Author Topic: I never thought I'd become a cat person ....  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
Re: I never thought I'd become a cat person ....
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 08:45:37 AM »
Growing up I was never allowed cats and only one friend had them so I wasn’t really exposed.

Dad didn’t like them (they just weren’t dog like) and my grandfather hates them.

So it wasn’t until I was about 19 that I was talking to a coworker that I thought a cat might be nice, we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment so a dog was out of the question. She had one that she was looking to “get rid of” and I said I’d take her.

After work I went to pick up this little grey and white cat who I named Ashlyn (Ash for short). She must have been a street cat as she had one heck of an attitude but I loved her for it. She was also the first cat to ever bite me and I learned the hard way that cats teeth can go through flesh, nails and nearly bone (I still have the scars) but she was protecting our new kitten from a friends dog, so I didn’t mind so much.

She was my first and I do miss her, she enjoyed sleeping on my chest at night and our latest adoption Smoke who after a year (and no history at all was given to us by the rescue) has become a snuggle cat and sleeps on my chest or legs every night.

My dad is currently living with a cat as his girl friend moved in with him and brought her cat Shadow. Poor Dad put plastic covers on the sofa and won’t let the cat in the bedroom at night – he’ll learn. You’d think he discovered a new species of animal though the way he goes on about her (the cat not the 30 year younger girl friend!).

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 21:01:54 PM »
She is a little catalyst of love  :Luv:

I like that phrase!

You may be right and it's so nice seeing the soft side of a man when he's got a kitty plonked on his chest first thing in the morning!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 19:28:56 PM »
Funnily enough, I started seeing my current boyf just after getting Lily, I wonder if I would have got her if I met him a few weeks earlier.....

I think the question you should ask yourself, is more 'I wonder if I would have my current boyfriend if I had not got Lily?' Having a cat in your life allows you to be more relaxed about your relationships with other humans because the cat provides you with the love and affection you are also seeking in your relationship with a man. Lily gave you that, which meant you were less 'needy' in the emotional department, when you met your current man. She is a little catalyst of love  :Luv:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 07:20:42 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl:  Am loving this thread!  I too, always pegged myself as a dog person. 

I had nothing against cats, I just didn't understand them and had little experience of them.  OH was totally opposed to having a cat too.  I won't bore you with the details of how we acquired our first, except to say she was a little black and white waif and stray who booled along on terribly windy day almost under the wheels of my OH's vehicle.  He picked her up, but couldn't find an owner anywhere about, took her to the police station who said they "didn't do" cats, and so he brought her home, so we could advertise for her owner.

Needless to say, she stayed with us and our then dog Super K.  She converted us both and from then on in, we sold our souls to the feline Gods. 

Now I understand cats.  They're sneaky  :sneaky: , devious  :shify: and devilishly cunning - they're great!!!  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 23:25:23 PM »
We always had dogs when I was growing up - Dad hated cats! and I never really thought about them much, but then I met my husband to be, who was very much a cat person and had 2 cats at the time (persians funnily enough) and I decided that as soon as we'd got our own home we were gonna have some cats! Hubby happened to be away for a couple of weeks on business - being bored, I wandered over to the local pet shop, only to find 3 little black kittens for sale (this was the 1970s when kittens were freely available in petshops) - that was it, they all came home with me and presented hubby with a 'fait accompli' on his return LOL

And so much for my dad hating cats! - him and mum were visiting once and were sat on the settee. I noticed that my little tabby Heidi had crept up between him and mum, and dad was gently stroking her without actually realising he was doing it  :Luv2:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 21:44:16 PM »
Funnily enough, I started seeing my current boyf just after getting Lily, I wonder if I would have got her if I met him a few weeks earlier..... It's funny how life works out sometimes.

I wonder if you would have got the BF if you hadn't got Lily? Just a thought but perhaps Lily helped you to relax and that helped a little?

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 21:25:14 PM »
I would be banned from rescue sites and the re homing page here if my OH had anything to do with it. So many deserving kitties need a good home I would happily take them all but OH keeps putting foot down!!

Trying to persuade him we can make room for *just* one more....

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 19:27:04 PM »
I can see myself getting another cat too.... would love to.. But boyfried reckons one cat is enough for now, especially as we're planning on getting a dog in the future. One day though.... I would love to go to a rescue centre and just ''have a look''   :sneaky:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 20:04:51 PM by jamesonsmum »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 18:53:15 PM »
I like a few others  I was only allowed a hamster when I was younger, and even then it was kept in the garage! When I was at Uni my ex decided they wanted a cat and so we got a pure white cat called Rizla or 'Rizzy', I was never a cat person but the bond I built up with it was something I never thought could happen (hamsters dont exactly shower you with signs of affection! lol)

When I bought my own house with the current (more permenant) other half I never thought seriously about getting a cat even though it had crossed my mind. Like someone else said, i did not want to commit to a cat as I like travelling and not being tied down as such. However we ended up looking after (would you bloody believe it) a HAMSTER!!! Little nelly was cute though and the only Hamster who I know that never bit anyone no matter what you did, she also liked jumping of the sofa into friends handbags (and once head first into a half full glass of water!!) She survived a 8 hour waterfall of boiling hot water from a burst pipe leaking through the celing while we were out(not a mark on her which was unbelievable).

Then out of the blue Nelly gets poorly and has to go on a holiday under the patio (according to my nephew). It was then we got a phone call from an Artist whos dads a Judge, that a pair of lesbians has a kitten left they need to get rid of. Well we cruised down and this is what I saw...

I rescued him from the lesbians and he became Barry 'Battlecat' Nash. He is a rare breed only found in Manchester known as 'Domestic Chav'.

Below you will see him joyriding in a Burberry Collar!!

Now just deciding whether to get another!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 18:56:13 PM by SpecialRed »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 16:44:06 PM »
If someone had said to me 2 years ago that I would have 2 cats and be as in love with them as I am I would have thought they were crackers  :rofl:

I was attacked by an ex's cat a few years ago and always hated cats from that point  :-[

But in the summer of 2006 we went to visit my Hubbys Aunt and Uncle and they have 2 adorable simease cats, Bingo and Bongo, they will play fetch with you for hours upon end bring the ball back and if you ignore them they will tap you leg until you throw it again, anyway we left the Aunt and Uncles house with me having totally fallen for these 2 and also I had no allergies to them (I'm a big hayfever and eczema suffer) so we started looking into getting a couple of cats, we enquired with a few breeders about different breeds etc but Hubby wasn't 100% sure that he wanted to pay between £700-£1000 for 2 cats, so we cooled the search. We did consider getting a dog as I can bring a dog into work etc but I wasn't 100% sure and wasn't sure I wanted the daily responsibility of commuting into central London with a dog, so we were off that idea.

Anyway around Christmas time 2006 early 2007 I stumbled upon Cat Chat and sent Hubby a link, he spotted a black and white cat called Princess, and said if I still wanted a cat to enquire, so I did. The rescue called me back and said Princess was booked but they had another b&w cat come in (I wanted a black and white cat) and told me all about Jess, we agreed to go and see him.

To say I was scared was an understatement, we were told Jess was very timid and scared so to take our time, but I went into his pen and straight away he came to me and rubbed himself around me and was headbutting my legs. He was picked up and he jumped into my arms and we had a massive cuddle (I've got tears in my eyes writing this) he was purring his heart out, Hubby had a cuddle and the decision was made Jess was joining our family. As we put him down he ventured out of his pen and apprently that was the first time he'd been out since he arrived.

3 days later we were home checked and Jess arrived, (the Charity kindly brought him with them when they home checked us as it cost uf £60 in taxi fees to visit him) he came out of his box and onto my lap and we watched the ladies leave. Since the day I met Jess I've been bowled over by how much I love him, and how strong my feelings are for him (I can't imagine what it must be like to have a baby). And now we have Milo the love is the same, I adore both of them so so much they mean the world to me, I hate leaving them for any period of time, they love and fun they bring into our lives is remarkable.

