Author Topic: How do you keep your Indoor cats cool?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: How do you keep your Indoor cats cool?
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 15:49:25 PM »
My Max isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier. I had to stop him diving under a duvet and fleece blanket to sleep this morning (winter behaviour) just cos the sun wasn't out (which is apparently Mum's Fault)  :rofl:
Now that they are both elderly I find it's more of a problem as they go into a sort of coma on the bed and won't move. Our top flat is hot; it's been about 28 degs on that bed. If it's too bad, the fan comes out. The vet said to be careful wiping them with cool water if they have CRF and are old as they may lick themselves a lot afterwards, making them dehydrated.
Don't think we'll have hot weather for too much longer anyhow. It looks very thundery here in London :-(
I wish we had nice shutters in england like in france - so great for keeping a place cool.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 18:13:46 PM »
Our basement is cool (ish) in the summer -  They know where it is and they are free to go there any time they want  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Soxey's Mummy

• Adult Cat
  • Sox
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 12:57:08 PM »
We have fans in the rooms, open but locked windows, water bowls in several rooms and there is one room where there is a heat reflecting blind which is always down so it is a cool room which Sox likes but he loves getting petted with wet kitchen roll when it is really warm he always cuddles up for more  :Luv2:, it is really easy to keep cats cool indoors as they are very smart and will soon learn where the best place to go when they are too hot!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 15:38:56 PM »
Every room in my house is different so Bonnie knows where to go to cool down when she's had enough.  Mind you, I don't like being too hot and I have 2 stand up fans, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs so if I'm in the house I have them on for a while and she sits at the other end of the room to get a nice breeze.

While I'm at work - plenty of water and I leave the windows open slightly but on a lock so they can not be pushed open and she can lay on the window sill and get a bit of fresh air.

I've noticed just recently that she likes to sit in my underwear drawer - she's actually moved all my underwear so that she can sit on the lavender fragranced drawer liner. Not sure if it's the smell she likes or maybe the paper is cool.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 14:00:16 PM »
I've got fans in most rooms to help keep Max cool, I did try the cold flannel idea yesterday but he wasn't keen on that  :Crazy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 13:49:22 PM »
A few days ago Tibby let me pour the watering can of water on him - he was that hot he was getting fed up and he was gld of it lol :rofl:
Amanda xx

Photos:-   http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/jadesmum_photos/

Mum to:-
Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)
Tibby (Male cat Black & White age 3 1/2  -  Latest addition)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
You can buy doggy freezer water bowls as well that you put in the freezer to freeze the gel between the two layers and then just fill them with water as normal and their water says cold for longer.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »
We put ice in the water bowls

We're quite lucky that our lounge is north facing and always in the shade its perfect for the mogs

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 22:19:43 PM »
Mine have ice packs to lie on.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 20:54:59 PM »
I sponge down too and he loves it!! It really does work at keeping him cool.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 20:51:17 PM »
Sponge them down with a damp flannel or kitchen towel  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 20:47:28 PM »
Being in an upstiairs flat not a good idea me thinks lol
I have put damp towels on the kitchen floor but both cats on the bed lol :Crazy:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 20:44:53 PM »
When I lived in Queensland I used to put them in the bath. The first time they flew out looking outraged. After that they queued for the pleasure ... It does make for damp patches on the carpets though, as well as quantities of water on the bathroom floor ...

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
How do you keep your Indoor cats cool?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 20:42:57 PM »
Just wondering how those of you with indoor cats keep them cool in this weather?

Link to CatChat