Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404303 times)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #1933 on: January 24, 2009, 08:58:56 AM »
Hope you all had a good night again, and that the day progresses nicely as well, its very frosty here but the sun is shining so hope it is where you are and that Swampy manages to find a nice spot to catch some :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #1932 on: January 23, 2009, 22:49:57 PM »
hope you all have a good night  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #1931 on: January 23, 2009, 22:35:27 PM »
Yes he was a bit stressy and turning right, so I picked him up and we had a bit of a cuddle all right and my chin got lots of nibbles. It makes all the nursing really worthwhile.
Swampy has had his Selgian dose upped to 1 pill. Apparently I was giving the small dog dose which is too little. Managed to chat to the vet tonight and got the run down on the meds and doses which is a relief.

night all, sleep well and hope the sun comes out tomorrow where you are. xx  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1930 on: January 23, 2009, 20:38:00 PM »
Well I hear the little man had a waltz with his mum today, how lovely.  Hope you all have a calm night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1929 on: January 23, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »
we had not too bad a night, thanks. He's a bit less calm this morning, but I'm hoping he'll settle down and have a good snooze.  He is going to take Activait as well but I need to speak to the vet today, IF possible about all the meds and how things are.
It's not bothered to get light here today, just awful. I have the SAD light on full blast.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1928 on: January 23, 2009, 07:59:41 AM »
Same here weather wise BL hope Swamps is safe and calm and warm hugging with Max  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #1927 on: January 23, 2009, 07:51:37 AM »
Well its miserable here,foggy and drizzling, type of day to stay indoors nice and snug ;) hope you had a good night and that Swampy and you managed to get some sleep,sending those vibes and hugs still for you all :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1926 on: January 23, 2009, 07:14:49 AM »
Just wanted to send an early morning snuzzle for Swampy.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1925 on: January 22, 2009, 21:17:53 PM »
good night wishes for a calm and peaceful time  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1924 on: January 22, 2009, 18:51:32 PM »
I think he's got you well trained Kate bless him
 :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1923 on: January 22, 2009, 17:40:32 PM »
Yes i know you worry about him and its only natural and no-one knows Swampy like you ,so anything different you are bound to pick up on, but please hard tho it may be try not to worry to much,it cant be good for you and im sure he picks up on this, i know hes blind but has he still got his hearing, if so have you tried leaving the radio for him,i always leave mine on for my lot,dont know if it does any good but at least its not complete silence. just a thought. anyway hope tonight is a bit better for you all and you manage some sleep  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1922 on: January 22, 2009, 17:29:46 PM »
We've got a SAD light now, that he and his mum sit under in the mornings. Much needed this morning when it barely bothered to get light. I can't say I notice it making any difference for him. He's very purry but demands attention and makes horrible noises if I don't react immediately. The tray has been visited normally thank God, one less thing to worry about at the moment. It must have been a senior moment this morning but you know how I worry about him.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1921 on: January 22, 2009, 10:05:19 AM »
Its a vile day here also, sorry to hear you had a bad night,just a thought ,could the weather be upsetting Swampy? a kind of feline SAD,i know some of my lot tend to react to weather conditions especially if its dark and windy, they get restless and wont settle.Hopefully when he went to the tray he perhaps thought he.d already been and fingers crossed he will go soon. sending some calm/healing vibes for a more settled day :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1920 on: January 22, 2009, 08:49:58 AM »
Morning, no it's a vile day here too, definitely no sun.  We had a tricky night as he was awake and crying a lot and wanted comforting (cuddles and purrs) so very senior I think. He also ate a lot during the night, about 1/2 can of K/d!  But I'm fretting because this morning he went to the tray and sat and nothing happened. He had wee'd a couple of hours earlier, so I'm so hoping that it's just a senior moment and not anything sinister. I just gave him some more k/d with a teaspoon of water added and am waiting to see what happens next time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 08:50:46 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1919 on: January 22, 2009, 08:00:57 AM »
Morning Swampy Max Kate and OH

