Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404307 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1853 on: January 14, 2009, 19:46:07 PM »
It's a difficult one and I have said more in my pm reply to you.  You are over tired and over stretched and you need a break and I just so wish I was nearer.  I do understand what you are saying about the crate so forget it, it was a daft suggestion and ill though through.  We will all have to get our heads together on Purrs to see if between us we can think of something to help you.  Swampy seems to be doing as well as he can, it is you who needs the help right now. xxxxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1852 on: January 14, 2009, 19:17:42 PM »
well what's so hard (for us, it's good for him) is he isn't just stressed all the time but does enjoy his life too. This morning he loved his trip to the bedroom down the passage. He also loves being picked up and cuddled. And eating his nosh, even if it's k/d he likes it. And curling up and mutual grooming sessions with Max. My diary shows the stress is shorter episodes. But my job is full time with him, to keep them short, if that makes sense?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1851 on: January 14, 2009, 18:51:02 PM »
He doesnt seem to be having much fun at the moment does he ?
poor baby seems so stressed, it cant be much fun for him *kisses to Swampy*

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1850 on: January 14, 2009, 18:47:41 PM »
The crying is definitely because he can't see. It just isn't the case that cats always adapt well to loss of sight. He finds it the most stressful of everything and I'm sure it's that, rather than his brain injuries, why he wants and likes constant attention. He adjusted brilliantly to going deaf - it took me months to even realise he was deaf and he travelled with no probs to France and back, enjoying the sun out there, while deaf. He's had a sleep this afternoon, then got up and needed some help - or he got it because I can't just let him wander for longer than 5 minutes. Now he's gone back to his bed with Max, having had a snack. I am hugely upset by the idea of putting him in a crate for a few hours. I know it seems like a good idea as you're right, I have to get some sleep but I can't do it. When he wakes up, he would hit the bars and panic. I would rather he wandered and wet the carpet if he was having one of his confused moments and missed the tray. That time I fell asleep and didn't hear him and he wet the kitchen floor, he just sat down and as soon as I picked him up, he was fine. He also needs to be with Max and no way would Max tolerate being shut in a crate I promise you. The whole building would hear Max in full throttle. Then his stress would set Swampy off too.
We'll have to find another solution to be honest. His big enemy is stress; he's otherwise happy in himself and physically not bad at all, which is why we keep going.  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1849 on: January 14, 2009, 16:28:59 PM »
Kate give the crate a try, don't lock him in it at all at first, just let him go in and out of it until he gets used to it.  You can stay with him the first few times.  I honestly think it is worth trying.  Let him get used to it gradually, however long it takes.  Maybe the crying is because he can't see and hear and he is just letting everyone know he is around?  Does he seem distressed when he is crying?  Could you sort of walk with him very close to him>?  Just ideas!  Hope he settles  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1848 on: January 14, 2009, 15:44:21 PM »
got 4 hours sleep last night and am going to need it. Swampy is so restless. He is walking ok and finding stuff, but he just won't settle for more than an hour, then is up and off again and he cries after a minute or two's wandering. I pick him up and there are lots of purrs and chin kisses. Sometimes feeding him calms him, but it's not always food, or tray, or water.  OH says to just leave him to walk and don't react to his crying, but it is so hard. He and Max are now eyebrow nuzzling so he may sleep for an hour.....the vet offered to lend me a crate but I spoke to OH and we can't do it. Swampy would panic I think because he's blind. Plus would have to put Max in it too and the joint decibel level would be horrendous. I may as well just leave him wandering around the room at night as do that.
He had a wander down the passage and a "peek" out of the window at 2 fat canoodling pigeons (I told him they were there!).

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1847 on: January 14, 2009, 11:04:45 AM »
Aww way to go Swamps for playing with Max.

More vibes and hugs for you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1846 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:24 AM »
Just popped on to see if Swampy, Max and OH between them managed to cover the night shift or part of it and that you, Kate, got some much needed sleep.  Hope the day dawns calm for Swamps x

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1845 on: January 13, 2009, 20:42:54 PM »
Im glad you managed to catch a little bit of sleep today,hope Swampy settles tonight so you can both catch a bit more, hugs for all  :hug: :hug: :hug: 
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1844 on: January 13, 2009, 19:47:28 PM »
Wow he played I am impressed.  He seems so up and down and yet his spirit is so much there and apparent.  WTG Swamps you show Max who is boss. Hope you have a restful night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1843 on: January 13, 2009, 19:23:37 PM »
Mid afternoon he was crying, so he ate, then up again, wouldn't settle....put him back and plonked Max in with him in the bed. They started a sort of hyper mutual grooming, which ended in a real playfight - paws batting and ears back. That hasn't happened for a long while. Since then, he's had a couple of hours' sleep at last so I had some rest. A curse being a bad sleeper and not able to sleep in the daytime  - it's dark enough!

