Author Topic: Need opinions on what to do  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Need opinions on what to do
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 09:21:07 AM »
Fingers crossed the new owner will get her spayed.
Please spay your cat

Offline MCAW

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 21:25:53 PM »
Hi JS

Glad the problem may be sorted,  >:(If you do contact her It may be worth mentioning the RSPCA voucher as this does not cost them (the owner) anything and if she has gone to an elderly person she will qualify for a voucher.

Another thing you could do if you have the persons address is ask your local RSPCA inspector to call and see what the situation is at the household! She may be breeding kittens to sell via such as the Buy Sell (I don't know if you have this in your area) If this is the case the RSPCA may well go and have a look, possibly neuter all the adults then some rescues will help out with taking and re homing any kittens.
The reason I suggest this is because of the new law that came into force last April gives them the right to take any animals that they don't feel are being looked after properly where in the past they have only been able to take them after an act of cruelty had taken place!!
I know some people don't have very much faith in the RSPCA but some of the inspectors are actually very good

You can do this without having your name mentioned!

We have actually taken tiny's in for the RSPCA just to save the little lives, we have had alot from Wythenshaw in Manchester, Runcorn and other bad areas.

Take care
Jo at MCAW :Luv:

Anything is Worth a try just to stop what she is doing!!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 20:30:59 PM »
Tempted to....may well do that tomorrow.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 20:19:28 PM »
I think I would be tempted to respond - 'well I hope you told her about the CP vouchers and she will make it a priority to have her speyed!!'  >:(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 19:55:32 PM »
Just received this:

"Hello

*** has now gone to a very loving home. My friends elderly mum has taken her in. Thanks"

So that's that really. Thank you all for your help and advice, I really appreciated it.  :)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 19:39:10 PM »
Thanks Teresa, MCAW and Desley. :) Still waiting to hear from the lady after her practically turning up on the doorstep when we chatted on the phone last night. I do hope she hasn't given the poor thing to someone who will abuse the fact she isn't spayed. :scared:

Will let you know more when I do.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 18:48:23 PM »
There is a chance that she has been indoor only and not got pregnant - my first mum and kittens was a 5yo female, who had been left unspayed due to being indoor only and got out once at the age of 5. And as far as we know, Blackie had never had kittens - although that is probably why she developed mammary cancer, she was 14. I hope that there is a good outcome to this one.
Please spay your cat

Offline MCAW

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 18:44:44 PM »
Hi JS

As said by others, you really do have to be careful, It's a damn shame and :'( she really does need to be neutered but the problem with people like this is they will soon go and find a replacement for her! The other thing you need to bear in mind is this person may not be telling you her true age! (not that it would matter) but this is sometimes one of the reasons these idiots want rid! If she is an old girl she could have many health problems! She sounds like she may be suited to a stable or smallholding home (if what you are being told is true about her being dirty) but they are very hard to find!

One of the problems rescues have is the more problem cats and old cats you take in from people just wanting rid is you can end up with so many you soon find you don't have room for the genuine (out on the streets with nobody to care cats and kittens) it is very hard to say no but you either become a retirement home for the unhomeable ones or you carry on to rescue and re-home. In the case of most rescues you can't let your heart rule your head! We all love them just as much (otherwise we would not be doing this work) and yes we are all voluntary workers.

We have several golden oldies and younger ones with problems that nobody will take on, we also have to be careful as to increasing the amount because you can soon upset the balance and end up with them fighting etc. We have to think of their quality of life and the dangers of overcrowding! as we are only a small set up.

At this time of year it is very difficult for rescues as it is kitten season (having said that there are kittens all year round!) We have already got most of our Mum and Kitten pens full! and we know we are going to be inundated with sick mums and babies (it happens every year!)  the cost for veterinary treatment is horrendous!! but in my opinion (and it is only my opinion) these are the ones that need rescue centres more than ever!
We have some horrendous ares in our catchment and beyond that we end up taking from year after year! otherwise the kittens end up being thrown around by the local louts! (and worse!) It's very frustrating but no matter how many pens you have it is never enough!
We do alot with feral cats and kittens as who is there for them? as long as we can neuter the adults put them back (and keep the kittens) :) thats fine!

It is so upsetting about cats like this one but with the best will in the world you can't save them all!! (she could get a neuter voucher for free from the RSPCA) but obviously she couldn't care less!!
I could tell you alot of story's about how people will con you into taking on a major problem!!
Please try not to beat yourself up about it even if you can't help it at least you care!!

Jo at MCAW
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 18:52:27 PM by MCAW »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 16:58:06 PM »
JS have sent you a very hurried reply  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 16:28:12 PM »
Teresa, don't worry I'm not offended. It's good to hear from someone with a lot of experience. To be honest, I'm not sure what I'd say to the local rescues - I asked the local CPL to send an email asking the site to reconsider allowing animals on (which they did) and also another small rescue. (who never answered me.)

