Author Topic: URGENT advice please  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: URGENT advice please
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2008, 10:53:28 AM »
Lisa send both clams off and usually they deduct the excess and send you the rest, thats what happened with us anyway.

Hope Leo is on the mend now  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 20:45:15 PM »
I had a cat with that particular problem who trained herself to use the toilet! :wow: at the same time, I had a burmese who worked out how to flush the toilet so she could play in the rushing water - sadly they never seemed to get their act together so Sarah flushed after Tabitha peed .... :rofl: :rofl: the bath is fine - it is a wipe clean area that is easy to clean...

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 20:25:15 PM »
Iam just relieved that he has settled now. He's hiding in his fave sleeping place in the wardrobe a the mo. Im adding water to his food & have just ordered a feliway diffuser to help incase its stress related. In the mean time he is still going to the toilet in the bath, im kinda thinking he will just continue..Don't want him to get into the habbit but I spose Id save a fortune on litter  :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 18:48:48 PM »
It would be £50 excess per condition, as its the same problem you can start claiming, sometimes i wait to build some up before sending the form off but it depends how quick you need your dosh back

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 18:38:35 PM »
Poor boy, fingers crossed it will be better this time around

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 18:22:21 PM »
Well just been to vets again & it cost more than emergancy visit yesterday!

He had another Jab, anti biotics & some tabs to stop blockages.

Does anyone know as far as Insurance goes .. Does it have to be over the initial £50  in any one visit to claim? For example, I paid about £50 yeateray & just over £50 today.. could I claim todays costs? (Just so I don't make a complete fool out of myself on the phone!)

Offline bisley boys mum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 18:19:37 PM »
Hi Lisa

How is leo doing now? its horrible seeing them in pain and struggling to get a tiny bit of wee out. Im currently having the same prob with my cat tc. he had cystitis last week so took him to emer vet for anti inflammatory and anti biotic jab and within hours he was much happier but it has come back so another trip to emergency vet at 7am on sat for more jabs and tablets - just hope they work this time.

how much easier would it be if they could tell us what the problem is ie leo could tell you if he is stressed and what stressing him.. Has leo ever had cystitis before?

im thinking that TC's is because he lost his brother who was pts a month ago, he seemed to be doing fine, but now im thinking its related and he's stressed out poor little fella!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 17:41:50 PM »
Grass wont hurt him  ;D

If he continues it would be wise to have a urine sample analysed, if you search you'll find several stories of late of people spending hours trying to collect a sample  :evillaugh:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 16:57:51 PM »
Anyone know if I should still let him have his cat grass?

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 14:50:13 PM »
Thanks everyone.. He seems to have got better again now but this morning I felt helpless. Im so glad I booked today off too - Phew.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 13:14:43 PM »
Cystitis normally clears up in about 5 days or so (with or without anitbiotics - as it is rare for there to be a bacterial infection that requires antibiotics). As Leanne mentioned, you'll need to keep any eye on him to make sure he is still passing urine, and if he isnt then he will need to go to the vet straight away, but hopefully he will start to feel better in a few days.   :hug:

Stress in cats is a big contributing factor to urinary problems, it can be something as simple as lack of stimulation, you say the flat is quiet, and he has lots of toys to play with - maybe he's the sort of cat that likes a lot things going on to capture his interest, perhaps he needs more interactive play, as activity is another contributing factor. Diet is another factor, so its good that you've changed him onto wet food to increase his moisture intake, and I would also avoid any wet foods that contain cereals, grains, or vegetables/vegetable proteins as these can excacerbat the problem.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 13:00:24 PM »
When I took Charlie to the emerg vet last week for the same problem the vet said the anti inflammatory would last 24 hours.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 11:04:06 AM »
Awww Lisa I know how you feel I have the same problems with my little man Jess (who isn't to little either at 5.5kg)

Jess's cystitis is stress related but the anti biotics do work initally taking the pain away and the inflamation for the bladder and tubes.

If it stress related cystitis it can be very hard to treat.

Keep an eye on Leo as if he shows signs of blocking (passing tiny amounts of urine, and taking AGES in the litter tray) you do need to get him to the vets ASAP

:hug: :hug:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »
I was just also reading a thread here that said if the Anti Biotics dont work then its due to stress? For the life of me I can't see what stress Leo has. There are never any other pets here now its not a loud flat, he has plenty of hide outs if he wants to, a cat tree a 101 toys to play with.. What on earth could he possibly be stressed about (I wish I had his life!!!)

Maybe they will work & im juping the gun but I do worry & just want him to be happy  :tired:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
Well Leo was fine all yesterday evening but this morning he seems to be trying to go to the loo very frequently.. along with the whining. I know Cystitis takes a while to go but thought the anti inflammatory jab would do the trick as far as the pain goes? Pain relief didn't last long at all. Is this normal? I hate to see him like this..& wondering if I should contact the vet again? Or is this normal? If so how long will it be do you think before he feels better considering he has had the anti biotic jab too?

