Author Topic: The runs....  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: The runs....
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 11:25:33 AM »
Glad she is much better,

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 23:19:28 PM »
Sure is. Check out the "For Cheesecat(Dawn)" thread on the general section and you can see her. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 17:54:34 PM »
Glad shes back to normal  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 11:19:31 AM »
She's fine today, MM. And yes - the lucky little madam got sat in the bath and sprayed down on her bum! (Obviously, she didn't think she was lucky.)

Everything was fine until she took it upon herself to eat far too much fish from the other cats bowls.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 17:45:41 PM »
Have you bathed her? Theres flys about even in this weather and fly strike is not a nice thing to experience  :sick: I would also trim her trousers, with round end scissors  ;)

Are you sure its just the salmon? Was she ok before that? One portion wouldnt normally have such long lasting effects

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »
Thank you. :) She seems a little improved today - my partner seemed to think she'd steer clear of red salmon in the future, but I have my doubts.... :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »
My vet recommends fish and/or chicken. Just bland white fish. I get the basics fillets in Tesco 800gram pack for about £1.50. I used to buy coley but found this goes down just as well and 1/2 the price  :) - I would also make sure it is served with the juice to help with dehydration.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 22:58:32 PM »
Plain baked (roasted) chicken would be my recommendation too. Definitely not rice (its a grain/carbohydrate - far more likely to excacerbate the problem!) nor bread (wheat - not a cat thing LOL!) Meat based baby food? - only if thats all thats in it, check, as many contain onions (and no veggies either) You could also try the Johnsons diarrhea tablets, I've used them successfully with Jasper (he's longhair and hyperthyroid - so occasionally gets a day of the runs) I just crush the tab up and mix with a little of the bland food, its usually cleared up by the next day.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »
I have no idea. I asked so I knew, not because I as going to do a runner if the outcome wasn't what I expected!

I've just looked it up and apparantly rice is OK. (We have rice!) And bizarrely, bread is on the list....also meat based baby food. :-:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
Grr! Now that annoys me...why cant people just be truthful?  :Crazy:

Erm....white fish...not sure which though as I dont touch fish!  :sick:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 11:48:52 AM »
Hmmm....not sure I have any chicken. Any other suggestions?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:44:53 AM »
Dry food isn't normally recommend after diarrhea, it is bland food like chicken.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:41:10 AM »
She's such a sweetie. But when I picked her up, I asked if she'd been flead and wormed and was told yes. I thought her tummy was a bit on the swollen side and was dubious - I gave her a milbemax on Friday....guess what I found when I cleaned out her tray Saturday?

I was also told she'd been spayed. I phoned both vets locally to where I collected this little girl from and asked if they had anything registered for the address I'd collected from - they didn't. So, I emailed the lady back that I got her from to give her the benefit of the doubt, but she never replied; I wonder why.  :tired:

Afterthought:so maybe dried food for the next day,just to ensure her tummy gets back on an even keel?(And confined to barracks? :evillaugh:)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:43:08 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:29:16 AM »
I think I would just give her bland things till her tummy settles as you know what has upset it!  ;)

Long haired cats vs "The Runs"  :sick: :sick: :sick: threefold!  :tired:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
The runs....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »
:sick: How long do they usually last for? A youngster that we're caring for was given a spot of salmon last night and we left a bowl with a bit for each of our four on the landing. Unfortunately, said youngster obviously hadn't been exposed to the joys of salmon and snuck out onto the landing and stole a chunk of my mobs as well!

She's now suffering with a delicate belly for her efforts....and she's long haired. :sick:

Is it best to give her a day off food to get her back on track? And how long on average does it last? (Have to say, I've been lucky with regards to this - I can't remember mine ever having it.)

Link to CatChat