will allow him to. I told him he'd have to lie on the futon mattress to do it probably and he seems ok with that, but still sometimes it doesn't work.  I saw Swampy's notes when doing my insurance claim (notes even from before his accident). My vet had written "tried, failed to get bloods today, Swampy too wriggly". And he's used to the usual vet too.
I really hope he manages to get his bp reading in case it's gone high. Please send lots of vibes for a calm Swampcat! xx

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:07:10 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1726 on: December 31, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »
Good morning and I hope you all managed to sleep some last night.  Having a decent and different vet take a look might cast new eyes on Swampy's situation so you never know.  Hopefully the visit will go well and I look forward to your update later.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1725 on: December 30, 2008, 20:11:42 PM »
Hoping it's just another blip (and there have been plenty and he has come through them) and try not to worry too much.  Hope you can all get some rest tonight xxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1724 on: December 30, 2008, 17:46:39 PM »
The vet is coming tomorrow instead, at 12 if all goes to plan. We just had a chat on the phone today. Don't think there's much he can do, but just thought it may be helpful to have him look over Swampy and his meds. Swampa had a little sleep this afternoon but keeps getting moved by Max (who takes the best spot in the bed) and is still restless. I had a rest, but just can't sleep during the day.
Swampy's in a good mood but is quite vestibular (circly when he walks) and gets grumpy when he can't find things very fast. He's been like this before, but not for a few weeks, so please keep the vibes and prayers coming that it is just a blip and not how he is now. what is new, is that he shouts for food. Is hungrier than before. I don't know if it's his neuro, or meds or a bit of both. There are some meds that could be hurting or helping, it's so difficult to know which eg vivitonin. Probably not fair to expect a new vet to know either.
 :hug: xxxx

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 18:09:03 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #1723 on: December 30, 2008, 16:54:07 PM »
Big *hugs* for Swampy.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1722 on: December 30, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »
Oh dear poor Swamps and poor you.  Let us know how you get on re the vet and in the meantime a lorry load of positive vibes on its way   :hug: :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1721 on: December 30, 2008, 09:58:42 AM »
Oh Kate I hope Swamps gets some sleep today so you can too.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1720 on: December 30, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »
Hi Kate, sorry to hear you had another bad night,  hope that you and Swampy manage to catch a bit of sleep today, sending mege vibes for a good day and lots of hugs for you ,and we are all praying for you both  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1719 on: December 30, 2008, 09:23:30 AM »
Swampy was ok until 2am but had a rough night after that, agitated and peeing about every 2 hours. I've left a message to speak to the vet, to ask if he thinks a home visit may be worth it. I hope he may zzzz now for a few hours as he must be exhausted. I am tired. About 1 hour in 2 nights is not good. He was much better yesterday afternoon and evening so I'm trying to keep calm. Please keep vibes coming his way xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1718 on: December 30, 2008, 08:40:03 AM »
I agree lots of cuddles and loving today,    :hug:    :hug: hope you had a peaceful night

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1717 on: December 30, 2008, 07:27:50 AM »
Morning all, hope you had a decent night?  Lots of snuggling today as it's very very cold (well at least it is here in murky Manchester)  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1716 on: December 29, 2008, 23:31:52 PM »
Glad the vet was nice and hopefully the long course of antibiotics will do the trick. Hope all is peaceful tonght.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1715 on: December 29, 2008, 21:00:20 PM »
I second that wholeheartedly   :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1714 on: December 29, 2008, 20:48:13 PM »
Hope our favourite boy is ok.  Let's hope tonight is restful :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1713 on: December 29, 2008, 13:46:17 PM »
Well if love is the key he has bucketloads from everyone  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1712 on: December 29, 2008, 13:42:24 PM »
thank you  :hug:  Yes, he said several possibilities - infection, inflammation, stones (unlikely as SG isn't good, it's 10.18) or a little tumour in either the bladder or kidneys. My usual vet added a residue of the brain stem bleeding to the list too, in some way we don't understand without scans. But even with a scan, there's no more they could do.  No-one has any idea why he gets so stressed sometimes and circles, whereas other days or parts of days is so much better. Neuro + long term steroid use possibly as steroids affect the adrenal system which controls stress response. Either way it's full time love as a prescription, no hardship really. xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1711 on: December 29, 2008, 13:25:58 PM »
Oh Kate my heart goes out to you  :hug: its hard i know to watch a loved one so poorly but please try to remain calm or Swampy will pick up on this, im keeping everything crossed for you both and sending lots of healing vibes and husg to all oy you :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1710 on: December 29, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
Sounds like you made the right choice to go to this vet, he sounds lovely and understanding.  Did he say what the possibilities were for the blood and which might be most likely?  Bucket loads of love and vibes heading Swampy's way it is so rotten that these things keep happening but his immune system will be down with the steroids.  Big hugs to you all and chin rub for Swamp and Max  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1709 on: December 29, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »
The vet was very nice, called me straight back (not busy!). He says there isn't much change from the previous test. Swampy's kidneys are not too bad in terms of urea/creatinine but as to why there is so much blood in the urine, he's not sure which of several possibilities it could be (no scans possible). What I liked was his instant understanding of why it wasn't a good idea to get the proper diagnosis by putting Swampy through the scans etc, as the treatment would not differ - just we would know what was wrong for sure. He says it could be infection, although quite probably not but he'd want a clear 4 weeks on these antibiotics just in case and to keep on the steroids and all other meds. He'll do a home visit if necessary. He also suggested using the mouth-given morphine type painkiller (again: says it's very safe, much better than Metacam and I mustn't worry!) if necessary, but just do what I am doing and hope that he picks up again and destresses and stops peeing so often. I will have to take him if he strains and nothing comes out of course. So far he has rested more than yesterday afternoon or night at least. We also had a sing song cuddle in the puddle of sun, which we both enjoyed.

Please keep the vibes and prayers coming as I am sure that they help  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1708 on: December 29, 2008, 11:00:17 AM »
More vibes from us  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1707 on: December 29, 2008, 10:20:39 AM »
Hope the tests help to get to the bottom of it.  waiting for your update x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1706 on: December 29, 2008, 09:25:18 AM »
Swampy was very manic last night and only settled down for a few hours after 2. I've just got a small urine sample and I'm off to the other local vet with it. I called and they say they do urinalysis.
He is still stressed and eating a bit more than usual.
First step is to see if anything's changed with the urine so here we go, hope I'm doing the right thing xx  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1705 on: December 29, 2008, 07:15:43 AM »
Sending you loads of positive vibes for the boy.  Hope the night wasn't too difficult and hope you can get it sorted with the vet today  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1704 on: December 28, 2008, 22:29:03 PM »
 :hug: not expecting much sleep. He's been again just now, barely a trickle but he's going so often that's not surprising. I'll call at 8.30 tomorrow or when they are open. I just wish there was something I could do to help him. I put a little more Zylkene in his food in case he's stressed.  He's back in the igloo, not a very good sign as that's where he goes when he's poorly.

please just send prayers and vibes for Swampy. He was doing so well lately up until today. xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1703 on: December 28, 2008, 20:29:16 PM »
Bless I wish I could say something useful.  I just hope you have an ok night and get to speak to the vet tomorrow.  Hang on there xxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1702 on: December 28, 2008, 19:49:05 PM »
thanks so much  :hug: xx

He's now gone nearly 3 hours as was heatpad-bedsitting with Max, but unable to sleep. He cleaned Max and himself and sat up and looked around, then sat down again. Has just had his a.bs and a little more to eat. I'm now wondering (chicken and egg q) if he is worse because he is somehow more stressed today, or if he is more stressed/agitated today because he is worse. It's a stress related problem for the most part isn't it?  Must go and help him produce another dribble now poor lamb.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1701 on: December 28, 2008, 18:35:25 PM »
Kate, sending gentle hugs for you and Swampy.  :care: :care:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1700 on: December 28, 2008, 18:34:50 PM »
Please try not to get yourself into an anxious state (easy to say I know) as Swampy will pick up on it and it could make him more anxious.  If you are very very worried then contact whoever covers your vet in an emergency and speak to them.  They may be able to offer some advice to help until you can get the vet out.  Best of luck and keep us posted xx

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #1699 on: December 28, 2008, 18:22:58 PM »
The only thing i could suggest is vetuk do a couple of pastes that are for cystitis-one is called uro-pet( for reduction of struvite stone recurrence ) and the other is UTI cat paste ( helps maintain a healthy urinary tract, with natural cranberry extracts)
I bought these in , but haven''t used them as thought they would be handy to keep in as most of mine have had cystitis at some time and Smartie had crystals twice .
Hope this might be useful to Swampy but obviously you can''t get them very quickly , but may want to keep some in !?
Big  :hug: :hug:  and healing vibes from us all in Lincoln to Swampy and  :hug: :hug:  to you all.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1698 on: December 28, 2008, 17:36:50 PM »
The nurse advised me to try elsewhere so I think if the other guy can do a urine test, then I'll go there. I have copies of his last urine and blood test results.  Swampy may need a home visit too. He's peed again, less than 1 1/2 hours. He gets upset and needs help to find the tray as he's stressed. But he is peeing (so far) even though obviously it's a tiny amount. I tried to give him a syringe of water but he spat a lot of it. So I am giving him lots of little meals of k/d with extra water in it.
He's had blood in his urine for weeks now and has been going too often, but like I say, the fastest has been 3 hours apart.

Apart from that, he is eating well, his coat is good and he's purring when cuddled or stroked. But not sleeping really as has to get up so often. I was going to ring the emergency vet, but there's not much they can do I don't think. I have to wait for tomorrow and hope and pray that he doesn't get worse and that possibly he improves. He's on steroids, antibiotics and Zylkene, so not sure what else can do other than try to comfort him.
We are both upset as it is so sudden. We were thinking yesterday how easily we could cope until 7th when the vet returns. Has anyone got any other helpful suggestions please?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 17:39:18 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1697 on: December 28, 2008, 16:36:41 PM »
Kate I don't know what advice to offer  you save to see the vet you feel you can trust the most bearing in mind that the locum will have ready access to Swampy's case notes.  You can always get a second opinion if needs be.  I think the important thing is to stop it getting any worse if it is cystitis?  Hopefully someone will be along shortly who might be able to help you as I feel futile! xxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1696 on: December 28, 2008, 15:54:39 PM »
he keeps going every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and doing a little wee. No pain, just wees as normal but far too often. Up until today it was 3 hours at least and often a bit more than that (up to 5 hours) if he was comfy or asleep. He's also eating a bit more (not much more, just a bit more) than normal. Otherwise he's 'normal'.

Question is do I trust the locum despite what the nurse said, or do I go to the other local vet I spoke to (who is now back), armed with the print out of 16th December lab results? I could ring in the morning and ask if they have that spinner that does urinalysis. Do you know what it's called? I know my vet has it as his own in house results were the same as the lab.  First time Swampy's urine was blood +  and last time blood +++.

IF this is a cystitis type thing (not sure if this q will reach everyone or should start another thread just about cystitis) is what I'm doing correct- he is on antibiotics and 1 cystease a day? He does not seem thirsty and has wet food with a teaspoon of water added so I'm not forcing fluid down him. Not sure if I should.  I am so worried now.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1695 on: December 28, 2008, 14:41:19 PM »
Can you ring the vet?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1694 on: December 28, 2008, 14:06:50 PM »
no, just the sainsbury's ultra clumping. He's just been again; it's every 2 hours or def less than 3 today. He's eating ok so far and is now resting again. You know how it is, any change makes me so scared.

Link to CatChat