Author Topic: I am in love with ragdolls - I want one  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
Re: I am in love with ragdolls - I want one
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 20:39:34 PM »
The Ragdoll cat is a delightful breed with a gentle, loving nature. They have a muscular build and are said to be the largest of all domesticated cats with neutered males sometimes weighing up to 20lbs. All Ragdolls are colourpointed, so their face, ears, tail and legs are darker in colour than the rest of the body.  They are born completely white or cream in colour and the points begin to develop just a few days after birth.  Ragdolls are slow to mature and they do not reach their full size or obtain their final coat quality and depth of colouration, until they are about four years old.  When mature, Ragdolls have thick, silky, semi-longhaired coats with a neck ruff and knickerbockers on their hind legs.  Their large, oval eyes are always blue and for the purposes of showing, the deeper the colour, the better.

There has been much debate and some mystery surrounding the beginnings of the Ragdoll breed. However it is generally accepted that Ragdolls originated in the USA in 1963, with a litter of kittens born to Josephine, a white angora type cat, who had been mated by two males, a Birman and a Burmese. The resulting offspring were large and extremely docile. Anne Baker used these kittens as the foundation for her breeding programme, which produced the Ragdoll cat we are familiar with today.

The breed first came to Britain in March 1981 when Pat Brownsell and the late Lulu Rowley each imported a pair of Blossom Time Ragdolls. The first Ragdoll kittens to be bred in Britain were born in quarantine to Blossom Time Lass and Lad. By 1982, Lulu, who bred under the Petil-Lu prefix and Pat, who bred Patriarca Ragdolls had imported 12 Blossom Time Ragdolls and had begun establishing the breed in Britain. However, it was not until March 1990 that the Ragdoll was recognised by The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy (GCCF). The popularity of the breed grew and over the years more Ragdoll lines were imported from the US by British breeders, including recently the Red series and Tabby (lynx).

The recognised colours in the Ragdoll breed are seal, blue, healthyfood and lilac, although the latter two are now extremely rare in the UK, since genetically they are difficult to produce. Recently red, cream and tortie Ragdolls, along with the tabby (lynx pattern), were imported into the UK from America.   In June 2003 the Red series and Tabby Ragdolls received champion status from the GCCF. Ann Baker worked with all these colours in her early breeding programme.

The three recognised patterns in the Ragdoll are colourpointed, mitted and Bi-colour and each can be overlaid with any of the above colours.

Ragdolls are famous for their laid back nature, but while it is fair to say they do have a more relaxed nature than many breeds, some Ragdolls do not enjoy being held on their backs like babies.  It is worth remembering that Ragdolls cats are not toys or ‘designer’ animals and each has its own individual personality, which should be respected and nurtured.  The hype that surrounded the breed in the USA during the early years and the images of cats being thrown around and held like dollies, to prove how relaxed they were was, in my opinion, cruel and did a great deal of damage to the reputation of Ragdolls.  All cats, even Ragdolls, when held, like to feel secure in your arms and if they do not they will struggle to get away.

While we are dispersing myths, the idea that has emerged, suggesting Ragdolls do not feel pain must be mentioned. There is absolutely no scientific evidence to suggest that Ragdolls have a different nervous system to any other breed of cat and so their pain mechanisms must be the same. Ragdoll cats DO feel pain and should be afforded the same care and respect as any other animal. Ragdolls do have a tendency to get under your feet and on occasions, in our household, this has led to the end of a tail or a stray paw being accidentally trodden on and our Ragdolls have left us in no doubt that they felt it!

There is much said about the non-matting coat of the Ragdoll and therefore the limited need for grooming. While many Ragdolls do have coats that seem to be less prone to matting, it is true to say that others will have coats that do matt easily. Regular grooming, with a suitable brush and comb, for all Ragdolls is essential to maintain a clear, silky coat and to prevent any knots.  Grooming removes dead, loose fur, which reduces the risk of the formation of fur balls and goes someway to limiting moulting onto furniture and carpets! Grooming is a good way to bond with a new kitten and get it used to being handled and is important in maintaining a good relationship with an older cat. Furthermore establishing a good grooming routine gives the opportunity to check for fleas, look at the cats teeth, ears and to generally check the cat for any lumps or bumps which may be developing.

