Author Topic: who's heard of Munchkin's ??  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: who's heard of Munchkin's ??
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 16:36:55 PM »
I find it all horrible. Sadly theres always people wiling to pay for these genetic mutations  >:(

www.newbreedcats.com

These people have a code of 'ethics' yet advertise someone who breeds polydactyl moggies and ships them where you wish for the appropiate fee  >:( >:(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »
Also what really irritates me is the way they say they are a "new breed" They aren't a breed by any means, they are simply a cross-breed/Moggy with a stupid name.

A breed is defined if the variant has bred true for x generations. All breeds started off by someone breeding for a certain characteristic, so they all started off through cross-breeding. To grossly oversimplify it, if you wanted a breed that was a consistently reproducing slender cat with orange spots you might breed a cream oriental to a spotted ginger moggy and this offspring back to the parents or other cats of similar characteristics until you had a consistent occurnece of the favoured characteristics. You would then breed those to each other and their cousins for a few generations and voila, 'new breed'.
So an inbred, moggie mongrel would be a more accurate description of a 'new breed'  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 22:18:10 PM »
wait until you've seen bambinos! http://www.bambinocats.com/

they're just starting to be bred over here (which is pointless since they're not recognised by the GCCF).

I find that so wrong. Also what really irritates me is the way they say they are a "new breed" They aren't a breed by any means, they are simply a cross-breed/Moggy with a stupid name.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 22:11:08 PM »
That's interesting Christine, I didn't know that. I'm just basing what I feel on observations. (Hence could be entirely wrong!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 21:45:09 PM »
Exactly. Nature doesn't always do what's best - some birth defects are entirely disadvantageous.

Most are, JS.  Evolution works by favouring any mutations that confer increased fitness to breed (not survive, breed) compared with other members of their species.  The genes of these individuals are therefore passed on to succeeding generations.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline hels

• Adult Cat
  • george tink jap connie riley morgan josh perkins
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 21:41:32 PM »
wait until you've seen bambinos! http://www.bambinocats.com/

they're just starting to be bred over here (which is pointless since they're not recognised by the GCCF).

I've got my sphynx connie but the bambino is a step too far

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 21:37:41 PM »
Exactly. Nature doesn't always do what's best - some birth defects are entirely disadvantageous.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 20:58:28 PM »
[I believe munchkins developed naturally and don't have problems jumping or climbing, but I still don't think it's right to deliberately breed cats with shortened limbs. 

most genetic mutations are a natural occurence. It is how evolution happens. But perpetuating an animal form that leads to potential health problems, or results in an animal that is unable to survive without human intervention is unsound practice and should be discouraged. It is not that the animal itself is problematic, it is the habit of humans to support and encourage unsustainable variants that is the problem.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 20:51:03 PM »
I disagree with purposely breeding any breed that has definite health disadvantages. But that's just my opinion - I think munchkin cats are terribly sad, because cats are such agile, slinky animals as a rule.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 19:50:39 PM »
I say 3 cheers for the GCCF and FIFe who both refuse to recognise the breed (and similar breeds) and consider them to be unacceptable because it is based on abnormal development .

:agree:

I believe munchkins developed naturally and don't have problems jumping or climbing, but I still don't think it's right to deliberately breed cats with shortened limbs. 

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 19:41:24 PM »
I say 3 cheers for the GCCF and FIFe who both refuse to recognise the breed (and similar breeds) and consider them to be unacceptable because it is based on abnormal development .
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 19:38:37 PM »
It is a sad fact that, in the interest of producing new breeds and ones that you can make a profit out of, a lot of breeders overlook the 'minor' detail of 'quality of life' for the end product. So you end up with all manner of random genetic mutations being perpetuated (when in nature they would not survive) for the dubious pleasure of those who view animals as decorator items and status symbols, rather than as living, breathing animals. The same happens with dogs, horses and any other animal that has become 'pet of the month' ... People really disgust me from time to time, but frankly I lack the energy to argue with idiots like that ... >:(

agree with you whole heartedly BC

Hi Leigh, I'm fine  :) although going away offshore tommorrow for 2 week's  :tired:

just remembered another thing, in 2004 we were over to the IOM TT races and was staying in douglas at this guy's house
and he had two Manx cats, one of which was not eating right and I mind him telling me she'd also Bowel problems.
went back in 2007 and sadly the ill one had been pts  :(

just did a quick search justnow and found this...

While its spinal mutation can give it a cute little tail, it can also cause the Manx a plethora of health problems. One problem
arises from what is commonly known as Manx Syndrome, which makes the tail too short, causing spina bifida. Spina bifida are
openings in the spine's vertebral arches, which can cause impairments in the legs, feet, knees, hips, bowels, and bladder. This
condition affects mostly rumpies. However, due to improved breeding practices, Manx Syndrome is becoming less common.

>:( :(
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 19:29:43 PM »
Hi Stu,

and there was I thinking of the Wizard of Oz  :-[ :doh:

hope you and your's are well mate
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 19:16:18 PM »
It is a sad fact that, in the interest of producing new breeds and ones that you can make a profit out of, a lot of breeders overlook the 'minor' detail of 'quality of life' for the end product. So you end up with all manner of random genetic mutations being perpetuated (when in nature they would not survive) for the dubious pleasure of those who view animals as decorator items and status symbols, rather than as living, breathing animals. The same happens with dogs, horses and any other animal that has become 'pet of the month' ... People really disgust me from time to time, but frankly I lack the energy to argue with idiots like that ... >:(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 19:14:10 PM »
http://www.moggies.co.uk/breeds/munchkin.html

Got to say they look very strange !!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
who's heard of Munchkin's ??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 19:10:45 PM »
last time I was offshore, I was reading the paper reading through the pet ad's and came across
this add someone in my hometown a breeder of Munchkin cat's selling kitten's for £500  :shocked:
I'd never heard of munchkin's beore so I did a search on the net  :( :( :(

I think this is wrong  :doh: cats should have long leg's.. shouldn't they ???

what do you ppl think ?????

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Link to CatChat