Author Topic: Can you introduce a dog to a house of cats?  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Can you introduce a dog to a house of cats?
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 14:49:10 PM »
[
One man even sent me a list of achievements his dog had - I said it was irrelevant as my cats wouldn't like it  :evillaugh:
[/quote]

I have to know what!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 14:24:19 PM »
When we rescued Badger as a 16 week old puppy he came into a house full of cats many who had never see a dog intheir life, (well the may have through the window) and we never had the slightest problem. Badger soon learn his place, bottom of the pile. Very soon Badger and some of the cats were the best of friends.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 14:07:45 PM »
looked like a squirrel but sounded like a duck!

Sorry...just found that hilarious!  :rofl:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 14:04:11 PM »
In Jamesons old house they had dogs coming and going all the time and although he was the cat of the house he never seemed to mind. Infact, he used to love to curl up next to huge rottweilers for a good ol' snuggle.

Mind you, I think a lot of it actually depends on the dog. In that, Jameson for example doesn't mind bigger dogs, but freaked out when my friend brought her little chihuahua round. I think he got very confused, because it was so small and cat-sized, looked like a squirrel but sounded like a duck!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline bren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 18:02:57 PM »
I have done it firstly with my sons dog when we got her as a puppy she is a jack russel type, who is now 5 and thinks she is a cat i think l ;D, also with a couple of foster dogs, one lurchers one deerhound//greyhound cross 5 years old approx  the other a greyhound about 2 years old, they were fine after the cats put them in their place ! and got on really well, I have also introduced my sons Tamaskan who says withus sometimes whist he's out things seem ok though the cats were more wary with her, but no big issues.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 20:17:52 PM »
hmmmm, in terms of planning law I am afraid he may have a point. But certainly worth pursuing through council channels, if the problem is intensifying, as this changes the nature of the permission. But 'oi!' wots wrong wiv us colonialz?? :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 20:15:27 PM »
It was residential when we bought it. But he is an arrogant man. He said "I have been here 40 years and I am not going to have people coming down from London or the council dictating to me" - I wouldn't mind but he is from SA  :evillaugh:

We have quoted our right to "peaceful enjoyment" of our home  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 20:09:29 PM »
We have a vet next door. It took 2 years of fighting to get them to put in soundproofing. For some reason it is getting bad again so we are sharpening our weapons again. It's not very nice listening to a dog recovering from bone surgery that has been left alone in the dark as they do  >:( - They say it is our own fault for buying a house next to a vet - we beg to differ  :tired:

continuing the off-topic discussion, what you are describing is what is called in planning terms, 'reverse sensitivity' in that someone chooses to move into an area where there is an existing commercial enterprise that causes 'nuisance'. So, from a planning perspective they have a case. From your perspective, however, it would be reasonable to assume that the planning approval for the operation of the veterinary clinic would have been conditioned to ensure that it did not create a 'nuisance' for residential neighbours (unless, of course your home was used for commercial purposes at the time consent was granted. If, when you bought your house, it was in residential use, then council should have provided appropriate conditions to ensure that the commercial use of the neighbouring property was not one which created the conflict (hope this helps)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 20:04:05 PM »
MrsR it can definately work. It does depend on your cats, but it is definately easier to add an older dog who has lived with cats than a puppy. Puppies are into everything and they don't discriminate. They like to play with everything and everyone that is likely to annoy any cats who aren't used to living with dogs.

It is a change for your cats but it's something they should get used to. You should find that the cats end up in charge of the dog. What I would recommend is to introduce your cats to a dog, so invite someone around with a bomb proof dog (a dog who won't react to your cats). Then see the reactions of your cats, it's normal for them to be very wary - when they realise the dog isn't going to harm them that's when they start to relax.

I'd personally say if you want a dog and are prepared for a dog then go for it. This is coming from a dog person though  :Luv: :Luv:

Thanks hun, like the idea of finding someone with a bombproof dog, good idea.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 19:39:03 PM »
MrsR it can definately work. It does depend on your cats, but it is definately easier to add an older dog who has lived with cats than a puppy. Puppies are into everything and they don't discriminate. They like to play with everything and everyone that is likely to annoy any cats who aren't used to living with dogs.

It is a change for your cats but it's something they should get used to. You should find that the cats end up in charge of the dog. What I would recommend is to introduce your cats to a dog, so invite someone around with a bomb proof dog (a dog who won't react to your cats). Then see the reactions of your cats, it's normal for them to be very wary - when they realise the dog isn't going to harm them that's when they start to relax.

I'd personally say if you want a dog and are prepared for a dog then go for it. This is coming from a dog person though  :Luv: :Luv:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 19:25:23 PM »
We have a vet next door. It took 2 years of fighting to get them to put in soundproofing. For some reason it is getting bad again so we are sharpening our weapons again. It's not very nice listening to a dog recovering from bone surgery that has been left alone in the dark as they do  >:( - They say it is our own fault for buying a house next to a vet - we beg to differ  :tired:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 19:11:41 PM »
Mark - you must be my twin ! ;D
I can''t stand crying babies or barking dogs either -and the same -neither are allowed in my house .
In fact its a child and dog free zone !

:evillaugh: I was thinking the same.

Next door have a little yappy yorkie which thankfully I can't hear from in here! I feel sorry for the dog though as it never gets taken on a walk, the "owner" just lets it out to pee on everyones car in the car park and then it goes back in  :tired: (sorry off topic!!)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 19:02:49 PM »
I can''t stand crying babies or barking dogs either -and the same -neither are allowed in my house .