Anyway I've gone all soppy but I love my boys like I never thought I could or would and everyone who knows me has a giggle that I'm now a mad old cat woman because its something I never thought I would be

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 21:35:32 PM »
My now husband Robin got me Sweetie, Toerag and the Goldfish the late Flash and Moby and my Border Collie Breeze as a package although Breeze lived with my parents due to work commitments.

We now have 38 bundles of fluffy cats still led by Sweetie and Jazz joined Breeze as his ears when he went deaf - Robin said no to Jazz, and my Dad got her as my birthday present (yup I am a Daddies girl) and when i was working in Dublin last year Robin stayed at home with Jazz and the 36 Cats and then agreed to Sky our new BC puppy joining us.

We are cat people but I love my doggies and Robin although not a doggie person can be found playing Rugby with Sky at teh weekend and Tennis when he comes home at night as Sky is waiting with his tennis ball on the back step!

So all in all th Clan cats and dogs have doting parents, confused but 2 doting Granddads and 1 doting granny who love them all and were really pleased with their Purr's diary for Christmas took them ages to figure out Ace and Diva plus the newest additions Panther and Raven weren't in it still neither was Sky and Jazz was a february surprise for them - always said Jazz was a cat in doggie clothing! :Crazy:

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 18:54:48 PM »
A colleague of mine disliked cats (but tolerated them if necessary).  A friend of his died, and rather than take her cat Mouse (for that is, indeed, his name!) to a rescue, he took him in to his own home, instead.  Now he is entirely besotted, can't wait to get home to play with Mouse, and adores his company!  ;D
My dad reckons he is allergic to cats, and therefore hates them. He is a dog person 100%. He always moans about cats pooies in his garden, and if he only could  :censored: the little  :censored:... So, we never had cats as kids, however, I'm convinced it's all talk, cos since we got our Jameson he has softened up BIG time... and will always ask about Jameson first whenever he calls. :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 18:52:21 PM »
I hated cats and would hiss and stare and clap at them  ands then one day a little grey cay with big yellow eyes came walking towards my garden. I tried all the usual things but she kept coming! She was a new cat in the area.

It was a hot Aug BH Monday and I was catching some rays.

I went back to my position on the grass and next thing I knew was one furry body lying between my body and my arm.

I called her Kocka cos I thought it rude to call her cat and Kocka is cat in Czech and sounded better  :rofl: :rofl:

She had some milk and the only other thing I had in th fridge which was salami. I kept putting her out of the house when she kept walking in and thought that she would be gone when I got home from work the next day.

However at lunch time rushed out to a supermarket and got a couple of cans of whiskers............sigh...............I hated cats  :rofl: :rofl:

Heart was in mouth when I got home, but there she was in my back garden waiting for me!

Over the next couple of months she moved in and by October we had a cat flap and not long after she had me under her paws and duly trained to open the flap for her to go out and to go out all weathers so she could climb on my shoulder from the kitchen window sill to come in , after banging on the window or scraping her claws down it.

I have never looked back  ;D

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 18:41:35 PM »
What heartening sentiments! It's true, they go for the emotional jugular without even realising it!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

A colleague of mine disliked cats (but tolerated them if necessary).  A friend of his died, and rather than take her cat Mouse (for that is, indeed, his name!) to a rescue, he took him in to his own home, instead.  Now he is entirely besotted, can't wait to get home to play with Mouse, and adores his company!  ;D

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 15:14:58 PM »
I was never a cat person. I just didn't "get it" I really didn't get why people loved cats so much. Even working with them I though cats were 'ok' but I still didn't want them in my garden  :-:

Then along came the little 3 week old babies  :Luv: Just holding them so vulnerable relying on me to feed them and having their little feet clinging to my finger .. particularly Memphis just floored me. I totally fell in love with him .. I still don't know what it is about him as I could take or leave his siblings (he was always the fun one).

Anyway I already want another cat and can't imagine life without one  :-:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:35:19 PM »
I'm exactly the same. I have always loved cats, but never planned to get one. Infact, I was just about to get a dog when this little furry bean strolled into my life. I would say he adopted us rather than the other way round. The dog plans were forced to be put on hold for a while....

