Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404317 times)

Offline sylvie

• Adult Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1773 on: January 05, 2009, 15:27:37 PM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: for you and Swampy.....
Every day without a smilie is a lost day !

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #1772 on: January 05, 2009, 14:59:49 PM »
Healing vibes coming my way as well    :hug:

:ahh:

I cannot find any reference to Swampy's age - can anybody tell me how old he is?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1771 on: January 05, 2009, 14:28:49 PM »
Wondering how he is doing?  If  you managed to speak to the vet or anything?   :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1770 on: January 05, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »
Oh poor Swampy, it must be so distressing for you and for him all i can do is send mega mega vibes and hope he trys to stay calm till his own vet is back, lots of hugs for you   :hug:  :hug: :hug:  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1769 on: January 05, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Come on Swampy boy - hope he manages to get a decent sleep and can calm down and stop being agitated and circling.  It must be so distressing for him and for you.  Will check regularly for updates.  Love and hugs and positive vibes coming your way  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1768 on: January 05, 2009, 10:44:15 AM »
Swampy is very poorly. He's having some manic episodes where he just won't settle or sleep and is circling left now. I've put him back on his antibiotics as last time he came off them he was great (like saturday) and then deteriorated and when put back on to them, he improved a lot. The deterioration this time is really fast though.
But we just don't know if he will improve this time and if he doesn't, then it is too difficult for him I think.  Please send prayers and vibes for him. He is now asleep after so many hours awake.  His vet is back on wednesday and we are hoping that at least he can rally until then.  I'm going down to speak to the new locum about trying to keep him calm, at lunchtime I think.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1767 on: January 05, 2009, 10:01:29 AM »
Good morning, I do so hope you can report a calmer night and that you all managed to get some rest.  Loving hugs for Swampy and you all on this cold, icy and snowy morning in Manchester. x

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1766 on: January 04, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »
 just a thought  hes going in cycles could you write down each day and then maybe work out a routine of what to give where and when and maybe stabalise hima bit more 

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1765 on: January 04, 2009, 11:25:55 AM »
He did have quite a busy day yesterday though.   I wonder if that could be connected.  You know he feels better so does more and that makes him feel rough the next day.  Hope things don't get any worse x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1764 on: January 04, 2009, 11:18:30 AM »
He's predictably not quite as good today. The coming off a.bs bounce is usually just about 36 hours. I wish I knew why coming off them improves things, then he starts to circle when stressed in the opposite direction than before he walked straight. Then goes back on to a.bs and all goes well for another few days - the vets are baffled and it's not typical of 'normal' vestibular disease or lesions, where they always stress circle the same way when they do it. But he's been a purrbag this morning too and has eaten quite a bit. Few more yells, which may be the vivitonin, so I may not give that tomorrow.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1763 on: January 03, 2009, 22:12:52 PM »
He's a superstar and I am glad you managed some sleep x

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1762 on: January 03, 2009, 21:32:37 PM »
Good old Swampy  :Luv:  its days like this that help you through the bad ones, still sending mega vibes and hope he and you both have a good night,  :hug:  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1761 on: January 03, 2009, 21:18:29 PM »
I got about 3 hours sleep last night as OH did a shift in here, but I kept waking up thinking I could hear him and he needed help (OH sleeps like several logs all at once, but it was just me being neurotic). Tonight I think he'll do until 3 or 4 am as well. Swampy is going I think to get his steroids at 11 (almost 48 hours); he is coping without them so far. A bit less appetite and not as vocal and needs a bit of help, but generally calm with mega purrs and I got chin kisses. Right now he's off on a wander. But I know we are day 1 off the a.bs, which traditionally is good and he walks completely straight lines and finds his stuff. Then, if it's like before, he starts turning the other way from before - it is so weird. So far we manage this by rather randomly going on and off a.bs, because when he's back on them, the first days have been good too (again the vets are baffled).  He is my sweet old man (just found his water bowl, bless him) and I love him so much I could pop.

