Author Topic: Cat Runs  (Read 2168 times)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Re: Cat Runs
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 19:34:25 PM »
Gillian that's lovely.  If we were ever fortunate enough to move to a house with a garden that's something I would love to do.  Cristiano has a garage space near the flat of his family (his kids & ex), which he uses sort of a storage now, and it has a nice garden with a big apricot tree, already pretty much enclosed and may not require too much work to turn it into a cat safe garden.  It may be a consideration to fix it up so we can take him out there and let him play outside while Cris visits his children.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 18:33:14 PM »
there is a company in Oz that makes cat runs which I have used in the past and found wonderful. The runs are constructed from half-inch square wire mesh which is self-supporting (which means you can make them yourself if you are a handy sort of person. Their website is (i think) catnip.com.au. If you browse through the options you can get ideas for your own cat run which you can make yourself so that you cat has lots of opportunities for interesting outdoor exploration, while restricted to a safe place. They usually connect to the house by a cat flap. You can insert a catflap into a panel of wood and slot it into an existing sash window so no need to damage the house .......

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 15:12:56 PM »
 :thanks: Sam, I've had a look at it and there are some really good ideas!!
"Be the change you seek in the world"

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 14:58:45 PM »
The following link may be of interest to you:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4802.0.html

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 14:26:03 PM »
 :) Well it seems as though this is definitely something I am going to consider, and if I can do it myself even so much better.  Luckily I stay in a very small town and there is more than enough space to build something for them behind the house, and there are some trees as well that can be used as part of the cat run.  I just have to get permission from my landlady...  I have the perfect window to do this from... the one that Samui is lying on in the pic...
Samui is doing a lot better, but he's not been outside again.  I am sure he'll get used to something like this, and Sullivan 2 because he doesn't go out at all - he's been out on his own once and not for very long.  I am going to search for more info on the web.  I have not seen many cat runs in South Africa but maybe I'll be starting a new trend over here when people notice how happy my two boys are and how my nerves have calmed and that they'll always be safe. 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 13:59:56 PM »
Cat runs are a great idea. I don't have one now as all mine go out into a safe garden. I had one quite a large one built at my old house which ended up taking up about half the garden (about 60-70 ft long garden) It led from the back door where there was a cat flap round to a big shed which was part of it, then round in an L-shape across the front of the conservatory. I filled it with plants in pots, a water feature and it was tall enough for humans to walk through easily, in fact I used to spend most of my time in their because I had garden furniture and it was just like it was part of the garden. Its not always easy to get cats who have previously had free outdoor access to adapt to being confined to a cat run, most of mine did but one never did.

Heres a few pics:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »
Hi, I had one attached to the back of the house in Cape Town and put high shelving & a ladder in it for Their majesties' exercise. With all the killer dogs and mad drivers (etc) it felt a lot safer. It's not that common in SA so I got a few comments and strange looks but who cares. A local fencing co did me a great one and it wasn't any more expensive than a handyman but you could do it yourself quite easily. Depending on how active Samui is, it doesn't have to be huge, just have sun and shade and good places to sleep lol. Good for security too - I used to sit in it and read my book in the sun (getting v nostalgic here). I would def put in a lockable gate. And grass - they liked the long strands that the mower couldn't cut at the edge of the wire. We first used chicken wire but it rusted in the winter, so 'upgraded'  ;D  to heavier grade galvanised and grew (kitty safe) plants up it.  We put some shadecloth over the top too in the summer months. In the end, a friend wanted one for her unruly toddlers  :rofl:
I would def go for one if possible.  How is Samui's eye doing?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »
HI

Cat run in my opinion are very very good things, you need to make sure they are totally escape proof and if you feel you perhaps live in a dodgy area or would be worried about neighbours gaining access to your cats then you fit some sort of lock but apart from that its a way for cats to get outside, get fresh air, take excercise but be totally safe at the same time.  It has certainly worked for me for many years now.   You could have a plain run or one which combines some sort of housing/shelter.  This can be totally independant of the property or if you are lucky you may be able to attach it to the house where the cats can come and go inside or out by way of a catflap.

I had to take down our very large run which was delapitated and no longer escape proof and we replaced it with a smaller and far less exciting one since our property is also on the market we just went for a bare minimum for them to get outdoor access but you can really make it fufulling with walkways , big branches/tree trunks etc.

I am lucky, our cats can come and go through a catflap, down a wee ramp directly into the cat run, then from this they can pass through another catflap entering their "cat shed" , pic enclosed sorta gives you the idea , it wasnt finished at this point (hubby was in the shed about to cut hole for that flap)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
Cat Runs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 09:20:31 AM »
Heya everyone
I have a question...  what do you think about cat runs?  After Samui's eye incident someone mentioned this to me and I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing.  Any suggestions, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Oh, Samui and Sullivan says hello to all....

Link to CatChat