Ragdolls are docile and trusting, which makes their little ‘purrsonalities’ even more endearing, but unfortunately this also means that they are not the most ‘street wise’ cats on the block. Ragdolls have no road sense at all and will lie in the road, expecting a car to stop for them, rather than recognising the danger. The chances are that a Ragdoll left to roam outside will have a very short life expectancy. Bearing this in mind they should be kept as indoor cats.  Ragdolls are happy to stay in, as they crave human company and are quite happy following their human around the house. Furthermore keeping your cat in protects them from exposure to fatal viruses such as FELV and FIV, which are spread from cat to cat via urine, faeces and other body fluids.

(Taken from UKRCC website)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 21:31:58 PM by Philip »
[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 21:41:12 PM »
Just seen them, they are cute, but not as cute as raggies.

Don't let Mosi hear you say that!  :sad no: :sad no:

Main problems with letting any pedigree cat outside are

a) they tend to be distinctive looking which can make them targets for thieves who fancy trying to sell them
b) some breeds have absolutely no road sense or are so friendly or curious they will not let a road get in the way of either pursuit
c) due to the above, many breeders will stipulate in the contract of sale that they are not to be allowed free access to the outdoors

But like any other cat, it's a case of weighing up the risks and benefits or allowing outdoor access and it's not impossible to find breeders who will allow it if you live in a relatively safe area.

But I'm sure there will be a semi longhaired moggy in a rescue somewhere who would be delighted to come and live with you.

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 16:58:06 PM »
Yes me neither.

Amy would still have the function of her other kidney and would have been fine for hopefuly years to come.

[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2008, 16:56:42 PM »
 :thanks: i think shes fab, i wouldnt have minded a dodgy kidney  :Luv:

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 16:52:30 PM »
Amy looks like a bi coloured seal colourpoint.

She is gorgeous.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 16:53:48 PM by Philip »
[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 16:42:46 PM »
Philip, whats the colouring of the pic i posted of amy?

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 16:15:19 PM »
Have PM'd you re ragdolls.

It is preferrable to keep Ragdolls as indoor as they have no road sense and are too trusting.

They are likely to get stolen as they are so beautiful.

My avatar below shows 2 seal colourpoints and a bi colour lynx
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 16:17:09 PM by Philip »
[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 15:27:23 PM »
Beavis and Oscar would only go it if its warm and sunny - any sign of wet and you can forget it mister - they were not getting their posh paws wet for ayone!

Beavis is 10 now and he is more an indoor cat than outdoor by his choice. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 15:23:15 PM »
My two birmans, who are admittedly older felines but they have access to out side but dont use it that much. Franta tends to follow me out and into the greenhouse or the shed and will follow me back too, he is a bit like a seal pointed sheep  ;D

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 15:16:17 PM »
I may be a bit biased here but have you comsidered a Birman?? They traditionally like a bit of outdoors action but are homelovers who tend not to wander! Beavis and Oscar always had outdoor access but chose to spend most of their time indoors.

They are longhaired but dont need a huge amount of grooming and in my experience get on well generally with other pussies.

Oh and theres one up for grabs in the Rescue section! :evillaugh: ;)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 13:05:24 PM »
We have a Raggie - Minmin - rescue and she is indoor/outdoor due to her non toilet issues - I spent 9 months doing all the suggested things but now she goes out nearly no pointing issues

Ragdolls also only have one fine coat and need heat in the winter when Minmin is a house cat by our choice, they also require regular grooming and you can knit another on a daily basis in the summer with the off cuts!

They also follow you round like a dog and she talks all the time - puts gossips to shame with the conversations she has!

