Author Topic: Rescue/Rehoming rant  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Rescue/Rehoming rant
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 00:06:02 AM »
I've seen some of these rescues on the frre classified 'we will take in any kittens or cats you have' - did wonder what their angle was and how come they had so much space and what they did with all these animals - its very scary!

I have seen and wondered about add's like this too!  :scared:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 00:00:38 AM »
Before I did rescue myself, I was against the idea of mandatory donations. I've changed my mind. Specifying an amount does help to put off casual callers. Some people are really put off by the mention of a homecheck, you can hear the hesitation in their voice.

When I first rescued the ferals, I asked experienced Purrs peeps for advice about what to ask during the phone call and compiled a list which I've since turned into a table. This is probably telling my grandma how to suck eggs, but I'll scan it into my laptop and post it on Purrs.

Speaking of rescues who seem to be taking in lots of cats and somehow have endless resources.... there was a woman on youtube who I suspected of making money from 'rescuing' feral kittens and doing it for the wrong reasons. I did post on Purrs about her, but few agreed that she seemed suspect. You can find her on youtube as "catweedhigh".

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 21:57:03 PM »
Sabrina its the thought of people seeking you out because you are the cheapest, it shows that people see adoption as a sale and really bugs me.

Amy the online questionaire is something I have been meaning to ask Ruth about for sometime.

Tonight I have sent out a whole pile of emails saying sorry nothing suitable available so no homechecks to worry about tomorrow; but then again tomorrow I have another desperate case coming in, a stray who has been fed by an old lady,cat is black/white and old lady gone in a home poor love needs a bit of luck.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 21:39:08 PM »
Oh T I'm sorry about so many time wasters.

I'm sure that the right homes will come along and fingers crossed those folks will give a nice donation.

We live back a ways off a 30mph road (there are a ton of cats in the area) and I've been told a few have been in rta's on the roads nearby so I'm scared silly every time I see a cat in the area.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 21:11:55 PM »
How about an online questionnaire with at least one reference? This wouldn't relplace the homecheck and I know references are fakeable but that extra hoop could put some unsuitable buyers off.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 20:51:11 PM »
I've seen some of these rescues on the frre classified 'we will take in any kittens or cats you have' - did wonder what their angle was and how come they had so much space and what they did with all these animals - its very scary!

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 20:39:06 PM »
I like the checklist idea, it'll just be interesting to see how honest people are though.

I think T already uses google earth. I'm sure I remember her saying she looked us up.

Maybe a short cooling off period before home visits would work. That way those who are just interested on a whim might be put off.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 20:11:50 PM »
Sorry to hear you have wasted your time with 30 unsuitable people  :(

A homing 'fee' might put off a few.

Before you home check you could use multimap and google earth to see the area, you may be able to write a few off from that?

:luck: with what ever you try

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 20:08:24 PM »
Sad to say T that time wasters are not going to go away. People will lie to get what they want.

Suggestions: home checks are mandatory. The rescue will make every effort to perform a home check, however the applicant must provide certain information prior to the home check.

A mandatory deposit should be paid to the rescue prior to a home check which will be refunded should the homecheck not be successful. The caviat to this is that if any information provided prior to the homecheck is deemed to be untrue/inaccurate, then the deposit will not be refunded.

If a homecheck is successful, the deposit can be considered as part of a voluntary donation which the rescue would welcome.

Then I suggest a google maps view to see the location (aerial view) - I'll show you how to do this.

The checklist you request them to complete prior should be very specific so that there are no semantics argued.

I can help you with this when I see you.

Any other ideas anyone?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 20:11:48 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Rescue/Rehoming rant
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 19:45:20 PM »
Have always homed my cats with the Words voluntary donation, today I had a 15 minute call at my expense to be told they had contacted me because I was the cheapest, this is happening a little too often.
Just spent last hour doing yet another rubbish homecheck, the so called quiet road was lethal and on a major crossroads. Do these morons thing we have hours to spare and bags of money for phone bills and petrol, of the last 30 applicants Not one has been good enough to have one of my cats.
Then there are the unscrupulous rescues who are selectively rescuing pretty homeable kittens/cats  then pass on problem cats desperate for help by telling the caller scroll down Catchat pages. I have an absolutely classic email about a cat needing help, the man fwd the rescues reply to me I would love to post it on here but wont because the rescue is named and is a forum member, I will save them that embarassment as they are fairly new.

Reluctanly I am going to have to work out a means of stopping all of the time wasters. Anyone any thoughts?

As for the problem cats they are safer with me anyway.

Link to CatChat