Thanks

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 19:20:05 PM »
Sounds good

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 18:29:21 PM »
Thanks everyone. He has been sleeping for most of the remainder of the day (Untill dinner time of course!) He hasnt been for a wee since we got home & before we went he was trying to go every 5 mins. I think he has improved loads  :Luv: I just hope this is a one of for him & he isnt one of these cats that get this kind of thing occour again & again. Ive taken his buistcits away now so wet food only for the time being

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 13:43:34 PM »
Great Le4 has seen a vet and that was cheap, round here you are looking at over 100 plus Vat to walk through thre door after driving 50 miles!

Hope he improves once jabs kick in  :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 13:38:01 PM »
Glad he is ok Lisa.
Freddy suffers with Cystitis and what your vet has given Leo is correct, Hopefully he will feel more comfortable soon.
BTW - that vet bill was VERY CHEAP - emergency consultation was £75  the last time i had to use it + meds and that was 5yrs ago !!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 12:23:16 PM »
Then I am going to have a Lion!

Good job you called him Leo  :rofl:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »
OH MY GOSH thats 2lb's away from 1 Stone! Everywhere I have read has says they get to about 20lb's but surely if they don't stop growing untill they ar ewhat 3/4? Then I am going to have a Lion!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 12:18:48 PM »
That is very good, the consultation at my e-vets is more than that, so I wonder if your vet does a Sun surgery, hence not opening till 10.30.
He is 12.43lb.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 12:17:31 PM »
It's a lot of kitten!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »
It was only £48 too which was a pleasant suprise.. He didnt even flinch with the injections bless him.

Releaved  :Luv:

Oh & he weighs 5.65 kg which im just going to convert into lbs as I havent a clue!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
Glad the vet was reassuring.  Phew!  Keep us posted on Leos progress  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 11:48:02 AM »
Cats with a close bond with their meowmies often co-pee as a means of drawing their meowmies' attention to the fact something is wrong....

I didn't know that, nearly all my cats have "shared the bathroom" with me at some point - including ones I'm fostering.

Only if they are staring fixedly at you when they are peeing, should you be concerned...

glad things went well at the Vet Lisa ...

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 11:33:45 AM »
Well he had Anti inflamotory & Anti biotic injections.. Vet said as he was still passing some urine that was a good sign. We gotta go back on Tues for a follow up. Thanks so much guys.. grateful to have you here x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 11:24:01 AM »
Cats with a close bond with their meowmies often co-pee as a means of drawing their meowmies' attention to the fact something is wrong....

I didn't know that, nearly all my cats have "shared the bathroom" with me at some point - including ones I'm fostering.

Good luck at the emergency vets, Lisa. If you're genuinely concerned then I think it's a good idea to make sure. To be honest, you'd think the vet would be grateful of people who go to emergency surgeries. They make a lot of money from them.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:49:13 AM »
Vet has no right to look at you as an over concerned puddy owner.  It's your cat and your money

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »
Yeah he is insured..

Thanks. going to leave now so will update you later wish us luck  :-[

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 10:31:24 AM »
no idea on costs, I am afraid, as have not used emergency since here, but 3 figures is a good guess I suspect. If they decide to keep him in for observation, or unblocking, that will be painful - hope you have insurance ...

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 10:29:25 AM »
Called again after I posted this & he is being seen at 10.45. He has just had a snooze & woken to much some of his buistcits & now he is back in the bath again.. Im releaved he is going in but just didnt want the vet to look at me like I was an over protective puddy owner as she did last time..

Thank god my friend is here as he is getting too heavy to cary down all the stairs in his carrier

Thanks so much for responding BC.

Do you have any idea how much an emergancy consultaion is so I can prepare myself? Are we looking hundreds as a rough guide?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
You are right to be concerned. Good luck at the emerg vet and let us know how you get on

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »
certainly sounds like it Lisa - I would be off to the vet with him if it were me. Cats with a close bond with their meowmies often co-pee as a means of drawing their meowmies' attention to the fact something is wrong - Bob used to do it and stare at me while he was on the tray. It can be controlled and treated, so don't stress too badly about it, but it does require vet attention.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »
I also caught him trying to drink it too ??????????????????

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
URGENT advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
When I got home from shopping yesterday I went into the loo & Leo followed me & wee'd on the floor right next to his litter box (which was clean & it was quite a large wee)

I thought something mite be up so kept a close eye on him. Throughout last night he went to the loo allot more frequantly than usual but only producing a tiny amount of urine. This morning he keeps going in the bath & it looks like its a pinky/ reddy colour so I think it contains blood.

Now I googled this & came up with anything from Cystytis to Urinary tract disease. Reading about blockages in male cats particulally made me panic & I called the emergancy vets straight away (Who don't open untill 10.30am.... what kind of emergancy vets are they???  >:( )

At the mo he is lying down snoozing & he has eaten/played this morning but everytime he goes to the loo he jumps in the bath to do it & not allot comes out.

Gotta wait now till half 10... I hope im not over reacting like last time.. I felt a right idiot.. can everyone confirm im not & im right to get him seen asap?

:-[
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 10:09:53 AM by lisa77 »

Link to CatChat