I wouldn't swap her fopr the world but apart from being a Pedigree papered Chocolate Seale point she does have feal tendancies and isn't quite the normal description of a raggie!

Also most Raggie rescues will insist on the being indoor only or access to a safe garden or run and most breeders now insist on indoor homes only - another consideration for you
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »
aww Em1209
I have spoken to a breeder this morning (whilst at work - naughty).
I have decided that it would not be fair on my other 2 cats at the moment to get a raggie.
They love to go out and not fair on them to cat proof my garden.
So back to the drawing board I suppose .
It would not be a very resposible thing in getting one - gutted tho.
But my other babies must come first.
Well - I may think of getting a semi long haired rescue cat if one comes up - that way my babies are happy and another needy cat gets a home. Tibby is a resuce and very loving, but also a dirty stop out too.
Any semi-long haired babies out there need a home in Wigan  ;)
xx
Maybe when my other 2 are old and grrey and cant climb over the wall I can get one then :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:41:29 PM by JadesMum »
Amanda xx

Photos:-   http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/jadesmum_photos/

Mum to:-
Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)
Tibby (Male cat Black & White age 3 1/2  -  Latest addition)

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »
I had my heart on some raggie babies. Friends of the family have 2 and I fell in love. I spent ages researching the breed, speaking to people, emailing breeders and the GCCF for advice. In the end we decided that as they would either have to be kept as indoor cats or need the garden catproofing, it just didn't fit in with our lifestyle, house etc and it would have been cruel to them just to satisfy me "wanting" one.

So I started looking at rescue kittens. Then a friend of a friends raggie had managed to get out and have a night on the town with the local romeo and so we went and were picked by 2 cheeky little half raggies  :wow:!!They do definitely have some raggie characteristics still though, flopping over for tummy tickles and very talkative. They haven't got long fur, but it's still very soft, kind of like rabbit fur and kind of fuzzy, but their tummies are quite fluffy and soft  :Luv:

Aah I love my little monkeys, I'm at work at the moment and now want to go home for purry cuddles  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 08:30:41 AM »
Just seen them, they are cute, but not as cute as raggies.
I think I would rather get a rescue - I suppose it would be the wise thing to do.
Amanda xx

Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »
""Of course, if you like semi long haired cats, there are always Somalis.....  ;) ;D ""

Never heard of Somalis  ??? :-[
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:29:04 AM by JadesMum »
Amanda xx

Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 19:58:57 PM »
They are gorgeous.  But definitely do loads of research to make sure they're the breed for you.  I recommend visiting a few shows to see them in the fur and chat to breeders, as well as asking Philip and Kelly Joy about living with a raggie.  Check out old editions of cat magazines too for those that contain ragdoll breed profiles (you can usually order back copies)

Then if you decide to get one, you need to decide whether to go for a rescue raggie or buy one from a breeder.  If you go the latter route, please do loads and loads of research into what makes a good breeder (GCCF is a good starting point) and don't buy from anyone who doesn't do everything by the book (fully registered, vaccinated, min 13 weeks old etc).

Of course, if you like semi long haired cats, there are always Somalis.....  ;) ;D

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 19:48:12 PM »
I have always loved raggies too , and when we got Beavis and Oxcar they were a serious consideration. After LOADS of research we eventually plumped for Birmans - and have never regretted it.

I still go all mushy over a raggie tho! :Luv2:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2008, 17:02:09 PM »
This is the ragdoll that really grabbed me, her name is Amy and although a young cat she has i think a deformed kidney that put people off adopting her  :( im sure she was a UKRRC cat   :-:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 16:54:46 PM »
Gillian - love the picture of fur babe with tongue hanging out - so cute.

:thanks:  That be my Sammy!  :Luv:

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 16:48:25 PM »
Gillian - love the picture of fur babe with tongue hanging out - so cute.
Amanda xx

Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 16:42:52 PM »
I want a ragdoll furbaby to add to my other 2 babies.
Do they need to be kept as house cats.
If so how do I go on with cat door for the other 2 cats going in and out all the time>

My pedigree Persians all go outside - pedigrees don't have to be kept indoors just because they are pedigrees. Mine don't roam out of the garden though. It would be tricky I think to try and keep one cat in while the other 2 are free to come and go as they please.

