Author Topic: Fur literally peeling off  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Fur literally peeling off
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 03:30:10 AM »
Why don't you just borrow the trap from a local charity and take on the job of trapping the cat and taking to vet yourself? This would circumvent the stupid PTS policy with many CP branches and the RSPCA have re FIV/FLV cats. This would involve your time and committment and also mean that you would have to care for the cat yourself while it is recovering and until you can rehome him. Personally, I would do this rather than leave it to the large charities with dubious policies.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 17:39:15 PM »
if the cat has FIV or something equally serious
:censored:  FIV is not what they make out, many FIV cats die from kidney failure and other non related illnesses.

If you would say which county you are in there may be someone on here who can help you with out putting a sentence over his head.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
MArk, not all RSPCA's will pts FIV+, it is something that like CP, they are allowed to make their own decisions on. My local one do, yet the rescue's local one don't - fortunately there are 2 other rescues in the area that dont pts FIV+, and one has taken from 'one of the large national charities' (their words).
Fingers crossed for this little man.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:18:31 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 21:30:52 PM »
Which kind of means that if the cat has FIV then it probably will be PTS..
FIV isnt a dangerous disease it fact its very hard to pass onto otehr cats but it makes rehoming alot harder and holds up pens. Also a cat that has been out all its life may not adapt very well to an indoor/enclosed home...

So healthy cared for FIV cats can live just as long as normal pussy cats, we are sponsoring a FIV/ thyroid puss at the moment and she is around 15 yrs old!

So I would make sure what their policy is healthy and treatable FIV cats shouldnt be put to sleep, just because they are harder to rehome. FELV perhaps another issue.

Only today we took in a puss that proved positive for FIV... a full tom, but very friendly only 2yrs old..
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 21:31:54 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline ManOfCats

• Kitten
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 19:44:13 PM »
I just got a call back from the RSPCA. The woman I spoke with is bringing round a humane trap either this evening or tomorrow, hopefully, and she'll be showing me exactly how it works and everything so if it happens to catch the wrong cat, like one of ours, I can release it.

I did ask about their policy on putting cats to sleep, and she told me that they only consider that if the cat has FIV or something equally serious that could be fatal to the cat, or if they have something dangerous that could be passed on to other cats. It did seem like putting the cat to sleep is very much a last resort option, as she said they do try to re-home the cat if at all possible, which I think it is with this cat.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 18:58:18 PM »
I know our local CP used to pts all FIV cats, my friend used to work there and any that were suspect, I used to get them in at my vets for neutering.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 18:58:41 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 18:52:02 PM »
They are allowed to make up their own minds on that topic.
Thats great that canterbury cp recognises they deserve a life as much as a fiv neg cat  ;D hes a lucky chap landing with you

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 18:39:32 PM »
Really, I'm amazed their isn't a policy. We had one test positive today. He won't be getting PTS  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 18:36:02 PM »
Theres several CPs (probably more if i actually asked) that pts FIVs same as the more well known culprits....

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 18:05:12 PM »
Cats Protection and independent rescues have a no-kill policy

Sadly Mark that's not true of all.  It's worth asking the questions before they take him, if you are prepared to take him back, make sure this is crystal clear to them.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 17:41:00 PM »
I would be careful with the RSPCA as there have been lots of stories about them. Especially if the cat is older with health problems, they are likely to euthanise. Cats Protection and independent rescues have a no-kill policy - unless of course the animal is suffering.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 17:41:24 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 17:39:39 PM »
Please ask them what they plan to do with him if he turns out to have FIV or will cost them more than £60 to treat, cats that fit this description are often PTS.
Are you having him back?

Offline ManOfCats

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 17:17:03 PM »
I just got off the phone with the RSPCA. I told them about the cat, and they're passing the information on to one of their local resource centres, and they're going to get a 'humane trap' and assess the situation to see what needs to be done. Hopefully, they'll be able to catch the cat and get him the treatment he needs.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 11:27:34 AM »
Ah, he is such a little sweetie. Hope you can manage to get him and vet him

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 17:46:55 PM »
Poor chappy  :( lucky hes got someone to help him. What area are you in? Are you able to keep him?

Be careful shutting him in your house, they can sometimes get a bit angry  :scared: :evillaugh: If you cant pick him easily your local rescue should be able to lend you a trap to do the job safely  ;)
:luck:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 17:11:56 PM »
He looks as if he also has a flea allergy, keep us posted on your vet visit  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 15:51:56 PM »
the fur looks very bad on that side, hope he is friendly so he will let you help him.  :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 15:38:02 PM »
oh me that one actually looks worse, he looks far too thin under that fur of his  :( 

Will he let you stoke him to pick him up and pop in a cat basket ?

