Author Topic: Feeding our Cat  (Read 1993 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: Feeding our Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 21:02:46 PM »
My cat weighs 5kg, and has access outdoors. I give him a scoop of dry bisquits in morning, and a 100g pouch of wet food for dinner. He won't really eat less, or more. I monitored his eating habits when I got him and realised the previous owners had fed him way more than he would eat.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 20:13:30 PM »
Did you mean underfeeding? - 2 pouches doesn't sound much unless it is supplemented by dry.

For some reason, Felix recommend 3 a day for an average weight cat of 3.5kg - Whiskas recommend 4 a day for an average weight cat of 4kg.

Even my tiny 2.5kg cat, Willow eats 2 a day + dry.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 20:14:09 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 15:50:22 PM »
Is she getting fatter? If not then your not overfeeding. Does she have any thing else eg dry food?

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 22:34:13 PM »
HI Jackie

It really depends on thier lifesstyle and if they are active cats or not. I would say that most indoor cats would need to eat less than the outside cats if they are not getting as much excerise. Or if they are older and less active.  If all is ok at the vets and weight gain or loss is not due to any illness then for the average outside cat two pouches a day is norm and can be fed in two meals or split up in day.
Cats do tend to like to have more small meals than big ones.

Section taken from FAB web site  - http://www.fabcats.org/owners/feeding/info.html
Many cats control their energy intake regardless of differences in the energy density, moisture content and texture of the diet. In general cats will normally eat the amount of food required to satisfy their energy requirements. Cats that hunt for food or are normally outdoors for long periods of time tend to take larger meals, but less of them. However cats readily adapt to different feeding schedules and if set feeding times are used then they will normally adjust food intake to accommodate this. The energy in food is measured in kilocalories (kcal) and is derived from fats, carbohydrates and protein. It is important that the percentage of energy provided by the protein part of the diet is at least 25% of the whole, otherwise the cat's appetite will be satisfied before it has taken in enough protein for its health requirements. Similarly it is also important that the food intake level is sufficient to supply the other necessary nutrients such as fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.

and from My Moggie web site http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/nutrition.html#5
How much should I feed my cat?

The first place to start is to look for feeding guidelines on the package, they are an excellent place to start. Remember that these are guidelines only and that your pet's age, activity level and environmental temperatures all have an effect on how much your pet needs. The best method is to weigh your cat regularly and increase the amount of food if your cat appears to be losing weight and decrease the amount if your pet appears to be gaining weight. Many pet stores and most veterinarian offices have scales you can use to weigh your pet.

Young growing pets should be fed two or three times per day, with newly weaned kittens being fed three times a day and older growing kittens being fed twice a day. Adult cats can be fed free choice, once a day or twice a day depending upon the cat and owner preference. Adult dogs or cats that are overweight and are being fed to lose weight should be fed twice a day to help minimize the risk of begging.

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
Feeding our Cat
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 21:37:18 PM »
Hello

We have had our for just over 8 weeks now, as you know she is 12 years old, we were wondering if we are over feeding her, she has a pouch in the morning and a pouch at night and maybe a bit of meat from our dinner, I have been told that they should be fed 3 times a day!

Thanks

Jackie

Link to CatChat