Raggies are lovely, I like the bicolours  :Luv2:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 16:42:33 PM »
lol - Gail
He nose is very pink - I sometimes call him "pink Piggy"
and he meows at me when I do

awwww bless   pink piggy :Luv:

I am known as the tummy muncher and also have a very soft spot for pink noses. Even though non of my babes have pink noses - they are all a browny colour. 3 cats 3 noses  :Luv:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 15:58:47 PM »
lol - Gail
He nose is very pink - I sometimes call him "pink Piggy"
and he meows at me when I do
Amanda xx

Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 15:57:03 PM »
Your Tibby  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Pink nose alert ............ munch munch....... ;D

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 15:51:32 PM »
Great idea - a foster mum.
If Kelly is here please contact me.
Many years ago I had a long haired black and white male - he went missing and I never found him - I lived near fields and was safe - that was 13 years ago - he was called Jack and I still miss him and think of him alot.
Did not have computers and stuff - posters, did the lot - nothing. I was gutted. I cired and went out evry night looking for him for 4 months.  I even had to have 3 weeks on the sick as I was so upset. He was my baby. He was more like a dog. Used to wait for me and followed me everywhere.
Thanks
x
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 15:54:53 PM by JadesMum »
Amanda xx

Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 15:45:52 PM »
definitely agree you should do research first - if you're not used to long hair that can be a problem in itself, maybe Kelly Joy could use a foster home in your area, that might be a way of finding out the pitfalls (if there are any, I honestly don't know)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 15:39:37 PM »
All I will say is have a good chat to Kelly Joy who rescues them.

Things only seem to stick in my head when there's a problem, and I recall we've had several cases of poorly breed Ragdolls becoming very sick and needing expensive surgery to correct genetic flaws, so be prepared to look as these problems. I tend to avoid looking at the pedigrees as I'd probably want one too and I swear I will not go out to seek another cat - I've got enough moggies to contend with when they just barge their way in and start sending me orders for room service.  :tired: :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 15:38:52 PM »
Search from the main page for 'cat proofing' but basically you put up angled brackets and put netting round them, because of the angle cats cant jump over  ;D
Sheds and trees also need to be considered or they can jump over   :sneaky:

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 15:32:26 PM »
Alot of peds are kept as indoor cats or they have access to a run, sadly they are easy targets for thieves  >:(

Always research a breed throughly and dont buy just because they look good, many people do this with bengals and burmese and dont know what they are letting themselves in for and get a bit of a shock  :evillaugh:

Having both indoor and outdoor cats isnt easy, if your 100% on it then catproofing the garden would be a middle ground, lots of onfo on purrs on that topic  ;D

I have a back yard - how do I cat proof?
Amanda xx

Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 15:30:38 PM »
Alot of peds are kept as indoor cats or they have access to a run, sadly they are easy targets for thieves  >:(

Always research a breed throughly and dont buy just because they look good, many people do this with bengals and burmese and dont know what they are letting themselves in for and get a bit of a shock  :evillaugh:

Having both indoor and outdoor cats isnt easy, if your 100% on it then catproofing the garden would be a middle ground, lots of onfo on purrs on that topic  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 15:28:47 PM »
Philip has four, I'm sure he'd be happy to give you some advice

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
I am in love with ragdolls - I want one
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 15:22:41 PM »
I want a ragdoll furbaby to add to my other 2 babies.
I know nothing about them.
Do they need to be kept as house cats.
If so how do I go on with cat door for the other 2 cats going in and out all the time>
Sorry - so many questions.
I cant believe how cute they are.  it is this website/forums fault - lol
I am so in love with them - soooooooo beeeeeaaauuuuutifulll.
Amanda xx

Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)

Link to CatChat