Offline ManOfCats

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 15:02:43 PM »
The cat was back a few minutes ago, and while he looks as bad as he did last week, the fur on his left side is starting to grow back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/MrRimmer/437d98d5.jpg

That's a picture of what his left side looks like, and while it looks pretty rough, it's actually better than how that side was looking just last week, when it was almost totally bare.

He didn't stay long, but did eat a little of the food I put out for him, which I guess is better than him not eating anything at all. I'll have the means to take him to a vet from Thursday, at which point it becomes a case of waiting for him to show up again and trying to get him in the house and then capturing him.

He returned briefly, so he appears to be eating the food a little a time before wandering off.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 15:04:57 PM by ManOfCats »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 18:15:22 PM »
My goodness he is almost like Misas twin brother and thats the plces that Misa doesnt groom well.

Agree he lookes badly matted but I know Misas fur is so long and thick he has problems keeping it nice. I am sure he would like a little help and boy to have two that looked like Misa.................dreams  ;D

Here is Misa just for reference, Ummmmm he is the B&W one!  I thought I had a picture with similiar view to yours but cant find it,  Misa has more white I think but they are just so alike  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 14:15:17 PM »
If a rescue sorts him out. They will put him up for rehoming rather than back "on the street" - I don'y think he would be waiting long either  ;D

If you look on www.catchat.org - they will have a list of rescues in your area. If you explain about his condition, I'm sure they will make it a priority to get him sorted out. Thanks for looking out for him  :hug:

If he belongs to somebody, they aren't doing a very good job and every cat deserves a good home  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 14:16:36 PM by Mark »

Offline ManOfCats

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 14:00:26 PM »
keep us posted though , its nice when we hear of these cases then see before/after shots when they have been given the chance to blossom.  Is he quite friendly / tame ?
If the cat gets sorted out, they'll likely be more pictures taken as he's a regular visitor. He's very friendly, if a little nervous.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 13:56:44 PM »
No probs  :)

Well he does need abit of tlc thats for sure so my next step if i were you would be to either organise the vets yourself or see if cpl could help you out (sorry i am presuming you are in uk ? )

apart from the obvious issues he probably needs a good deworming program & more than likely with a coat like that some good flea treatments etc.

keep us posted though , its nice when we hear of these cases then see before/after shots when they have been given the chance to blossom.  Is he quite friendly / tame ?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 13:54:22 PM »
What area are you in?

Offline ManOfCats

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 13:52:26 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. As far as I know, he's a stray, but we've taken a stray to the vet before to get help so that part shouldn't be a problem. However, there's nobody here at the moment who could take him to the vet so I'm kind of helpless right now. While I haven't checked lately, I'm reasonably sure the cat, if male, is neutered. The cat was last here yesterday evening, with the pictures taken a day or two before that.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 13:40:33 PM »
from what i can see in the pics it is matts or fur that are hanging off, the skin underneath may be sore and possibly infected.  Someone might have had a bash at clipping him and possibly nicked his skin but i cant tell that from the pics.

Do you know if this cat has an owner ?

regardless of hows and whys its obvious he certainly needs probably veterinary attention for a probably sedative and a good clip & clean,  If he's a stray and you dont feel inclined to take him on (or cant etc) then i'd contact relevant cat charities in your area to see if they can help.

Do you know if he's neutered ?  he looks like quite a big lad so its possible he hasnt been in which case that definately needs doing along with possible fiv/felv testing prior to hopeful rehoming.

(he's lovely by the way though, a lovely big chunky head just the way i like em  :Luv:  )

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 13:37:31 PM »
poor thing, it looks like its in a right state, hope you can find someone to help it

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 13:34:49 PM »
It could be because he's so matted bless him  :(  What area are you in or could you get this kitty sorted yourself?  Do you know if he's a stray or not?  If he is, he does need some help and I'm sure if close enough, one of us on here can help you.

Offline ManOfCats

• Kitten
Fur literally peeling off
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 13:31:43 PM »
One of the visiting cats that comes around for food, while usually looking healthy, has looked terrible the last couple of times they've shown up. His coat is dirty, but the worst thing is that his fur is literally peeling off of his body; it looks like the someone peeled it off like they'd peel an orange. On the first visit that I noticed this problem, there was a huge patch of bare skin on his left side, with abrasions on the skin. There was no scratching or tearing or any kind of marks that would indicate a fight; it was as if someone shaved him, but badly. Late last week, they returned, but he was worse. He had a giant chunk of fur on his right side flapping loose against him, looking like it had been peeled off.

I managed to take a couple of pictures of the cat while it was eating, and I'm linking to them so you can get a better idea of what might be wrong with the cat,  but they look pretty rough, at least close up, so be warned:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/MrRimmer/dbd90770.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/MrRimmer/092994cb.jpg

If this is something that could be the result of an illness or infection, I'd like to know so I can keep him away. But if it's the result of mistreatment, I'd equally like to know, so something can be done for this poor cat.

Link to CatChat