Author Topic: Newbie cat "mom' looking for advice  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
Re: Newbie cat "mom' looking for advice
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 18:42:37 PM »
Mine chatter lots too... Layla makes a cooing sound like a pigeon when she wants some attention or sometimes in response if I'm chatting to her and Oscar sometimes makes a very loud wail for what seems like no reason at all but he's obviously trying to say something! You'll get used to it and probably even work out what it means once you get to know each other better.
As far as the going outside goes, it may well be that he's miowing to say he wants to go out but in my personal experience and as a CP volunteer I would recommend keeping him in for 3 weeks before you let him out so that he is fully comfortable and familiar with his new surroundings. It is really nerve wracking letting them out for the first time. With mine I've always taken them out in the garden with me a few times and let them have a sniff about and then take the plunge. I also practise calling them in with some biscuits (whiskers temptations are like drugs for cats! hehe!) a few times before giving them complete freedom and then they understand that when I rattle the biccies it means in time. You may find that you have a cat that doesn't like to come in at night which can be a bit worrying but they always come home eventually- just when THEY want to!
Also, another tip for getting him in at night is to make sure you give him his evening meal after he's in, then he'll come home when he's hungry. If you feed him before he goes out he is much mroe likely to stay out all hours.
Good luck with it all!

Funnily enough, I've got used to all his "mad" noises and I'm quite chilled now. He's such a character. I'm def not letting him out for at least 4 weeks, then I'll see how we go. I even got a cat harness so I can take him out in the garden the first few times. He even let me put the harness on - such a laid back wee thing.

Thanks for your advice - some good tips there.

Lynds  ;)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 21:27:12 PM »
Mine chatter lots too... Layla makes a cooing sound like a pigeon when she wants some attention or sometimes in response if I'm chatting to her and Oscar sometimes makes a very loud wail for what seems like no reason at all but he's obviously trying to say something! You'll get used to it and probably even work out what it means once you get to know each other better.
As far as the going outside goes, it may well be that he's miowing to say he wants to go out but in my personal experience and as a CP volunteer I would recommend keeping him in for 3 weeks before you let him out so that he is fully comfortable and familiar with his new surroundings. It is really nerve wracking letting them out for the first time. With mine I've always taken them out in the garden with me a few times and let them have a sniff about and then take the plunge. I also practise calling them in with some biscuits (whiskers temptations are like drugs for cats! hehe!) a few times before giving them complete freedom and then they understand that when I rattle the biccies it means in time. You may find that you have a cat that doesn't like to come in at night which can be a bit worrying but they always come home eventually- just when THEY want to!
Also, another tip for getting him in at night is to make sure you give him his evening meal after he's in, then he'll come home when he's hungry. If you feed him before he goes out he is much mroe likely to stay out all hours.
Good luck with it all!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 15:59:59 PM »
Spike makes moany noises around the house,its normally when he wants something, he then comes to find me and chats til i give him some attention  :Luv:
When it gets to bed time he dashes around muttering and getting excited as he knows theres biscuits on the way  :evillaugh:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 10:17:14 AM »
Thanks Sue   :Luv:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »
Of course you do.  It's all very new for you both, and you need a little time to get used to each other's ways and funny little habits...  :evillaugh:  I think he's thankfully found a smashing new home with you  :hug:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »
:evillaugh:  Lynds, spoken like a proper Mum - worry worry worry!    :hug: :hug:

I said to my mum last night..."God knows what I'll be like if I have a baby!" Although a 10 month old baby can't go wandering around the streets and get knocked down! Well no 10 month old babies I know... :rofl:

I guess Nobo and I just need to time together, and I need to allow him time to settle in.

:scared:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »
 :evillaugh:  Lynds, spoken like a proper Mum - worry worry worry!    :hug: :hug:

If he's been abused, then it might be that he cries because he's anxious and needs reassurance.  Poor little lad.  In time, once he's settled in, this may improve.  With regards to letting him out, that age old question.  I would definitely keep him in for a few weeks to let him get used to you, although that's sometimes easier said than done.  When we moved house, I fully intended keeping Paddy in for at least three to four weeks, but he had other ideas, and at the end of the first week, he was like an escape artiste wanting to be out.  I was terrified, but he repaid my trust in him, by not going far, and just investigating the new area.  As Nobi is young though, he might want to wander further, so if he does go out, start by only letting him out while you're there to stay with him and supervise what he gets up to.  When you're ready to go in, bring him with you.  Once he gains confidence, then you can try leaving the door open for him to come in - choose whichever entrance offers the safest area for him to explore the outside, usually it's your back garden or the like.