When I had my B&B, I didn't allow either. You would be amazed at how many people had babies that don't cry and dogs that don't bark  :evillaugh:
One man even sent me a list of achievements his dog had - I said it was irrelevant as my cats wouldn't like it  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 18:45:59 PM »
Oh, and Shadow doesn't bark unless he has good reason to do so, although he has been known to let loose a long howl on occasion, which is stopped in mid-stroke by the word No and not repeated.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 18:44:26 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 18:20:27 PM »
When Shadow arrived I had three resident cats. One was completely accustomed to dogs, Bob had met a friend's great dane once but not been impressed, and Claudius was a rescue, but I don't think he had met a dog before. Shadow, of course, at four months old and having lived at the RSPCA all his life had never met a cat. When I took him inside, Bob, to my great astonishment, went straight over to him and gave him a very affectionate headbutt. Ralfie ignored him and Claude, after a few hisses wandered over to see what he was. Shadow was, however a very passive, timid puppy.

I would never get a bouncy, high energy puppy to introduce into a cat household, and even with an older dog would avoid breeds like terriers or other bouncy animals. It has to be a dog who is willing to take things slowly and sit obediently while the cats explore the dog, rather than running in sheer terror when the dog rushes up to them. The only other time we have had a cat-dog encounter was when the kitten was being introduced into a dog-only household, and that was rather more exciting ... :scared:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 17:48:17 PM »
Sharon & I met a beautiful dog in the pub today. She didn't bark and rolled on her back etc. She was such a character  :Luv2:

As much as I love dogs themselves, I can't bear the sound of barking - It does my head in. I am the same about babies crying - I just cannot stand it so neither are allowed in my house  :evillaugh:

I know there are placid dogs that don't bark. I considered adopting a dog from dogs trust last year. They said that I could take a dog on trial - maybe that would be the way to do it? - When I lived in London, I had a lodger Monday to Friday (a really good idea if I say so myself) who went home every weekend. He had a housekeeper but asked if his dog would be able to stay in my flat during the week. I said he could bring her round and see how Kylie reacted. The dog was lovely and wanted to make friends with Kylie but she went mental. I said I felt awful but it was unfair to her so the answer was no. I felt even worse about a week later when he told me the dog had died  :'(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 17:59:19 PM by Mark »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 17:41:37 PM »
Just my personal opinion - i wouldn't do it in my home
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 14:22:34 PM by bunglycat »

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 17:25:16 PM »
Would never do it myself -don''t think it fair on the cats .
There is someone round the corner from me , has 3 cats and keeps taking in rescue dogs ( she works at a rescue dog place ) - now fort 5 dogs , the cats are terrified and wont go home - one got bitten badly on the leg and is too scared to go home ( birman!) and now just wondered round going to other peoples houses to get fed .
They are out all day and night .
I went to the house and i wouldn''t have ventured in -snarling dogs at the window, barking, scratching at the door - i felt if i had gone in , i would have had my leg off !!!
Poor cats !

I am sorry but I do not intend to take on a lot of dogs and I intend to do it correctly.      If done correctly I am sure it can be a happy house.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 17:21:43 PM »
Would never do it myself -don''t think it fair on the cats .
There is someone round the corner from me , has 3 cats and keeps taking in rescue dogs ( she works at a rescue dog place ) - now fort 5 dogs , the cats are terrified and wont go home - one got bitten badly on the leg and is too scared to go home ( birman!) and now just wondered round going to other peoples houses to get fed .
They are out all day and night .
I went to the house and i wouldn''t have ventured in -snarling dogs at the window, barking, scratching at the door - i felt if i had gone in , i would have had my leg off !!!
Poor cats !
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 14:22:58 PM by bunglycat »

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 16:22:54 PM »
I am not an expert so I could be mistaken, but my gut feeling says it would be better with a dog a little more mature than a puppy, perhaps, if possible a dog who has some "experience" living with cats.  Puppy can be a right nuisance especially for cats who are not used to any presence of a dog, there is much more possibility of some fur flying if a yappy overzealous puppy arrives in the household...

In any case good luck, hope you will find the right doggy and your kitties will be okay with it...

Good point actually - an older dog thats use to cats won't go insane will it - we would want a rescue dog anyway and it would be easy to find the right rescue dog if its older.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 16:21:00 PM »
I am not an expert so I could be mistaken, but my gut feeling says it would be better with a dog a little more mature than a puppy, perhaps, if possible a dog who has some "experience" living with cats.  Puppy can be a right nuisance especially for cats who are not used to any presence of a dog, there is much more possibility of some fur flying if a yappy overzealous puppy arrives in the household...

In any case good luck, hope you will find the right doggy and your kitties will be okay with it...

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
Can you introduce a dog to a house of cats?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 16:01:01 PM »
My husband has wanted a dog for as long as I have known him and I have too but its never been the right time for a dog but it is looking like it could be right this year however, our cats are our main concern.    Now they are all rescue cats and so there is no way of knowing if they are fine with dogs or have lived iwth dogs in the past, the all obviously run when they see one outside or hear one and we have never had any one come over with their dogs to the house.

Now I am thinking if we did get a dog it would be best to get a puppy - am I right in thinking that?

Can older cats who have lived for many years in a dog free house get on with  dog or is it something that is a definate no no?     

Our house is large and there are lots of escape routes, etc.

So many thoughts ae running through my head as I want to do this right and do not want to upset my furbabies and stress them out.

Link to CatChat