Author Topic: cat food  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: cat food
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 20:36:16 PM »
Kally, as JM says, PAH own does come in 2kg and 4kg bags (although JWB comes in 5kg, which I find more cost effective). IT isn't as popular here as JWB though, which is why I stick with JWB, even though it is more expensive.
Please spay your cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 20:24:05 PM »
Pets At Homes food has cranberry extract in it too. Their dry food comes in 3 sizes and you can get a sample to see if your cat likes it. They also have a return policy, incase you buy the food but your cat wont eat it you can return it and get money back or change to another brand.

If you want to save money you should go with Pets At Homes own brand, as it's cheaper than JWB but the same ingredients!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 18:27:04 PM »
Iv not tried the bozita dried either, not sure why that hasnt happened!!

If one of your cats suffers from cysititis it would be good to add wet food to her diet. Water is very important for cats like that.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:58:04 AM »
Milo has JWB kitten biscuts and loves them I get them from the vets cheaper, £1.60 for the 225g bags, I always have all flavours on the go at once and he only has 40g a day (plus wet food) so they last a fair while really.

Jess has no bicuits at all these days

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 10:00:03 AM »
Iams is definitely a no-no, would never buy it! Infact, most people I ever speak to say the same, so I'm surprised to see it being stocked at so many places (incl Pets At Home)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:02:54 AM »
Just to add that it is quite unusual to get "poultry meat meal" in cat food which is superior to "Poultry meal" which most of the premium brands have - making PAH own one of the best on the market - their 99p one is no better that go-cat though - full of additives, colourings and other nasties.

While I was at the vets yesterday, I was talking to a lady that was rehoming a cat. She said that she always fed her cats Iams. I told her that I personally didn't recommend Iams due to their alleged cruel animal testing. I vet was walking through and I asked her what she thought. She said they don't recommend it as often when cats are there with urinary tract problems, it often turns out they are being fed Iams so that alone is enough for them to tell their customers not to feed it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:00:03 AM »
Kally, you might want to shop around for your JWB, VetUK sell it at £8.05 for 2kg, and I think it is £17.33 for 5kg (not sure about p & p on that though, have only bought food off their once) - I find buying the 5kg bags is more cost effective, so I feed everyone in the house. I go to a garden centre called The Range (they have stores around the country), they are slightly cheaper than VetUK, I pay £7.99 for 2kg, and £16.99 for 5kg - both them and VetUK are cheaper than the RRP for JWB. I would get the small bags of PAH food first, mine seem to like the adult but hate the senior. 
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 23:33:29 PM »
Never tried Bozita dry but another vote for the Pets at Home complete dry, as others have said it has very similar ingredients to JWB (including cranberry extracts for urinary tract) and a really high meat content.  I always get it when it's on offer and have just got 2 x 4kg bags for £13.99.  The equivalent weight of James Wellbeloved (at PAH prices) would be £45.16.

They have a 100% money back guarantee so if your cats don't like it they will refund you with no quibbles.  The offer (BOGOF) ends Friday 29th so if you're going to try some it's worth while buying some bags while it's BOGOF.

Here's the ingredients, no added colourings, flavourings or preservatives...

Fresh Chicken, Poultry Meat Meal, Rice, Maize, Animal Fat, Maize Gluten Meal, Egg Powder, Fish Meal, Brewers Yeast, Barley, Poultry Digest, Sugar Beet Pulp, Sodium Chloride, Cranberry, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Citrus Extract, Yucca Extract, Rosemary Extract, With Antioxidant EC Additives (Vitamin E and Vitamin C) Contains Tocopherol Rich Extracts Of Natural Origin Vitamin E and Vitamin C As EC Permitted Antioxidant, No Added Colourants, Flavourings Or Preservatives.

Pets at Home Adult Complete Cat Food with Chicken is a complete balanced cat food, formulated to help maintain a healthy digestive system and urinary tract.

Made with high quality ingredients, vitamins and minerals, including a minimum of 25% Fresh Chicken, Pets at Home Adult Complete Cat Food is enriched with:-

o Natural Prebiotics - to help maintain a healthy digestive system;
o Vitamins and Natural Antioxidants - to help maintain your cat's immune system, keeping your pet healthy.
o Cranberry Extract - to help support a healthy urinary tract;
o Natural Taurine - helping to maintain a healthy heart and vision;
o Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids - to help keep skin healthy and your cat's coat shiny;
o Calcium and Phosphorous - carefully balanced for strong bones and teeth;
o Protein - optimum levels for your cat providing sustained energy.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 23:14:30 PM »
I can vouch for Pets At Home's own brand. (Premium). Pretty much everytime I've been there they've had an offer on - like Mark said; this week it's Buy one get one free (ends Friday)
Their ingredients are pretty much the same as JWB - if you go there they'll give you a sample to try out at home. Jameson LOVES Pets At Homes own, infact he much prefers it to JWB.
I've stocked up and got 12kg dry food at home now! And paid £27 in total for it!! It's gonna last over a year!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 19:28:31 PM »
PAH own brand is quite popular on here - similar ingredients to JWB but a bit cheaper and frequently on offer.  Your best bet is probably to look out for special offers - PAH do BOGOF, 3 for 2 offers etc quite often on dry food.  If you end up buying a cheap brand you can mix them - either mix them together and feed both at same time, or feed in separate meals.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 18:28:40 PM »
I don't know that one. I only buy 2kg bags as they last ages for one cat. Only 2 of mine eat dry but one is prescription. - I get Willow 400gram bags as she hardly eats. A bag lasts her over a week  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 18:13:12 PM »
I don't think Bozita is any cheaper than JWB. An excellent food is Pets At Home own brand. Not the 99p one but the premium one. a 2kg bag is about £7 but they are BOGOF this week to really good value.

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
cat food
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 17:16:24 PM »
can someone help me im trying to get some cheap cat food to mix with james wellbeloved and ive been told that bozita is a good one im trying to look for one without artificial colours now i know most of you are against the cheap brands or just dont use them but i cant afford to feed ours on pure james wellbeloved i wish i could so i mix it with cheaper brand to make it last a little longer so does anyone use bozita and if so can you send me a sample i will be willing to pay for it as i have been on the website and does not give samples or if anyone can suggest a cheap brand without artificial colouring that would be great i have a cat that is prone to cystitus so means i would rather not use ones with artificial colouring in
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Link to CatChat