Author Topic: Jaffa has gunky eye  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Jaffa has gunky eye
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 10:00:49 AM »
Jaffa's eye is all better now  ;D  I'm still a little worried about this pupil dilating thing though.  He's due his vaccinations in a month or 2 so I will get it checked out again then.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 09:20:58 AM »
His eye is starting to look a bit better  ;D  It's still got lots of gunge in it but there seems to be less discharge and what there is is solidyfying to black crusty bits which sounds gross but is fairly normal for Jaffa.  Getting the drops in him is a bit of a nightmare.  Or rather catching him to put the eye drops in is a nightmare!  If I can catch him I have to pin him down and he growls and hisses and doesn't like it one bit.  Good job I have a plentiful supply of prawns for afterwards.  He does forgive me immediately too.  Jaffa isn't one to hold grudges.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 21:55:06 PM »
I think I have to admire the cool way vets prescribe things like eye drops - sure, I will have no problem whatsoever putting drops in his eye 4 times a day.  he won't run off at the sight of the bottle at all  :shify:  Done the first drops tonight and he wasn't impressed but he got some prawns afterwards  ;D 

Tell me about it! Some of mine are ok with eye drops - but Lucy, little mild mannered, gentle, soft Lucy - becomes the beast of Bodmin where eye drops are concerned LOL!  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 23:49:29 PM »
The slightly weakend immune system has been mentioned before and we think he may have had cat flu as a kitten before I got him. 

The immune system thing did make me wonder whether he could be FIV positive, although he has had no particular problems throughout his life really - just one dental and this eye trouble really.  He's never been tested.  Would he have had more health problems in the past if he was FIV positive?  He probably isn't but it has got me wondering.

I would think its more likely to be related to him having cat flu as a kitten - if that is the case, as you know, they can have flare ups throughout their life, in his case, showing as a runny eye every now and then. Hope its better soon  :hug:

Yes, I think it is very unlikely he would have FIV as I've had him since he was 8 weeks and he's never been outside.  Don't know anything about his life before then and don't know for sure he had cat flu (rescue didn't mention it if he had) but when he was at the vet for his first vaccinations he had gungy eyes and has always had black bits in them, and the vet who saw him then said he may have had cat flu.

I think I have to admire the cool way vets prescribe things like eye drops - sure, I will have no problem whatsoever putting drops in his eye 4 times a day.  he won't run off at the sight of the bottle at all  :shify:  Done the first drops tonight and he wasn't impressed but he got some prawns afterwards  ;D  Hope it clears up soon as he looks a bit sorry for himself.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 22:11:46 PM »
The slightly weakend immune system has been mentioned before and we think he may have had cat flu as a kitten before I got him. 

The immune system thing did make me wonder whether he could be FIV positive, although he has had no particular problems throughout his life really - just one dental and this eye trouble really.  He's never been tested.  Would he have had more health problems in the past if he was FIV positive?  He probably isn't but it has got me wondering.

I would think its more likely to be related to him having cat flu as a kitten - if that is the case, as you know, they can have flare ups throughout their life, in his case, showing as a runny eye every now and then. Hope its better soon  :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 20:53:33 PM »
Hope Jaffas eye heals up soon :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 18:38:44 PM »
Jaffa has been to the vet today and the vet doesn't really know what is wrong.  It's very localised, affecting just one eye, but she doesn't think it is conjunctivitis as there has been no greeny discharge.  It is inflamed around his eye but the cornea is undamaged.  She said it could possibly be an allergic reaction to something.  She's given eye drops to be going on with since they've worked before and if they clear it up then we'll leave it, but if it happens regularly (he has had it a few times before, the last time being 2 and a half years ago) we may need to do some more tests.  If it is an infection, she said he may be affected while Mosi isn't because of his age or she said he could have a more sensitive immune system.  The slightly weakend immune system has been mentioned before and we think he may have had cat flu as a kitten before I got him.  But she doesnt really know what is going on.  She said that his eyes responded ok to most of the tests she did (like bliinking when she moved her finger closer to his face)  but when she put the lights out the pupil didn't respond to the change in light like she would expect.  Is that unusual?  She said that if the eye drops work and it doesn't happen too often then it's probably best just to leave it be and I agree that I don't want to put him through any tests for the sake of it if there are no other symptoms.  So fingers crossed the eye drops work like they have before.  I did wonder whether he might have got a bit of cat litter in that eye but the vet didnt' seem to think that very likely.  There was no sign of any injury so I don't think Mosi has scratched him in the eye either.  The immune system thing did make me wonder whether he could be FIV positive, although he has had no particular problems throughout his life really - just one dental and this eye trouble really.  He's never been tested.  Would he have had more health problems in the past if he was FIV positive?  He probably isn't but it has got me wondering.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 22:18:25 PM »
His eye is looking a lot better today.  The only indication that anything is wrong is that the fur at the side of his nose on that side of his face is stained a little darker than usual.  But the eye itself doesn't look too bad at all. Im still not convinced it will completely heal up on it's own as when he's had eye problems before it's looked better one day, worse the next, better the day after.......  But at the moment it doesn't look sore so I will continue to just keep an eye on it (excuse the pun  ;D)

I've made him a vet's appt for tuesday evening.  Couldn't get an evening appt before then but at least it will give me time to see how it goes.  It looks a bit worse today and I dont think it's going to clear up without eye drops, and I dont want the little lad to suffer while I wait and hope it clears up by itself.  If it looks much worse over the weekend I'll try to get a morning appt for monday and go into work late.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:33:08 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 17:58:38 PM »
It's not any better and it's not any worse.  I'm still hoping it will clear up on it's own but a vet trip is looking more and more likely.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:49:05 AM »
Hope Jaffa's eye is better this morning

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 19:11:54 PM »
I'm trying to bathe it (getting more water on me than on the eye) and am hoping it will get better on it's own.  I really don't want a trip to the vets for my sake or Jaffa's.  It doesn't seem to be bothering him and it doesn't look sore - just the discharge makes it look a bit nasty.  Poor lad.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 13:24:19 PM »
Funnily enough, Blip had a runny eye on Sunday.  I bathe with cooled boiled water.  It only lasted a few hours and sorted itself out.  Hope Jaffa has just got a temporary irritation  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:48:46 PM »
He has had conjuncitivitis a few times in the past and has been given eye drops.  I fear he will need them again and as he's not seen the vet since last autumn when had his vaccinations, they'll probably want to see him before prescribing (I have got them to give me the drops without seeing him in the past)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »
Just keep an eye on it (excuse the pun), and maybe wipe clean with some cool boiled water.  Hopefully its just a small irritation.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 22:01:07 PM »
I woul keep it clean with a little warm water but I wouldnt put anything in it just in case.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Jaffa has gunky eye
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 21:56:53 PM »
A vet trip may be in order :(

It doesn't look sore but the discharge from it (he always has black crusty bits) is runny and a bit nasty looking.  If it doesn't clear up in the next day or two it will be a trip to the green people for the poor lad.  Can't say I'm looking forward to that prospect.  He hates it at the best of times and I will have to take him on a bus which will really freak him out.

Should I try to bathe it or leave it alone?

Link to CatChat