Hope you had a lovely quiet night and some good quality sleep.  Hope you don't have as much rain today as we are having and that there is some spot of sunlight for Swampy to bask in.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1918 on: January 21, 2009, 23:18:31 PM »
Just wanted to wish you another peaceful night with Swampy, and hope you all manage some sleep again.lots of vibes and hugs for all :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1917 on: January 21, 2009, 21:44:30 PM »
Just here with my goodnight wishes.  Hope you have a quiet one with plenty of rest :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1916 on: January 21, 2009, 16:46:46 PM »
Well that's really good news Kate, WTG Swampy boy.  Maybe with the Selgian and what Sarah recommended you might get a calmer Swampy.  Hope his day and yours is good.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1915 on: January 21, 2009, 10:33:47 AM »
fANTASTIC NEWS , :wow:im so glad you managed a good night and that Swampy did too.im sure Max will forgive you if you treat him ;) and if as you say Swampy is happy if Max is then it all helps.Im sure they will be okay while your out and you will come back to 2 sleepy heads so try not to worry to much (hard i know )send more calming vibes for them while your gone and hugs for you :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1914 on: January 21, 2009, 09:18:02 AM »
what (relative) bliss, in that the Swampcat got up at midnight, 3 and 6 last night and did what he had to do without too much vocalising so I got a lovely 3 1/2 hours approx and what was better still was Max got the hump with me for not producing food for HIM (just Swamp) during the night so slept all night with Swampy in their bed.  I hope he will settle this am as have to go out and always worry when I do. I weighed them both yesterday. Swampy is now 4.7kgs, down 200g from last time.
Max now weighs in at a colossal 5.8kgs and I'm really not feeding him much. He's not big on exercise  :innocent:  but he's the happiest he's been, with me home all day, heating on etc. Him being happy helps Swampy too.
xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #1913 on: January 21, 2009, 06:55:45 AM »
Sending a little gentle chin tickle for the Yoghurt Pot Kid.   :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1912 on: January 20, 2009, 21:44:28 PM »
Just popping by to wish you all a restful night.   :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1911 on: January 20, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »
Im so happy you managed a reasonable night and hope everything is okay for the vets visit today,will send some calming vibes for Swampy :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1910 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »
thanks  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #1909 on: January 20, 2009, 09:32:59 AM »
More vibes for you all  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I have a drinkwell platinum I have found its vibrates and can be noisy when not completely full

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=776

I also had a catit previous but it was too fussy to clean and both cats prefered running water, but this one is quieter

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=363&pf_id=4193

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1908 on: January 20, 2009, 09:25:33 AM »
Are there any water fountains you recommend?  We have a PAH not too far away if I can get out and get there, otherwise would have to order online. Are their drinking areas the same size as a normal water bowl? They have a round ceramic 110mm dish. It would need to be similar or Swampy may be confused by it. I wish water smelt like 'water'!

Swampy had a better night in general. He got walked down the passage 3x before bed, but I'm not sure it was that, he just seemed to be feeling a bit better. Got me up at 1 as usual, but at 1.30 he'd wee'd, eaten and pooed so I decided to let him cry and see, especially as he was able to find stuff ok. He cried for about 10 mins, then went back to bed until 4. Won't work every night of course, but although I couldn't get back to sleep after he woke me, at least I got some rest.  He seems to have forgotten to wee so far today (last one 4.45am) as he pooed at 8, so suppose his little brain thinks he's been! I have an appointment at 3 - 4.30 so am hoping he will be ok so I can keep it.
off to interrupt the happy snores with a fortekor. I waited for him to wake up, but he's warm and cozy. xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1907 on: January 20, 2009, 07:00:02 AM »
My water fountain makes a nice running water noise and the pump isn't noisy but as pumps vibrate thought it might help.  Don't think it would be loud enough to freak Max.  Might be worth a shot.  Anything that makes things a bit easier.  Hope your night was calmer and am off to read the link you posted now.   :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1906 on: January 19, 2009, 21:55:40 PM »
Just read that article and found it very interesting as george(oldie) has started doing this day and night,i spoke to Sam about it the other day to see if she had any ideas about this, as hes almost 19 i have been monitering him closely and found his eyesight is not so good so he gets a bit disorientated when he wakes, then starts calling i have been at a loss to this issue but that article explains a lot, so now i know what to do. i leave a light on for him but i think as he wont sleep in the bedroom(took up residence on the stairs) i might just start shutting him in the spare room with his bed near the heater for his own safety.                                                                                                                                                                                               I hope your plan to tire Swampy out works and you both manage to get some much needed sleep sleep, so try and have a relative peaceful night.just had a thought on the crate idea could you possibly aquire a very large dog cage so that both Max and Swampy could share and try that for an hour to see how they settle?As i said just an idea, anyway lots of relaxing vibes on there way for all :hug: :hug:                                                                                                     

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1905 on: January 19, 2009, 21:07:09 PM »
that's not a bad idea at all about the water fountain - do they make a noise or just vibrate away and are they the same size as the average water bowl? I'm worried about change meaning he won't drink. And too much noise = Max will have a panic attack and not go near it either (Max can be daft).

