Author Topic: MY CAT KEEPS WAKING ME UP IN THE NIGHT!  (Read 5365 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: MY CAT KEEPS WAKING ME UP IN THE NIGHT!
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 19:11:15 PM »
Aha, the good old battle of wits! If you're giving her wet food when she wakes you, you're rewarding her for waking you ....oops. I agree to ignore her, stop the wet food - if she's hungry she will eat the dry stuff - and think about shutting her in her own room (with bed, toys, food, water, litter tray) at night if you can do that.  I don't sleep well already and if I let my two 'sleep' with me I'd get none at all.
They did so when we were on holiday and I got so mad that I took to approaching them while they were zzzzzing (most of the day so that they could be awake all night) and going BOO in their ears. (didn't work).

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »
Awww bless Maddie, drives us human nuts doesn't it,

Milo plays with my feet every morning at 4am, Jess comes and pulls my hair and gets under the duvet till I get up, I try to ignore them till 5:25am which is the earliest I'll get up to them, its working but its hard work, I get up this time even at the weekends. The boys don't bother Hubby though  :P

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 01:39:57 AM »
I think the first thing to do is have her checked out with the vet to see if there is any health reason why she seems to be so hungry.......if she is pronounced fit and healthy then , sorry she is just being a cute cat  and an attention seeker ;D

She loves you  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 23:49:40 PM »
When I first got Kylie she used to pat my face etc at 5 or 6am  >:( - I ignored her for a while and in the end, she slept in until my alarm went off at 7am - It was hard to do but it really did work. You have to totally ignore them which is quite hard to do  :(

To this day, Willow still does and and she won't learn  :(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 23:50:20 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 23:44:25 PM »
I have tried to ignore her but she ends up pulling the carpet up, i am in the process of laying a laminate floor in the hope this will help!

She will just scratch at the door, or tap dance outside which will annoy you even more  :evillaugh:

I have surcome to my cats wantings and given up, I just let them in and sleep on my head. lol.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 15:56:36 PM »
Yep, nothing wrong with her  :evillaugh:

She'll claw the carpet because she knows she's not meant to, and if she does it, you will get up. Once the laminate is down I expect you will see a difference. Or she'll find something else to annoy you  :naughty:

Offline Maddie's mummy

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 15:18:27 PM »
Thanks for all your help!

Her name is Maddie and she is two years old and is my first cat since leaving home. She is all black with green eyes. She is gorgeous and I think I have probably been a bit soft with her and i really hope i haven't left it too late to start taking chrage!

This has only been going on for the last few months. I tried the automatic feeder but she broke into it  :sneaky: It seems that no matter how much I feed her she always wants more, but she is not overweight in the slightest!

I have tried to ignore her but she ends up pulling the carpet up, i am in the process of laying a laminate floor in the hope this will help!

I will try to put some pics of her on here soon.
x

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 13:27:24 PM »
My mother often says, when she passes on she wants to come back as my cat.  :evillaugh: 

Lemonie I hope we've answered your question, in part at least. ;)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 13:16:24 PM »
:tired: Lexy doesn't wake me to eat... she just wants me up because she's up  :evillaugh:

Blip does incline to Lexys view that early morning is the best part of the day, it is true.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »
 :tired: Lexy doesn't wake me to eat... she just wants me up because she's up  :evillaugh:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Lemonie.

The only advice I can offer is to ignore her.

Or you could do what we have done (we are soft in our heads  :evillaugh:) and buy an automatic feeder.  We set this to open at 04.00 every morning with Blips (wet food) breakfast inside.  She gets to eat at the time of her choosing and we sleep soundly on!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:57:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum and....the joys of having a cat.

I'm afraid that cats are way smarter than we are!  By getting up and offering her food is telling her that you're easily swayed to her way of thinking!! :evillaugh:

The only advice I can offer is to ignore her. It might mean an annoying few nights but she'll soon find a new way to do this. I get up at 5am every day but I am awake at 4am.... Teach her by ignoring her. If she's healthy and eats and plays then I would say that she just needs to know what your boundaries are.

Post some pics pls!! By law on Purrs you cannot tell us about you paddling cat and then keep us from ahhhhhing over her ;)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: Rosie and Ruby x
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 11:13:49 AM »
need more info lemonie  :shocked:
Like Gill has asked, is she still a kitten?? I take it this is your first Cat  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q&feature=related

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 02:40:06 AM »
Whats your cats name, how long have you had her and how old is she.

How long has this been going on?

Offline Maddie's mummy

• Kitten
MY CAT KEEPS WAKING ME UP IN THE NIGHT!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 01:28:42 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has any advice.

My cat wakes me up in the middle of the night, every night, by scratching at the bedroom door. The only way i can get her to stop is to feed her with wet food. I have tried leaving the bedroom door open so she can get in but she just pads around the bed keeping me awake! It is driving me mad! She always has biscuits down for her so i don't think she can be that hungry during the night, or else she would eat the biscuits!

Any help gladly received! :thanks:

Link to CatChat