Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404298 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2053 on: February 13, 2009, 10:38:07 AM »
the vet wants me to double the dose to 1/4 istin, but I've asked to stay at 1/8th. I think Swampy was feeling a bit odd after his pill yesterday adjusting to how it makes him feel - it apparently works straight away to lower bp. He ate so much during the night too, more than he normally does. I don't want to make big changes for him.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2052 on: February 13, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »
Hope the little Swampster had an ok night and you managed some sleep.  Hope too that your day progresses peacefully  :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #2051 on: February 12, 2009, 21:03:49 PM »
*hugs* for Swampy!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2050 on: February 12, 2009, 20:56:44 PM »
Just on quick as have visitors , hope you have a quiet night and get some rest.  Will pm you first thing in the morning  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2049 on: February 12, 2009, 16:11:06 PM »
He got up a short while ago and was totally dotty in a nice sort of way although was shouting and a bit vestibular. It took yet another little meal to calm him and now he's snoring again. I hope it's a period of adjustment as he clearly feels "different" on Istin and finds that a bit stressful. Vet has explained that food does calm btw. Much like us with comfort food's effect on the brain.

I googled pet bp monitors and they are not £700 (that may the 'cheapo' that fortekor co do!), more like £2000+.  I think I'll have to email Animal Friends to tell them home visits may be necessary more frequently (2 in 2 months isn't exactly abusing it so far, is it?) while his bp is monitored and to check with my vet if needs be.  I'm amazed actually that there isn't a cheapish bp monitor for sale in America - human ones are so cheap now, there has to be a market for it.
I haven't been out at all, waiting for him to wake up. Was meant to go and do my 30 mins healthwise  :evillaugh: Think you are right, tea it is.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2048 on: February 12, 2009, 15:04:04 PM »
Dilemmas, dilemmas dilemmas.  I wonder if you could have just a couple of weekly home visits to see how his bp is doing?  If it's reduced and the meds aren't cranking Swamps up then perhaps you can move to a monthly visit?  I feel sad it's just not fair is it?  He does so well most of the time and these little blips keep upsetting his equilibrium.  The likelihood is he will have a stroke without the meds so it's got to be worth a few day's try?  Get some more tea  :hug:  I wonder if there is any second hand bp monitors around?  Might be worth a look see.  If there are no doubt Mark will find one for you.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2047 on: February 12, 2009, 13:19:40 PM »
This sounds a bit  :Crazy: and my heart's in my mouth, but the vet wants to be sure (fair enough, Swampy was agitated before his Istin yesterday) so, given that the powder division from the pill is so difficult into 1 1/12th of a 5mg tablet, I've just given Swampy 1/8th - or just under - using Helen @ CRF site's tweezer divider method (which works). As Swampy had his steroids at 11am, we will see what happens. The alternatives to Istin look not too clever and he will continue to have manic episodes and possibly a more severe stroke during one of them. His vestibular symptoms came from a mini stroke in October, not directly from his accident.
I am taking deep breaths and drinking lots of what Maddie's Mum calls my 'funny tea' (rooibos) and hoping that it will be ok.  It would be just wonderful if Istin worked and Swampy was better as a result, so I suppose it is worth a try. The vet seems sure that it can't work against Selgian, which had helped for almost 3 weeks until yesterday when Swampy vomited and got very agitated and during the vet's visit and poking around at him his bp went to 240.

The only problem is how to keep monitoring his bp at home (he doesn't or can't do car trips, carriers or vets any more because of the stress implications). The Fortekor co makes a home pet bp monitor, but it's £700.
I don't suppose the dear insurance co are going to be too charmed by a weekly home visit claim either. And I can't see them paying for 65% of the monitor either.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2046 on: February 12, 2009, 12:37:48 PM »
Looks like it is def the meds then.  Let us know what Alan says  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #2045 on: February 12, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »
For Swampy and you  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2044 on: February 12, 2009, 08:30:32 AM »
He slept until about midnight, then has been restless and agitated and weeing every 2 hours again. I don't know what to do. Have emailed the vet. There's no case history of Istin doing this, but he is dramatically worse again like he was 3 weeks ago. It's like the Selgian isn't working any more suddenly, which I think is unlikely.

I don't know what else would lower his bp and make him less vestibular again. I am giving him a break for a few days from a.bs to see if that helps or not. He did have a purr this morning with a little walk, but generally is just not as calm at all.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2043 on: February 12, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »
Morning, how was last night?  Hope he didn't have the same reaction as last time and that you all had a calm and peaceful night and that this continues throughout the day come on Swampy boy we love you  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2042 on: February 11, 2009, 21:13:28 PM »
Topping up the hugs.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2041 on: February 11, 2009, 20:57:13 PM »
Hope the meds do ok.  Wishes for a peaceful sleep filled night  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2040 on: February 11, 2009, 15:13:40 PM »
Big hugs and positve vibes from Manchester  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2039 on: February 11, 2009, 14:50:49 PM »
The vet spent an hour here. Swampy had regurged his lunch and vomiting is about top of the stress tree for him. So he was manic and restless. His bp is far too high, dangerous, when he is agitated (it is 70 points higher than the reading when he was calm from January, which is massive), so I have had to give him some Istin in his lunch and am praying that this time it does not cause a bad episode as he really needs it every day or he could have a stroke.
Otherwise the vet hasn't seen him for 2 months nearly and said he has lost a little weight but is looking strong and good and he can understand how hard this all is because Swampy is far from a feeble, "very sick" little cat. At least for the moment he is calmer and is zzzzing with Max in his bed.

Please send prayers and vibes that he can tolerate the Istin. Otherwise he may have to try some other meds which won't work as well or can't be taken every day and we have to risk the high bp on a daily basis.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2038 on: February 11, 2009, 08:11:48 AM »
i think Baytril can be quite a harsh antibiotic.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2037 on: February 11, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »
No advice or info re the meds but you know Swampy better than Alan and you say the effects of the bp meds last tine.  could he not just give an extra half dose of Fortekor rather than double it right up?  Mind you don't listen to me against the vet!  It was just a thought.  It's a bit like having a baby who wakes in the night for a feed isn't it>?  Anyway hope he is doing ok otherwise and you are not too tired.  Looking forward to an update once Alan has been.  Hope your day is calm x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2036 on: February 11, 2009, 07:02:15 AM »
Swampy now shouts so loud he gets right through my special order Barcelona wax earplugs! It's always for food and it seems 3x a night is what it is at the mo'. Then he only eats small amounts so I can't stuff him to make him sleep longer.
The vet's due on a home visit today also to take his bp. I do not want to put Swampy back on Istin - I know he only reacted to 1 dose, but when you live 24/7 nursing like this, you know when something is def a reaction to a drug and when it's his brain having a bad episode that will pass. So I can see that he will want Swampy on to a double dose of fortekor, as that lowers bp a bit. The other big decision is whether to change his antibiotics from synulox to Baytril.

Does anyone know about Baytril side effects or a double dose of fortekor? It all worries me (of course). thanks  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2035 on: February 10, 2009, 19:52:12 PM »
Popping in with good night wishes - have had big probs with the internet today (will reply to your pm tomorrow) - hope you all get some rest :hug: :hug:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #2034 on: February 10, 2009, 18:45:21 PM »
I hope you can get a good rest soon as you'll need that to be in top form caring for your baby!

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2033 on: February 10, 2009, 13:31:15 PM »
I jsut realised I've not topped up the swamp vibes recently - sorry  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2032 on: February 10, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »
An equally wet and dark London :-(

I don't think Swampy and 'peaceful night's sleep' go together any more, but he was very sweet and sat on my lap and purred like a tractor at whatever ungodly hours they were. He is just the most wonderful choclit monster in the world. His mum is very cooked though!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2031 on: February 10, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Morning from a wet Manchester.  Hope you all  had a peaceful and sleep filled night and hope Swampy does well again today  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2030 on: February 09, 2009, 21:41:21 PM »
im glad to hear you,ve had a better day today and hope there are many more like it,i would leave him as he is at the moment and not change anything until you need to,hope you have a peaceful night with not to many interruptions from Swampy,still sending those calming vibes tho and hugs for all :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2029 on: February 09, 2009, 20:11:49 PM »
I think he is doing really well.  He went five days last time with no blip and when the blip came it didn't last very long.  WTG Swampy big hugs to you all and hope you have a peaceful sleep filled night x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2028 on: February 09, 2009, 11:46:10 AM »
not sure, I think his vet visit may be wednesday. I just hope he is like he is today which is not too bad. He doesn't mind the futon being moved. He ate so well during the night, however ate so fast at 1 o' clock that it came back up again so I had his bed to clean too. Very poggle eyed as then it was 2.30am, 4.30 and 6.30 (all food shouting; he found the tray each time). I think I may argue to keep him on the current a.bs until they stop working - not sure. It's so hard to tell if things are better today because of his brain or the meds. I'm just glad that he is doing ok when he is doing ok.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2027 on: February 09, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »
Morning all from damp and cold Manchester, no big frost or snow thankfully, though it did snow a little overnight but too fine to do much damage.

Anyway enough of us, how was your night?  I hope you all managed some rest and that Swampy didn't mind the futon being moved too much.  Hoping your day is calm.  Is it tomorrow Alan's coming?  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2026 on: February 08, 2009, 20:40:02 PM »
It's fantastic that, all things considered, Swampy can still feel ok enough to swat at Max.  Bless his little cotton paws.  Hope the rest of your day was ok and that you all manage some sleep tonight :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2025 on: February 08, 2009, 15:36:49 PM »
 :hug: :hug: thanks xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2024 on: February 08, 2009, 15:35:17 PM »
Im so glad you managed to get some more sleep last night,i bet it was lovely watching Swampy and Max play fighting even if Max kept moving out of the way, it the little things like that that make it all worthwhile ;) just continue to take each day as it comes  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2023 on: February 08, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »
It's not too bad here, but cold. My OH was in here last night. Swampy has been helped by the selgian, we are sure of that (it's 3 weeks now since he started it on a last gasp trial, after he was so very ill we thought it was the end). He is calmer and with the a.bs, can often be better. But he gets up constantly at night, every night, which is terribly hard as it is exhausting as he gets up often and shouts, wants food or a bit of help with something. I just have to try to keep going for him as he is not (at the time of writing, I'm superstitious about these things) too bad.

This morning Max was skittish and had a little bite at him (playful) in the bed. Swampy put his ears back and bit back and then had a paw bat - he hit thin air as Max moved - and even if it was for just 5 or 10 seconds, it shows he still can do that.  He is eating very well, lots of little meals day and night and is purring. He's losing blood every day in his urine and is deteriorating obviously. But his weight is fairly stable - he's just very high care. I know things could change at any moment, but the nights are so difficult. I am cursed in that I can't sleep during the day.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2022 on: February 08, 2009, 09:14:37 AM »
Morning wishes from me too.  Manchester is frosty but bright.  No snow YET.  Hope you all had a peaceful night and managed some sleep.  Hope the day goes well and calm and the little fella enjoys some mummy hugs  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2021 on: February 08, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »
How was it last night? did you manage to have a calm night with Swampy and didnt have to get up too many times,its absolutely freezing here and the sky was bright red a few moments ago, looks like we are in for a bad day hope you all manage to keep warm today, sending calming vibes for all :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2020 on: February 07, 2009, 21:58:34 PM »
Peaceful night night wishes for our favourite boy and his family   :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2019 on: February 07, 2009, 15:25:26 PM »
Glad your night wasn't too bad.  Squeaky little Swamps.  Hope the rest of the day goes well  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2018 on: February 07, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »
OH did midnight - 5.30am so it was ok last night, but no we don't know anyone to help overnight so we just do it ourselves. The cat 'sitting' agencies round here are daytime feeders so need their sleep too as they work from 7 - 7. We don't have friends or family in the area (even if we did, doubt they'd volunteer!).
Swampy wasn't too bad but he really does like eating during the night now and makes a loud squawk like someone stood on his tail to get what he wants. I told the vet that and he thought it was hilarious. hmm.

hope everyone has a good day.  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2017 on: February 07, 2009, 07:57:10 AM »
Hope Swampy,s calmness continued through the night so you managed to get some sleep,I know its hard but you really  must have some otherwise you are going to make yourself really ill ,isnt there anyone who you trust enough to come in even if its only for one night to allow this? :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2016 on: February 07, 2009, 06:29:36 AM »
FIngers crossed he settled and you got some sleep.  Hope his is calmer today too  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2015 on: February 06, 2009, 22:34:10 PM »
He's been calmer today, but isn't eating quite as well and looks like he's waking up for the night!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2014 on: February 06, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »
Oh I wish you could get some sleep.  sleep deprivation is torture.  Can only hope the little fella calms down some today  :hug:

Link to CatChat