Author Topic: Lovely cat - taken for PTS for scratching toddler  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Lovely cat - taken for PTS for scratching toddler
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 23:20:06 PM »
I have to say, although Jake is vocal, he hasn't scratched me once. He did give me a nip but I can't blame him as he was stuck in a cage going along at 80mph with an idiot telling him "It's OK"  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 22:13:32 PM »
I can't understand why anyone would put a cat to sleep for being a cat.  >:( It's more than likely the toddler was poking or pulling and Jake said p*** off in the only way he could.

Glad he's safe now, he sounds like a real love.  :Luv2: I hope he finds a willing owner slave soon.

Toby's quite a shouter too - I can get a real operatic aria out of him when I give him a bath...  :-[

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 19:23:37 PM »
Smidgen actually exercises remarkable restraint. I have rarely heard him let loose at all. My mother had one who was so loud that when she shut him in the back shed one day the neighbours half a mile away came down to see what had happened (quite village, any excuse to nosy around, lol). But Bardy was a real horror :shocked:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 19:13:05 PM »
LOL Oh the joy of owing an oriental.   I've got used to the embarrassment now .... the trouble is alot of people only get to "meet" a Siamese / Aby / Havana etc at the vets and they think they make the horrendous yowling all the time and this puts them off the orientals.

Personally I love the fact I have loud cat ... it makes them so much easier to find when they get shut in places they shouldn't be!   :rofl: :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 19:09:19 PM »
and my siamese Pavarotti was named for his lung capacity. He was tiny when I took him home but I had to wind down the car windows because I was getting a terrible echo effect inside the car ...

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 18:34:07 PM »
Hello Sam
True works my Leo (siamese) can yell for most of the UK.. its sometimes very embrassing!!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 18:24:06 PM »
I thought if anyone hears him, they will think he has been in an RTA or I am torturing him  :Crazy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 18:20:20 PM »
I didn't know a cat could make so much noise, non-stop for so long  :Crazy: He didn't flinch when he got his jab though  :evillaugh: - He jumped on the counter and sent syringes etc flying  :evillaugh:

You've obviously never had the privilege  horror of taking an oriental to the vet Mark  :rofl:  Our old Siamese was famed for his "voice" and stroppy attitude at the vet and Zephyr makes such a noise in the car that you can see people on the pavement looking at the us when we stop at the traffic lights and that's with the windows shut and him in his carrier  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 08:36:19 AM »
I hope the girls do decide to keep him - the fact that they obviously looking after the 20 year old speaks volumes. I understand that liking a cat and taking it on are 2 different things. I'm sure he will get a good home soon. Anyway, as much howling as he did in the car, he wolfed his tea down so he couldn't really have been that upset  :Luv2:
I didn't know a cat could make so much noise, non-stop for so long  :Crazy: He didn't flinch when he got his jab though  :evillaugh: - He jumped on the counter and sent syringes etc flying  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 08:38:04 AM by Mark »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »
Aww, fingers crossed for him. I always think that if people can have a cat for that long and do things like that, they are best off in our care - I have had a couple of 13 yo's that way - one at the vets (Tom), and one the vets refused to make the app for, they convinced him to speak to me first (Tiger)
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »
He really is a character and "talks" to you  :evillaugh:

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 01:02:52 AM »
Ooooooooohhhhhhhhh...fingers crossed for Jake,little sweetie deserves to be the centre of attention  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 23:08:34 PM »
I took Jake for his 2nd Jabs tonight. He was a big cry-baby in the car. I have never seen a cat get so upset  :'( - As soon as we got to the vets, he was purring, despite there being dogs around  :) - Anyway, there were two young women who fawned over him. Caroline was in the vets again and we both said to the girls that interested, he is available. We told them that he was 12 but they said their other black cat that they were at the vet with is 20  ;D - She both said how sleek and handsome he is. They are going to have a look on Catchat and hopefully give Sharon a call about him  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 14:19:23 PM »
He must have been looked after as he is in great condition and his teeth are pure white. I will try to remember a camera when I take him for 2nd vacs later in the week.

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 09:20:51 AM »
Sadly this wasnt the end of Jakes story. Although i dont think it would be right to post about the saga, what i will say is that it would seem Jake has been unhappy in his previous home for 2yrs. He didnt have any outside access and was probably bored, terrified and unhappy, with no escape. So although he came to us in unfortunate circumstances, i do think this is probably the best thing that could of happened to him. With luck there are many years left in him yet!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »
It baffles me who someone could have a pet for 11 years and be willing to part with it so easily without a conscience   :Crazy:

Exactly my thoughts about our foster cat Magnolia - she is 11 and they had her since a kitten but suddenly decided they didn't want her anymore  >:( and then told DD they had her booked in to be PTS and they wanted her gone before family came visiting  >:( >:( They even booked her into a cattery I believe before the "PTS date" so she wasn't in the house  :(

Its so sad because shes so nervous and it makes me wonder how they treated her. She loves people though, I woke up this morning and she was paddling the life out of me  :evillaugh:

Sorry to go off on a tangent. Poor Jake, as he is in such good condition you wonder if they had him as a baby "substitute" and he was well looked after until baby came along and now he is being pushed out?
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 08:36:15 AM »
Forgive the frivolous remark:

"Is it because I is black?"