I read this http://www.messybeast.com/nighttime-calling.htm

which is useful. It also mentions a crate or confined area not being stressful but the opposite. I don't know if that would apply with his brain problems, but perhaps we could try it for an hour or less and see how he gets on. I don't think I have an option with him being free-range in the lounge but to react to his cries, as he needs help to find the tray or water sometimes. If that's reinforcing his crying, probably, but I don't see how I could not do it. The only thing is how to involve Max. Lying next to Max is the best relax for Swampy.

I got him up for his pill and walked around a bit but he then got agitated and wanted his bed again. I am going to walk him down and around the passage at 10 or 10.30 tonight to try to tire him a bit so he sleeps for at least a few hours. That's the theory anyway. xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1904 on: January 19, 2009, 20:14:16 PM »
Hoping your night is peaceful and that Swamps has tired himself out during the day today  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #1903 on: January 19, 2009, 19:35:33 PM »
leaving the light on is a good idea if he has any sort of vision at all.  Lupus seems to see some objects but gets scared of others and bumps into others.  i leave the landing light on and the kitchen light.  it's funny as i suppose over the years i must have got used to it.  since reading this thread i've noticed that he has a nutty almost every night (i thought it was maybe once a week).  the noise he makes is not quite a yowl, its a yowl with a purr inside.  he does sleep a lot during the day too, something else i'd stopped noticeing.  Lupus loves yoghurt too  :Luv2:

hope you and Swampy have a good night tonight
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1902 on: January 19, 2009, 18:27:38 PM »
Its certainly worth a try,i know that sometimes George (oldie going blind ) cries in the night sometimes and if i put a bedside lamp on it seems to calm him down and he settles down again. :hug: thats a good idea for a water fountain, agaim worth a try

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1901 on: January 19, 2009, 18:24:52 PM »
It's worth a try but you might have to keep the room darkened during the day?  I had another thought, would a water fountain maybe help Swamps to find his water.  I know he is deaf but maybe the vibration of the pump might guide him?  just a thought bash me if you think it's stupid :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1900 on: January 19, 2009, 18:20:49 PM »
I've had a thought which is probably useless. Do you think if i leave all the lights on in the lounge that he may be fooled into not realising that it's the middle of the night? Has anyone tried that for nocturnal agitation or crying?  Although he is blind (and that causes most of his distress) he can, I think, distinguish light from dark. Not sure if his cat diurnal rhythm would override any attempts to fool him. He is just so much more sleepy and eats/drinks/wees less during the day; we even had a 4 hour between wees today. He can be up every hour at night and vocalises so much more.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1899 on: January 19, 2009, 12:46:29 PM »
Let's hope you can tire him out today and he can have a restful night, you too of course  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1898 on: January 19, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »
If he could see it would help so much - but he can't. He is a different cat at night than in the daytime. I just don't know what to do. The vet's now made it clear that we are on our own with any decisions too.
The only thing I know is I'm going to keep Swampy up this evening if possible so that he can be a bit more tired at night. He is so peaceful right now and has had lots of purrs for me. I'm worried if I have to leave him unattended for a few hours to get some sleep that he will wake the neighbours with his crying. It's very quiet here at night and the converted house is far from sound proof. Their bedroom is behind our kitchen/lounge wall.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #1897 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:38 AM »
it took a long time before i got used to Lupus' noisy night times and now they only happen once a week-ish.  they still wake me up but i only get up now if i hear him run into something.  hopefully swampys episodes will calm down with time  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1896 on: January 19, 2009, 10:04:02 AM »
It seems as if his body clock is sleep in the daytime and up at night!  What a shame you can't sleep in the day when he sleeps.  Hope you have a restful and calm day.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1895 on: January 19, 2009, 09:03:24 AM »
Im sorry you all had a bad night hope today will be better and hopefully get the info you want asap. sending positive vibes for you all and lots of hugs :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1894 on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:45 AM »
He did a lot of vocalising last night and was predictably very awake, having been asleep most of the day. I've emailed the vet to ask him to please speak to the FABcats vet who recommended Selgian to see if it can sometimes make dementia worse. His dementia is suddenly worse at night for no apparent reason. The other vet who came in December told me dementia usually just doesn't get 'worse' suddenly. I hope my vet will ring her - tbc. We really feel a bit on our own now.

On the bright side, he's been cheerful this morning, had a trip down the passage and he did get his yoghurt last night (of course!) and got it all over his nose again. When he was a kitten, he once got his whole face stuck in a yoghurt pot. (don't worry, Max does get some too, but he does a fine line in persecuted expressions does our Max).

Link to CatChat