Author Topic: New Cat Question  (Read 1713 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: New Cat Question
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 19:26:49 PM »
It does depend on the cat though. I inflicted sofie on Bob when she was 9 months old and Bob was 16. They became good friends. I certainly would not get a kitten though ...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 19:23:34 PM »
No you are right bc, I read it as 2.........chucking out binoculors ........however I still think at 12.5 a young friend maybe too much and if a friend was really thought to be necessary, then an older more sedate feline would be better

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 18:16:36 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think liquorice said that the cat was 12 when adopted and is now 12.5, so only in residence 6 months. That would provide rather more flex in the situation I think.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 16:54:51 PM »
I think that if your cat has been the only cat for 12 years another cat may not be a good idea.

Why do you think she would like another cat?

Tend to agree  :shy: certainly wouldnt suggest a young cat, you need to match up lifestyles so anything young is likely to put her nose out of joint. You do get exceptions but generally an older cat isnt going to want to be dominanted by some annoying youngster.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 21:52:01 PM »
I think that if your cat has been the only cat for 12 years another cat may not be a good idea.

Why do you think she would like another cat?

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 21:12:04 PM »
don't get a kitten! Your older cat will hate you. They are way to high energy and will demand that the older cat play with it.
A good compromise might be an older kitten, say around 9-12 months which will be a little less demanding on the older cat but also will be sufficiently kittenish to keep you on you toes. You might also find that, as the older kitten has been neutered, there is less risk of hormone-related tensions arising as they will as ayoung kitten matures but before it is neutered. You will also have less time in which both cats will need to be kept indoors, as clearly a neutered older kitten would be able to go out as soon as it became settled in the household and responsive (well, as responsive as the ever get) to its name.

Am always happy to encourage cat accumulation, as long as you have the right environment and your budget can cover insurance, vet costs and food/welfare of the wee ones.

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
New Cat Question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 21:05:48 PM »
Hello

Our cat is about 12.5 years old, we rescued her at 12 years, we are debating whether to rescue a smaller cat even a kitten to keep her company, but we are not sure if she would like it. I think she may be jealous. Has anybody had any experience with this?

Thanks

J

Link to CatChat