Author Topic: Milo and rasping breathing  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Milo and rasping breathing
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 08:42:15 AM »
Arh Helen I can't see anything you posted there are red crosses everywhere it must be blocked at work!

Well I took Milo to the vets and I was pleased it was Emma who was on (she has been treating Jess and know's us well) his heart was fine and she said though it was a worry for me given how it came about it is likely to be that he just over excited himself. She did say it could be diaphram related but unlikely as his had no trauma to the area.

Should it happen again though his having a chest xray.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:56 AM »
Definitely worth getting him checked over but hopefully it's just him going a bit OTT, especially as he hasn't done it since.  Let us know how he gets on at the vets.

As a guide, this is what I call panting:  Didn't get the phone out in time to catch a whole 'session' but they normally lasted less than a minute before he'd get up and wander off like nothing had happened.

He used to do it quite regularly when he was younger (4-8months), maybe every few days.  He hardly does it at all now, I think now he's turned one he's become a lazy lump who is much cleverer when it comes to playing and catching laser pen dots!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:14:09 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 10:05:11 AM »
It sounded worse than panting to be honest Helen,

He was very alert, just got up and carried on,

These cats will he the death of me at this rate though!  :Crazy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:56:54 AM »
Would you describe it as panting Leanne?  Whilst it's not 'normal' for cats to pant it's also not normal for them to chase around like loonies for 15 minutes!  Riley pants after heavy exertion - a crazy da bird or laser session.  He has had extensive tests (X-rays, ultrasounds, ECG's, blood tests) and has been declared fighting fit. 

I'd still take Milo to get checked out for your piece of mind but it could be something as simple as over exertion.  Was he quite alert while it was happening, looking around etc?

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
Milo and rasping breathing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »
Firstly I don't think my nerves can take much more but last week we were playing with the laser toy and Milo was running around for 10-15 minutes, all of a sudden he sat on the floor stretched out and was gasping/rasping for breath, it was really frighting, his heart was racing, then after about a minute he got up and carried on as if nothing had happened!

This has only happened once, but now when he plays with it he isn't quite a mad running around, I've spoken to our vet at work and said get it checked out as it shouldn't happen in a 6 month old kitten!

Now I'm thinking all sorts and getting neurotic!

Link to CatChat