It breaks my heart to see animals being put on this site along with 3 piece suites and vacuum cleaners, but as I'm on a limited income freecycle is a useful resource to me when it's used for what it should be. As I said earlier, I have emailed Freecycle myself not only asking them to reconsider, but when they wouldn't do that asking them if they would allocate a moderator specifically for animal ads - I volunteered to do it myself in case they said they had enough work as it was. I really don't know what else to do.

I'll PM you all the info I have and see what other advice you can give.  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 15:40:21 PM »
JS Sorry will admit my reply wasnt helpful; afraid people will tell you any old lies when they want to off load an animal and this woman certainly sounds desperate. A few thoughts, this cat may just be very dirty around the house, she may have health problems, she may be pregnant or have just weaned kittens and woman wants rid of her in order to keep a new female for breeding, in short you dont know, this woman seems to know the system, I doubt she has bothered to contact rescues shes probably heard its easy to jump the queue and get a placement by advertising this way.
Sorry dont mean to sound harsh , yes this cat needs help but so do the ones who are already out on the streets suffering and getting further down the waiting list because of these advertisers.
If you take this cat on,what will you do about the next advert and the one after that.
Perhaps you could contact all your local rescues and explain your fears?
What area is this cat in?
JS not trying to be unpleasant with you, I know you are trying to do your best :hug: if I can help in any way let me know.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 15:14:20 PM »
Harna - I could do that but it would be about the 50th time.

The rule varies from region to region.

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 14:57:06 PM »
A cat on Freecycle?????

I've been using Freecycle for a couple of years now and I thought the rule was that NO animals were allowed! The only living things I've ever seen Freecycled are plants!

I'm disgusted - in fact, I would complain to your Freecycle moderators!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 14:54:09 PM »
LOADS on ours at the moment, Leanne.  :(

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 14:49:44 PM »
I don't know why I am but I am, shocked that someone would put a cat on freecycle

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 14:43:04 PM »
There was no mention of kittens or the possibility of kittens - but it doesn't mean that isn't the case I suppose. I'll contact a local rescue and find out what kind of support I can get if that's the case.

To be honest, I'm concerned if I DON'T take her off the site someone will spot the potential to make money from her.

Thanks everyone.

(Teresa, I was hoping you'd check the thread - you and DD are so practised at dealing with "awkward" situations!)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
2 year old unspayed female, my first thought is Where are her kittens or is she pregnant.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »
Really tough one as we can't help every cat that is on a site such as this, but with her being unspayed, it would be about a million times better to get her into somewhere where we can spay and stop litters.

I guess I would feel that if you have a short term space and have the time and money to spay, then it might be better to get her in and sorted. Maybe a short term period of difficulty and change is better than a long term future of breeding for this little one (especially as she's grey which we all know, people love).

Good luck and let us know,

J x
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »
Desley, I think she has tried the rescues if I remember the advert right. She doesn't sound prepared to wait if I'm honest.

MM, I'm starting to think that's my only option.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »
Sadly it is breeding season. You need to be very careful at offering to foster cats, as if you dont have a rescue backup, how are you going to find homes for them? And not all unspayed cats are 'easy' - the last two males I have had to get neutered have both only had one descended testicle, which can be very expensive to sort (not to mention the smell). HAs she not contacted rescues in your area?
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 11:11:41 AM »
Could you take her and in the meantime look for a rescue place or foster for her that would be more suitable cat wise?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Need opinions on what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »
A two year old grey (female) cat was offered on Freecycle yesterday so I contacted the poster to see what the problem was. She informs me this cat is so nervous of her other cat, it literally messes itself every time the other cat is in theroom. She said she'd tried everything (I said "have you tried feliway?" and she said she'd looked at it but hadn't tried it. :tired:) Anyway, the conversation took the turn of "I'll talk to my partner and see if he'd mind us fostering her in the "spare" room." I asked her to confirm the age again and then said "so, if she's two, has she been spayed?" And she said "No. But you can get vouchers at the CPL for £5." (If she knew that why the heck wasn't the cat spayed!)

My dilemma is, said cat couldn't be a long term foster as it would disrupt my cats and if the lady is right (which I'm not convinced she is) this cat is nervous of other cats. The problem is she seemed pretty set on giving her away then and there. I said I could get transport either the beginning of next week or this weekend and she offered to bring her round! This in a phone call literally minutes after I'd sent the email.

As the title says, opinions on what to do, please? And unfortunately, I get the feeling time is of the essence!

*As an aside, I just looked on Freecycle and there's another cat on today.....do you think it's breeding season by any chance?*

Link to CatChat