It's true some cats wander more than others, but I've found that neutered males tend to wander less, though I'm sure other people will have different experiences.  It's always a worry that you have to get to grips with if your cat does have access to the outdoors.  Having said that, I know lots of people here on purrs have successfully educated former outdoor access cats to be indoor cats only, and I'm sure they'll have advice for you on that subject.  Looking forward to seeing your piccies.   ;D

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for replying. It's nice to hear from you and thanks for your suggestions.

I'm very used to the smell of cat wee as we've always had cats in our family home, but when I think back, I was at university when my parent's latest two, Sam and Alfie were neutered, so perhaps missed the strong wee smell. I'm only used to smelling cat wee when the litter tray needs done...  :rofl:  I use Catsan, as again that's what my parents use for Sam and Alfie and it seems to do the trick. I've just boosted the share price of Fabreeze plug ins by buying a few until his wee calms down then!!

The yowl he makes is a kind of has more a O sound, than A. Like when you hear people in R&B music and on TV referred to as a "whoa". Sometimes he does start going loopy after doing the noise but other times he just does it. When I chose him at the rescue home, he made the noise and even the lady there thought he was about to be sick. I will definitely mention it to the vet, but perhaps he's just adjusting. He was abused before they rescued him and he only has half a tail. He eats each meal like it's his first in weeks, the poor wee soul. I still can't believe how loving he is, considering all the things he's been through.

The only other thing I can think of is that the rescue lady said he was probably an outdoor cat, so is he perhaps protesting and wanting out? All our family cats have been indoor cats so this is one area I'm very new to. I don't even know how to introduce a cat to the outdoor world and I'm terrified he'll get lost or simply not come back. She did say he needs to stay inside with me for a month before letting him out, but again I'm so worried he just goes and doesn't come back. How on earth do they know to come back? Surely some cats just don't come back? Ah my brain is bursting just thinking about it.

I'll get some pics up soon.

Lynds x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 07:51:59 AM »
I have a foster that does this at the moment, he might stop as he settles down, as he hasn't had long to get used to your house. I also suspect his wee could be due to being recently neutered, it normally takes around 2 weeks for the smell to die down - Sophisticat Anti-Bacterial is very good at hiding tom cat smell though
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 07:14:29 AM »
I was thinking the same thing Helen - I used to have a little cat who would chunter away all the time, ranging from little chirrups and querelous "pprrrppps" to full blown yowls, usually when he was excited, or wanted attention.  Some cats are more vocal than others, but in a way, it's nice that they want to "talk" to you in that way - it just takes a bit of getting used to!  :)

With regard to the wee, you could experiment with different litter in the tray to see if you can find one that absorbs odours to your liking.  I use Catsan, but it's very much what your cat will use and what you prefer as some litters get carried round the house more easily than others.  You could even have a chat with your vet when he has his "MOT"to see if a change in diet might help.

Anyway Lynds, welcome to Purrs, and I hope you enjoy finding your way round the forum.  Some piccies of Nobo would be lovely if you have some   ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 00:19:19 AM »
Hi Lynds &  :welcome: to Purrs

It's difficult to say without hearing the noise, my cat who is a youngster too has crazy moments when he will howl at the top of his voice -
sort of 'a (as in mat sound)-rule' noise - in fact he's done it just now as I'm typing!  He will make this noise randomly several times a day, sometimes directly at me other times when he is upstairs or in another room on his own.  In my case he's just releasing pent up energy as the then dashes around the house like a loon jumping on his brother and generally being crazy.  I'd mention it to the vet when Nobo has his MOT but it doesn't sound like anything to be too worried about.

As for the strong smelling wee, if he has only recently been neutered his wee will still smell strong.  It should die down in a short while, alternatively it could be that as you are not used to smelling cat wee that it smells particularly strong to you.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 00:24:48 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
Newbie cat "mom' looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 21:23:08 PM »
Hi all,

This is my first post here, so hi!   :scared:

I've just adopted my first rescue cat, and called him Nobo. I've always been around cats, mainly due to my parents having them, but this is my first on my own. You could not ask for a more loving, happy cat, especially after everything he has been through. He's c. 10-11 months old, male and recently neutered. I have him booked to see a good vet next week for a cat "MOT"!!

My question is around is noises! I've noticed he makes a howling noise (you know the noise they make when they are going to be sick?) when walking around my house. He doesn't do it too often, but often enough that I worry about it. I've only had him two days and I do associate this noise with upset cats about to be sick. I find him and he seems ok. He also does it when he's had something to eat (not always, but most of the time), and when he's been to the loo (again, not always, but most of the time).  I don't go to him each time he makes these noises as I don't want him thinking I'll come running, but when I do go to him, he really does seem fine and will purr away when I talk to him. He also seems to have quite a strong smelling pee, which is really stinking my house out.

I'll obviously speak to the vet about these concerns, however I would really appreciate some advice/suggestions as it really is a distressing wee noise.

Lynds  :-:

Link to CatChat