The vet emailed that the vet who knows about Selgian is away until next week so I can start it this week and see, or can wait and he will try to possibly speak to her then. I've asked him to as it's not a drug he uses and it may work, or it may be one of those anti depressants where the only first effects you get for weeks are side effects and the positive (if there is one) takes weeks. I've also asked him to ask about side effects. All we know is that it's a calming agent, not supposed to have major sedative effects like diazepam or anything, but if no good it can be stopped without notice.

Swampy's hyperactivity coincides with cutting his antibiotic dose to 1 a day, which the vet now prefers. It may equally have nothing to do with that though. Just hoping for some more snores. OH has (rashly: he's tired from work, still not yet back) promised a few hours in here tonight to give me 3 hours sleep.  His Maxness is sneezing away and Swampy is giving him bath no 5 of the afternoon right now. Long post sorry, but full Swamp-update. thanks for being there for us  :hug: xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1842 on: January 13, 2009, 18:37:05 PM »
A gentle snuzzle for Swampy, and a hug for you Kate.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1841 on: January 13, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »
Oh dear not a good night then?  I know what you mean about the confined space but could you get him used to it gradually?  If not then we will have to all try to think of something else to ease things.  Let's hope he has a calm day  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1840 on: January 13, 2009, 10:12:35 AM »
I'm not sure what to do. Only got 2 hours sleep in 2 bits approx again as he kept getting up and waking me. He had 3 meals between 11pm and 5.30am and when he wants something, he lets me know! He had his steroids at 11 so a bit of activity is sure, but he's been restless again even this morning. Hope he will settle today and especially tonight, as don't feel too good with all this sleep deprivation to be honest. I rest, but my heart rate is fast from lack of sleep. I think putting him in an more confined space would freak him out because he's blind and it would be unfamiliar. Even when he's finding stuff ok (half the night) he still vocalises which wakes me up (through earplugs too).

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1839 on: January 13, 2009, 08:44:30 AM »
Morning Swampy peeps.  Hope your night was restful and that Swampy got rid of the grumps.  Perhaps he was cross cos you dared go out and leave him? Plenty of vibes coming your way for a good day. :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1838 on: January 13, 2009, 08:40:32 AM »
Good morning, hope you both had a reasonable night  and managed to catch some sleep, :hug:

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #1837 on: January 12, 2009, 23:58:20 PM »
Hope Swampy has a good night tonight Kate x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1836 on: January 12, 2009, 23:00:28 PM »
I got back quicker than I thought, as had got the day of my appointment wrong  :Crazy:  I was out for 2 hours and he was just waking up when I got back. He's been quite grumpy tonight and has slept a lot this afternoon so I'm hoping that he does sleep a bit tonight as could use a bit of shut eye! But it's now time for his steroids so by 3am he should be wide awake.....it's warmer too so I may risk turning off the heating tonight. Hope you all have a good one  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1835 on: January 12, 2009, 21:35:51 PM »
How did Swampy manage while you were out? was he okay,i hope so and that you didnt worry to much,sending vibes for a peaceful night and hope you both manage to get some sleep  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1834 on: January 12, 2009, 20:19:26 PM »
Hope Swampy managed whilst you were out. Hope you are feeling much better.  Hope you all had a good day.  Hope you all have a quiet night.  Lots of hopes and loads of love and vibes xxxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1833 on: January 12, 2009, 15:22:16 PM »
There isn't much else you can do really Kate if you have to go out.  The only thing I can think of is to get him used to being in a crate for a while each day so at least you know he is safe?  Not ideal I know and glad you managed some sleep x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1832 on: January 12, 2009, 12:25:11 PM »
got a bit of sleep thanks, although was up as usual 3x with the Swampcat between 12 and 6am - the key though is how fast does he settle after getting me up and it wasn't too bad (although he wanted a walk about at 3.30am and some company for 1/2 hour). Today he did a giant poo (sorry! but true) so I hope his tum may now feel better. I have to go out this afternoon from 4 - 6 so am worried that he'll need help while I am out.
I still can't get used to just leaving him and hoping he's ok and can find his tray and back to bed without too much stress.
His coat is like silk so think the Kaminox must be agreeing with him.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1831 on: January 12, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »
Hope you are feeling better this morning and managed at least some sleep.  Hope Swampy is calm today and you can at least rest up a bit x

