Author Topic: How much food?  (Read 3951 times)

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
Re: How much food?
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 15:37:09 PM »
Thanks all for your replies.

there's such a huge difference in calories between one food and the other, so guess it's just trial and error - what they like and what keeps their weight stable at the desired weight.

I think you are spot on there.

This time tomorrow I will be collecting my furbabies!!

Lisa

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »
there's such a huge difference in calories between one food and the other, so guess it's just trial and error - what they like and what keeps their weight stable at the desired weight.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 11:18:24 AM »
Molly rarely eats more than one pouch a day, and I have cut back on her dry food at the moment.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »
We usually allow 1 pouch am and 1 pm or 1/4 tin am & 1/4 tin pm. I think a lot of people overfeed their cats. My Tricky weighed almost 8kg yet never had more than 2 pouches a day or half a tin. I also have an old  cat Gypsy who  weighs barely 2kg and she eats the same amount.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:37:28 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 10:13:44 AM »
It's amazing that he can maintain his weight with one pouch a day  :Crazy:

When I see what Clapton eats - costs me a bomb as well  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
Jess weighs 5.5kg and gets 50g (half a pouch) in the mornings and then the same in the evenings, Jess is on renal food.

We don't know what Milo weighs but his as light as a feather, he has a whole pouch (100g) of felix morning and night,

Milo also has between 10-15g of JWB biscuits just before we leave the house and just before bed, when Milo has these Jess has a heaped teaspoon of more wet food as he now can't have biscuits.

Both cats are fiarly active indoor cats, Milo runs around more than Jess though.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 06:46:19 AM »
Mine get 2 pouches a day plus there is dried down 24/7!  ;)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 06:14:32 AM »
Charlie is greedy, he has about 5/6 pouches a day, wont touch dry food and then bits of chicken when he has his ears done.  He maintans the same weight but is very very very very very very active.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 23:46:51 PM »
3 small meat meals each a day plus a bowl of dry food to share that's topped up daily. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 23:36:53 PM »
Jaffa has 3 pouches of wet food a day.  He's a 10 yr old indoor cat weighing 4.8 kg.  He also has 4 natures menu treats each day.  He maintains his weight nicely  ;D  Mosi has 1.5 pouches of wet food a day plus about 20-30g dry food.  I'm not sure what he weighs, but probably a little less than Jaffa.  They are both fairly active for indoor cats.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 23:17:25 PM »
I give a bowl of bisquits in the morning (roughly a standard sized scoop) - he won't eat all of it, so will snack on the rest throughout the day.
For dinner: 1 pouch of Hi Life, that I mix with slightly warmed water, as he'll drink the gravy first. (fussy drinker)
If there are any scraps going (like chicken, fish or other meat) I might give him a small treat, but rarely - not more than once a week if that.

My cat used to be fed way more than he would eat before we adopted him. This only resulted in food being wasted, so I monitored him for a few weeks to get an idea of what he will actually eat, and in one day he will not eat more than about a scoop of bisquits and a 100g pouch (that he usually doesn't finish anyway!) I also give him a dental stick per day (the kind that you can give daily) - he will make a fuss if he doesn't get one daily.

Edited to say that he weighs 5 kilos and is an active outdoor/indoor cat.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 23:46:52 PM by jamesonsmum »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 18:41:48 PM »
It might do mine a favour when I am out all day as they are used to me being at their beck & call.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 18:41:27 PM »

Are your new furbys kittens? Best to feed them little and often as they have smaller stomachs.

No they are 2 and a half.  I am having them from a lady who is soon to be emigrating and although I have asked a lot of questions (I know what food they are partial to) it slipped my mind to ask how much.  Obviously I will ask on Saturday, I just wanted a sort of guide in the meantime and thought I would ask you very knowledgable people  ;) ;)

Thanks
Lisa

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 18:40:40 PM »
My two eat a pouch of Felix in the morning and another at night. If they get peckish between meals, I give them some Ollies biccies, but they don't alway ask for it. They also like the odd scrap of what I'm cooking, but only if it won't hurt them.  :sneaky:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 18:34:52 PM »
I use a 400g tin for breakfast and then 6-8 pouches (depending if they 85g or 100g) through the day for 6 cats. If you use good quality food you generally need less as they are richer/fattier.
They get a little dry daily. Scraps/raw food as available :cook:

Milly & Lola are a little porky but the others are just right  :Luv:

Are your new furbys kittens? Best to feed them little and often as they have smaller stomachs.

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 18:28:26 PM »
 :thanks:  everyone.  It seems that it really does vary from cat to cat.

When I get my 2 I will just put down food and go from there.

Lisa

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 18:09:30 PM »
3 pouches plus dry + treats some days miss piggy   :innocent:      But mostly 2 pouches plus dry

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 17:48:07 PM »
Xanthe eats 1 pouch a day, plus some dried, and sometimes an extra meal of a second pouch, fish or meat too if she's hungry.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 17:40:22 PM »
Willow eats a pouch a day + some dry, Clapton eats about 6 pouches a day but no dry, Alice eats about 4 pouches a day, Kylie eats only dry + fish.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 17:34:48 PM »
My 7 month old doesn't really eat much to be honest. He eats 1/2 a pouch in the am and 1/2 a pouch in the pm. I leave a bit of dry down which he always eats. I've tried him with 1 pouch per meal but he never finishes it. He's putting on plenty of weight, growing like a weed and has tons of energy so I don't worry. He does drink as I frequently hear him .. gawd he's a slurper.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 17:28:39 PM »
I give Blip one 85g pouch (Gourmet Pearl) in the morning and one 100g pouch (Natures Menu) in the evening.  I mix slightly warmed water into the Natures Menu to make it sloppy as she likes that.

I also leave down a few kibbles of dried food at all times - she eats very little of that - and, of course, plenty of fresh water.

At the weekend she has a pouch of Almo Nature tuna with cheese (her favourite treat).

Blip is 4.6 kg and this amount of food is not untypical, I have noticed.  Hope this helps...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 17:05:46 PM »
This has come up loads of times before, the best thing to do is to see how much your cat wants to eat, and it does depend on what kind of food - if I give one of my fosters pouches, he will wolf one and ask for a second, if I am using tinned food, I Can use one tin between the four of them, despite one pouch and a 1/4 of a tin both being 100g. For my own cats, I give half a pouch and if they wolf it and are still hungry, they get the other half. Some days they do, some they dont.
Please spay your cat

Offline likabu

• Adult Cat
How much food?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 17:01:07 PM »
 :-[ Ok, roughly because I know every cat has different needs dependant on age and breed, but how much food (wet food) does a cat eat a day?  Ooo and I know that different food comes in different forms, tins, pouches etc and these have different weights on them but if someone could tell me roughly 2 pouches a day or 12(!)

Lisa

Link to CatChat