Author Topic: Diabeties and steroids  (Read 2021 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Diabeties and steroids
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 11:18:43 AM »
Does he itch when off the steriods ? 

have you tried antihistamines etc ?  these can be very effective although obviously not eliminating the causal agent, however that is sometimes very hard to do.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 23:25:44 PM »
Have you tried a diet change to combat either of the issues? Just wondering because change to a predominantly meat diet seems to be helping LJ's blood sugar levels dramatically.

I really hope you can resolve this issue. What sort of skin complaint is it?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 17:45:28 PM »
I do hope you can come up with a solution.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 16:09:53 PM »
He has a bad skin complaint which we treat with six weekly steroid injections. I knew this was never ideal but I felt that it worked very well and that it gave him a good quality of life without too many dreaded tests to go through.

So he has been a bit unwell- sleepy, woozy and drinking vast amounts- literally only for the last few days and the vet has just diagnosed diabeties.

Its such a shame that the steroids have caused the diabetes in the first place, you hear of this quite a lot. Would it be worth seeing if a homeopathic vet could help with the skin problems? certainly it would do no harm and a good homeopathic vet can bring about some outstanding results and if it would mean being able to stop the steroids - the diabetes could be treated. You can find homeopathic vets here: http://www.bahvs.com/findavet.htm

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 16:01:44 PM »
Have a look at this site which has come from our links

http://www.sugarpet.net/whatisit.html#causes

I have left it on a page where it mentions steroids and I think you need to cross question your vet severely on this.

I dont know anything about the subject , I hasten to add but this site  seems very good,

We also have others on Purrs with cats who have diabetes.

Do not give up hope and its possible that the steroids your cat is on do not cause diabetes and even if they do , I suspect there is no reason why she/he has to come off them to be treated with insulin.

Offline Paws

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 15:54:52 PM »
I think is because the steroids caused the diabeties and therefore would be no point treating with insulin whilst carrying on the thing that makes it worse...

Yes- very high sugar levels to treat with insulin tablets at first I think. I am waiting for the vet to give more answers tomorrow..

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 15:49:44 PM »
Did the vet say why he has to come off the steroids? It doesnt sound like an option.

Are his sugar levels very high and what does he suggest as treatment for the diabetes?

Offline Paws

• Adult Cat
Diabeties and steroids
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 15:37:57 PM »
I have a cat who is about 17 or 18 and whom up until very recently has had a really good quality of life (well in the two years with us anyway).

He has a bad skin complaint which we treat with six weekly steroid injections. I knew this was never ideal but I felt that it worked very well and that it gave him a good quality of life without too many dreaded tests to go through.

So he has been a bit unwell- sleepy, woozy and drinking vast amounts- literally only for the last few days and the vet has just diagnosed diabeties.

To treat the diabeties he will have to come off the steroids and I don't think this is an option as noone can suggest an alternative that will mean he is comfortable. But obviously I can't not treat the diabeties so what do I do?? I always said that if this happened it would be kinder to put him to sleep than to take him off his steroids as he literally tears himself apart without them but is that too dramatic? I don't know what I am supposed to do for the best for him  :'(

Link to CatChat