Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404301 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2013 on: February 06, 2009, 08:52:14 AM »
not such a good night and he didn't shout so he missed the tray twice, but hit the puppy pads under the tray, so no harm done really.  He seems a bit more senior this morning too. He shouted for food a lot during the night and ate it all up, so I'm pretty tired.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2012 on: February 06, 2009, 07:35:28 AM »
Hiya, how did last night go, well I hope.  Look forward to your update (positive one of course).  Hope the little fella copes with his wees today and has a calm one  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2011 on: February 05, 2009, 21:09:40 PM »
Things always look worse at night and when your tired little things become major events, and you are battling both so its no wonder your stressed,it must be hard to find any time to relax because your always on the lookout and listening for Swampy,im glad to hear hes not weeing so much today and hope it continues through the night and that you both manage some sleep. sending lots of calming vibes for a restful night :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2010 on: February 05, 2009, 19:15:15 PM »
Oh dear, I can't remember what they did last time kate?  Can he have different a/bs?  Hope they can sort it out for you.  Hope, too that you all had a good day and glad you took a cab, better safe than sorry.  Hope you all have a quiet night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2009 on: February 05, 2009, 17:46:18 PM »
took a cab in the end. The vet was busy so the nurse just dipsticked the sample. I hope that is good enough (?). She says that his pH is 6 and that there is a lot of blood still in his urine, just like last time (max'd on the dipstick). I asked if they could spin the sample, but haven't heard anything back. Last time we sent a sample to the lab, which gave the same results as the spinner in-house so I was hoping for that. Anyhow today Swampy so far is peeing a lot less often. Who knows if that will change tonight. I'm trying not to stress about all of it, but when you are tired things always are more difficult.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2008 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:09 AM »
His pooing is probably because he keeps eating!  Have a safe journey to the vet and supermarket, use a cab, you can't afford to slip and hurt yourself.  Peaceful wishes for you all today  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2007 on: February 05, 2009, 09:55:17 AM »
The roads and pavements don't look good. I got Swampy's urine sample and am now waiting for him to settle as I don't want to go out while he's wandering about, but rather when he is in his bed having a zzzz. Don't want to refrigerate the sample though. Plus must get to the supermarket before they sell out of everything including cat litter!
He's peed quite often overnight but now he's also pooing a bit too often as well. I suppose the latter could be the a.bs.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2006 on: February 05, 2009, 06:46:13 AM »
Good morning Kate OH Swampy and Max.  Hope your night was quiet and hope you don't have a big freeze to contend with on you way to the vet.  Wishes for a calm day  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2005 on: February 04, 2009, 21:01:33 PM »
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2004 on: February 04, 2009, 19:35:01 PM »
LOL if you are neurotic then so am I!  Don't pre-empt and get the cab if you have to.  It may be something easily remedied.  Hope you all have a quiet night and some sleep  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2003 on: February 04, 2009, 18:17:50 PM »
He did another little wee at 6 so I rang and the vet says to bring in a sample tomorrow. No matter what the weather, I'll have to get there even if I get a minicab (car is stuck; vet is down a steep walking hill which is pretty iced up....).  I asked if I could give more cystease and he said up to 2 a day should be safe and worth a try. He's had about 1 1/2 today so far. He doesn't seem in pain and is happy in himself (currently giving Max an eyebrow bath).
I find myself staring at his deposits in the tray to see if I can 'see' any blood or anything. It was all going reasonably well too; he was even up to 5 or 6 hours between wees when fast asleep. When he was awake, it was more like 2 1/2 - 3 hours so this is much more often. I shall try not to worry too much or anticipate bad news, but you know how it is with neurotic mum.