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1830 on: January 12, 2009, 08:30:31 AM »
Sorry to hear your not feeling tp good please take care of yourself :hug: hope Swampy had a good night so you were also able to catch some sleep :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1829 on: January 11, 2009, 20:28:51 PM »
Oh dear flu not nice!  I do hope you haven't got this dreadful bug which everyone seems to be catching (touch wood I haven't) cos it knocks you flat on your back.  Also with you being so tired etc I think it will make you feel really rotten.  Fingers crossed it's just a run of the mill cold.  glad Swamp's day wasnt too bad and hope you all get a decent night's sleep  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1828 on: January 11, 2009, 19:19:33 PM »
I just gave it later on. He's not been too bad today and please send mega vibes for calm as I think I am getting the flu  >:(

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1827 on: January 11, 2009, 16:07:18 PM »
Can't help with your questions but glad he had a quieter night.  Hopefully his day will have been calm too xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1826 on: January 11, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »
OH took over for a few hours last night so I feel a bit more human today. Swampy apparently had quite a reasonable night, was calm. I'm going to give Pepcid at lunchtime as he's eating, but not that well. I think you can't give it around other meds for a couple of hours, but does anyone know if it's ok to give it at the same time as Cystease? Otherwise will give Cystease later on?

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1825 on: January 11, 2009, 09:43:56 AM »
Sorry you didnt have such a good night,would Swampy eat a bit of tuna mixed with rice or chicked, i know sometimes when one of my lot doeasnt want to eat that always manages to tempt them, or a bit of rice pudding maybe,anyway im sending mega mega vibes for him today :Luv: hope you can have a peaceful day  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1824 on: January 11, 2009, 08:20:30 AM »
A bit of yoghurt eh?  Hope he wasn't too unsettled during the night and that you have a decent day together.  Will check back later as am off to work in a mo sigh :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1823 on: January 10, 2009, 23:00:30 PM »
back on the 2 hourly 'visits' now. He wouldn't eat much of his food mixed with Zylkene (vain attempt for peaceful night!) but he did enjoy licking out my yoghurt pot. I know it's got sugar in it, but he loves it. night night xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #1822 on: January 10, 2009, 22:03:04 PM »
 :'( :'( Baby xxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1821 on: January 10, 2009, 21:51:47 PM »
Oh how lovely that he smelled the fresh air.  Bless him.  I hope he settles down again and you all have a wonderful night - well you know what I mean, can't really be wonderful but as good as possible   :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1820 on: January 10, 2009, 20:20:25 PM »
Sorry to hear that you havent had such a good day,but im glad he enjoyed his breathe of fresh air, hope you both manage a reasonably peaceful night, and catch some sleep , loads of vibes still coming for Swampy and hugs for you and Max :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1819 on: January 10, 2009, 20:16:59 PM »
shouldn't have said anything....he's off colour this evening. Most unusually had 4+ hrs between wees and won't really eat ,just wants to go back to sleep. I think I'll shove a Pepcid down later in case his eating too much earlier today has made his tum feel a bit off.
He had some excitement earlier on this afternoon when OH took him on top of the chest (the horrible IKEA one he fell off and which I am going to smash anyday) by the open window and he got very excited and stuck his head outside - his first fresh air for months poor lamb. Only 5 minutes but he does enjoy little adventures when he's feeling ok.

night all, keep warm  :hug: xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1818 on: January 10, 2009, 10:20:37 AM »
Greedy boy! No seriously am glad he is eating.  Hope he has a good day with some little nice adventures and lots of snuggles with Max and you.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1817 on: January 10, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »
freezing fog, lovely. OH was in here last night but I took over at 4.30.  Swampy's been a bit agitated, not as good as the last 2 days but has had about 3 little meals already - one has had the Zylkene in , so hope it works! Amazing how OH can sleep through a full throated yell for 'I want food'.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1816 on: January 10, 2009, 09:19:01 AM »
Its a really cold one here in Nottinghan also, i hope Swampy managed to remain calm last night and sleep ,the vibes are still winging there way to him   :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1815 on: January 10, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
Brrrrrrrr it's a cold and frosty morning here in Manchester.  Hope you all had a warm and snuggly night and that Swampy is good today  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1814 on: January 09, 2009, 20:59:13 PM »
Good night sweet dreams hopes for you all for tonight xxxxx

Link to CatChat