I am now completely head over heels in love with this furry packet of love and could never imagine my life without him! The people around me thinks I'm crazy, and I proudly agree by calling myself the crazy cat woman. I don't care. I'm glad this forum is full of like minded people like myself.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »
I was exactly the same, my OH has always had a cats but I pegged myself as more of a dog person. Before we got our 2 we talked about getting a pup as I really enjoyed walking my neighbours dog (even in the rain).

After weighing up options he talked me into getting one cat but we settled on 2 because I fell in love with a poor O.A.P puss who had been in rescue over a year. After 5 weeks I can definitely say I am a cat person, anyone coming into contact with me has to listen to me gush over my babies and the OH just laughs at the amount of time I spend crawling internet to get as much info as I can to help my boys.

I want another but OH says house is too small.......

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
I've always been a cat person. I always had my OH down as a non-pet person, except his fish which are pretty much just for looking at. I suggested cats because I missed Casper fully expecting him to say no. But he seemed really keen on the idea and when we were waiting sometimes he would be the one to suggest visiting them.

It was so funny to come home a few days ago to find him lying on the sofa with both cats asleep on him!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
    • The Pet Extraordinarium
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »
Got to say, Lily, I'm the same.

We had a cat growing up who lived to 16, but I was about 15 when he died. After that life moved on, went to college and then university, got my own house, got a decent job etc, etc. Not once did I consider getting a cat, or indeed any pet. For one thing I suffer from asthma and hayfever!

Then 3.5 years ago I met my fiance, Michelle. She had a house rabbit and, when we moved in together, suddenly i found myself with a pet bunny. After we bought our house together, Michelle started saying how she really, really wanted a cat. After several months pondering the situation I started to come round to the idea, put aside my fears of allergies and being tied to the house (don't ask)...and got Josie for Michelle's 30th birthday (Michelle cried  :shy: ). 2 years later and we now have 3 cats and 2 house rabbits...and dearly love all of them! I couldn't imagine life without them now...
:boxer:   www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk FOR COOL, FUNKY, GOOD QUALITY CAT ACCESSORIES
10% of every order donated to cat rescues if you click on the link at the bottom of the page!!
The Extraordinary Pet Blog - http://thepetextraordinarium.blogspot.com

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:55:12 AM »
They do that. I've always been a cat person, but I've seen people who say they don't like cats become completely obsessed. :Luv: They go for the emotional jugular every time! ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
I never thought I'd become a cat person ....
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:03:31 AM »
... but I'm hook, line and sinker in love with my cat.

I didn't have any big pets growing up (only hamsters and goldfish) so was always a little wary of cats and dogs.  I thought cats were evil things, only nice to you when they wanted something and not as bouncy-happy as a dog, so I thought I'd always get a dog when I was older. 

Well I'm older now and would love a dog, but I work full time and live in a small flat so it wouldn't be fair.  Then, for some reason I started thinking about getting a cat in November last year, I have no idea where this came from, I think I was lonely and resigned myself to the fact that I live alone and might continue living alone for a long time, so I wanted some company.  Purely selfish reasons I know.  I thought a ball of fluff might be nice to come home to. 

So I phoned Cats Protection and in about 2 weeks found me a lovely, friendly kitty who needed a good home.  I picked her up a few days after Christmas last year and I SO wasn't prepared for what was to come. 

She has her own little personality and jumps up on my lap for a cuddle every time I sit down, she follows me around and when I disappear upstairs I can hear her searching the rooms for me before finally finding me and just sitting by my feet.  OK, she is a cat so is quite manipulative about food and where she wants to go, it's not her fault if you're trying to work or if your feet are exactly where she wants to sit right now.  But she's oh so cute.  I talk to her, worry about her and give her big hugs when she looks at me with those big eyes, trying desperately to tell me that she wants to go outside or wants more food or wants to play.  I'm wrapped around her little paw and she knows it. 

Funnily enough, I started seeing my current boyf just after getting Lily, I wonder if I would have got her if I met him a few weeks earlier..... It's funny how life works out sometimes.

Link to CatChat