thanks again  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2002 on: February 04, 2009, 17:49:53 PM »
Kate try not to worry too much (ahem), a day at a time.  Get your sample in, get it checked and check on the side effects of the meds.  It may be the dementia or he might just have a little urine infection and need a change of a/b's as he could have developed a tolerance to the ones he is on.  big hug to you  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #2001 on: February 04, 2009, 17:02:10 PM »
 :hug: :hug: for the whole Swamp family xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2000 on: February 04, 2009, 16:34:35 PM »
Oh dear Kate try not to get stressed, :scared:,i know thats easy for me to say but you really need to stay calm for Swampy and for yourself,  do you think this excessive weeing is down to some of the drugs hes on? could youhave a word with your vet for some advice, i know your taking a sample in tomorrow but could you ask today if any of his drugs have side effects like weeing.im sorry if im not being much help :doh: but i do try :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1999 on: February 04, 2009, 16:16:04 PM »
I'm stressing again as Swampy has wee'd 4 times since 10.30am and including 2 just an hour apart this afternoon. I am due to take in a sample tomorrow to the vet. He's been better just until recently but today's the worst.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1998 on: February 04, 2009, 08:21:42 AM »
We will always be here for any of the Purrs peeps that need us.  Hope Swamps had a quiet night and you managed a bit of sleep (a lot of sleep I mean really but am trying to be realistic) :)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1997 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »
Belonging to Purrs is like having family and when one of the family has problems then we all rally to help or offer moral support,its the least we can do  :hug: :hug: and we all like to be kept update with any progress or problems :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1996 on: February 04, 2009, 07:43:02 AM »
OH had to work until midnight so volunteered to stay in here until 2am, which took one of the night calls away and let me get a couple of hours. (I can't sleep during the day  :censored:)! That's what it's turning into (night shift work) as Swampy's cat rhythms get him up and even if he finds his loo just fine, he shouts for food and won't settle until he gets some. I think if he didn't have to have pills during the day, he'd not eat nearly as much during the day. I give him a snack after his pills always too. At least I suppose he is eating well!  Lately in the night he has done one very loud shout. Then if it's not responded to immediately, it becomes a longer shout. Lovely at 2am that. What's changed too is sometimes he gets up an hour after using the tray, so it's not just getting up for the tray. Max then gets fed up and I think jealous and bounds up into the mezzanine (thinking positive, that is exercise for the sedentary Max!) and starts singing in his truly terrible voice. The mezzanine is incredibly un sound proof as I found out the other day and also borders my neighbour's bedroom. OH was on the phone up there (it's his office at home) and I was outside the flat and could hear every word.

It's been all going on so much longer than anyone, including the vet, thought it would with my little Swampy. I just wanted to thank everyone, whether or not you post, for being there for us all this time. Your support means so much  :hug: xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1995 on: February 04, 2009, 07:19:08 AM »
Would that be you Kate :evillaugh: i do hope he settled and allowed you some sleep, but if not im sure he will allow you some today, :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1994 on: February 03, 2009, 22:31:43 PM »
One of us is sleepy, guess which one?! I'm going to try to give him a good meal and hope he will settle. He's already started with his 1 1/2 hour trip to the tray, having been 2 1/2 - 3 all day....!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1993 on: February 03, 2009, 20:12:42 PM »
Good night wishes for a sleepy one  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1992 on: February 03, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »
Oh no, sorry you had a rough night but glad he wasn't manic.  Bless him it's no fun getting old is it?  Hope you all have a peaceful day and that you can at least get to relax as I know you wont sleep.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1991 on: February 03, 2009, 08:28:20 AM »
Sorry you both had a bad night if Swampy sleeps today you may also be able to grab some much needed sleep too :tired: Dont go looking for problems, is he actually weeing when he goes to the tray?sounds silly but could you monitor(if not already ) whether he wee,s a lot or is it just a couple of drops  ,if its just a couple of drops he,s probably forgot hes already been,Im having a similar problem with George, not the weeing bit but yowling through the night (every 2 hours ) for food hes in the early stages of dementia and even tho i leave biscuits down for him and a little bit of wet food he forgets where it is and then starts yowling cause hes hungry,funny thing is tho he never forgets where his water bowl is,anyway i hope you manage to get some sleep today and sending some calming vibes for Swampy :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1990 on: February 03, 2009, 06:47:35 AM »
One of those nights. Although he found everything and was walking fine, he still shouted for food all the time. He went to the tray at 2, 3.30, 4.30 and 6.30am which is obviously way too often. I have kept feeding him but he won't settle for long. At some point today he is probably going to just want to sleep. He's quite calm and purry but it's really tiring for us both. I just hope that the weeing isn't a urinary problem but is him forgetting that he doesn't really need to wee yet again.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1989 on: February 02, 2009, 19:07:34 PM »
Am hoping you all had a decent day and that you get some rest tonight  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1988 on: February 02, 2009, 08:30:57 AM »
Good to hear Kate, hope it continues.  Snow here so I am in hibernation but Charlie is whizzing round.  Read his latest antics on the Help (general cat chat).  Hope Swampy and Max enjoy some cuddles but also hope Swampy does some adventuring to tire him out  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1987 on: February 02, 2009, 08:27:56 AM »
Im pleased to hear you had a reasonable night with Swampy :) and hope today is just as good and that he remains calm, it very cold here in Mansfield to and we have a covering of snow as well and from the looks of the sky more to come, :wow:hope you all mansge to keep warm and snug :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1986 on: February 02, 2009, 08:16:02 AM »
not too bad a night and early am. There's a few inches of snow here (London has ground to a halt lol) and it's very cold so the heating's on full blast next to their bed (which is under the radiator). Hope everyone's keeping warm.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1985 on: February 01, 2009, 22:00:22 PM »
Its nice to hear that you had a calm day and i hope that will go for the night as well and that Swampy has tired himself out and gets some rest :hug:sending lots of calming vibes for him and hugs for you all :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1984 on: February 01, 2009, 20:50:04 PM »
thank you  :hug:  Swampy has been up a lot today and visiting the tray often as a result. The opposite of yesterday, but he is calm and so far is walking ok, just it's odd what happens. I hope he will sleep tonight after his very awake day, but think he may just keep getting up through the night as he's done that before. Of course I worry about him peeing so often again, whereas yesterday he was going 5 - 6 hours without getting up. It's very difficult to lie in bed while he's up and walking as I feel I have to get up and help him out, but I help him and settle him, then he's off again.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1983 on: February 01, 2009, 20:36:17 PM »
How's today been for you all?  Hope the night is full of sleep and peace.  Sweet dreams  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1982 on: February 01, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »
Yes it would be fine if Swampy slept an awful lot, because he is older than his 17 years in his brain anyhow because of his troubles. Max is only 15 but kips most of the time and just gets up to eat (ahem) and use the tray and drink. Swampy's always got up more often and now with his brain stem injury he has times when he won't settle. So it's unusual, but quite welcome. It won't last though I'm sure! We've had a lovely cuddle this morning and he's now really curled up in snore mode.  OH spent most of last night in here (I am on duty from tonight for the week) and said he had to get up twice, which is ok.
It's very cold here too so up north and east must be even worse.
 :hug: xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1981 on: February 01, 2009, 07:47:40 AM »
Good morning ,hope your night was,nt too eventful and that you all managed to get some sleep and keep warm in this bitter cold weather thats decended on us again :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1980 on: February 01, 2009, 07:02:20 AM »
Morning, how was your night?  Hope it was full of nice warm and snuggly zzzzzz's?  Hope the same will be true of your Sunday.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1979 on: January 31, 2009, 20:51:15 PM »
You know Kate, when my Guinness (RIP) was 18 she used to sleep all the time and just get up for meals and wees and poos

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1978 on: January 31, 2009, 20:34:22 PM »
Swampy has slept all day. I had to wake him twice for meds or to remind him he may want to use the tray. Will probably be awake all night. It's very unusual. We went out briefly and I rushed back to make sure he was not alone when he got up but he just must have needed to sleep today. He was last up at 2.15 and if he hadn't had to have his pills at 8pm, he'd have kept on zzzzing.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #1977 on: January 31, 2009, 20:03:27 PM »
Glad to hear Swampy is calmer :Luv: and that you managed to get some much needed sleep. fingers crossed that the night is peaceful for all. sending lots of positve vibes :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1976 on: January 31, 2009, 19:46:25 PM »
Hope your day was better than mine!  Positive vibes for a peaceful night for you all  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #1975 on: January 31, 2009, 08:15:33 AM »
I got some sleep, not too sure about Swampy and OH though as OH was in here last night. OH is now catching up but was too tired to keep any notes but I think he said Swampy was calm but up a lot. That seems to be the way of things now.
This morning he's eaten 2 meals, had his pills and had a good cuddle and is now working on another furball (licking Max).

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #1974 on: January 31, 2009, 06:48:39 AM »
Morning, how was your night?  Hope the little fella maintained his calm and you all got some sleep?  :hug:

Link to CatChat