This afternoon he got out of bed, walked up to the kitchen where his plate has always been on some phone books, had a sniff (no plate) and had a good shout about where was his nosh. It sounds like such a little thing, but it made me very happy.

night night, let's hope for a good one for everyone  :hug: :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1760 on: January 03, 2009, 19:08:59 PM »
Well if he can have a couple of days break by not having the abs then go with it Kate.  Whatever helps helps.  Hopefully he has had a good day and you have managed some relaxation as I know you wont have slept!  Lots of calming vibes coming from Manchester to Swampy et al. xxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1759 on: January 03, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »
just got the bill from the other vet for the home visit - almost twice what my normal vet charges and an extra £45 for taking bp  :shocked: I hope the insurance cover it and feel a bit stupid for not asking, but presumed the charge was about the same and the bp measurement included. I'm still glad he came though as he's a good vet, but think I need a zylkene myself now.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1758 on: January 03, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »
Glad to hear you had a reasonable night sending more vibes that he has a peaceful day today and hugs for you  :hug:  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1757 on: January 03, 2009, 10:01:22 AM »
No, I agree Gill. I think diazepam's for emergency use only.  Swampy had a quieter night off the a.bs - this happened last time, lasted 2 days or so then he had to go back on them. Vets have no idea why coming on and off them helps for a bit. I didn't give vivitonin this morning either - think will do every other day but all subject to how he is. He is still restless and walking, but has been more purry so less manic and less vocal. Still too many tiny wees and eating often.
We've decided to push the steroids back a bit and see if it helps or not. Only one way to find out. 48 hours will be tonight; he was going to have them 11.30am which is 36hours. Both vets have suggested giving that another go. We only tried it once and he only made 40 hours. At least with those meds, not the abs, you can see how things go and adjust.
Swampcat is not asleep but is resting. He found his tray at least this morning a couple of times and the water. We'll have to see how that goes later on without the vivitonin or steroids - I have a feeling we may not make 11 tonight without another dose.

thanks to everyone for the vibes and hope the sun's out with you, even if it's cold xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1756 on: January 03, 2009, 02:04:06 AM »
Just posted on another thread about valium/diazapam and would not use that cos likely to make him eat more and get very hyper before he starts to fall over and get groggy.....wouldnt have thouight that a good drug for a cat in swampys situation.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1755 on: January 02, 2009, 20:44:24 PM »
All the vibes I have coming to help Swampy at this time.  Come on Swamps xxxx  Hope you all have a restful night and Swampy can stay calm.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1754 on: January 02, 2009, 18:56:11 PM »
having an early evening sleep like a baby. You'd not know anything was wrong to look at him with Max, curled up in their warm green bed with their heads on each other. His weight is good, coat is shiny and he's still strong. No more meds tonight and please send vibes that from tonight things are better for him mentally as a result. xx  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1753 on: January 02, 2009, 15:38:58 PM »
Hope he settles poor boy,, keep us updated Kate and you know where I am x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1752 on: January 02, 2009, 15:25:13 PM »
just spoke to the vet who doesn't think it's dementia (too sudden onset) but is more likely a neuro symptom following on from his accident and says to just try cutting the a.bs and perhaps vivitonin (that pumps blood to his head and may not be helping) and possibly push the steroids out to every 48 hours IF possible, to see if it helps at all. He also said I could give a 1/4 valium at night which might help although may make him a bit wobbly for 12 hours. So I'll start by cutting the meds where possible, warning the neighbours when I see them, trying to stimulate Swampy a little bit by taking him for twice daily walkies down the passage, which he seems to like judging from the purring (we all think he gets bored). Last week he was sleeping an awful lot, now manic behaviour - it's sudden changes so potentially able to change back again. At this stage, anything is worth a try and all pills can be started again if necessary.

off to rest as he is finally snoring with his head on Max's ample tum.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #1751 on: January 02, 2009, 12:04:50 PM »
Maybe this is his way of saying he isn't coping well though Kate. He could be eating more because he isn't aware he has eaten recently, which is common with dementia. It is hard when they start yowling though
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1750 on: January 02, 2009, 11:38:52 AM »
I've always struggled with sleep - actually I don't think someone who usually sleeps very well (like OH) could have done all this disturbed night stuff with Swampy since Sept.  I forgot to say last night he found his tray every 2 or so hours as well, so it could have been worse. Generally he finds stuff better at night during this illness, possibly because night time is wakey time with cats, who knows.  But it's 10 mins each up time, then I can't just go back to sleep. He is so sweet when I go to him as well, loving and purry. I always have sworn that any decision is not to be because I can't cope, but because he can't cope. But I am really struggling. I can't just leave him to shout as the neighbours' bedroom shares the wall with this lounge/kitchen. The vet says to let him walk and shout and he will get tired, but it's so tricky. I can only really do that in the daytime.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:48:51 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1749 on: January 02, 2009, 11:30:59 AM »
I don't know what to suggest other than automatic feeder but he may not be able to find his way and you would be worrying about that I guess.  Can you put on a sleep mask or something in the day because Kate you cannot continue with this interrupted sleep indefinitely or you will be really ill yourself.  Anyway hope he has the best day he can little love. x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1748 on: January 02, 2009, 11:13:56 AM »
at the moment, what he seems to need (dementia? or his neuro or both?) is to be fed a little bit every 2 hours, day and night. If not then he gets upset and cries and won't settle. I was up at 1, 3, 5, 6, 7.30 with his a.bs and then 9 with his other meds. I am so tired, I don't know what to do to be honest. He is suddenly eating quite a bit more than at any time since he was ill and is physically robust. Just a week ago I was ordering Pepcid as he was off his food a bit. But I have to find a way to get just 3 hours sleep a night. I can't sleep in the day and anyhow he gets up then too. I don't know obviously how long he will do this for.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1747 on: January 02, 2009, 11:03:44 AM »
Bit late with my morning wishes but here they are nevertheless. Hope you all had some quality sleep and that there is a sunshine patch for Swampy today  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1746 on: January 02, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
Happy New Year to the Swampy Camp

I'm glad his vet visit went well

Here are loads more vibes from us  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1745 on: January 02, 2009, 09:13:23 AM »
Hope you both managed to get some sleep last night, still sending healing vibes for Swampy and hugs for you  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1744 on: January 02, 2009, 08:34:25 AM »
Sending a gentle snuzzle for Swampy this morning.   :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1743 on: January 01, 2009, 20:24:01 PM »
Here's hoping you had a good day (or at least a decent one) and that you can all sleep well tonight
 :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1742 on: January 01, 2009, 14:05:12 PM »
Happy New Year Kate, sending mega vibes and healing for Swampy and lots of  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: for you and OH and pray this was as you said just a blip

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #1741 on: January 01, 2009, 13:16:59 PM »
Sending lots of New year wishes to you, Swampy, Max and OH  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1740 on: January 01, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
Hoping he WILL be better, positive vibes and love for Swampy.  Lots of snuggles with Max too x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1739 on: January 01, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
Happy New Year to everyone and a big hug to you all and our heartfelt thanks for all your love and support for Swampy  :hug:

He wasn't too bad (although not as good as when the vet visited, which seems to happen) last night but from 6 - 8 this morning we had an awful time with him. He's been manic. I think he was hungry, but became very upset and stressed and vocalised a lot and would not settle (he got food but maybe not what he wanted?) and it took quite a while to calm him; he wouldn't even purr when held. He is now very tired and sleeping at last with Max. Max gave him a nice all over bath too. Please when you can send prayers and vibes that that was a blip and he will be better.
lots of love from a grey London xx  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1738 on: January 01, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Happy New Year to you all and I hope last night was calm.  Hoping for a good day for you today and many many goods days throughout 2009.  Big hugs :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #1737 on: December 31, 2008, 21:52:42 PM »
Not the inside of ears, the outside please.  ;D

Happy New Year  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1736 on: December 31, 2008, 19:30:19 PM »
And from me too, hope you have a peaceful night and Swampy, still sending healing vibes for you all,  :hug:  :hug:  HAPPY NEW YEAR 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #1735 on: December 31, 2008, 19:17:23 PM »
Just wanted to wish you a happy new year too as I won't be staying up. Glad the vet's visit was not too bad. I think the Bach remedies can be dabbed just on the inside of the ears, sure I remember reading that somewhere.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1734 on: December 31, 2008, 19:09:05 PM »
Just popped on to wish you all a Happy New Years Eve with lots of snuggles and purrs.  :hug:

Link to CatChat