Author Topic: What a depressing week  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: What a depressing week
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 20:33:07 PM »
I said that to the rescue on Mon, I can't work out if it is worse, or it just seems worse cos last summer seems such a long way away!! Doesn't help that I am feeling yucky with a virus and Mabel is poorly.
Got home tonight to a voicemail, and listened to it with dread - it was one of the kittens I rehomed the other month, telling me how well she is doing, and how pleased they are with her - makes it all worthwhile. As does a cuddle with Miss Mol, and looking at the three oldies lounging round on beds or fleecy blankets and knowing that they are happy in a home environment.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 16:26:44 PM »
We do say this every year, don't we? The summer is a  :censored: as far as rehoming goes.  :( Roll on September when the kids go back to school, and families start wanting to adopt again.  :evillaugh:

I have placed our own ads on the G*****e site. Both for rehoming and offering neutering vouchers. Sharon tells me it's generated a few calls but sadly out of our area so far. She has passed on details of other neighbouring rescues so hopefully they'll get a kitten or cat from them rather than paying a back street breeder.  :sneaky:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 14:33:57 PM »
Some people will do anything to get a few pounds. they have no morals or care for anything or anyone just themselves and their habit - whether it's drink - fags -drugs  or just chocolate.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 14:25:48 PM »
yip... mind boggles.... quite a few folks round here trying to sell moggies kittens for £80 - £100 they must be getting it or else why advertise at that price?????
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 14:19:38 PM »
I can't imagine anyone thinking that is a good way to make money!!!!!!  what if you can't sell them you still have to feed them at the minimum - people are very strange

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 14:17:38 PM »
I'd say its definately worse up here this year for people using the kittens for money and selling them on the ad sites up here.  Not many kitten being handed into rescue at all. 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 14:09:02 PM »
is it the same every year or are some years better than others?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 14:05:01 PM »
I think the story is pretty much the same everywhere Desley... although that said we are getting plenty of calls for kittens but don't have many in... seem to be a helluva lot more in the ad sites!  grrrr

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 13:00:17 PM »
I think a lot of places are in the same position at the moment Des, I vowed not to take any more and I got a phone call from a trailer firm this morning, 2 guys have found a couple of kittens, no sign of mum and both need veterinary treatment.  The place is 30 miles away from me but they've tried everywhere, what could I say so I'm off to pick them up shortly and get them in the vets  :tired:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »
I know how you feel Des - I wish I could help more. The only thing I can do is support my local rescue. I made catnips bags sold them and made £70 for Cramar.

Everytime I look at a cat I want to take them in and give them the love and comfort mine have. Neutering doesn't cost much, the qeen having kittens costs more, but then as you know - they get pregnant then get thrown out. It's not like they have a choice wether to get preggers.

This year I have decide not to go in the rehoming pen at cramar open day it upsets me too much. I shall spend the day in the paddocks with my sponser ferals Saffie & Tabbitha  :Luv: - which reminds me I have a spare bed in the loft - I'll take that along. I would donate to you guys but the postage it too much, unless you were local.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
What a depressing week
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »
Two calls on Mon - one for a farm with 6 unneutered females (the eldest being 12), and 6 kittens, and a couple with 3 unneutered females and 8 kittens. We are really struggling with rehoming, so very little space, so the best I could do was get neutering vouchers for the females on the farm, and Rachel has taken 4 of the kittens from teh other place, so we have half helped both people, and CP did say they would bear the farm kittens in mind if they ever moved any kittens.

Last night someone wanted to know if we could take his 1.5yo female, as he is moving in with a partner who is allergic to cats, the best I could do was offer advice on Petal Cleanse, as they have tried meds from the doctor, and tell him to keep trying.

I can't actually remember the last time I got a call for an adult, and 2 recent enquiries have gone elsewhere, which really annoys me, as they didn't have the decency to let me know, I had to chase them. I hope rehoming picks up soon, or people stop wanting us to bring cats in, I really hate not being able to help.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat