Author Topic: Sill worried about Simba  (Read 16197 times)

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
Re: Sill worried about Simba
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2008, 10:38:57 AM »
Thanks Jackspratt xx
Caroline xx

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2008, 10:33:32 AM »
Poor Simba and poor you. Hope the vets can help.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »
Simba is still a sleep day+night he only moves to go the toilet and to have a bit of food,he seems to have gone of the kitten food as well now too :( noticed this morning that his left eye is starting to close a bit. He seems to be taking a much longer time to get better this time,have to take him vets again on tuesday. :'(
Caroline xx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »
Just looked at the prices of the d/d hills food, just won't be able to afford them at that price. will have another talk with the vet next week and see what he recomends at a prie we can afford.x
Caroline xx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »
Ok thanks guys, yes have a litter tray in he house aswell now Linda xx
Caroline xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2008, 02:25:56 AM »
you can get prescription foods from VetUK - if you do go through them, please use one of the rescue links on here (fraid I have no idea where they are though!!), as we can get 5% commission. We ordered the RC Sensitivity this week, and it arrived the day after.

If you go into "links" in the top blue and white tabs....and scroll down you will see top 5 links....1 of them is for Vetuk!  ;)

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2008, 00:23:59 AM »
Thanks Linda, the food that he is usually on, he has turned his nose up on them,thats why I thought of kitten food as he needs high protein (as the vet has told me) his tummy problems has seemed to of settled now, tried the d/d  food which pappilon sent me and he gulp it down, the others cats were trying to get at it to but Simba wouldn't let them have any anyway.he pooed in the kitchen floor earlier but it was firm, (which is good) so he still must be feeling down but that is prob cos the antibiotics still in his system.Gonna have to see how much this d/d venision food is. Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to order it from if I need to keep him on it. Thanks Caroline xx

No problem Caroline.  Glad to hear that his tummy seems to have settled.  Did you bring a litter tray indoors?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2008, 00:01:04 AM »
you can get prescription foods from VetUK - if you do go through them, please use one of the rescue links on here (fraid I have no idea where they are though!!), as we can get 5% commission. We ordered the RC Sensitivity this week, and it arrived the day after.
Please spay your cat

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 23:48:52 PM »
Thanks Linda, the food that he is usually on, he has turned his nose up on them,thats why I thought of kitten food as he needs high protein (as the vet has told me) his tummy problems has seemed to of settled now, tried the d/d  food which pappilon sent me and he gulp it down, the others cats were trying to get at it to but Simba wouldn't let them have any anyway.he pooed in the kitchen floor earlier but it was firm, (which is good) so he still must be feeling down but that is prob cos the antibiotics still in his system.Gonna have to see how much this d/d venision food is. Does anyone know where the cheapest place is to order it from if I need to keep him on it. Thanks Caroline xx
Caroline xx

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2008, 20:32:47 PM »
Hi Caroline

Hopefully the vet will get to the bottom of whats going on with Simba soon x

Whilst you are waiting id try not to continually change what hes eating (not suggesting that you are), best to leave him on whatever you feed for a few days to see how he does before switching to something else that way you can work out what is not agreeing with him.  Although he probably does look like he needs built up beware of any foods with high protein content, my experience is that depending on whats wrong, this can upset the tummy more.  Id settle for something of medium protein and that is sensitive to the tummy, i might even try liquidising his food a little to aid digestion.  He will build up far quicker on something that settles his tummy than a high protein one which causes further upset.

I really do hope you can get this sorted soon.  Big hugs to you and yours  :hug:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2008, 14:30:10 PM »
Got the samples Pappilon :thanks: will give him some later :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 14:01:59 PM »
Thanks guys, he just wants to gulp it down so fast everytime he see's it but he can't have to much as once, but you would think that I never feed him the way he is eating it.xx (he won't let the others go near it)
Caroline xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2008, 11:54:47 AM »
oh caroline, hope this gets sorted, I know when tilly had her bengal tum it was pretty hard work

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »
Here's hoping that the kitten food settles his tum!  :wish:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 08:01:45 AM »
Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 23:53:18 PM »
The vet finally rang me about 8.45pm he said that Simba should be fine on the kitten food to help build him up as long as it doesn't give him the runs.And he should be ok up untill the age of about 3 years old.I asked him about the D/D food he said it is very good but very expensive,but he also knows of cats that have been on it all the time and still suffer with bad tummy's. I will see how he goes on the kitten food to try and build him up .xxx
Caroline xx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
Rang the vets but he isn't in till 2.pm and then he might have to go straight into surgery,so he will ring me as soon as he can. Will let you know what he says then.xx
Caroline xx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »
 :thanks: very much guys for all your help :Luv: I  am going to ring the vet this morning, so I will as k him,  Simba is still very quiet and just sleeping most of the time, he has gone of his normal food totally, thats why I brought some perfit fit kitten wet food yesterday and mixed it with his food and he gulped it down. :'(
Caroline xx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 09:44:15 AM »
Have you tried either Hills i/d or RC sensitivity foods as they are designed for tummy problems? both companies will take food back (if you get it from the vets) if he doesn't like it. My Max was also put on venison D/D for vomiting but he didn't much care for it. It's quite different from most cat foods in smell and (I think: haven't personally sampled it!) taste. Has the vet given you any Diarsanyl paste as that works to settle tums as well.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 09:27:30 AM »
kitten food will probably be too rich for him Caroline, when my 2 benglas had tummy problems it was difficult because boiled chicken was always recommended but it always made them worse.  I think if it was one of mine I would be asking the vets to do more tests to try and get to the bottom of the problem, it cant be good for his system being on so many antibiotics all the time.

Get better soon Simba xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 08:07:13 AM »
I would be a bit reluctant to try him on kitten food in case it flares up - best thing would be to ask the vets advice.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 23:17:03 PM »
Caroline, if you want to try the D/D Venison tinned diet for Simba, pm me you address and i will send you few to try , i was told is best to add some warm water from boiling the kettle not tap water to the food and it might help. If Simba likes it and your vet agrees it might help cos of IBD. :hug:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
Do you think I should put him on the kitten food I buy to build him up abit?
Caroline xx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 14:22:17 PM »
Gill I B D is inflammatory bowel disease,as Pappilon has described.
Yvonne Simba has stopped going the toilet in the house now,and is using his litter tray that is in their own private made toilet house which is in the cat run. They do have a litter tray each. I will have a look at the website you sent me,the rows with everyone has stopped now,from our Michael,he and his girlfriend are renting private and he will be moving out in a week or two.Then we will only have 3 sons living at home our Den moved out at xmas time to get a place with his girlfriend too.
Linda thanks for your advice,his stools were runny,but he hasn't been in the last couple of days,he had an antibiotic injection this morning which should last for a couple of weeks,then will take him the vets again,Have to ring the vet on Thurs to let him no how Simba is. Simba does have gassiness and was a bit bloated,his weight was the same as a few weeks ago,but still seems to thin,Simba has been suffering from this on and of since we got him last April,but over xmas he seemed to be ok for a few months.He hasn't had any stool testing but has had blood tested in the past.Which he was low in his white blood cells. Thanks for your offer for any advice  :thanks:
Thanks Pappilon, I have been asking the vet about changing his food, but he told me to wait untill he was better, I will ask the vet about the food you have just mentioned. Thanks to everyone for all your help :thanks:
Caroline xx

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2008, 00:34:46 AM »
Hi Caroline, i just caught up with this tread tonight, i do hope Simba gets better soon. :hug:

You mentioned IBD, is this  inflammatory bowel disease? IF it is then my cat Boy was diagnose with this after tests done in RVC , he is a moggy ,any how they told me IBD is an overpopulation of the gut with white blood cells that in part are stimulated to be there by an allergic to the food passing through and they instructed me to give him Hill's D/D Venison tinned diet and nothing else, not even treats , they said with this diet its unlikely that hewill have developed any kind of hypersensivity to it and it limiting the inflammatory reaction in his intestines.

I appologise if that is not the case for Simba, but when i saw IBD, i thought it might help him if you try Hill's D/D Venison diet. :hug: :hug:

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 22:04:38 PM »
Hi Caroline

Just caught up with this thread so ive not got all the background.  Apologies if i am going over old ground.

Dietary problems are a common cause of vomiting whether they are primary (over eating, gorging, too rich, too fatty food) or secondary to some other cause of vomiting (such as a gastric infection).

As you will be aware bengals have pretty delicate stomachs.  I would suggest a low fat, easily digested, medium protein diet fed in several small portions over the day. Ive found Hills Feline i/d Diet and Eukanuba cat intestinal food to be very effective. 

Sounds like your GP may think there is some sort of gastric infection of the tum given he is treating with antibiotics........id be asking whether its possible to give the antibiotic via injection or even if there is a liquid alternative (my bengals seems to react better to this). 

Can I ask a few questions?  You mention that there is blood in the stools - what are the actual stools like?  Normal, runny?  Does Simba have a bloated tum or any gassiness?  How long has Simba not been right?  Has the vet done any stool samples given the blood or any other tests?  How much weight has Simba lost?  Again apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

I would like others plead with you to put a litter tray in the house for Simba ........... stressing him out at this time will not help.

Im here if you need any advice/someone to chat to xxx

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 21:00:59 PM »
Hello Caroline just caught up with this thread tonight.  How is the toileting problems with Simba now?  you have received very good advice so far, the only thing that I can see that is not mentioned is that in the areas where your cats usually pooh or pee for that matter, place a saucer of biscuits because they will not toilet close to food.

Take a look at these litter boxes

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hooded+litter+tray

I hope that the arguments have ceased and family have come round a bit.  Believe me I know what it is like when there is an atmosphere in the house - not nice.

:luck:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 20:37:37 PM »
Sorry what is I B D?

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 20:10:01 PM »
Finally rang after 4oclock, have to ring the vet up at lunch time tomorrow to tell him how he is, so I can't give Simba another tab till after that or maybe he will have it in injection form, the vet said that sometimes they don't like the taste of the tab and will bring it back up. But Iam worried about his weight aswell and he seems so skinny compared to our other ones.But he has alway been small. The vet also said that so many breeded cats seem to suffer with I B D and in Humans it is a faulty gene,but moggy's don't seem to suffer from it (hardley ever) moggy's are more immune to it.xx
Caroline xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 19:51:51 PM »
Sounds like antibiotics may not agree with him.......have you heard from the vets?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 19:52:17 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »
Gave him a tab this morning and he was sick nearly 20 mins later, clear brownish liquid. Rang the vets at 8'0clock and again at ten still waiting for them to ring back, was told they are so busy this morning and will ring as soon as poss. Simba hasn't eaten today, but was trying to get at Corky's beef food, but he not allowed anything apart from chicken flavours.The vet told me the night before last that that does happen with food they shouldn't eat,they will crave it all the time even though they can't have it as it will do them no good.He has seen it in Horses to when they have been poisened by a certain thing,they will go and try and eat it again. :Crazy:
Caroline xx

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 14:21:15 PM »
 :thanks: Dawn xx
Caroline xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 13:21:29 PM »
poor simba hope he is better soon

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
Thankyou Bazsmum xx
Caroline xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »
Aw bless him..... :ahh:

Sending healing vibes his way~~~~~~~ :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 11:08:22 AM »
 :thanks: Gave him a tab this morning, then he had a lil bit of food 10 mins later he was sick :'( rang the vets again they said not to give him another one till tomorrow morning and see how it goes,if the same thing happens will have to maybe give him different antibiotics. Simba is on my shoulder now as I am typing purring but still meowing for comfort,which I am giving him (poor baby) xxx
Caroline xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 07:37:01 AM »
Good luck
Please spay your cat

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 22:29:06 PM »
 :thanks: Going to pick up a ten day course of antibiotics in the morning,been giving Simba a lil bit of water through a syringe thing which I got some down him, and he did have a lil bit of nm food before, will ring him again in a week to let him know how he is getting on.  :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 20:35:49 PM »
Sorry, didnt mean to mislead anyone.

I hope that Simba is feeling better soon. xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 20:25:10 PM »
OOps, sorry Dawn.
Sheryl, the problem is someone else could read your advice and think it is OK to feed a cat raw mince for 24 hours - it isn't complete, and if a cat isn't used to raw food, they are likely to bring it back up again. Bland food is better.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat