Author Topic: Swampy: it is his time now RIP little choc-o-late monster my love  (Read 404291 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Swampy fell, got head stuck and is in shock, pls help
« Reply #2133 on: March 01, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »
Hope Swampy's cold is better today and that you all had a rest last night.  Hope he has some sunshine to lie in today  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2132 on: February 28, 2009, 20:07:41 PM »
Fingers crossed the abs work quickly and help with Swampy,s cold,will send some healing vibes over for him and also for Max that he doesnt catch it :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2131 on: February 28, 2009, 19:35:59 PM »
Maybe I should have put him back on a.bs sooner. His cold is horrible this evening. He threw up some phlegm after coughing badly. It's also increased the vestibular symptoms as he just doesn't feel too well. I'm just hoping that noroclav works and works fast.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2130 on: February 28, 2009, 19:21:33 PM »
Bet he feels better for having a good brush, Max too.  Hope he had a good day and that your night is calm and restful xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2129 on: February 28, 2009, 13:37:34 PM »
I started him on Noroclav this morning and we'll see how he goes. He's having a bit of a senior day really with scratching at his bedding and hours between wees. Another thing I was stupid - he's been coughing and coldy and it's only when I brushed him that I realised just how much both of them are moulting. I got clouds of fur out of Swampy and a cushion full out of Max.  I'm also making OH give pills as he will have to give quite a few next weekend! He has a pill giving technique all his own - looks a bit like giving a roast chicken to a crocodile  :-: but as long as they go and stay down.

I'll ask about Orbax next week - thanks Mark  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 13:40:49 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2128 on: February 28, 2009, 07:06:32 AM »
Glad to hear he had some fun with Max.  Hope the night went well and he has a quiet day with some little adventures.  Def worth checking out the Baytril issues.  Mark is ace at finding stuff  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2127 on: February 27, 2009, 21:06:33 PM »
I read on another link that Orbax is a safe alternative to Baytril but it still seems to be the same type of drug http://www.1800petmeds.com/Orbax-prod10198.html
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2126 on: February 27, 2009, 20:54:25 PM »
thanks!   I think that there must be a reason why noroclav was chosen (it's synulox: penicillin) rather than Baytril as the latter is really designed for urinary & respiratory infections, which is what Swampy first got a.bs for, then I realised that they seemed to help in some weird way too with his vestibular symptoms, at least for a while. The vet uses Baytril a lot though and says that the blindness thing is relevant if owners give too much by mistake (Swampy is of course already profoundly blind) - but he cut a bit off the corners of each tablet so that Swampy would not have the full dose of a 5kg cat as doesn't weigh that much.  It's apparently in the same class of antibiotics that Gill's Franta had with a lot of success though & worked on the infection in his brain to stop his fits and circling. I still think I will try the noroclav again from tomorrow morning and only if it doesn't work this time at all, consider the Baytril (I will raise the CRF point with the vet too).

Swampy's had a really good week, so it's so disappointing, if predictable. Hopefully with the Istin and Selgian keeping him calm, the noroclav will still help. Things turn quickly: yesterday evening he and Max had a proper play fight in the bed, with Swampy actively batting Max with his paw and biting his head!  I wish I'd had the camera to video it. Then this morning he was more vestibular and a bit less switched on. I suppose it's like that with brains.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2125 on: February 27, 2009, 18:44:02 PM »
I would be wary of Baytril as well. I have heard lots of bad things about it. I wouldn't be happy giving it to a cat with a compromised system  :hug:

1)"Higher doses (>5 mg/kg/day) not recommended in cats; may cause blindness" -Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook Fifth edition. What is the dosage on baytril for cats? 5mg/kg/day. This is difficult to dose and be right at the dose. Do not want to go too low and be ineffective or too high and run into the aforementioned risk. The North American Companion Animal Formulary gives the same description and dosage. Usually doses are given in ranges like baytril is given with dogs as 5-20mg/kg/day (Plumb).

2) "Caution: hepatic or renal insufficiency, dehydration" -Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook Fifth edition. Now how likely is it that 17 year old cat kidneys are not working at their full 100%? Renal (kidney) insufficiency is very common in older cats and almost assumed until proven otherwise in a 17 year old cat.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2124 on: February 27, 2009, 18:32:41 PM »
Stick with the tried and tested Kate until you have the space and vet back up to try the others.  Hope Swampy does ok overnight x

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2123 on: February 27, 2009, 17:55:09 PM »
I think i would be a bit reluctant to use baytril and would stick to noroclov ,at least you know that works reasonably well, will send some positive vibes and healing vibes that you can get him back on track again :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2122 on: February 27, 2009, 17:09:03 PM »
I am too nervous to use it I think, at least for now. I have to go away next sunday morning until monday 9th evening  (can't avoid it) which I am getting in a right state about anyhow. It's just today Swampy seems worse again, having had about a week of good days. I think I will stick with the Noroclav, which may not work terribly well but he's had it many times before. All the decisions are mine, according to the vet, he says to do what I am most comfortable with as he can't see Swampy all the time.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2121 on: February 27, 2009, 15:36:34 PM »
That would scare me stupid!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2120 on: February 27, 2009, 15:17:52 PM »
He's happy and enjoyed a bit of a cuddle in the sun, but isn't walking too straight today. I am considering a.bs again from tomorrow to see if they help again. I was all for giving him Baytril until I read this and now am not sure what to do. I emailed the vet but he has an emergency surgery now and it is Friday too.
This is copied from a US vet website. It seems a rare reaction but enough to make me nervous (esp at a weekend).

Precautions

Quinolone-class drugs should be used with caution in animals with known or suspected Central Nervous System (CNS) disorders. In such animals, quinolones have, in rare instances, been associated with CNS stimulation which may lead to convulsive seizures.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2119 on: February 26, 2009, 20:00:46 PM »
Hope his cold is feeling better and he had a good day.  Hoping your night will be calm and restful x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2118 on: February 26, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »
He was up quite a bit in the night, but basically ok. I still can't decide on the Baytril - I don't want to upset things that aren't too bad but then again his cold seems not good. He ate, then threw up in the night which I think was due to post nasal drip yuk from being asleep. (I have to make the call as the vet told me to.)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2117 on: February 26, 2009, 09:53:44 AM »
I jus realised I haven't topped up the Swamp vibes for a while so here they are  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2116 on: February 26, 2009, 08:09:54 AM »
LOL hope you had a good night and that Swampy is calm and happy today  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2115 on: February 25, 2009, 18:59:47 PM »
Capt Hook is currently asleep. However he will wake up sharpish if I try to get the claw clipper out  :hug: I think I'll have to identify the ear hooking culprit claw and start with that.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2114 on: February 25, 2009, 17:48:44 PM »
Perhaps you could do one at a time over a period of days?  Hope he has had a good day and not hooked you any more.  Hope the night goes well for you all  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2113 on: February 25, 2009, 13:52:50 PM »
I've got to work out how to clip his claws as they are long. When he's tired of being cuddled, a claw comes out. A few days ago he hooked me in my forehead and hung on, which was quite sore. Today he got me right inside my ear which was worse. His claws aren't that clean either as he no longer bothers. But how to pin him down and clip them without him freaking is going to be a challenge.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2112 on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »
How wonderful.  Hope the rest of the day goes as well x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2111 on: February 25, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »
He did sleep for 3 whole hours so that was good. Then he's eaten again this morning. No Baytril as yet. I am waiting for him to be a bit worse again before giving it as the old a.bs will be out of his system later this week so he may well need a top up.
We had a lovely cuddle at 5am. He sat on my lap with his paws over my arm and vrrrrrrrr-purred. He is so soft and his coat still good, which the vet says means that his liver etc is working ok and that k/d and kaminox are helping him physically.  It's a lovely way to start the day too  :hug: xx to everyone.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2110 on: February 25, 2009, 07:37:13 AM »
Well at least he is eating and you were worried he wasn't.  Don't know that there is anything you can do until he settles again.  Hope he slept some of the night and you got some sleep.  Hope, too that your day is good. :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2109 on: February 25, 2009, 00:27:25 AM »
Still pacing a lot and eating like a maniac. He went through 48 hours and I had to regive the steroids for safety reasons. He has eaten much more than usual. He keeps getting up for more too. Could be a long night.
I'm hoping that after 12 hours he may sleep ie 1.30am (hmmm.........). He is also weeing too often, which I think is also a feature of the steroids and being up and about. They have gone to bed, but I know as soon as I leave the laptop and lie down myself, Max will come to join me and Swampy will get up again.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2108 on: February 24, 2009, 18:57:16 PM »
Well apart from the disruption to your sleep again, it is good to hear he is back on the food.  Hope you have had a good day and your night is calm  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2107 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
Steroids certainly make them more active and hungry (as they do people) Schui is awake alot of the day when they kick in and always eating, the last few days he has slept loads and just licks his food so I can see what you are saying, hope you manage to sort something  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2106 on: February 24, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »
Not crushable as they taste vile (or so it would seem from the foaming if he tastes it). He got up at 3am and paced and ate the rest of the night so I am well cooked this morning. Plus confused - 36 hours (his usual dose time period) was up at 1.30am. I will probably just give him them on 48 hours, but haven't yet decided if I give him the same dose or a bit less. And I"m not thinking too clearly either!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2105 on: February 23, 2009, 20:21:26 PM »
What a dilemma can you try 1 and and half a quarter.  Thing is they are so small, are they crushable I can't remember?  Anyway hope you can manage to sort it out and that Swampy;'s appetite improves and you have a good night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2104 on: February 23, 2009, 15:54:03 PM »
Appetite picked up a bit, but not great. Sometimes he licks but doesn't pick up much. the vet just says I must play around with the steroid dose to see what works. Not easy as there is a marked difference between 1 1/4 and 1 pill and between 36 and 48 hours. All I know is he needs steroids in order to eat but if I cut his dose a bit, he is calmer and less vestibular, but doesn't eat enough. It's very difficult. I am keen that he doesn't get 1 1/4 tablet at night (as we have been doing) as then it is so hard to look after him as he gets up constantly during the night to eat small amounts and wee. He also circles from stress more on the 'good eating' dose. So I have to make the decision tonight on whether to give him a dose or not and how much. Phew.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2103 on: February 22, 2009, 21:10:58 PM »
Hope his appetite picks up and he has a good night  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2102 on: February 22, 2009, 20:20:27 PM »
If he's still not eating tomorrow, I'll try to find some at PAH or Asda next door. Thanks  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2101 on: February 22, 2009, 18:48:26 PM »
It is yes, it is smooth like a supermeat/pate type and I only bought it as I just wish they would eat other things as they must be bored with Whiskas supermeat and like Swampy will not eat any lumps of any sort and surprisingly they did like it, it's worth a try I suppose  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2100 on: February 22, 2009, 18:41:21 PM »
thanks, I'll see what happens. Is the PAh stuff lickable pate stuff? Do they also sell hilife as we have a PAH quite near here.

I threw in the towel at 1.30 and gave his steroids (instead of waiting for 11pm) and now he's woken up with a jolt and has walked around, drunk, had a tray visit and is crying. It's so hard to find the right dose - too little and not often enough and he stops eating and just lies there, happy enough though. Too much and he goes manic but eats. I'm wondering if 1/2 steroid a day would do it. 1 1/4 every 36 hours is too much; 1 too little. He is amazingly sensitive to the dose after so long. It's something I will have to work out as the vet will delegate it to me!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2099 on: February 22, 2009, 12:26:40 PM »
I forgot about the PAH stuff - my two wont eat it, although Norman and Jeannie adored it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2098 on: February 22, 2009, 12:23:07 PM »
Schui and Byron will only really eat those types of foods Kate, Whiskas is the only one I can get them to eat, Byron had a lick of some Applaws I bought a few weeks ago but that was it.  I did however, buy some PAH senior supermeat pate last week just to see whether they woud eat that and it has 2 flavours, Chicken, and Turkey and liver and they love theTurkey and Liver and like the chicken a bit.  Best of luck getting Swampy to eat xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2097 on: February 22, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »
Applaws is flakes of chicken,  and is only complimentary. Teh only foods I know that are smooth are Hilife pate, but only the chicken and salmon ones, the tuna isn't. Sheba do terrines that are quite smooth
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2096 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »
he's quite calm - but not eating more than a nibble. So he'll have to have his steroid before 48 hours as I'm worried about the sudden decrease in what he's eating. He mostly eats k/d and a mouthful of Hills turkey senior pate. I don't know what else to try that is entirely smooth, has calories and vitamins (not junk in case it's all he eats) and he can just lick. He won't eat chunks or bits. Is Applaws like that?

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #2095 on: February 22, 2009, 08:08:40 AM »
Im glad you had a good day yesterday and hope its a sign of many more to come  :) and hope the night is just as good with not to many interruptions for you all, :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #2094 on: February 21, 2009, 23:53:03 PM »
bit of a mad spell after his cold made him sick, but otherwise a surprisingly good day. Hope there are many to come. Night all  :hug: have a good one!

Link to CatChat