>:(
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »
this makes me so so mad and sad  >:( :'(. I have to say I heard on the grape vine about a cat who looks just like him who maybe taken in to be put to sleep because of scatching the toddler I wonder if its the same cat

Offline Moggy73

• Adult Cat
  • mum to Boris, Poosha and Chicken
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 13:21:56 PM »
You'd think that the excuse would be a little more adventurous ! :-:

Blame it on the toddler .. no need to feel guilty then as its for the good of the child.. :shify:

I would assume the toddler was being a stereo typical 2 year old and the cat was being a cat .. i cant imagine the cat would attack for no reason!
Shame the parents were not a little more patient and eager to educate the child about what kitty tolerates and what he wont.. Im sure in time todller and kitty would have become bestest friends..

Guess we'll never know the real reason

Such a shame though. :(

He looks such a cutie too ..xx
'one cat just leads to another'
    Earnest Hemingway

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 13:02:45 PM »
sadly another story that occurs all too often.  If we had a pound for every cat that came in the door with that story I'm sure we'd be millionaires by now!! <sigh>
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 12:03:56 PM »
I do agree with the undoubtedly irresponsible owners and their lack of educating the toddler.  However, I think there should not now be a 'vendetta' against all toddlers or cat owners where 'children' come along.  It's taking things out of proportion.  I can appreciate the anger against unreasonable and silly owners but we need to make a distinction.  I have a toddler at home, four cats and there is just me to do it all and work as well.  Yet it is all working out and the toddler knows how to treat animals.  He does not even squash flies or other insects but looks at them for ages.  And I am glad some shelters are open minded about children.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 08:30:37 AM »
It baffles me who someone could have a pet for 11 years and be willing to part with it so easily without a conscience   :Crazy:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 05:24:06 AM »
It probably is just an excuse. Maybe the child 'came along' and they are finding they can't cope with the cat anymore. And people wonder why some of us are reluctant to home where there are children!  :tired:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 17:22:33 PM »
Definately just an excuse I think.

Glad he is safe now and can be rehomed to a knowledgable and loving family

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 17:14:19 PM »
Can''t they have the toddler put to sleep -more trouble than cats -the owner is no better -she should be put to sleep too !
Make the world a better place without these sort of people with their attitudes towards animals !

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 16:24:03 PM »
Well I have 4 cats and a toddler (2 years, soon 3) and I would never dream of giving the cats away if they scratched him, which on the whole has not happened often.  However, the times he has pushed my youngest ginger cat Theo too far, he learned his lesson- nothing major but he realised that they have their limits (although big softie Lennie does not seem to have any...).  He is now getting so much better and even has started to help me brush them and feed them treats.  As has been said already, children have to learn but getting rid of an animal because it scratched, is not teaching any lessons or rather a bad one.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 16:03:20 PM »
At least he's in a safe place now.  :Luv:

How will kids learn that kitties may look fluffy and sweet  ;) :Luv:, but that they can't be treated like dollies!

Cotton-wool kids often end up being cruel to animals because they haven't learnt that animals will retaliate; scratches and bruises are part of growing up.....

Excuses, excuses, makes me mad to hear it yet again ( we all know the feeble excuse Lesley and I were spun regarding my 3!  >:()

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 15:47:21 PM »
It was probably an excuse - although he does seem to be in very good condition for his age. Especially the teeth. Who knows  :Crazy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 15:16:22 PM »
He looks a softy!  :(

I was over at CC's just last week when Leo (her 3yr old, my Grandson) was annoying Macy....Macy had enough and told him off with her claws...he looked at me for sympathy and although I love him to bits I told him that it was his own fault!  :shify:

Very lame excuse me thinks!  >:(

He is lovely by the way!  :Luv: :Luv:

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 15:12:39 PM »
This is Jake who i have just posted about on the child board of Rescue.. Sorry for the duplication. Mark can you upload those photos there pls?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Lovely cat - taken for PTS for scratching toddler
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 15:10:24 PM »
Apparently  :tired:

They said he was attacking their 2 year old. He is very nervous but still wants a fuss. Sharn was a bit miffed as it has taken her a week of cooing and singing to him to get close but he let me fuss him and even pick him up for a cuddle  :evillaugh:

I forgot his name - Sharon will confirm

He is approx 12 years old but has perfect white teeth  :Luv2:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat