Author Topic: How many pouches? (Sorry - it's ET again)  (Read 3592 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: How many pouches? (Sorry - it's ET again)
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 09:01:33 AM »
I'm sure they do - I haven't actually asked but I'm pretty certain they know what to feed him. He was a rescue cat who came to them without his tail, and is just a bit peculiar in every way - lots of personality though and likes to chew on old trainers.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »
I hope so too - Dogs can do a vegetarian diet but cat's cant. There is necessary taurine  in meat for the functioning of their vital organs and without them they can have organ failure!!

I wasn't aware of this until I got 'The Cat Whisperer'  book for my birthday a few months ago and they were very clear a veggie diet is fatal for cats in the long run!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 07:42:37 AM »
JM, I do hope your friend gives her cat either cat food or biscuits as a purely vegetarian diet for cats can cause serious health issues, such as blindness, heart issues, due to the lack of taurine.
Please spay your cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 23:44:25 PM »
he also loves my quorn veggie food.
My friends cat is a vegetarian (by choice - he doesn't like meat or fish). His favorite food is beansprouts and quorn.

Offline roque122000

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 13:05:42 PM »
My fella eats around 3 sachets a day, morning afternoon and night before bed, he has dry occasionally, not forgetting his treats, he also loves my quorn veggie food.

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 10:52:40 AM »
Fred gets one pouch a day, half in the morning and half at night with a sprinkle of dry complete on top, half an egg cup full. He also gets about an egg cup full of dry middle of the day and another small handful in the evening if he is extra demanding. Jimi the stray could eat about 4 pouches a day and the same amount of dry.... bit disconcerting really  :shify:

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 07:06:24 AM »
Thanks all - it's good to know ET may well be normal after all. Bless her she woke me at 5am for breakfast (ignored her til 6) and when I left the house she was harrassing a sleepy OH for second breakfast :-)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 22:52:23 PM »
Jameson gets a bowl of bisquits in the morning that he nibbles on throughout the day, and for dinner he gets 1 pouch of Whiskas 100g or 1 pouch of Hi Life 100g. He usually won't finish the wet food, but have a little later and then I have to throw away the rest once it's been out too long.

For such a big cat who is also very active I always thought he doesn't eat a lot. The vet said he's in perfect health and not over/underweight so I guess it's normal!

My two are exactly the same and I was worrying I was underfeeding them by comparison so phheewwww!!!

Dry food in morning which is left out all day then a pouch each at night or a tin of appleclaws (or whatever its called) or high life or Bio pate.

The tins say two tins a day and given they get dry in morning I figure thats about right but I vary what pouches they get and whiskas says 3 a day but Tesco (which they love the most!!!) says 4 a day - they both have steady weights too but they are old gents - both 11.

Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 22:04:36 PM »
Jameson gets a bowl of bisquits in the morning that he nibbles on throughout the day, and for dinner he gets 1 pouch of Whiskas 100g or 1 pouch of Hi Life 100g. He usually won't finish the wet food, but have a little later and then I have to throw away the rest once it's been out too long.

For such a big cat who is also very active I always thought he doesn't eat a lot. The vet said he's in perfect health and not over/underweight so I guess it's normal!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 21:02:59 PM »
The gravy ones are higher carb than jelly ones and more fattening - the reason I only feed them as a treat now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 21:03:18 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 20:50:24 PM »
Let her eat what she feels she needs and agree leave dry food for her too to nibble on if she likes it  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 20:22:30 PM »
She would probably be fine with some dry food, they swallow it whole anyway! I would try some round biscuits such as hills or james wellbeloved turkey & rice flavour. You can get samples from JWB website  ;D
It doesnt sound much for a cat in her situation, shes needs to get fat bless her  :Luv:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 19:49:08 PM »
If she's underweight I'd let her eat as much as she want to eat until she reaches her correct weight. Kitten food would be good for bulking her up a bit as it's higher in calories than adult food.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 18:54:53 PM »
Imho old ladies should eat as much as they like  ;D

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 18:49:26 PM »
Well ET is actually supposed to be gaining weight as she is very underwieght (she was a stray), so I just can't see why the concern that she is eating four -five pouches, especially as she is gaining wieght. She's not active - she is an old lady :-)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 16:45:47 PM »
Is ET's weight stable? Can't be overeating by too much if she's not overweight and what she noshes doesn't put on any I would have thought. I think that's usually the test cos some cats are a lot more active than others, or older etc.  You could try to get the calories per pouch out of the manufacturer. Good luck with the new thyroid tests being normal again.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 14:53:14 PM »
IT really does vary from cat to cat, and also what food they have - Molly eats more Pefect Fit than she does any other brand (so am dreading when my supply runs out). Rosie eats the most wet here, but she is the one that eats the least dry. Good luck with the thyroid test.
Please spay your cat

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 14:42:21 PM »
My lot have dry food too so its a bit difficult to compare.

Foofoo has 2 pouches a day (never cleans the bowl) plus a bit of chicken at the mo, say 1 bowl.  Fabian is on 2 pouches plus 2 small bowls of chicken at the mo.

Sol doesn't eat wet food  :tired:

xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 14:26:21 PM »
Charlie regularly eats between 4 and 6 pouches depending on if he has a little dry food.  He is maintaining more or less the same weight but is very very active and athletic

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 14:22:34 PM »
Clapton "eats" around 6 - 8 a day although there is a lot of waste that goes out for the hedgies. I think he averages 5 - 6 actually eaten. I think this is down to the fortekor giving him an increased appetite.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
How many pouches? (Sorry - it's ET again)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 14:19:50 PM »
Hello all,

I am hoping for a quick straw pole. The vet is convinced that ET has an overactive thyroid as she is eating so much even though her tests came back normal (apparantly as she was ill at the time that could have affected her readings). So she is being re-tested in a week. She currently eats 2 whiskers pouches for breakfast and 1 or 2 for dinner and then 1 overnight as well. So 4-5 per day. Now the people at whiskers recommend 3 pouches plus a little dry food (I have not bothered with dry as she is lacking teeth poor thing) so 4 pouches does not sound too much? How much do your cats each?
Rosie was only ever on dry food as she came to us very overweight so I can't compare with her.

I'm a fully trained data analyst so expect a pie chart of the results  ;D ;D

Kate

Link to CatChat