Author Topic: Wilf - potential Pet As Therapy cat!  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Re: Wilf - potential Pet As Therapy cat!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »
I must admit that I was too. And it's not a one-off; it's an annual fee.

A tiny part of me initially thought that it was a bit unfair to ask volunteers to *pay* to volunteer but then I know how much enjoyment some people will get from having regular visitors (my grandmother was in a nursing home towards the end of her life and even though it was a very good place, there is always something sad and desolate about those communal living rooms etc etc etc . . .) and so if I can help by taking Wilf in then I can only see that it's a good thing. I don't know how far up the fund-raising hierarchy PAT is and so to pay for their admin fees , well, I can kind of understand that.

We'll have to see if they think Wilf is chilled enough - it's not good enough for me to say he is!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 11:58:40 AM »
I'm still surprised that you have to pay them  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
I think I got it a bit wrong yesterday - I've re-read the forms and it would seem that I have to take Wilf to visit one of the PAT local assessors NOT to the vet to see if they think he is suitable for the job. This puts a whole different spin on it as obviously I won't have to pay a vet fee.

Hurrah!

However, the assessor is on holiday until the 17th!

Oh well!

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Re: Anyone know how Wilf can be a patient/old folks visitor??!!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 18:54:55 PM »
hmm - I know. Apparently it's for the admin costs, etc. It is a shame though, because the cost is slightly prohibitive at the moment. I shall be appealing to the better nature of our vet who, over the past 16 years, we have given thousands of pounds!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 18:43:55 PM »
My goodness you want to help them and you have to pay ............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 18:40:48 PM »
hello - a quick update!

Today I received all of the forms I need to fill in to see if Wilf will be suitable (in their eyes - I already know he is a star!  :Luv2: ) I have to ask my vet to phone PAT and get another form so that he can fill in an assessment - shall have to speak with my vet as he usually charges over £22 just to walk through the door and I was wondering if he might do me a reduced charge . . . .  I also have to pay £19 a year to be a PET volunteer and so if I have to pay full whack for the consultation fee plus the volunteer fee, as well as having to get a harness for Wilf, the cost of doing it this year may be prohibitive. Like everyone, we are having to watch what we spent and shelling out £50 to be a volunteer doesn't fit into the budget at the moment (I have recently lost my job due to cuts in the education budget in our area . . .) The sentiment is most certainly there but the money isn't!

Anyway, I'll let you know what happens!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
Wilf sounds purrfect!  It would be so great as so often PAT animals are dogs only. Nothing against dogs but if I were an oldie stuck in a mizz home and missing the company of my beloved cats, it would be such a boost to have a purrbag on my lap for a bit. Very best of luck with that, let us know how many new friends he makes  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 18:43:45 PM »
I don't know if you saw the photo I posted of 2 cats (sisters) that I met at Rhodes Minnis open day?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 17:45:25 PM »
Wilf does sound a purrfect candidate  :)  Let us know what happens next...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 16:54:13 PM »
 :Luv: thanks for the link (of course! Should have googled, eh?!  :tired: )

I have completed the email form for an information pack . . . . will wait and see if anything comes from it!

Thanks again!
 :Luv2:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 16:50:36 PM »
I was talking to a lady yesterday when we were having lunch in our local Zizzi  :Luv2:

She has a lovely black & white mutt with different coloured eyes. He had a PAT enamel badge on his collar and so I started talking to her (funny how you can talk to people with animals  :evillaugh: ) she said she goes into the local Age Concern centre 3 times a week and they love him. She sid she tried cutting the days doen and there was uproar so she went back to 3 days even though it isn't convenient  :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 16:47:45 PM »
What a lovely idea ... I hpe wilf can become a PAT cat.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 16:39:53 PM »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
Wilf - potential Pet As Therapy cat!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 16:28:49 PM »
This may sound odd to some of you . . .  actually, scratch that - I don't think you lot are phased by anything  ;) . . . bear with me . ..  .

many many years ago, my neighbour's dog used to be taken into old folk's homes and long stay hospital wards to cheer up the residents, especially those who were missing their own pets or had had to give them up to move into cared-for accommodation. I recall this was with some kind of small charitable group but other than that, can't remember much about it. Anyway, I've been thinking recently that my Wilf would be a perfect candidate for a similar scheme, if there is still one available - which I hope there is because I am firmly of the opinion that there is a healing property to having a big rug of a cat on your knee, purring!

It was my vet who actually suggested that I look into this as, if Wilf were a pony, he would be described as 'bombproof.' He's completely unfazed by anything; the car, other people's houses, going to the vets. In fact, at the vets, Wilf spreads himself regally across the bench seats, casually washing, and waits for the door to the consulting room to be opened before trotting confidently in to see the vet!  In his previous home he lived with multiple cats and dogs and now he's here, he is regularly surrounded by my 6 year old daughter's friends and nothing seems to faze him at all.

I've been taking Wilf round to one of my elderly neighbours who is housebound and whose cat died last year and they've both been enjoying each other's company so that's why I was thinking that we might be able to volunteer for a couple of hours a month if there's a local cat-visiting scheme . . .

So . . .   does anyone know of such a scheme?!

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 11:46:31 AM by Harna »

Link to CatChat